UCF

FondrenRoad

3 minutes ago, Monster said:

Except this isn't about lowly UCF and their 'shitty schedule'.   it's about the 85+ universities with division I football programs, that UCF represents.  And it's about a 'playoff' system that grants huge money prizes and national advertising opportunities to its participants. 

I guess we will see if it makes fiscal sense to exclude 85-90 universities from those cash rewards and advertising opportunities.    I would guess, having lived in 'murica for some time, that there might be one or two powerful alumni/administrators, within the landscape of 85-90 colleges and universities, who might not like being locked outside gates in perpetuity.   

It isn’t really about “granting”  anything. Who pulls the numbers?  That’s what it’s about. Ratings, butts in seats. Does a school deserve full and equal payouts if they can only muster 15,000 for home games vs a school that pulls 50, 60 or 100,000 every week?

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

8 hours ago, Monster said:

If UCF has Clemson's schedule, who is going to give them a loss?  Who in the ACC (Power 5!) conference gives UCF a loss this year?     

Reminder: UCF already beat Pittsburgh by 31 points this year.   Pittsburgh is 6-1 in the ACC.  

They also had UNC on their schedule, postponed by hurricane. All of this "just schedule some P5 teams" is ridiculous. Last year they had Georgia Tech on their schedule as well, but that was also killed by a hurricane.

I know, I know, "Just stop having hurricanes UCF. C'mon."

9 hours ago, Monster said:

UCF beat Pittsburgh by 31 points.  Pittsburgh is going to play in the ACC championship game.  That's as direct a comparison as you can get.  

The idea that UCF could never survive a P5 schedule filled with teams like NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, Syracuse...well, let's look it.   Your toughest games (this year) are against Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Boston College....you beat Pittsburgh by 31 points.   Are Boston College and Syracuse THAT much better than Cincinnati and South Florida?   Where does the 'grind' part of an ACC schedule kick in?  Duke?   Wake Forest?  Georgia Tech?  (They are trying to schedule as many ACC teams as they can, to prove this exact point...but the NC game got PPD)  

Would UCF go undefeated in the big 10/big 12/SEC?   No chance.   

Could this year's UCF go undefeated in the ACC (If they swapped in for Clemson)?   It could happen.  

Yes, it could happen.  Sure.  I could also end up banging my hot neighbor tonight.  Let's talk about how likely that is...

You continue to focus on individual matchups  Let me illustrate my point.  The ACC isn't great this year, but it is still significantly better than the AAC.  But, for argument's sake let's say they are relatively close.  Let's look at two hypothetical schedules and the odds of winning all the games.

Schedule AAC:  UCF has a combined 95% chance of winning 9 of their games, and the other 3 are a bit tougher, at 90% each.  The chances of going undefeated for the season = .95 x .90 x .90 x .90 = .6925 or a 69% chance of going 12-0

Schedule ACC: UCF still has a combined 95% of winning 9 of their games (stipulating that most of the two conferences are equal), but the final three games all have an 80% chance of victory.  Still strong odds and not that much stronger of a conference.  The odd of going undefeated are now:  .95 x .80 x .80 x .80 = .4864 or 49%.  That's a drop of 20 points from a pretty small change in the strength of schedule, and one that, I believe, is still tilted in UCF's favor.

<Obligatory Chevy Chase no math response>

1 hour ago, SurlyORama said:

They also had UNC on their schedule, postponed by hurricane. All of this "just schedule some P5 teams" is ridiculous. Last year they had Georgia Tech on their schedule as well, but that was also killed by a hurricane.

I know, I know, "Just stop having hurricanes UCF. C'mon."

Exactly, how are they supposed to schedule those solid P5 programs when those same programs avoid playing teams like UCF?    Its completely set up against the G5.   

• Fuck You 4

9 hours ago, Chad Sexington said:

It isn’t really about “granting”  anything. Who pulls the numbers?  That’s what it’s about. Ratings, butts in seats. Does a school deserve full and equal payouts if they can only muster 15,000 for home games vs a school that pulls 50, 60 or 100,000 every week?

and overachieving teams like UCF and Boise State are pulling in greater numbers and bringing more to the table (ie carrying more than their own weight) than P5 leaches like Utah (and Vandy an Wake Forest) who hardly anyone watches or cares about outside of the Salt Lake Valley.  

Edited by Fart
  • Fuck You 5

First, the G5 has no 'right' to be in FBS. They made the decision to be in this division. If they want to compete for titles, then they need to drop down to FCS. They are part of the decision-making process and if they don't like being in the minority they are well within their rights to drop down to FCS.

