2018 Fishing - Year of the big one

fattyflattie

20 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

The boy and I went to the ranch to check on our pet bass. Ma, we need a rain. The water levels in the tanks are waaaay down, and the water looks "thick" if that makes sense. I told the boy we weren't going to fish it...I can't imagine what oxygen levels are, and if we caught one, it might not survive the release. Hoping for the best. 

I know the feeling.  My little honey hole on Onion Creek is low, low, low.  What's usually a dammed up section of the creek that's 15' deep and about 1000 yds long is now a small pond that's maybe 4' deep at most and 200 yds long.  Lots and lots of bass, catfish, bluegills and a few crappie are consolidated to that tiny little area.  I really want to check it out, but I'm scared to see what I'll find which is why I've stayed away.  We need rain in a bad way, and even with some rain, it may be years before that little fishery recovers.

damn, sad to hear about the dude chasing the drifting boat.  i have a few rules on my boat.  if you are jumping in deep water, you must have on a life jacket.  the other rule is if we are just drifting and hanging out in the water, there are ropes hanging from the boat cleats.  someone is always holding onto the rope as the boat is drifting.  only take a few seconds to turn a great day on the lake into a tragedy.

We fished Powderhorn a couple weeks ago, and the south shoreline looked really good. Grass, but there's enough water in there that we weren't dragging it around. The water on that shoreline was gin clear, and we sight fished up a couple reds, and I got two shots at a Huuuuge Trout. There were also some bull black drum closer to that bulkhead that sticks out on the west end. I'm talking 40" class fish. 

• Like 1

thanks.  regularly i've been hitting POC and seadrift for 12 years.  never once been to powderhorn.  i guess it's time to pop that cherry.

from my research, it seems to produce on moving tide.  lucky me, there's a good outgoing tide (new moon) all day tomorrow.  will anchor and wade the bay side cuts from powderhorn.  if i don't catch fish in those two cuts on an outgoing tide, then it wasn't meant to be.

• Like 1

7e028916fe0cb13d3357368c16cfe4e6.jpg

Didn’t catch shit. Didn’t care.

I should post this in the trivial things that annoy thread, but when people go fishing and catch nothing and it ruins their week that drives me crazy. Same with hunting. It's getting out on the water or in the field that matters. Catching/killing something is gravy.
  • Like 4

Yep. The people watching alone makes it worth it. Great weather, calming sound of the surf and the amazing view all add to the experience. Hell, I enjoy just throwing the castnet. When I land something on the rods, it’s just that much more special.

DE/immortal/crash, yes the kid from ATM is who I’m referring to. Dad a Dr in Victoria iirc. Sad deal, entirely too young  

I’m not implying it happened in that case, but I think we are seeing more of it because people have replaced their danforths with power poles. Not safe imo, can’t believe so many people rely on it. 

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

DE/immortal/crash, yes the kid from ATM is who I’m referring to. Dad a Dr in Victoria iirc. Sad deal, entirely too young  

I’m not implying it happened in that case, but I think we are seeing more of it because people have replaced their danforths with power poles. Not safe imo, can’t believe so many people rely on it. 

Power pole is fine if you're staying on the boat, and want to be fixed to one spot (that is, not drift).  Otherwise....use your damned anchor.

• Like 1

PP has changed some of their ad copy to reflect that it's not an anchoring system. I own two and had one on a former boat. I would never leave the boat based just on the PP being deployed.

I have had an anchor slip on me as well though so even that is no guarantee. Slowed the boat down enough to catch it though.

Palomar and FG are my go-to knots.  I've always heard the saying though, "better to tie a decent knot great than to tie a great knot decently."  Practice in the garage until it becomes second nature so you can do it on a rocking boat or in bad light.

Same for inshore, except double Palomar with braid. Regular Palomar will pull through.
Lurch also test your knots by pulling on them right up to near breaking strength until you get dialed in.

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I have a PowerPole and an anchor on my boat.  If it is not too windy (or in a protected cove) or I'm not in strong current (San Luis Pass), I use my PowerPole.  But I know people who don't even carry an anchor on their boat.

PowerPole has changed its ads and reduced the range on the remotes.  Mine doesn't even have enough range to effective use it to drift the boat while I'm wading.  Seriously debating whether I'll get one on my next boat.  But they damn sure are nice to use around the dock and while picking people up when a wade is over. 

