Annual SEC Bye Week

Neonmoon

Remember, this schedule is done on purpose. It is built in advantage for the SEC. Losing late hurts more than losing early in the year. And half the conference would get another loss if this game wasn’t a bunch of cupcakes. So after this weekend, when other conferences lose a game, it will be a net gain in the rankings of the SEC

Arkansas @ Mississippi State

Citadel @ Alabama 

Idaho @ Florida 

Middle Tennessee @ Kentucky 

Missouri @ Tennessee 

Liberty @ Auburn 

UMass @ Georgia 

UAB @ Aggy 

Chattanooga @ South Carolina 

Ole Miss @ Vanderbilt 

Rice @ LSU

Edited by Neonmoon

Yes they are smart for scheduling this way and giving their conference an advantage, but it shouldn’t be celebrated the way it is. It should be shamed. The media should do it, but ESPN is SEC biggest stock holder. 

ADs, coaches, etc, should be publically shaming them. If they are such a better conference, why do they need to manipulate the polls?

16 minutes ago, maninblack said:

If I was on the committee I'd count games against DII schools as a loss and I'd also make no secret that I was going to punish conferences that only play 8 conference games.

That's all well and good here but nobody in that room thinks this way. They all think it's smash mouth SEC mouth breathing. Fuck them.

31 minutes ago, maninblack said:

If I was on the committee I'd count games against DII schools as a loss and I'd also make no secret that I was going to punish conferences that only play 8 conference games.

the issue is not how many conf games so much as it is the number of P5 games on your schedule.  you should get no credit for D2 and therefore don't have the "13th data point" that is so important apparently.

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Yes they are smart for scheduling this way and giving their conference an advantage, but it shouldn’t be celebrated the way it is. It should be shamed. The media should do it, but ESPN is SEC biggest stock holder. 

ADs, coaches, etc, should be publically shaming them. If they are such a better conference, why do they need to manipulate the polls?

Good thing SEC plays 9 conference games to earn that bye week, right?

It is odd how toothless the P5 is when it comes to their own. The Pac, Big 12, and Big 10 schools outnumber the SEC and ACC schools and yet they do nothing about scheduling that clearly limits their playoff possibilities. They could easily get the G5 to back them by all agreeing to ban FCS teams, games that would mostly go to the G5. If those three conferences wanted to level the playing field they could, just by doing that, but they could also insist on 9 conference games. Hell, I would think even ESPN would rather profit off the ability to have better content if no one in the SEC or ACC played FCS teams. The value of their ACC and SEC games (even the shitty ones that appear on the conference nets) would improve both without FCS teams and especially with both conferences playing 9 games. There must be other things going on the background that keep these sorts of practical reforms from happening.

Edited by rickyspub

An aggy explained it all to me, and says we have it all wrong.  The $EC doesn't schedule cupcake wins to pad their records.  Oh, no, their motives are purely altruistic.  They schedule these games to share the $EC's tremendous good fortune and pay these schools a lot of money for the games.  Otherwise, these smaller schools wouldn't make any money at all.  It's all about sharing, not wins or losses.

I wanted to ask him, "Oh, like aggy shares Bama's successes?", but we were in a business  setting, and it would not have been appropriate for me to do so.

Edited by Scheiss Meister

1 minute ago, maninblack said:

Nope it's conference games as well. Nine conference games guarantees an extra loss. That extra loss not being on their schedule is a huge reason they carry the perception of being an NFL conference.

I agree it guarantees an extra loss for 7 of the teams. but if they played at least 10 P5 games and no D2 games there would likely be extra losses as well.  maybe not 7 but who knows.  that's why I said so much

1 hour ago, rickyspub said:

It is odd how toothless the P5 is when it comes to their own. The Pac, Big 12, and Big 10 schools outnumber the SEC and ACC schools and yet they do nothing about scheduling that clearly limits their playoff possibilities. They could easily get the G5 to back them by all agreeing to ban FCS teams, games that would mostly go to the G5. If those three conferences wanted to level the playing field they could, just by doing that, but they could also insist on 9 conference games. Hell, I would think even ESPN would rather profit off the ability to have better content if no one in the SEC or ACC played FCS teams. The value of their ACC and SEC games (even the shitty ones that appear on the conference nets) would improve both without FCS teams and especially with both conferences playing 9 games. There must be other things going on the background that keep these sorts of practical reforms from happening.

thats why there are a few teams, who have to sacrifice for the greater SEC good, that have to play conf games during the late bye week.  They had their bye earlier.  ESPN can't have all teams playing bye. 

