Going Forward -- Herman Needs to Be More Aggressive on Offense

LTtxfan

Time for Herman to Crank up this Offensive....Just like BlowU Game

Defense got exposed by Okie Lite.  Wheeler & Locke were on the bench a lot during the final 3-4 games of B12 Season in 2017.  Gonna need more points to beat West Virginia, Tech and Iowa State.....

Part of Scipio's write-up discusses this below....

"If you're interesting in assessing primary blame as to why Texas lost in Stillwater, look to the defense and some key mistakes on special teams. Refer to that sentence if you mistake any criticisms here for a defense of the Texas defense. 

If you concede the defense struggled and want to win the game anyway by exploiting a vulnerable and coverage predictable Cowboy defense, the Texas offense has to learn not to waste possessions. Four of the first six UT first half possessions encompassed 14 plays for a total of 22 yards. Times of possession? 1:20, 1:02, 1:02, 1:04. Including three failed possessions in a row after a score on the opening series while running tempo. While Texas did score 14 first half points, they had the ball on 7 individual first half possessions starting at the UT24 or better. So now we need to factor in pace and opportunity. A score on 28.6% of possessions against a Big 12 average defense just won't cut it - particularly when five of those possessions were effectively useless and didn't alter field position positively. 

Our offense played OSU about as well as Kansas did. 

By trying to focus on "ball control" and putting a natural cap on our offensive production with the kinds of routes our WRs were running (look at the early low reward/high risk far hash routes we had Ehlinger throwing) and a running game less interested in potentially gashing OSU's run blitzes, but in grinding away 2-3 yards at a time, Texas prevented itself from keeping the ball (or scoring points) and exposed a hapless Texas defense again and again. 

Real ball control involves moving the ball. Not purposefully capping big play opportunity. And ball control shouldn't be your goal against a feast-or-famine defense to begin with. We seemed to get this against OU and forgot it against OSU. 

This was the kind of early grind approach Texas needed to avoid and that it happened while OSU was ringing up the Texas defense with 31 1st half points was unfortunate. The idea that Texas is good enough to manhandle an opponent at the point of attack and impose their will just doesn't hold up to the season evidence. When Texas took advantage of fine pass protection and threw the ball aggressively down the field, good things happened. Long gains, pass interference penalties and, yes, moments of an effective running game. It also opened up everything underneath. 

There's a tendency in analyzing close games to forget wasted early possessions as attention narrows on the 4th quarter and the final few possessions. 35 points should be enough to win a game in a vacuum and that's exactly the kind of platitude we tend to spout after a loss when we're (rightfully) pissed at the Longhorn defense, but it wasn't enough to win this game, against this opponent. And Texas was fully capable of scoring more than 35 points against this opponent. So evaluate them to that standard, not some notion of 1980s football.

The final UT possession to narrow the lead to 3 points was also a frustrating rendition of the two minute drill. First, the QB should have more than one play at a time called so that they're not looking to the sideline and burning play clock. Second, you have to snap the moment you're set - particularly when the clock begins to run again after 1st down. Third, everyone has to run to get lined up. Fourth, 4-6 yard check downs in the middle of the field are fool's gold. You're playing clock, not the opponent. Any yardage gain less than 10 yards that doesn't go for a first down or doesn't end out bounds is a waste of opportunity and clock. You shouldn't even have a receiver standing there as an option unless the Cowboys have a ghost town in the middle of the field. They didn't. So you're effectively suckering your own QB. You also want to preserve time outs for the defense, so clock the ball rather than allow 25 seconds to tick off - you'll still have 3 downs. 

Texas burned 3:58 (we started with 5:44 on the clock) on that drive to go 75 yards and there were at least two instances where the play clock burned 20-25 seconds between plays. 3:58 represented UT's longest TOP for the game. By contrast, Texas's otherscoring drives were all 3:13 or less. Even one minute more on the clock means Texas doesn't have to onside kick (21% success rate) with sub 2:00 on the clock. Orlando's defense made that point moot, but I'd like to see the process played out correctly. "

Edited by LTtxfan

A lot has been made about how we play up or down to opponents, and I think that starts with how aggressively we call plays.

Look back at the first couple of drives against ou and usc.  We came out guns blazing on offense and set the tone for those games. 

Herman seems pretty calculated in his approach, and my guess is that he knows against better teams we're going to have to play aggressively to have a shot, so we call and play that way.

Against lesser teams he seems content to sit back and try some "safer" plays for a while just to see what works, and we look flat and uninspired.

