plane ticket/passport issue

PilotsError

I have an international flight tomorrow, and I tried checking in using the Delta app but it rejected the check in saying the name on passport doesn't match the traveler name.  I looked and my middle initial is on my passport but on my ticket it's my middle name, and the last two letters are left off.  My boss is convinced I'm fucked and they're not going to let me on the plane since they don't match.  I think it's absurd that it couldn't be cleared up at the counter, but a quick Google search has left me panicked that they will reject my current ticket and make me by a new one (which I can't do) and won't let me check in.  Am I actually fucked here or is this something than can be fixed at the counter?

naming conventions (esp around middle name) usually all fuckety on the airline sytsems.  its an IT thing.  just make whatevre name you use to check-in match what they think is in their sytsem.

it dont make a shit anywhere else.  security and immigrations is not checking that.  or they would make the distinction

what you probalby found, is when people profoundly fucked up their names.  in that case, a name switch on a ticket is not possible because essentially you are circumventing resale rules.  whereas this case is simply a programming thing

yeah.  you're fine man.  the app just won't let you check in.  go to the airport tomorrow and check in.  shouldn't have an issue.  if you are that concerned just show up early. if something is amiss then go talk to the agent at the counter.  If you have status with Delta you'll have an even better chance of not running into any problem. 

• Like 1

Here's exactly how it's gonna go tomorrow. 
1.You're gonna walk up to the kiosk about to shit in your nikes

2.  You punch in your Delta flyer number

3.  It asks to scan your passport.  You're gonna put it in upside down and it's going to read error.  You're about to really shit your nikes now.

4.  Finally get your wits about you and put your passport the right way.

5.  It's going to ask you how many bags you're checking.

6.  It prints out your bag tags, your tickets.  You tag your bags.

7.  Now the bag people ask for ID and ticket. Now you're really about to shit your pants.

8.  They smile tell you to have a good day.  

9.  You calm down. Find the nearest lounge and drink a good scotch and have a relaxing flight.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

You’ll be fine. I’ve had my first and middle name appear as one before. It’s and IT thing and has no bearing in you being able to fly. 

Everytime my company books my flights, my first name and middle name show up as one. It has never been an issue. I mean, sometimes I get the "extra" screening, but it's mostly fine. My asshole is usually back to normal by the time I board.

11 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:
1 hour ago, PilotsError said:
Heading to the airport now.  

Try not to yell "Praise Allah!" when you get through security.

And don't try to ram the van through the front doors. You have to park like everybody else.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 2:03 PM, Landomatic said:

Welp...jokes on you.  There is no way in hell youre getting back into the States.  We’ve all been fucking with you.  Enjoy living abroad.

I know expats living abroad (where else would expats be living?) who don't even fly through the States anymore when they go from one continent to another.

No Miami/NYC/Houston/Dallas/Atlanta/DC layovers. 

Living abroad is really nice. If I had a EU passport, I'd be living there now. PilotsError should be "feeling blessed" if he's not let back in the asylum.

55 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I know expats living abroad (where else would expats be living?) who don't even fly through the States anymore when they go from one continent to another.

No Miami/NYC/Houston/Dallas/Atlanta/DC layovers. 

Living abroad is really nice. If I had a EU passport, I'd be living there now. PilotsError should be "feeling blessed" if he's not let back in the asylum.

layovers are fine as you wouldnt need to go through immigrations

17 hours ago, 52-80 said:

layovers are fine as you wouldnt need to go through immigrations

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I understand, but they have chosen to avoid the madness all-together.

Actually, they would still have to go through immigration if landing in the States.  Unlike many other countries, all passengers landing in the US have to clear immigration, even those who are only connecting en route to another country.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bevo in VA said:

Actually, they would still have to go through immigration if landing in the States.  Unlike many other countries, all passengers landing in the US have to clear immigration, even those who are only connecting en route to another country.

Damn.  That's pretty stupid.  I guess the other reason not to do that shit, is because routing through US means almost certainly flying US carriers and who would want to do that..

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

Why the hell would anyone flying from another continent want to fly through the US?  Unless you're geographically stupid it would make no sense. 

hella miles. 

but also realistically, if you fly to South America, for example Paris to Bogota.  Total travel time 13-18 Hrs whether transiting in Europe or USA

I was directing my comment at the poster about his ex-pat friends deciding to skip the US when flying because of political turmoil here or whatever.  I was just asking why the fuck would they be using the US as a transit spot for any reason in the first place.  It doesn't make any damn sense.  Yeah, I've flown some long ass flights before.  I've gone from Seattle-Guam by way of Narita.  Seattle-Guam direct.  Houston-Bangkok.  Houston-Doha.  The second time I flew to Doha I made sure to not book the direct flight.  17 hours in a plane is just really uncomfortable.  I got a flight that got me a 3 hour layover in Frankfurt Germany where I could go hang out in the lounges and eat some not airplane food and drink self service liquor. 

OP so how close was I on what happened at the airport
Pretty close. They had to verify my name, took about ten seconds. This is my first international trip where I booked none of the flights, arrangements.

Didn't really matter though. Was only here one night before rockets from Gaza chased us up north to Jerusalem. Trip has not gone as planned