You know what else helps their records, is not playing non-conference away games:
(This is a list of non-home, non neutral site games for  select SEC teams for the last 10 years)

Alabama -  '11 @ Penn St,  (1 away non conference game in 10 years)
Georgia -''17 @ Notre Dame, '13 @Clemson, '11, @ Colorado,  '09 @OkieSt
Florida - '17 @ Michigan,'16 @FSU, '13 @Miami (FL)
Auburn - '17 @ Clemson, '14 @ K-State,

So looking at it, maybe it is just teams from Alabama that don't like non-conference away games.

Just to make an easy comparison
Texas - '18 @ Maryland, '17 @ USC,  '16 @ Cal, '15 @ Notre Dame, '13 @ BYU, '12 @ Ole Miss, '11 @ UCLA, '10 @ Rice, '09 @ Wyoming
Michigan St  (not that y'all really care - '18 @ Arizona St, '16  @ Notre Dame, '15 @ Western Mich (row the boat), '14 @ Oregon, '13 @ Notre Dame, '11 @ Notre Dame, '09 @ Notre Dame
Michy has 6 true away games and Ohio St has 4 (not counting '18 TCU at Jerry's World as a true away)

Disclosure: I know some of this as MSU had home/home series scheduled against both Alabama and Texas A&M but both cancelled the series wanting to replace the game in East Lansing with "neutral" site games that were in their favor. (And that Saban was a pussy for leaving MSU because he couldn't compete with and beat Michigan and OSU, and he wouldn't come back for even "a" game)
I'm not saying that B1G teams don't play some chickenshit schools, but not in the middle of November when it is a de-facto bye week.

Edited by Wally Fairway
adding my true feeling about Saban - who became a hell of a coach after turning tail and running from the "big boys"

35 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Meh. Wake me up when Notre Dame plays someone.

What you talking about, Willis? We have wins over Michigan (4), Va Tech, Stanford, Northwestern (24) and an upcoming game against 12th ranked Syracuse.  FSU, USC, and Pitt are usually better than they are this year, too. The only cupcake (non p5) schools on our schedule are Ball State (who's not bad this year) and Navy (which has been a tradition since WW2 because of the partnership b/t the military and ND during that time).

Oh, and re: aggy and UAB... if the UAB starting QB is active and healthy I would not be shocked in the slightest if they beat aggy.  But another loss to Bama, so advantage aggy. 

Edited by BlueGreySky
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Xcalibur said:

You're not wrong, but neither are Kentucky and aggy.

Right, but their glaring weaknesses won't be tested. If you play Kentucky and have a good run defense then their offense is fucked because they can't pass. If you play A&M and have a good passing offense then their defense is fucked because they can't defend the throwing game.

Neither MTSU nor UAB threaten those weaknesses.

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

You know what else helps their records, is not playing non-conference away games:
(This is a list of non-home, non neutral site games for  select SEC teams for the last 10 years)

Alabama -  '11 @ Penn St,  (1 away non conference game in 10 years)
Georgia -''17 @ Notre Dame, '13 @Clemson, '11, @ Colorado,  '09 @OkieSt
Florida - '17 @ Michigan,'16 @FSU, '13 @Miami (FL)
Auburn - '17 @ Clemson, '14 @ K-State,

So looking at it, maybe it is just teams from Alabama that don't like non-conference away games.

Just to make an easy comparison
Texas - '18 @ Maryland, '17 @ USC,  '16 @ Cal, '15 @ Notre Dame, '13 @ BYU, '12 @ Ole Miss, '11 @ UCLA, '10 @ Rice, '09 @ Wyoming
Michigan St  (not that y'all really care - '18 @ Arizona St, '16  @ Notre Dame, '15 @ Western Mich (row the boat), '14 @ Oregon, '13 @ Notre Dame, '11 @ Notre Dame, '09 @ Notre Dame
Michy has 6 true away games and Ohio St has 4 (not counting '18 TCU at Jerry's World as a true away)

Disclosure: I know some of this as MSU had home/home series scheduled against both Alabama and Texas A&M but both cancelled the series wanting to replace the game in East Lansing with "neutral" site games that were in their favor. (And that Saban was a pussy for leaving MSU because he couldn't compete with and beat Michigan and OSU, and he wouldn't come back for even "a" game)
I'm not saying that B1G teams don't play some chickenshit schools, but not in the middle of November when it is a de-facto bye week.

Florida did not play in ann arbor, I think that was JerryWorld so that is one less for them. 

38 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

What you talking about, Willis? We have wins over Michigan (4), Va Tech, Stanford, Northwestern (24) and an upcoming game against 12th ranked Syracuse.  FSU, USC, and Pitt are usually better than they are this year, too. The only cupcake (non p5) schools on our schedule are Ball State (who's not bad this year) and Navy (which has been a tradition since WW2 because of the partnership b/t the military and ND during that time).

Oh, and re: aggy and UAB... if the UAB starting QB is active and healthy I would not be shocked in the slightest if they beat aggy.  But another loss to Bama, so advantage aggy. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Alabama SOS: 4

ND SOS: 33