Austin City Government - Circus of the Insane

skittlebrau

Pos rep.  I just drove by that on the way to lunch and wanted to grab a photo of them putting it up.  Just happened.  

adler is a corrupt piece of human shit and deserves to share a cell with some truly angry fucker 

I know some of y’all know him from back in the day.  But he’s worse than you could possibly know. 

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

You need to switch the names because I can hear Arnold saying, "Virden!  You son of a bitch..." clear as fucking day in that accent.  

Am amused at the reaction by the community over this latest example of Adler’s hypocrisy. I guess they forgot the TV interview where he encouraged Austinites to continue to go out to eat & drink at all the bars & restaurants even after he canceled the SXSW. 
And the unnoticed tell in that restaurant interview - the first scene showed his drink with a straw in it, the second view the straw had disappeared. A little thing, but it illustrated his elitist dishonesty. The Cabo fiasco is just icing on his Covid cake.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Am amused at the reaction by the community over this latest example of Adler’s hypocrisy. I guess they forgot the TV interview where he encouraged Austinites to continue to go out to eat & drink at all the bars & restaurants even after he canceled the SXSW. 
And the unnoticed tell in that restaurant interview - the first scene showed his drink with a straw in it, the second view the straw had disappeared. A little thing, but it illustrated his elitist dishonesty. The Cabo fiasco is just icing on his Covid cake.

yep.  he's always been a elitist douchebag and an on top of that he's just plain dumb.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Pause for a moment of silence upon removal of the South Lamar Moments.    $40K - $50K investment 15+ years back.

4a0c2dbe-bc43-4d59-bc4e-c95d8490c3d4-JWJ

That was a good gig for the (con)artist, as was the $5,000 grackle “sculpture” made out of old tires that was burned up in front of City Hall.

C2263320-B447-43F7-B1DA-C6E68E5519F8.jpeg

106A297A-6611-4921-8553-FC73B0E20936.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat

Enjoy your road diet, fuckers.   

Like many Austinites, following New Year's Day, Lamar Boulevard is set to go on a diet.

But unlike many Austinites, the road will follow through on its slimming effort. Its so-called "road diet" will manifest itself in the first phase of safety improvements that will in some stretches permanently remove lanes from South Lamar Boulevard.

The jargon for what is planned for Lamar Boulevard — an effort to place greater emphasis on alternative modes of transportation through more robust sidewalks and bike lanes — is often referred as a "road diet."

With a $6.9 million contract recently approved by the Austin City Council, the first phase of South Lamar Boulevard's diet is expected to begin in January or February. The renovation will focus on the stretch of road between Riverside Drive and Barton Springs Road, just south of Lady Bird Lake.

There, the city will build more robust sidewalks and bike lanes. The bike lanes in particular will be separated from the road by a raised curb. The city will also make improvements to medians and cut off some access to parking lot driveways that are deemed unsafe.

That stretch of Lamar Boulevard sees about 46,800 vehicles a day, according to 2019 traffic counts from Texas Department of Transportation. That makes it among the busiest non-highway roadways in the city, with daily traffic nearing one quarter the number of vehicles that travel on Interstate 35 at downtown.

Mike Trimble, the city of Austin's Corridor Program Office director, said Lamar Boulevard will be able to handle a decrease in lanes and that the road's facelift should improve traffic with intersection improvements at Riverside Drive, Toomey Road and Barton Springs Road.

"We don’t think this is going to cause any substantial reduction in capacity or ability to efficiently move through that roadway," Trimble said.

Austin City Council Member Ann Kitchen, whose district encompasses much of South Lamar Boulevard, said she is not worried about the road not being able to accommodate traffic and that she expects the roadway's facelift to improve traffic flow.

"It is prettier," Kitchen said. "I'm excited about it."

3 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

That stretch of Lamar Boulevard sees about 46,800 vehicles a day, according to 2019 traffic counts from Texas Department of Transportation. That makes it among the busiest non-highway roadways in the city, with daily traffic nearing one quarter the number of vehicles that travel on Interstate 35 at downtown.

Mike Trimble, the city of Austin's Corridor Program Office director, said Lamar Boulevard will be able to handle a decrease in lanes and that the road's facelift should improve traffic with intersection improvements at Riverside Drive, Toomey Road and Barton Springs Road.

"We don’t think this is going to cause any substantial reduction in capacity or ability to efficiently move through that roadway," Trimble said.

3 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Austin City Council Member Ann Kitchen, whose district encompasses much of South Lamar Boulevard, said she is not worried about the road not being able to accommodate traffic and that she expects the roadway's facelift to improve traffic flow.

spacer.png

16 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Remind me how many lanes go each way north of Riverside, and then explain the utility of the 3rd lane.

People in Austin just reflexively defend existing lanes (along with existing everything else), as if they enable smooth traffic flow, or sustainably reduce traffic. But the unfortunate and somewhat counterintuitive is that sometimes they don’t do either, and sometimes they actually make things worse.

If you really want traffic in Austin to get better you should be agitating for more traffic circles and the removal of road humps.  Our problem isn’t just a capacity issue. It’s a combination of capacity and an extremely fragile grid that is intentionally choked up at key points. Improving car flow is really only possible by creating relief routes and smoothing out discontinuities (like what exists in multiple forms between Barton Springs and 12th on Lamar).