I think Herman needs a little Mike Leach in his mentality.  We definitely play better when we play aggressive from the start, and part of that is attacking from the first drive. 

The 4th quarter of ou confirms that, even within the same game, we can be a hell of a team when we're taking the fight to them, and pretty damn bad when we just try to sit back and take what's there. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

A lot has been made about how we play up or down to opponents, and I think that starts with how aggressively we call plays.

Look back at the first couple of drives against ou and usc.  We came out guns blazing on offense and set the tone for those games. 

Herman seems pretty calculated in his approach, and my guess is that he knows against better teams we're going to have to play aggressively to have a shot, so we call and play that way.

Against lesser teams he seems content to sit back and try some "safer" plays for a while just to see what works, and we look flat and uninspired.

I think Herman needs a little Mike Leach in his mentality.  We definitely play better when we play aggressive from the start, and part of that is attacking from the first drive. 

The 4th quarter of ou confirms that, even within the same game, we can be a hell of a team when we're taking the fight to them, and pretty damn bad when we just try to sit back and take what's there. 

Good Stuff....

This Team needs more leadership from the Players.  And more of the guys on the offensive side of the ball seem to be the more mature leaders....... Guys like Beck, Ehlinger, Collin, Watson and Rodriguez.....

For this Longhorn Team to Win against WVU, Tech, ISU..... Offense has to play great and provide the Confidence and Leadership.....

On Defense... This team is reeling.  Might need to Drop the Dime package for awhile.....

LOL..... went looking for a Droppin Dimes gif and this showed up.....

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 6
  • Fuck You 1

Tom Herman his team will have to run the football against West Virginia. He said the best way to stop an offense like West Virginia is to keep them off the field. In addition, Herman said Texas has to score points. He is not expecting a 10-3 game

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't be surprised on Saturday when TEXAS opens up their passing game like they did against BlowU.  Herman has to get more defenders away from the line of scrimmage to open up the run game.  Use the TEXAS passing game to set up the Rushing Attack.....🤘
  • Like 1

Anybody who understands Herman's offense vs Riley's offense please explain why BlowU gets more WRs open in space than TEXAS?

(I'm sure respecting the BlowU WR's speed/quickness is part of answer, but sure seems like sooners offense also does a much better job of schematically spreading the field both vertically & horizontally thereby creating  more larger holes in defenses.)

Coach V's comment (below) reminded me of the above question:

"Maybe it’s just me but I have a hard time finding the separation needed with our guys (Texas) at times but our opponents somehow find a way to evade our coverages too damn often. It must be noted that we make more catches in traffic so I guess it all evens out in the long run. It sure would be nice to see us get a few more gimme’s though."

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

there was zero sense of urgency on offense until late in the 3rd quarter

it seemed the idea was that OkState somehow got really lucky to get those points and that was pretty much all they would score for the game so as long as Texas just followed the game plan they would score last and win by 1 or something

stupid penalties at HORRIBLE times did not help like a hold on a third down that would have resulted in a first down when you are at your own 4 yard line

but of course the stupid first down play to try and get a 30 yard streak which resulted in zero yards and left you in second and long from your own 4 then you run some shitty run play for 2 yards and you are at 3rd and 8 and pick up a hold.......just no effort to even consider getting a couple of first downs to at least make OkState work for points when they got the ball back especially with a punter that is not exactly lighting it up

there were a shit tonne of other terrible penalties at the worst times, but that one really stood out and the lack of urgency especially on offense was just shitty

• Like 1

Don’t think we have the personnel to ‘open up the playbook’.   We need to work clock and protect the defense that is pretty fragile right now.   A couple more dudes like Johnson that have sideline to sideline speed at linebacker and rover would be huge.   We still are going to get hit with some deep shots with the secondary but I can live with 14 points or so ... but I can’t stand what I see going on behind our 3 man front.  It’s crippling.  

Don’t think we have the personnel to ‘open up the playbook’.   We need to work clock and protect the defense that is pretty fragile right now.   A couple more dudes like Johnson that have sideline to sideline speed at linebacker and rover would be huge.   We still are going to get hit with some deep shots with the secondary but I can live with 14 points or so ... but I can’t stand what I see going on behind our 3 man front.  It’s crippling.  

We aren’t really working clock when we run tempo gain 7 yards due to conservative play calls/execution and punt.

My point is..... Quit being such a pussy on OffensIve Playcalling...... playing not to lose.....