Fished under the bridge on 331 leading to 30A in Rosemary a couple of weeks back.  Torn them up one day. Caught several slot reds, a 50lb black drum, a really nice blue fish that a rather large fucking bull shark devoured as we were about to net the thing, and some jacks.  That was all on one day. Went out two days later to big ass fish fail.  There was a storm rolling in and it was just brutal fishing. 

Buddy who I went to Surfside with a few weeks back took his son again this morning. Fishing off the jetty caught 8 keeper specs and 3 spanish macs, went to filet them and all had worms.

Thats not normal is it?

Very normal, but not a problem at all. Just cook them, or pick them out of the filet. Pretty sure all keeper specks and reds come with worms, even if you can't see them.

I was obsessed about this for a while and the intertrons reassured me that these parasites are harmless to humans.

I know this is pretty much rhetorical but why can't any commercial/tv show/movie get a fishing scene correct? the spinning reel upside down is a constant but the latest I saw was the spinning reel on a heavy duty baitcaster rod. Also one of the worst offenders is Academy. This probably should have gone in the trivial things that annoy the shit out of you thread.

We went Saturday and kept 7 trout to 21 inches. Threw back about that many that were 14 7/8 inches. Caught them all on one well pad in Trinity Bay. We saw one big flock of birds working, but only small trout and slimers were underneath them. I think Trinity is going to be on fire this fall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know this is pretty much rhetorical but why can't any commercial/tv show/movie get a fishing scene correct? the spinning reel upside down is a constant but the latest I saw was the spinning reel on a heavy duty baitcaster rod. Also one of the worst offenders is Academy. This probably should have gone in the trivial things that annoy the shit out of you thread.

That shit is cringe worthy. Magazine ads too.

Fished POC. Trout limits to 28 Sun/ Mon am in West Maddy. Bite lasted until 10 and was red hot sunday, and a slow grind Monday. Couldn’t find a keeper Red anywhere. Floating grass was unbearable in some of lakes and windward shorelines.
Fuck fishing Saturday, got run over by at least 60 airboats wading the shoreline near Pringle. Miserable.
Monday was awesome.
  • Like 1

Hit East Matty today. Didn't get to fish last weekend and won't this weekend because I'm going to the Maryland game. Needed my fix. I didn't have high expectations because it's the backside of the full moon.  Wrong. The moon set minor was awesome. I probably released 20-25 fish in an hour and a half. Kept two reds and a trout from that wade. Once the minor was over so was the bite. 

34 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

That shit is cringe worthy. Magazine ads too.

Fished POC. Trout limits to 28 Sun/ Mon am in West Maddy. Bite lasted until 10 and was red hot sunday, and a slow grind Monday. Couldn’t find a keeper Red anywhere. Floating grass was unbearable in some of lakes and windward shorelines.
Fuck fishing Saturday, got run over by at least 60 airboats wading the shoreline near Pringle. Miserable.
Monday was awesome.

Nice. There was a big airboat gathering in POC last weekend. I fucking hate airboats. FUCKING HATE THEM. Never came across one that wasn't an asshole. Some buddies of mine were burned by one last weekend while they were fly fishing in a lake on St. Joe's island. Guide ran within 20 feet of them. 

Nice. There was a big airboat gathering in POC last weekend. I fucking hate airboats. FUCKING HATE THEM. Never came across one that wasn't an asshole. Some buddies of mine were burned by one last weekend while they were fly fishing in a lake on St. Joe's island. Guide ran within 20 feet of them. 

Agreed excepting a few guides that only use them for ducks. I actually tied on a skitterwalk and narrowly missed a few of them - they were in range too. It’s hard to hit the driver and not also hit the passengers

8 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/texan-bags-alligator-gar-that-could-be-new-world-record/

Cross-post with Kayak thread.  Back-to-back monster gars for the fellas at Amistad Expeditions out of Del Rio.  Good bunch of guys.  I'm sure they were stoked.

I know, I've said it before, and maybe folks don't agree....but it makes me sad when folks kill a big, OLD fish like that.  I catch and keep plenty of fish for eating, but I also do a whole lot of catch and release, and I think alligator gar are some of the coolest fish that we have in the state. They're prehistoric beasts.  And killing an old one like that just seems pointless.

I mean, I'm sure it was a cool and exhilarating experience, but I just wish they could weigh and measure the fish, and slip her back into the lake.

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean, I'm sure it was a cool and exhilarating experience, but I just wish they could weigh and measure the fish, and slip her back into the lake.

But then they wouldn't be able to take a picture standing next to it hanging from a rope and post it on the intergoogles so everyone can see how cool they are.