2017-18 Spurs Thread: Probably no buckets for Kawhi

Radical Larry

8 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Forbes and Patty guarding Klay is just horrible coaching.

Not much you can do once Durant is on the court with him. Somebody is going to have a size mismatch. Only player that really has a chance to check either is Green with no Kawhi. 

Edited by texasstrong12

9 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Did you perhaps watch Forbes play tonight?

Both aren't ready for this series. That's the problem. There's no match up in this series that's favorable for us when Durant and Thompson are on the court together. The Spurs started throwing bigger defenders at Durant after game 1 which is now allowing Thompson to go off.  

Edited by texasstrong12

Boston is the most talked about destination for KL, right? I just don't see Ainge parting with Brown or Tatum, which is what it would take I think. Would probably be the best outcome.... I just don't see it.

If we rule out Boston, then I think RC takes calls from friends of the family first. Philly (Colangelo/Brett Brown), Brooklyn (Marks), and Utah (Lindsey/Snyder) come to mind - in that order. No way they want to keep him in the West. Where else does RC or Pop have front office deciphals? Maybe if Bud gets the Suns gig there are some discussions to be had. Wasn't the rumor that they wanted to trade up in last summer's draft for Jackson?

1 minute ago, Lat22 said:

Probably been discussed somewhere in this thread, but how many more games would this team have won with a healthy Kawhi? I’m thinking not very many.

Numerous fourth quarter collapses this year.  I'm guessing having one of the top five players in the league stems some of that.  

I sure can't fault our guys' effort. I just fault the rusting hulk of a roster we're now running out there every night. And that isn't on the players, really. I'm not even sure to what extent it's on the front office.

I honestly feel it's just that we've somehow just dodged bullet after bullet since The Big Three started to age, and now we see that you really can't overcome bad draft positioning and a lack of free agent allure for two decades. Not quite, anyway. Only the acumen of PATFO and our core group, infused with Kawhi dropping out of the sky and guys like Belinelli and Diaw becoming available to complete title runs, helped us get this far. Now, with a sudden turn of bad injury luck with our franchise guy, we've been left exposed as what we now are: a really old, slow, unathletic team with a great PF and a bunch of has-beens and never-weres playing against the world's most elite rosters in their prime. No wonder we're in a bit of trouble.  

8 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Wasted a great one from LMA and a good Patty game.  Even Pau was good tonight.  We battled but our offense is fucking terrible.

I wouldn't call this a good Patty game. He missed some 3s in the first half that advanced analytics guys would call 'wide motherfucking open' and finished 3/9 on the night. Aside from those back-to-back hero two-pointers that he put up in the 3rd or 4th quarter, he played pedestrian basketball.

Danny on the other hand is a complete liability, and is making Pop pay for bringing him back off the bench in hopes that playoff Danny would show up. I'm 90% done with him. He's 30 years old and is still "developing" his offensive game. And the one thing he could do well he only does well at home now, and even then you're lucky to find a sliver of those 2014 performances.

29 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I sure can't fault our guys' effort. I just fault the rusting hulk of a roster we're now running out there every night. And that isn't on the players, really. I'm not even sure to what extent it's on the front office.

I honestly feel it's just that we've somehow just dodged bullet after bullet since The Big Three started to age, and now we see that you really can't overcome bad draft positioning and a lack of free agent allure for two decades. Not quite, anyway. Only the acumen of PATFO and our core group, infused with Kawhi dropping out of the sky and guys like Belinelli and Diaw becoming available to complete title runs, helped us get this far. Now, with a sudden turn of bad injury luck with our franchise guy, we've been left exposed as what we now are: a really old, slow, unathletic team with a great PF and a bunch of has-beens and never-weres playing against the world's most elite rosters in their prime. No wonder we're in a bit of trouble.  

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by PantsTent

34 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I honestly feel it's just that we've somehow just dodged bullet after bullet since The Big Three started to age, and now we see that you really can't overcome bad draft positioning and a lack of free agent allure for two decades. Not quite, anyway. Only the acumen of PATFO and our core group, infused with Kawhi dropping out of the sky and guys like Belinelli and Diaw becoming available to complete title runs, helped us get this far. Now, with a sudden turn of bad injury luck with our franchise guy, we've been left exposed as what we now are: a really old, slow, unathletic team with a great PF and a bunch of has-beens and never-weres playing against the world's most elite rosters in their prime. No wonder we're in a bit of trouble.  

Spurs are playing against THE elite roster.  Any other team missing their top player (dpoy, all nba, mvp runner up) will look a lot like these spurs.  Warriors are an anomaly.  