We can outscore West Virginia if HERMANATOR gets aggressive...

Bust out the BIG BALLS on Offense this Saturday... 🤘

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

We need an actual real offense, let alone an actual, real, offensive coordinator

buuuuut we’ll keep fucking around with this dumbass setup/scheme/offense we have now and settle for 8-9 win seasons until herman is fired after year 5

I actually like our offensive setup. It’s unique compared to the rest of the league that’s filled with pass happy offenses, and I think it sets up well to take advantage of matchups with defenses not used to that style. ISU has done it in spurts with much lesser talent.

so while the offense is simple, it truly will come down to recruiting. As long as he keeps it going, he can keep it simple and likely have success.

last year he kept that simple approach but had guys like Terrell cuney and Tristan Nickelson give great effort, but that was nowhere near enough to cut it. The TCU game was atrocious. The simple approach is back and the team has a bit more experience running it, and it’s showing. It’s 11 personnel with wrinkles but nothing groundbreaking is doing alright, but Texas expects better than alright. Worth noting 6-2 beats the hell out of the last four years, but Hand needs the hogs for it to truly succeed.

“collaborative effort” as playcaller has been decent, but they do need a bone fide playcaller in this fine system to truly allow this program to take off under a promising head coach. 

REPEAT......alcohol induced rant

My point is..... Quit being such a pussy on OffensIve Playcalling...... playing not to lose.....

Edited by LTtxfan

8 minutes ago, randygilman said:

Worth noting 6-2 beats the hell out of the last four years, but Hand needs the hogs for it to truly succeed.

If the same OL that showed up for gooner shows up vs WVU, we have a shot. Run game then will be a real threat. If Vahe doesn't worry about his hair as much as the rush....

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

REPEAT......alcohol induced rant

My point is..... Quit being such a pussy on OffensIve Playcalling...... playing not to lose.....

LET'S GO HORNS .....BEAT THOSE F'N HILLBILLIES....🤘

Edited by LTtxfan

18 minutes ago, randygilman said:

I actually like our offensive setup. It’s unique compared to the rest of the league that’s filled with pass happy offenses, and I think it sets up well to take advantage of matchups with defenses not used to that style. ISU has done it in spurts with much lesser talent.

so while the offense is simple, it truly will come down to recruiting. As long as he keeps it going, he can keep it simple and likely have success.

last year he kept that simple approach but had guys like Terrell cuney and Tristan Nickelson give great effort, but that was nowhere near enough to cut it. The TCU game was atrocious. The simple approach is back and the team has a bit more experience running it, and it’s showing. It’s 11 personnel with wrinkles but nothing groundbreaking is doing alright, but Texas expects better than alright. Worth noting 6-2 beats the hell out of the last four years, but Hand needs the hogs for it to truly succeed.

“collaborative effort” as playcaller has been decent, but they do need a bone fide playcaller in this fine system to truly allow this program to take off under a promising head coach. 

This guy gets it.   The offense is not the costing us games right now.  

Our offense isn't explosive because

1) There is a dearth of explosive athletes at the skill positions.

2) The OL, while incredibly improved over last year, is still average to below average across the board. The only player that sticks out as above average is Cosmi. Not sure why Kerstetter got detention, but he's better than every other OL that currently starts outside Sam.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The OL, while incredibly improved over last year, is still average to below average across the board

They’re good enough to win games, which I’d venture is slightly above average. Nothing to write home about, but nothing to really launch vitriol against like last years

12 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

This guy gets it.   The offense is not the costing us games right now.  

Disagree.... Time for TEXAS Offense to step forward and score 42+ points verses F'N West Virginia Hillbillies...... Tired of this conservative offense bullshit especially at home.

Right now, I think TEXAS offense is better than the HORNS Defense.

LET'S GO HORNS..... 🤘

Edited by LTtxfan

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

2) The OL, while incredibly improved over last year, is still average to below average across the board. The only player that sticks out as above average is Cosmi. Not sure why Kerstetter got detention, but he's better than every other OL that currently starts outside Sam.

Watching Kerstetter, he might actually be better at tackle than interior right now. I imagine he gets the first crack at right tackle next season, assuming that Cosmi moves to the left side.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, randygilman said:

It’s Wednesday.

i like you’re style

Thanks.... Special on on Draft IPC  9.5% alcohol at Beer Club....

