TRAVEL: Points, Miles, Discounts, Tips, Advice & Questions

Spankytoes

They might be depleting / devaluing / whatever, but so is everyone else.  Fuck 'em.  We stick with the devil-we-know. 
We were Starwood people as well.  We hated being absorbed into the Marriott Bonvoy bullshitedness.  We carried that Starwood card a long time before that Bonvoy "Brilliant" (or whatever the fuck they call it) card showed up.  We still primarily stay at Sheratons and Westins, but it truly is nice to have some of the Marriott options, depending on location.  
Our Brilliant Luxury Amex (or whatever the fuck they call it) has worked for us.  We use it only for travel, and we're currently sitting on 998,000 points.  We won't make Ambassador this year, due to our Spending, but...Titanium suits us just fine.  With or without the card, we are well on our way to Lifetime Platinum, whether we have a card or not.  We figure that will suit us well once we hit retirement.  

I generally prefer Hyatt but I have to say Marriott has been a massive sweet spot for OU weekend. I keep their lower tier Amex card just for the 35k point free night to use then. We’ve stayed at the downtown Dallas Marriott the past few years for less that 60k points for the weekend. Got the new JW Marriott for 70k points this year. Huge value for points given where cash rates are on downtown hotels that weekend.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/11/2023 at 9:17 PM, Zepol87 said:

Care to share what it ran you point wise? Is there a good site to mess around with potential stays vs the beating of the Marriott site and just checking different properties? I have 294k points right now and I don’t know what I want to do for the holidays but I wouldn’t mind a fun ass few days/week somewhere awesome 

I agree with you that the Marriott website is complete shit, but their app is very easy to use when considering options for travel.  It’s like night and day difference in functionality. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, Admirals Club and reciprocal airline lounge access for cardmember plus spouse and children under 18, or two guests. Same privileges, minus reciprocal airline lounges, apply for authorized users.

Used to be a killer deal compared to a standalone AC membership, but they just announced a major hike in the annual fee and will begin charging for authorized users ($450 -> $770 for myself + 3 others). AC membership is like $850 these days though, so it’s still a net win.

8 hours ago, SuperSport said:

Yes, Admirals Club and reciprocal airline lounge access for cardmember plus spouse and children under 18, or two guests. Same privileges, minus reciprocal airline lounges, apply for authorized users.

Used to be a killer deal compared to a standalone AC membership, but they just announced a major hike in the annual fee and will begin charging for authorized users ($450 -> $770 for myself + 3 others). AC membership is like $850 these days though, so it’s still a net win.

Woah...didn't know that.  Looks like my fee is going from $450 to $595.  I think the AC fee used to be $650 and now it's $825 (I'm Gold so there's a HUUUUGE discount from $850).

I may not renew the card now.  I have an AMEX Platinum so I can get in the AMEX lounges which seem to be nicer in the places that I've been.  It was hard to justify at $450...

3 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Woah...didn't know that.  Looks like my fee is going from $450 to $595.  I think the AC fee used to be $650 and now it's $825 (I'm Gold so there's a HUUUUGE discount from $850).

I may not renew the card now.  I have an AMEX Platinum so I can get in the AMEX lounges which seem to be nicer in the places that I've been.  It was hard to justify at $450...

Yeah, I'm Platinum by way of CC spend, so I too can get the club membership directly for a bargain...but then I wouldn't qualify for status in future years. Platinum handcuffs, imo.

The real hack with the card though, was you could add up to 10 authorized users for no charge; get a card for the wife and a few friends who travel often, splits up the annual fee nicely. But now, in addition to the "enhanced" $595 annual fee, they're charging $175 for the first three authorized users, and $175 for each additional user after that. Fuck.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for some flight advice and this seems like the catch-all thread for this stuff.

Flying home from Sardinia in a couple of weeks. Flight booked on Aeroitalia from Olbia (OLB) to Rome (FCO) with a 3h55m layover at FCO before catching my next flight on AA from FCO to DFW (nonstop). Aeroitalia now emails me to say their flight schedule changed and will be 2.5 hours later, so my layover in Rome is now only 1h25m.

In my mind, that is not enough time to comfortably make the connection. We are not checking bags and there is no customs, but I would be switching airlines and the second flight is international, so that makes me nervous. Also, there is always the possibility of the Aeroitalia flight getting delayed on the day of travel, which wouldn't be a huge concern with a 3h55m layover, but could easily screw me on a 1h25m layover.