1 minute ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Spurs are playing against THE elite roster.  Any other team missing their top player (dpoy, all nba, mvp runner up) will look a lot like these spurs.  Warriors are an anomaly.  

True. But we've also looked pitiful against a bunch of decidedly non-elite rosters this season. I just feel we're sucking the last drop of water from this canteen in Death Valley.

Just now, Kermit said:

The Spurs gave everything they had last night and still fell way short. They have no answer for KD and Klay Thompson is en fuego and is being guarded by midgets.

In the words of Barkley, "They ain't good enough." I don't think it's much more complicated than that.

2 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

I wouldn't call this a good Patty game. He missed some 3s in the first half that advanced analytics guys would call 'wide motherfucking open' and finished 3/9 on the night. Aside from those back-to-back hero two-pointers that he put up in the 3rd or 4th quarter, he played pedestrian basketball.

Danny on the other hand is a complete liability, and is making Pop pay for bringing him back off the bench in hopes that playoff Danny would show up. I'm 90% done with him. He's 30 years old and is still "developing" his offensive game. And the one thing he could do well he only does well at home now, and even then you're lucky to find a sliver of those 2014 performances.

Agree with all of this.

All the Kawhi talk has rightfully overshadowed the fact that Danny Green is a free agent this Summer. I heard some rumblings awhile back that some people in the organization thought Pop was purposefully benching him in fourth quarters to devalue him on the free agent market. But he's an abortion right now. I don't think there is anything anybody could do to lower his market value more than the giant turd he's laying out there.

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They played hard. If they even shoot remotely decent from three they at least would have had a chance. LA was great. Gay was really good. 

The Spurs (in my opinion) actually out-hustled & out played the Warriors, but the stretches where shots could not find the bucket gave GS time to warm up & pull away...

2 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

True. But we've also looked pitiful against a bunch of decidedly non-elite rosters this season. I just feel we're sucking the last drop of water from this canteen in Death Valley.

True.  It gonna get worse before it gets better imo.

2 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

In the words of Barkley, "They ain't good enough." I don't think it's much more complicated than that.

Yea we're spoiled.  There's 30 teams that aren't good enough every year.  

Eh ... maybe, maybe not.  Season averages:

Green: 36 % ... 1.4+ 3PM for same number of 3PA

Mills: 37% ... 1.73+ 3PM "

Gay: 31% ... 1.65+ 3PM "

Bertans: 37% ... 2.81+ 3PM "

For a grand total of 7.59+ 3PM.  Rounding up that's 23 points lost compared to season averages ... almost there over the first two games (-36)!

8 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Pop and RC have some decisions to make with this roster going forward. A lot of dead weight on this team.

I don't think there's a lot of dead weight as much as there isn't enough star power without Kawhi. 

The Spurs have a roster full of role players which isn't going to get the job done against a team with 3 to 4 All Star caliber players. 

Edited by texasstrong12

8 hours ago, ZanTheFan said:

Boston is the most talked about destination for KL, right? I just don't see Ainge parting with Brown or Tatum, which is what it would take I think. Would probably be the best outcome.... I just don't see it.

If we rule out Boston, then I think RC takes calls from friends of the family first. Philly (Colangelo/Brett Brown), Brooklyn (Marks), and Utah (Lindsey/Snyder) come to mind - in that order. No way they want to keep him in the West. Where else does RC or Pop have front office deciphals? Maybe if Bud gets the Suns gig there are some discussions to be had. Wasn't the rumor that they wanted to trade up in last summer's draft for Jackson?

Best trade idea I've seen is Saric, Fultz and a first rounder for Kawhi. 

If I'm the Spurs, I would not turn that down if they are forced to make a trade. Saric is legit, Fultz still has a lot of talent, plus a semi-decent draft pick. 

I think I actually like the Sixers trade idea better than the Celtics trade ideas being floated around. That has a lot to do with the fact I think Saric is really good. 

Edited by texasstrong12

This is the idea being floated around. I think Spurs fans would be opposed to trading Murray, but I haven't seen anything that tells me he's substantially better than Fultz. While different positions, a player like Covington is better than Murray.

Edited by texasstrong12

14 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

This is the idea being floated around. I think Spurs fans would be opposed to trading Murray, but I haven't seen anything that tells me he's substantially better than Fultz. While different positions, a player like Covington is better than Murray.

Floated around by who?  Two am radio guys from Philly?  They aren't really anyone..... We're not giving up both Kawhi and Murray for that package.  If they want to assume Patty's deal, we would probably think about it.