Again- Austin’s worship of the past is the problem. Relief routes entail using streets for their intended purpose, but are decried at “cut through traffic” and turn neighborhood streets into what amount to private drives. Smoothing out busted sections means road diets where roads expand for no reason and then contract again. Traffic circles are vehemently opposed presumably because they work well but weren’t around during the heyday of the Armadillo or Liberty Lunch. 

Not to worry though- Mackenzie Kelly’s going to bring common sense to the council.

• Hook 'Em 4

Like many Austinites, following New Year's Day, Lamar Boulevard is set to go on a diet.
But unlike many Austinites, the road will follow through on its slimming effort. Its so-called "road diet" will manifest itself in the first phase of safety improvements that will in some stretches permanently remove lanes from South Lamar Boulevard.
The jargon for what is planned for Lamar Boulevard — an effort to place greater emphasis on alternative modes of transportation through more robust sidewalks and bike lanes — is often referred as a "road diet."
With a $6.9 million contract recently approved by the Austin City Council, the first phase of South Lamar Boulevard's diet is expected to begin in January or February. The renovation will focus on the stretch of road between Riverside Drive and Barton Springs Road, just south of Lady Bird Lake.
There, the city will build more robust sidewalks and bike lanes. The bike lanes in particular will be separated from the road by a raised curb. The city will also make improvements to medians and cut off some access to parking lot driveways that are deemed unsafe.

The city is selling this badly by focusing on the bike lanes but going from 2 lanes to 3 for a few hundred yards and then back down to 2 just creates a pointless choke point. Keeping it 2 lanes will improve traffic.
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

The city is selling this badly by focusing on the bike lanes but going from 2 lanes to 3 for a few hundred yards and then back down to 2 just creates a pointless choke point. Keeping it 2 lanes will improve traffic.

I’m just glad the homeless drug users will be able to get around easier. The COA is all about inconveniencing the many for the benefit of the few. 

8 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

What many are inconvenienced by reducing congestion on South Lamar?

The thousands of drivers that will have even worse traffic due to the lane reduction/switching. Maybe it’ll work I just have zero faith in the CC. “It’s pretty” isn’t a traffic strategy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The thousands of drivers that will have even worse traffic due to the lane reduction/switching. Maybe it’ll work I just have zero faith in the CC. “It’s pretty” isn’t a traffic strategy. 

Traffic is created by chokepoints. This eliminates one. I’m sorry you apparently enjoy sitting in traffic and this will thus be a difficult change for you, but I‘d prefer to keep moving.

I'll bring some financial data to this discussion later on, but for right now...and maybe it's anecdotal...I'd love for one of you bike-lane advocates to demonstrate with hard numbers how many working class people bike to work in the CBD because of all those hospitality/restaurant jobs that have showers at them, how many people of color bike from the urban donut to their jobs, how many single moms trailer their kids to school/daycare behind their Specialized bikes before heading off to work themselves.  

Bike lanes are the most racist fucking thing about Austin.  You fucking child.  It's for upper middle class people with money and time to train.  Seriously, I've enjoyed some of our discussions and we're all mostly on the same page with how to help the city grow responsibly.  But you have got to shut the fuck up about bike lanes whether it's Lamar or anywhere else.  You don't fucking get it.  You're over-privileged white people with zero fucking clue.  These people need help and you think 90 cyclists each day is gonna cure that.  Fuck you.  I'm on your side on so much shit, but on this---you're not only dead fucking wrong...you're tacitly racist and you're just being shitty.  

Ann Kitchen is a fucking cunt.  Tell her I said so, call me sexist.  Fuck you guys, you don't give fuck one about people of color and you fucking know it.  thanks for making another city-wide mess I gotta clean up for two years.  Fuck off. 

18 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Bike lanes are the most racist fucking thing about Austin. 

The most racist thing about Austin is the current land development code, which directs unmet affluent housing demand into East Austin. It’s a blueprint for gentrification and displacement, and it’s working as designed. 
And then you have the hilariously racist McMansion ordinance, which explicitly protects central Austin from the consequences of growth and shifts them outwards. 
And then, you know, we have the have nervous whites who call the cops to report brown people in the act of walking, driving, listening to music, eating, and wearing clothes. 
But sure, bike lanes. If we stop the bike lanes, no more racism in Austin. 

2 hours ago, DanRydell said:

The city is selling this badly by focusing on the bike lanes but going from 2 lanes to 3 for a few hundred yards and then back down to 2 just creates a pointless choke point.

Bingo

55 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

“We got to stop the council before they do anything, otherwise we may create  these problems we already have!”

-Very Smart Austin Voters 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

And lest I wasn’t clear, fellas, I’m not defending council. They suffer from weak stomachs and toxic positivity. 
But Austin voters are the problem. We are afflicted with a terminal combination of pound foolishness and toxic nostalgia. And if you don’t trust council to pull a lane that doesn’t work out of a short stretch of road you probably shouldn’t count on them to build you a  time machine. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3