I contacted Aeroitalia and they don't give a shit. I asked for a refund so I could book a different flight and they said no. My ticket was nonrefundable and apparently EU regulations allow flight schedule changes of up to 3 hours before they are required to offer a refund, so they are within that limit.

I'm thinking my best bet is to eat the cost of the Aeroitalia flights (was about $400) and book new flights on a different airline. It kind of irritates me on principle, but I don't think I'll win that argument unless they happen to issue another delay that puts them over the 3 hour limit. I'm also thinking that 1h25m window is too narrow for comfort, but I've been burned on delayed flights quite a bit lately, so I'm probably a tad paranoid at this point.

What say the surly travel pros?

The short of it is you’re right, you’ll need new tickets.

1hr25m between is too close for comfort. 

Best case scenario is first flight arrives early and the departing gate isn’t too far. Maybe you’re there in time for the start of boarding. 

Worst case is incoming is late, gate is far, and they’re closing doors as you get there out of breath.

If they were the same itinerary, you could move the next flight without penalty. But since they are separate then the min connection time wouldn’t apply, nor the schedule change.

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

Looking for some flight advice and this seems like the catch-all thread for this stuff.

Flying home from Sardinia in a couple of weeks. Flight booked on Aeroitalia from Olbia (OLB) to Rome (FCO) with a 3h55m layover at FCO before catching my next flight on AA from FCO to DFW (nonstop). Aeroitalia now emails me to say their flight schedule changed and will be 2.5 hours later, so my layover in Rome is now only 1h25m.

In my mind, that is not enough time to comfortably make the connection. We are not checking bags and there is no customs, but I would be switching airlines and the second flight is international, so that makes me nervous. Also, there is always the possibility of the Aeroitalia flight getting delayed on the day of travel, which wouldn't be a huge concern with a 3h55m layover, but could easily screw me on a 1h25m layover.

I contacted Aeroitalia and they don't give a shit. I asked for a refund so I could book a different flight and they said no. My ticket was nonrefundable and apparently EU regulations allow flight schedule changes of up to 3 hours before they are required to offer a refund, so they are within that limit.

I'm thinking my best bet is to eat the cost of the Aeroitalia flights (was about $400) and book new flights on a different airline. It kind of irritates me on principle, but I don't think I'll win that argument unless they happen to issue another delay that puts them over the 3 hour limit. I'm also thinking that 1h25m window is too narrow for comfort, but I've been burned on delayed flights quite a bit lately, so I'm probably a tad paranoid at this point.

I am fairly certain there is passport control leaving FCO. Since you are on domestic into FCO, you will definitely be changing terminals, and it is a walk over to INTL. That is not enough time. 

1 hour ago, Telegraph_it said:

I am fairly certain there is passport control leaving FCO. Since you are on domestic into FCO, you will definitely be changing terminals, and it is a walk over to INTL. That is not enough time. 

Yep.  I did this flying from Sicily to Rome last summer.  The US passport line in Rome was a complete fuck show.  Took at least 30-40 minutes just to get through that.

8 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Book a refundable flight for that leg.  If you make your original flight, cancel it and you've got flight credit.  If you don't, you were going to eat the cost of the original ticket anyways and you still have a good flight to get you home...

Book a refundable flight for that leg.  If you make your original flight, cancel it and you've got flight credit.  If you don't, you were going to eat the cost of the original ticket anyways and you still have a good flight to get you home...

I would be rebooking the first flight (OLB-FCO) to an earlier time, which would render my original later flight pointless. I would be sacrificing that flight as a sunk cost of about $400. There’s no way to know if I “made it” or not because I would already be on the new earlier flight.

The second flight is FCO-DFW, significantly more expensive, and currently nothing wrong with it. I’m not messing with that flight or booking a backup.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

new to the travel bug, outside of my three times a year travel to Alaska and back to Texas.  After teaching six years in the Alaska bush and saving money for retirement like nobody's business, I have finally figured out what I plan to do next.  All of the flying on little planes in rural Alaska has made me realize I am pretty good at roughing it.  Coached cross-country this year and the middle school boys won district! Go wolves! I made the boys and girls yell at the end of every practice and it was loads of fun.

We traveled to two villages and the big town.  I look pretty old and at one of the villages the host principal looked at me and asked if I brought an air mattress and I said "nope, it's only one night, don't need it".  He couldn't believe it, but I did just fine with only a sleeping bag on a hard classroom floor.  

