Early 2000's B12 Coaches

Vertigo

After Gundy's latest classic rant, I started to reflect back on the B12 in its hay day and realized something that I would have to say is unprecedented. Between 2000-2005 most B12 schools had all time great coaches in their school history roaming the sidelines.

Texas - Mack Brown - 2nd Best/2nd Winningest

OU - Bob Stoops - Best/Winningest

Ok State - Mike Gundy (replaced Les Miles in 05) - Best/Winningest

Texas Tech - Mike Leach - Best/Winningest

Texas A&M - RC Slocum - Best/Winningest

Kansas State - Bill Snyder - Best/Winningest

Nebraska - Frank Solich - 2nd Best/2nd Winningest

Kansas - Mark Mangino - Best/Winningest

Iowa State - Dan McCarney- Best?/Winningest

Missouri - Gary Pinkel - Best/Winningest

As an asterisk, Gary Patterson was hired at TCU in the same time frame. 

That is a pretty incredible run when over 80% of the conference had all timers coaching against each other every week. I am not sure you could go through any other conference and find that much coaching talent grouped together in a similar span. People often dinged the B12 for not playing defense, but the truth is that these coaches were reinventing offensive football during this time and it took defensive coaches years to adjust.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Best is subjective, winningest is not. Bud and Barry cheated their asses off, same as Jackie Sherrill so I dinged them for best. 

Bud Wilkenson is the greatest coach in OU's history by a longshot. Bob Stoops is a DISTANT second. 

This "best" based on number of wins is akin to saying "Tony Romo is the best QB in Dallas Cowboys history because he passed for the most yards and touchdowns"

Edited by irishtexan

55 minutes ago, 'stache said:

According to wikipedia, Rich Rodriguez is West Virginia's second winningest coach (60 victories) and was there 2001-2007.  Holgy should overtake him soon (he has 53 victories).  Another astrik?

giphy.gif&key=2ad8035ee0a4a79621ab7247eb

36 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Gary Barnett at Colorado wasn't too bad a coach either.  I have no idea who was at Baylor.  I'm sure he sucked, but he probably didn't encourage his players to rape and pillage the campus.  

Barnett was a good coach, but not an all timer when you look at their history. I particularly enjoyed the 01 beatdown of Nebraska but did not particularly enjoy the 01 beatdown of Texas the following week. 

Pinkel was pretty perennially underrated for what he did at a program that had been awful for decades (although the effects of that weren't really until the late 2000s) but Dan Devine is probably Mizzou's best coach. Finished in the Top 20 9 out of his 13 years with 3 Top 6 finishes.

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Miles was never going to stay long term. At least LSU isn’t lateral. Gundy is probably the only guy we can expect might turn down offers from bigger programs. We’ve been lucky that he turned out to be a hell of a coach.

I can see Gundy having a Bill Snyderesque tenure in Stillwater. He has already been there for 13 years, and they have never really had a non competitive team during his time. They have been a factor in the conference race more times than not, and got screwed out of a MNC appearance. He has also successfully mullet slapped Tennessee twice and others who have dared pry him from T Boone. Seems like a lifer to me, or at least until T Boone passes on. 

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I can see Gundy having a Bill Snyderesque tenure in Stillwater. He has already been there for 13 years, and they have never really had a non competitive team during his time. They have been a factor in the conference race more times than not, and got screwed out of a MNC appearance. He has also successfully mullet slapped Tennessee twice and others who have dared pry him from T Boone. Seems like a lifer to me, or at least until T Boone passes on. 

I see that too...and the last couple of seasons, there seems to be a contingent dead set on canning his ass.

Weird.

On 10/30/2018 at 3:03 PM, Vertigo said:

Iowa State - Dan McCarney- Best?/Winningest

Pop Warner, Johnny Majors and Earle Bruce all had better winning % than Dan.  Also, Dan benefited from a big 12 north with a weakened UNL and a six win minimum for bowl eligibility.

In Earle Bruce's short time in Ames he beat good UNL teams back to back in '76&'77 and went to two Bowls.  Earl Bruce was our best coach.