Just pissed.... Tired of playing Scared.... Not my style when I played. 🤘

Edited by LTtxfan

28 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

When in Doubt.....  Post pretty ladies on Surly

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

56 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Meant IPA's at 9.5%........ Sorry for typo

Still Want Herman to Be Aggressive on Offense Saturday vs WVU

To make up for error.....  Here's another pretty lady for Surly Folks......

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, randygilman said:

sticking to his guns and losing 2 of the next 3 will pay dividends.  winning 3 of the next 3 will pay dividends.

ferengi rules of acquistion #34 & #35.....

and their corrolary.... winning is hard.

parcells.

6 and 6 until proven otherwise.

12 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

We need an actual real offense, let alone an actual, real, offensive coordinator

buuuuut we’ll keep fucking around with this dumbass setup/scheme/offense we have now and settle for 8-9 win seasons until herman is fired after year 5

You are an idiot.

Our offense averages around 31 points per game and if we had a decent defense we would be just fine.

Our problems are not on offense.

4 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

You are an idiot.

Our offense averages around 31 points per game and if we had a decent defense we would be just fine.

Our problems are not on offense.

We are 6th in the big 12 in scoring offense and total offense. we are 55th and 65th, nationally. 

Thats bad, jackass

Edited by GreenspointTexas

58 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Our offense averages around 31 points per game

Which would have been impressive in 1988.

And that's not to be critical of even anyone on the staff, but to act as if watching this offense isn't very often at times akin to pulling teeth is to live in a fantasy world. This team isn't out of the woods yet by any means. They're certainly getting to that point, but the OSU game was a sobering reality check.

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

We are 6th in the big 12 in scoring offense and total offense. we are 55th and 65th, nationally. 

Thats bad, jackass

Your Stats point out that it's time for Herman to take the Restrictor Plates off his offense's playcalling against West Virginia.....

1) 8 games into this Season, the Texas OL is much better than 2017

2) Sam is learning to check the Offense into more favorable plays

3) In 2018, the Offense is protecting the football better

4) The Texas Defense is not generating enough stops and turnovers to expect that only 30 points will beat West Virginia....

5) Special Team play for TEXAS is not helping provide more points either.

Herman has to be more aggressive with this Texas Offense on Saturday to Beat West Virginia.....

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

IMO....I think Mensa is purposely slowing it down and trying to keep his own defense off the field. As we've seen throughout the season: no interior pass rush, meadoker LB play, bad judgment on deep passes and missed assignments in the secondary. 

Why do we want to score so damn fast so that our defense is exposed even more?

1 hour ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

IMO....I think Mensa is purposely slowing it down and trying to keep his own defense off the field. As we've seen throughout the season: no interior pass rush, meadoker LB play, bad judgment on deep passes and missed assignments in the secondary. 

Valid point for later in the game when your ahead.  But this Texas team has to start playing better early and play with a lead..... 

Being conservative on offense early in games while the opponents defenses are fresher and better able to stop the Horns running attack has caused  a lot of the slow starts for TEXAS.

Herman's aggressive playcalling early in the BlowU game resulted in the best offensive performance of the Season  for the first three quarters of that game.  If not for drive killing penalties in the 4th qtr, Texas' offense would have used the ball control you spoke of to keep Orlando's defense off the field.

But an aggressive offensive gameplan put Texas in the best position to Beat BlowU..... and the same is necessary to Win against West Virginia.

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

Doesn't matter if you're going up-tempo or not, you don't keep your defense off the field unless you move the chains.

I've watched most of UT's games this season.  The offense moves the chains when they're pushing the tempo.

Edited by Augustus
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 11:24 AM, LTtxfan said:

Your Stats point out that it's time for Herman to take the Restrictor Plates off his offense's playcalling against West Virginia.....

1) 8 games into this Season, the Texas OL is much better than 2017

2) Sam is learning to check the Offense into more favorable plays

3) In 2018, the Offense is protecting the football better

4) The Texas Defense is not generating enough stops and turnovers to expect that only 30 points will beat West Virginia....

5) Special Team play for TEXAS is not helping provide more points either.

Herman has to be more aggressive with this Texas Offense on Saturday to Beat West Virginia.....

giphy.gif

Texas defense probably gonna struggle today..... open up the offense Herman

13 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yet we scored too fast by throwing the bomb in this game. When your defense is playing like garbage it is hard to find just the right way to play offense.

Yeah.... In hindsight, would have been better to grind it out and score with only a few seconds left....

Still really proud how hard this Team played.... 41 points is great for this Longhorn Offense.....

HELL OF A FOOTBALL GAME.....

Edited by LTtxfan