I'm the same guy that is cheap enough to refuse to pay for a night in a motel in the summer in Anchorage.  This summer I was on my way up here to my local village, and chose to rent a car instead of getting a night in a motel.  I did the usual grocery shopping like a crazy man during the day and spent the night in a grocery store parking lot in the rent-a-car.  Worked like a charm with the exception of a street sweeper that woke me up at about 2:00 a.m.   

So, I am going to travel in the roughest way possible the Amtrak.  Found a website, a couple that are frequent Amtrak riders.  My first summer I will travel without the wife, because she is a stick in the mud, and I plan to find the lay of the land without her the first year.  Will buy the USA Rail pass, which is good for 30 days. 10 segments.  Regular price is $500, and the travel couple claim it goes on sale about once or twice a year.  Best thing of all is Amtrak allows unlimited food to be brought onto the train.  They had a funny story the other day about some industrious Boy Scouts getting a pizza ordered to the train station as they were traveling.  The USA Rail pass is only for coach.  

Anybody have any experience with the Amtrak Guest Rewards® Preferred Mastercard

The travel couple claim they recently bought roomettes for their entire year.  They say they paid retail price for 2 roomettes and got 5 roomettes free.  

I finally cashed in on my frequent Alaska points this year, and got the new credit card with 62,000 points.  I immediately bought my trips for the year with the points and am still building points.  I can use the remainder of my Alaska points to fly to a good starting point for a train trip,  like Chicago. 

If this works like I hope, the summer of 24 will help me get closer to my 50 states goal.  I want to "save the best for last" by making North Dakota my last state to visit.  I won't make it in 24, but maybe 25.  I just need to make sure I stay out of North Dakota before then.  Should be pretty easily accomplished.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, JGrayDBU said:

new to the travel bug, outside of my three times a year travel to Alaska and back to Texas.  After teaching six years in the Alaska bush and saving money for retirement like nobody's business, I have finally figured out what I plan to do next.  All of the flying on little planes in rural Alaska has made me realize I am pretty good at roughing it.  Coached cross-country this year and the middle school boys won district! Go wolves! I made the boys and girls yell at the end of every practice and it was loads of fun.

We traveled to two villages and the big town.  I look pretty old and at one of the villages the host principal looked at me and asked if I brought an air mattress and I said "nope, it's only one night, don't need it".  He couldn't believe it, but I did just fine with only a sleeping bag on a hard classroom floor.  

I'm the same guy that is cheap enough to refuse to pay for a night in a motel in the summer in Anchorage.  This summer I was on my way up here to my local village, and chose to rent a car instead of getting a night in a motel.  I did the usual grocery shopping like a crazy man during the day and spent the night in a grocery store parking lot in the rent-a-car.  Worked like a charm with the exception of a street sweeper that woke me up at about 2:00 a.m.   

So, I am going to travel in the roughest way possible the Amtrak.  Found a website, a couple that are frequent Amtrak riders.  My first summer I will travel without the wife, because she is a stick in the mud, and I plan to find the lay of the land without her the first year.  Will buy the USA Rail pass, which is good for 30 days. 10 segments.  Regular price is $500, and the travel couple claim it goes on sale about once or twice a year.  Best thing of all is Amtrak allows unlimited food to be brought onto the train.  They had a funny story the other day about some industrious Boy Scouts getting a pizza ordered to the train station as they were traveling.  The USA Rail pass is only for coach.  

Anybody have any experience with the Amtrak Guest Rewards® Preferred Mastercard

The travel couple claim they recently bought roomettes for their entire year.  They say they paid retail price for 2 roomettes and got 5 roomettes free.  

I finally cashed in on my frequent Alaska points this year, and got the new credit card with 62,000 points.  I immediately bought my trips for the year with the points and am still building points.  I can use the remainder of my Alaska points to fly to a good starting point for a train trip,  like Chicago. 

If this works like I hope, the summer of 24 will help me get closer to my 50 states goal.  I want to "save the best for last" by making North Dakota my last state to visit.  I won't make it in 24, but maybe 25.  I just need to make sure I stay out of North Dakota before then.  Should be pretty easily accomplished.  

This is one of the more interesting additions to this thread. It sounds simultaneously cool and awful. 

I used to take the Amtrak up to Dallas for the OU game before Covid and then they started making us stay in our seats and not drink, so that was the end of that. 