So then, why is FBS continuing to grow, even though the teams moving up have no chance at a national title? Money. The G5 make more money than their FCS counterparts. They also get a cut of the playoffs that they have no legit claim on being a part of. Yes, the G5 get a cut of the playoff money. I think it is well over $75M each season. Each P5 conference gets over $50M. This is guaranteed money for each group, whether they get a team in to the playoffs or not. The G5 get more than 1/6 of the playoff revenue, even though I am sure their actual media values are much less than that.

I would imagine the main reason the P5 just doesn't split off is because the G5 schools would sue to keep access to the money that they play so little a part of actually earning. It is also why the G5 schools will probably never sue to get playoff access. 

If Notre Dame or Michigan loses and UCF goes undefeated, put them in the playoff and for the world to see that way there is no more arguing about whether or not they can compete, we will get to see it with our own eyes for 60 minutes against Alabama.

They have won 23 games in a row, if they finish this season 12-0, conference champions for the 2nd year in a row, and on a 25 game winning streak. They deserve a shot if one of the top 4 (not named Alabama) stumbles.

1 hour ago, Fart said:

and overachieving teams like UCF and Boise State are pulling in greater numbers and bringing more to the table (ie carrying more than their own weight) than P5 leaches like Utah (and Vandy an Wake Forest) who hardly anyone watches or cares about outside of the Salt Lake Valley.  

You don’t know shit. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

14 hours ago, Fart said:

Except, that BYU team beat the #3 on the road, lost only 1 game previously and then went on to throttle Washington 31-3 the following year.    They even offered to play Oklahoma in the bowl game and they declined to take more $$$ in the Orange Bowl instead.    

You mean the #3 Pitt team that finished that season 3-7-1?  Lol, nice omission.

• Like 1

Expand the playoff to 8.

Give non-binding preference to P5 champs and all unbeatens assuming they at least tried to schedule more than one P5.  Most years it would act like an autobid but you won’t have 4 loss “champions” like this year’s northwestern team, 2005 FSU, etc squeezing deserving teams out.

Then we’d be debating whether the Michigan-tOSU loser, the OU/WV loser, or the SEC runner up gets in as #8 instead of debating which ones to screw over out of 1 loss champs from the B1G/B12/PAC or unbeaten UCF.

This setup solves basically every year except 2007 & 2008 out of the last 30.

Edited by S11

14 hours ago, Chad Sexington said:

Yup.

This is also why the system was changed to a 13 person committee with no true guidelines. All the computer rankings and coach/AP poll votes give hundreds if not thousands of data points to try to get it right.

The 13 person committee give 13 data points to get it. My guess is the bigger powers with the purse strings let the 13 person committee know what they expect to see.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, S11 said:

Expand the playoff to 8.

Give non-binding preference to P5 champs and all unbeatens assuming they at least tried to schedule more than one P5.  Most years it would act like an autobid but you won’t have 4 loss “champions” like this year’s northwestern team, 2005 FSU, etc squeezing deserving teams out.

Then we’d be debating whether the Michigan-tOSU loser, the OU/WV loser, or the SEC runner up gets in as #8 instead of debating which ones to screw over out of 1 loss champs from the B1G/B12/PAC or unbeaten UCF.

This setup solves basically every year except 2007 & 2008 out of the last 30.

Just take the top 8 teams.   Right off the bat, that would double the intrigue of late season games that we are currently enjoying.  

• Fuck You 7

4 minutes ago, Fart said:

Just take the top 8 teams.   Right off the bat, that would double the intrigue of late season games that we are currently enjoying.  

Only issue with that is an unbeaten G5 getting hosed in the rankings.   I’d rather see UCF get a shot than see another team that lost multiple times and didn’t even win their division or league.

for instance last year UCF is left out in favor of 3 loss Auburn and 2 loss USC and SC got slaughtered by Nd.

Edited by S11

1 minute ago, S11 said:

Only issue with that is an unbeaten G5 getting hosed in the rankings.   I’d rather see UCF get a shot than see another team that lost multiple times and didn’t even win their division or league.

Part of the bigger question.  

The G5 should really only be the G3.  

All P5 and G3 conferences should be included, or the P5 should just split off already  

All teams must play the same number of conference games, whether it be 8, 9 or 10 is unimportant  

All conferences should have a CCG, or first round of the playoff  

The resulting round of conference champions should be seeded.

Settle it on the field. It’s incredible that this has yet to happen. The current system is as much farce as the BCS was. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

36 minutes ago, Fart said:

Should we start poking fun at your aggy-like claim to the 1945 title?  

That's what I thought. 

I'm on record against that claim, but thanks for playing.  We nevertheless actually beat teams that ended the season ranked that year.

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'm on record against that claim, but thanks for playing.  We nevertheless actually beat teams that ended the season ranked that year.

