Poultry Dry Rubs

Jameslaw121

Do you make a paste with butter and then rub it under the skin? If not, then do that.

Look up a recipe for tandoori chicken. Do that.

Whole Foods makes a herb blend called Mediterranean Herb Poultry run, (or something like that). Rub your bird with olive oil and then liberally apply.

Trader Joe's makes a blend called Sambal Matah. It's an Indonesian inspired wet spice blend. Use that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Dry brine overnight with salt, baking powder, and what ever seasonings you like.  Baking powder makes the skin really crispy.

On the baking powder. do you just mix it in with the seasonings? Whenever i make my generic one, I make about a quart at a time and save them in mason jars. Can I just add the baking soda to that, or should I add that separately? 

1 hour ago, Spur08 said:
23 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:
Dry brine overnight with salt, baking powder, and what ever seasonings you like.  Baking powder makes the skin really crispy.

Is this for real? I've never heard of this method.

Yes. And do the same for when you spatchcock your turkey in a few weeks.  Hmm, do we have a spatchcock thread yet...

Yes. And do the same for when you spatchcock your turkey in a few weeks.  Hmm, do we have a spatchcock thread yet...

That's when I do it. I usually don't waste a lot of time on cooking chicken. Spatchcocked the turkey last year for the first time and practiced on a chicken the week before (not the way aggy practices with livestock).

On 10/20/2018 at 10:59 AM, Wiler77 said:

How about some Jerk seasoning?  That pretty much kills on all poultry.

Does anyone have a good jerk recipe?  I want to make some jerk chicken here soon.  Would buy pre-made if I have to, but I'd rather be able to make it (and tweak it) myself.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Does anyone have a good jerk recipe?  I want to make some jerk chicken here soon.  Would buy pre-made if I have to, but I'd rather be able to make it (and tweak it) myself.

Dry jerk seasoning or jerk marinade?  The below dry rub is awesome on wings.  It's what Plucker's used.  I imagine it's great on other cuts as well, and I plan to try it on salmon in the near future.

I have't found a marinade that particularly blew me away.  I've tried my own and I've tried stuff in a jar.  It was all a bit "meh". 

81-HKoZqhhL._SY355_.jpg

Used to cook a whole chicken in the oven about once a week or so. All I ever used was EVOO, S+P and Herbs de Provence. If I was to start doing it again, I think I'd draw some inspiration from the rotisserie chickens they've got at Central Market. They do 4-5 different variations it seems.

8 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

Dry jerk seasoning or jerk marinade?  The below dry rub is awesome on wings.  It's what Plucker's used.  I imagine it's great on other cuts as well, and I plan to try it on salmon in the near future.

I have't found a marinade that particularly blew me away.  I've tried my own and I've tried stuff in a jar.  It was all a bit "meh". 

81-HKoZqhhL._SY355_.jpg

Does that have any heat to it like real jerk does?

7 hours ago, Limp Brisket said:

For jerk chicken buy Walkerswood jerk seasoning paste.  It’s the real deal.

a2c14a21ee9c5fe3bfb5f13ef4fb1849.jpg

Yeah, but get the hot variety. 

ae672aea2acc43fd7d0cc2b900991316.500

It's a very thick paste. You'll want to shake/wipe off the excess before you grill your chicken or the skin won't get crispy. You might want to thin it out with a little oil so it can get into all the nooks and crannies of your bird. The hot & spicy has a nice kick but you can add hot sauce if you want to jack it up further. 

Here's the jerk marinade recipe from the Sugar Reef Caribbean Cookbook:

1 Tbsp ground allspice
1 Tbsp dried thyme
1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp ground sage
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup orange juice
Juice of one lime
1 Scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 cup chopped white onion
3 green onions finely chopped

That's their recipe. I use a half dozen habaneros, seeds and all, a half dozen garlic cloves instead of garlic powder, brown sugar instead of white, more thyme, a little more allspice, and throw in a few shots of dark rum. I'll throw that all in the blender and blend until smooth. They just use it as is. There's a lot of room for customization but it's a good base to start from. It's really good as a dipping sauce. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smax said:

I'm a fan of some the rubs these guys make https://www.oakridgebbq.com
We've had and recommend the Jamaican jerk, dominator sweet rub for ribs, secrete weapon for chicken and the santa Maria for trip tip

You cannot go wrong with those guys.  This is a good rec.  Simply Marvelous rubs are another quality rub.

On 10/23/2018 at 2:26 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Yeah, but get the hot variety. 

ae672aea2acc43fd7d0cc2b900991316.500

It's a very thick paste. You'll want to shake/wipe off the excess before you grill your chicken or the skin won't get crispy. You might want to thin it out with a little oil so it can get into all the nooks and crannies of your bird. The hot & spicy has a nice kick but you can add hot sauce if you want to jack it up further. 

Here's the jerk marinade recipe from the Sugar Reef Caribbean Cookbook:

1 Tbsp ground allspice
1 Tbsp dried thyme
1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp ground sage
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup orange juice
Juice of one lime
1 Scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 cup chopped white onion
3 green onions finely chopped

That's their recipe. I use a half dozen habaneros, seeds and all, a half dozen garlic cloves instead of garlic powder, brown sugar instead of white, more thyme, a little more allspice, and throw in a few shots of dark rum. I'll throw that all in the blender and blend until smooth. They just use it as is. There's a lot of room for customization but it's a good base to start from. It's really good as a dipping sauce. 

OK, how much of this shit do you put on something like chicken thighs.  Don't want to blow my kids' heads off with the heat.  The directions on the bottle are quire vague and the seasoning is quite spicy, but delicious.

On 10/23/2018 at 1:39 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

I'm sure this warning is unnecessary, but just in case...don't use the marinade you used to marinate the chicken as a dipping sauce or you might get sick and die. Reserve some to use as a dipping sauce. 

Or, throw it in a saucepan and bring it to a boil to kill all the bad shit and let the flavors meld even more. 

59 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

OK, how much of this shit do you put on something like chicken thighs.  Don't want to blow my kids' heads off with the heat.  The directions on the bottle are quire vague and the seasoning is quite spicy, but delicious.

I use enough to coat the meat and let it marinate in a plastic storage bag overnight. I'll rotate the bag and massage it around a couple of times. I just use my hand to wipe most of the excess spice off the meat before cooking.

• Like 1

I use enough to coat the meat and let it marinate in a plastic storage bag overnight. I'll rotate the bag and massage it around a couple of times. I just use my hand to wipe most of the excess spice off the meat before cooking.
Couldn't wait and had some last night with a 3 hour marinade. Wow. I'm hooked. And the family loved it.
  • Like 1