2017-18 Spurs Thread: Probably no buckets for Kawhi

Radical Larry

59 minutes ago, Kermit said:

If Jeff Van Gundy were to disappear tomorrow, and not be seen again for let’s say eternity, would you miss him?

I take it you don't enjoy his commentary... That's when i use mute & stream the team affiliate station...

10 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Once manu and tony retire, there seriously no one on the team that id definitely want to stay.  

True. The roster is overwhelmingly underwhelming for the most part. I'm still scratching my head over the money they handed a washed up Gasol.

40 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

How did we get to this point. Can we go back to last year when everyone was shitting on Aldridge and loved Kawhi.

Yeah, I would prefer that myself. It was just a year ago that I took solace in having arguably the best player in the NBA. "Well at least we got Aldridge" just doesn't do it.

So if Kawhi surprises everyone and comes back in game 3 or even next season and says he's all in on the Spurs and he just wanted to make sure he was healthy and ready to go, do you welcome him back or do you still hate him? Just a question that I'm asking myself too.

I am still holding out hope that he's just working on getting healthy and really wants to be with the Spurs, but every day it gets harder to believe that.

12 minutes ago, hornfan785 said:

So if Kawhi surprises everyone and comes back in game 3 or even next season and says he's all in on the Spurs and he just wanted to make sure he was healthy and ready to go, do you welcome him back or do you still hate him? Just a question that I'm asking myself too.

I am still holding out hope that he's just working on getting healthy and really wants to be with the Spurs, but every day it gets harder to believe that.

Depends.... does he want the super max without proving himself healthy?  We know he's not going to play the rest of the season, so if "his people" demand the super max or demand a trade.... he can go pound sand.  I think we're past all of this anyway.  He seems like he's out.  Let's see what we can get for him regardless of what "his people" want for a destination.

14 minutes ago, hornfan785 said:

I won't hate him either way. If he doesn't at least try to get back into the flow of things as a Spur, I'll certainly be disappointed, though. Regardless of what we net in return in a trade. 

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

I won't hate him either way. If he doesn't at least try to get back into the flow of things as a Spur, I'll certainly be disappointed, though. Regardless of what we net in return in a trade. 

Prepare yourself for disappointment. 

On 4/14/2018 at 4:13 PM, kopp0e said:

Man, if he really said something like that, Kawhi would be the Dez Bryant on the NBA...

Of course he didn’t actually say that. Do you really think mute kawhi would ever come out and say something controversial like that. It’s certainly implied by his actions though, and after a certain point, I don’t blame him. I just wish him and his team would be a little more transparent. Or just fucking say something. Anything. For as much shit as certain superstars around the league get, I’m kinda surprised he isn’t getting ridiculed more by the media 

I disagree.  That's exactly how pop would've reacted to any of his players in this situation.  He's not someone to triangulate.  

Kawhi is not with the team because of what Ginobili said.  The thought of him returning this year is a distraction.

I fully expect him to resign this summer and be back next year.  

Kawhi team isn't saying anything because anything they say will jeopardize any leverage they may have this summer.  

If Kawhi wanted out and his team wanted to screw the spurs, they'd come out and say that Kawhi wants to leave.  Then they could destroy any leverage the Spurs have.  Like what Kyrie did.  

Edited by EvilCaseMcCoy

10 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Kawhi team isn't saying anything because anything they say will jeopardize any leverage they may have this summer.  

If Kawhi wanted out and his team wanted to screw the spurs, they'd come out and say that Kawhi wants to leave.  Then they could destroy any leverage the Spurs have.  Like what Kyrie did.  

They have destroyed his leverage and the Spurs leverage. Kawhi ain’t getting the super max, and the Spurs are going to be lowballed on every trade offer. And it has the potential to get worse.

17 minutes ago, Kermit said:

They have destroyed his leverage and the Spurs leverage. Kawhi ain’t getting the super max, and the Spurs are going to be lowballed on every trade offer. And it has the potential to get worse.

Just wait until Kawhi tells the Spurs he will only accept a trade to about 4 teams and that he will refuse to sign a long term contract with any team besides those 4.  Cause that's what Kyrie did.

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Just wait until Kawhi tells the Spurs he will only accept a trade to about 4 teams and that he will refuse to sign a long term contract with any team besides those 4.  Cause that's what Kyrie did.

I don't think they'll care..... Some organizations may chance it like OKC did and the Spurs will take whatever deal they feel gives them the best chance to build for the future.  And whatever he does, he's giving up a potential 70 million, if and when he decides he'd like to go his own way.

38 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Why would both parties destroy their leverage?  The Spurs can just hold onto him for another year while he sits out.  A young guy wasting two good years out of spite seems like a dumb move.  

Again, the last thing we've heard from Kawhi himself was that he wants to remain a Spur for life.  Everything else is reading between the lines drama. 

Edited by EvilCaseMcCoy

4 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Why would both parties destroy their leverage?  The Spurs can just hold onto him for another year while he sits out.  A young guy wasting two good years out of spite seems like a dumb move.  

Again, the last thing we've heard from Kawhi himself was that he wants to remain a Spur for life.  Everything else is reading between the lines drama. 

Coach doesn’t know what’s up. Teammates ain’t heard from him or see him. Won’t show up to the games. Major NBA writers with sources in both camps commenting on the disconnect. GM’s from other teams circling. That “between the lines drama” is at a “Requiem for a Dream” level.

While Leonard is Uber talented, he's fucked up his leverage by shitting on the spurs docs, who are ultra conservative and a reason why Duncan respected pop more for not risking his health. I doubt the spurs would sit him another year out of spite and trade him out right for whatever we can get. All of this supposes he doesn't resign. Even if he does resign, does he this fracture team trust in him? Who knows.