And yet, we were still voted national champs unanimously.   

Edited by Fart
  • Fuck You 8

5 minutes ago, Whitman said:

My ex-wife was born in Provo, therefore I am bound by my divorce decree (and the covenants I made in the Salt Lake Temple) to neg every post of yours I see.  

Right after you get done fucking your cousin?  Oh, you already are, she must have really turned you on, then.  

• Fuck You 10

2 minutes ago, Fart said:

Right after you get done fucking your cousin?  Oh, you already are, she must have really turned you on, then.  

Woooo, dirty mouth from the BYU boy.  I wouldn't sign your recommend.  Thanks for another post to neg without having to search.  

UCF has already beaten Bama, in Tuscaloosa, no less, 40-38 in 2000.  I loved it when they humiliated Auburn last year in the Whatever Bowl.  Each of the P5 should have a wheel of fortune spin to pick a team to go home & home with UCF over the next couple of years, and drop a few paycheck games.  Memo to UCF sports marketing wonks: get a better logo. The current one reminds me of a muffler shop.

Edited by Bama Llama

3 minutes ago, Bama Llama said:

UCF has already beaten Bama, in Tuscaloosa, no less, 40-38 in 2000.  I loved it when they humiliated Auburn last year in the Whatever Bowl.  Each of the P5 should have a wheel of fortune spin to pick a team to go home & home with UCF over the next couple of years, and drop a few paycheck games.  Memo to UCF sports marketing wonks: get a better logo. The current one reminds me of a muffler shop.

Yes, and I went to high school with your fullback Dustin McClintock, who at the end of the game, kicked the ass of a UCF freshman who kept cheap shotting him on special teams.  On the last play of the game, as they were returning the kick, he threw him to the ground, ripped off his helmet and delivered a couple punches to his face.  

• Fuck You 3

6 hours ago, Chad Sexington said:

Part of the bigger question.  

The G5 should really only be the G3.  

All P5 and G3 conferences should be included, or the P5 should just split off already  

All teams must play the same number of conference games, whether it be 8, 9 or 10 is unimportant  

All conferences should have a CCG, or first round of the playoff  

The resulting round of conference champions should be seeded.

Settle it on the field. It’s incredible that this has yet to happen. The current system is as much farce as the BCS was. 

G3= AAC, MWC and who?

Some naive people in here. The current state of college football is nothing but a construct of the bowl committee’s agenda/appurtenances to drain every fucking dollar out of the sport. They do not care about a championship, who gets left out or any other element of the sport. They care about money, and how to keep as much of it as possible without having to spend a dime of their own money for the very product they sell. And keeping the bowls the most relevant component of the game.

Issues like expansion of the playoffs is out of the question because to do that would require that some quarter or semi final games would be played on the competing schools campuses. Something the bowl committee’s will absolutely never accept. Because they don’t get a cut of that. And then it wouldn’t be long before the schools realize they could actually start dictating terms to the very bowl committee’s that have yanked their chains (the universities involved) for over a century. Simply by creating their own committee and renting out the venues at a much lower cost. AND being able to negotiate their own TV arrangement leaving the bowls completely out of that negotiation.

With Hoolihan now gone, who by most accounts was most powerful man, from the most powerful committee. We may possibly see some type of shift if his replacement lacks the power to consolidate all of the bowls ideology to follow the current model.

Until then we get this mockery of a selection that serves the bowl committee’s agenda. Nothing more. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

Some naive people in here. The current state of college football is nothing but a construct of the bowl committee’s agenda/appurtenances to drain every fucking dollar out of the sport. They do not care about a championship, who gets left out or any other element of the sport. They care about money, and how to keep as much of it as possible without having to spend a dime of their own money for the very product they sell. And keeping the bowls the most relevant component of the game.

Issues like expansion of the playoffs is out of the question because to do that would require that some quarter or semi final games would be played on the competing schools campuses. Something the bowl committee’s will absolutely never accept. Because they don’t get a cut of that. And then it wouldn’t be long before the schools realize they could actually start dictating terms to the very bowl committee’s that have yanked their chains (the universities involved) for over a century. Simply by creating their own committee and renting out the venues at a much lower cost. AND being able to negotiate their own TV arrangement leaving the bowls completely out of that negotiation.

With Hoolihan now gone, who by most accounts was most powerful man, from the most powerful committee. We may possibly see some type of shift if his replacement lacks the power to consolidate all of the bowls ideology to follow the current model.

Until then we get this mockery of a selection that serves the bowl committee’s agenda. Nothing more. 

For some reason, I read this post in Slater's voice.

tumblr_luvmtbfVuP1qary9do1_500.gif