Comic Relief: Satirical Tweets and Memes

Hugo Stiglitz

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALEXANDRIA, VA—In an effort to showcase the former Trump campaign manager’s most positive attributes, Angolan war criminal Abilio Macanga was called to act as a character witness Friday in the Paul Manafort fraud trial. “Paul is a savvy businessman, an upstanding member of his community, and, above all else, one of my closest friends,” said Macanga, a warlord personally responsible for the brutal slaughter of thousands of innocent women and children during the Angolan Civil War. “When I was down on my luck during a particularly difficult diamond smuggling operation, Paul stood by me. And when I was almost assassinated in a coup by my own soldiers, Paul lent me the money to pay the mercenary I used to hunt down and murder the families of those who betrayed me. I wouldn’t be where I am today if it weren’t for that defendant right there, Paul Manafort.” At press time, Manafort’s defense called up their next witness, a trembling former intern who insisted his boss was a great guy who never once threatened to break his fucking legs so bad he’d be walking sideways the rest of his life.

https://politics.theonion.com/angolan-war-criminal-called-in-as-character-witness-to-1828084812

15 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I... this isn't making fun of a party, but this is the most unlikely lyric drop I think I've ever seen

for reference

For those that don't know Ari Melber at MSNBC's shtick is dropping rap lyrics to wrap up the days events at the end of his show. Nice job by the guest to play off it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maddieberg/2018/01/16/mixing-rap-and-politics-msnbcs-ari-melber-produces-a-hit/

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

None of these are remotely funny.  They're not even attempting to be clever.  

SOmetimes reality is more cynical than it is funny, therefore you must find humor in the reality of what we can (& cannot) change...

Fair point, but cynicism in and of itself is not humorous.  Cynicism as performance, visual art, certain prose, and definitely in standup comedy can be very funny.  But another layer has to be added.  Comedians like Lenny Bruce, David Cross, and even Louis C.K. are extremely cynical of society and institutions.  But their views are nothing terribly new or insightful.  They added another layer of personal experience, timing, acerbic wit, and performance polish that made their cynicism damn funny---to the point that it elevates arguments in society at large.  

This is where a lot of young comics and artists, and even actors fail miserably.  It's one thing to have the thought, another thing to point it out, and another thing to draw attention to one's commentary on the "societal or institutional ill."  But some "smart" copy thrown on top of it doesn't make it funny, it makes it cliche.  

This was just a lame attempt at something comical, it belongs on other threads---not this one.  And the reason I'm chopping it up a bit is because it's endemic of something wrong on both sides of the political spectrum right now.  Cynicism, even with sarcasm and visual aides and laugh tracks, ain't funny by itself.  On this particular topic of wealth inequality, Eddie Izzard makes me cry laughing and changes my voting patters because his cynicism is so fucking funny and poignant.  Shit like this just makes me think, "Yep, dumbasses like this are why Brexit looked appealing."  /rant

And the math on why literally half the globe now lives a relatively "middle class" lifestyle isn't due to any government program from what even Brookings says. 

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Fair point, but cynicism in and of itself is not humorous.  Cynicism as performance, visual art, certain prose, and definitely in standup comedy can be very funny.  But another layer has to be added.  Comedians like Lenny Bruce, David Cross, and even Louis C.K. are extremely cynical of society and institutions.  But their views are nothing terribly new or insightful.  They added another layer of personal experience, timing, acerbic wit, and performance polish that made their cynicism damn funny---to the point that it elevates arguments in society at large.  

This is where a lot of young comics and artists, and even actors fail miserably.  It's one thing to have the thought, another thing to point it out, and another thing to draw attention to one's commentary on the "societal or institutional ill."  But some "smart" copy thrown on top of it doesn't make it funny, it makes it cliche.  

This was just a lame attempt at something comical, it belongs on other threads---not this one.  And the reason I'm chopping it up a bit is because it's endemic of something wrong on both sides of the political spectrum right now.  Cynicism, even with sarcasm and visual aides and laugh tracks, ain't funny by itself.  On this particular topic of wealth inequality, Eddie Izzard makes me cry laughing and changes my voting patters because his cynicism is so fucking funny and poignant.  Shit like this just makes me think, "Yep, dumbasses like this are why Brexit looked appealing."  /rant

And the math on why literally half the globe now lives a relatively "middle class" lifestyle isn't due to any government program from what even Brookings says. 

Good points, but everyone may consume humor totally different than that of one opinion in unison... #WeAllConsumeDifferentlyInHumor

imgur