That’s all I got. 

• Like 1

The question will be can I incorporate the USA Rail Pass into seeing the remainder of the 50 states that I have not seen?  If it can work in the span of 2 summers, that would be amazing, and worth the trouble.  

I arrive in San Antonio on May 26.  I will try to finish off the states I have not seen in the northeast part of the country first.  The new teaching job should start around August 1, so plenty of time to get the 30 day pass completed between the end of May and August 1. 

Got an email from British Airways this morning...

Looks like they're joining everyone in changing the way their rewards are earned...

As an Executive Club Member, from 18 October 2023 you now collect Avios on British Airways-marketed flights based on the price of your ticket instead of the distance you fly.

I always see people talk about booking business class to Europe on points, but for the life of me, I’m ignorant about how to pull that off. Whenever I search the various airlines, it’s 300k+ points for flights I would be interested in.

I’m DFW based. There’s a nice nonstop flight from DFW-CDG on AA that takes about 9 hours overnight. This past summer I booked it with Chase points at the equivalent cash rate for main cabin, hoping to then upgrade to at least premium economy. AA made a reasonable offer for business class so I then paid cash for that, but they don’t always offer that, or sometimes the price is still outrageous. If I search that same flight for random dates next May, it’s 498k points.

I’m not married to that particular flight or to AA, but I am usually picky about schedule. I prefer a nonstop that leaves DFW on a Thurs/Fri afternoon/evening and returns the following Sat/Sun. I’m okay flying into most major cities in Europe, but I’m partial to France and Italy.

What’s the angle here? Are there certain cards or loyalty programs I should be loading up on? Or does it require me to be flexible enough to fly in off-peak months and make a connection in the eastern U.S. before flying to Europe?

16 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I always see people talk about booking business class to Europe on points, but for the life of me, I’m ignorant about how to pull that off. Whenever I search the various airlines, it’s 300k+ points for flights I would be interested in.

I’m DFW based. There’s a nice nonstop flight from DFW-CDG on AA that takes about 9 hours overnight. This past summer I booked it with Chase points at the equivalent cash rate for main cabin, hoping to then upgrade to at least premium economy. AA made a reasonable offer for business class so I then paid cash for that, but they don’t always offer that, or sometimes the price is still outrageous. If I search that same flight for random dates next May, it’s 498k points.

I’m not married to that particular flight or to AA, but I am usually picky about schedule. I prefer a nonstop that leaves DFW on a Thurs/Fri afternoon/evening and returns the following Sat/Sun. I’m okay flying into most major cities in Europe, but I’m partial to France and Italy.

What’s the angle here? Are there certain cards or loyalty programs I should be loading up on? Or does it require me to be flexible enough to fly in off-peak months and make a connection in the eastern U.S. before flying to Europe?

IMO, one major component of the points game is taking advantage of sign-up/initial spend bonuses to exponentially grow your points balance very quickly. Daily purchases are great and all, but nothing compares to a sign-up offer of XXX,XXX points if you spend $X in the first 3 months. Do that across a few cards and you'll have a shitload. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MidTexHorn said:

I haven’t read the whole thread. Trying to build up United points. Do I just cancel my Chase United card now that I’ve received my sign up points? What next? Get an Amex for the points then go back to Chase next year for more points?

You can obtain up to 5 different Chase cards in a 24 month period. This article lays out a strategy for maximizing.

https://thepointsguy.com/credit-cards/chase/the-best-ways-to-use-your-5-24-slots/

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, MidTexHorn said:

I haven’t read the whole thread. Trying to build up United points. Do I just cancel my Chase United card now that I’ve received my sign up points? What next? Get an Amex for the points then go back to Chase next year for more points?

Amex points don't transfer to United.  I'd go with the Sapphire tree and start accumulating MR points which can be transferred directly to United.

• Hook 'Em 1

Chase doesn’t count 5/24 JUST against their own cards. It’s period.

Even a couple biz cards have shown up.

Also watch out for bonus windows, or whatever they’re called. Certain cards, and probably more than when I last looked, will only allow you to receive a welcome bonus if you haven’t received one in the previous X amount of years. IIRC, sapphire is 48 months.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/15/2023 at 12:55 PM, Sam Lin said:

This. Respect.

Yeah, I am watching a bunch of YouTube of people who are riding on Amtrak for days at a time on coach.  Good advice from some of them, such as: 

1. bring a sleeping bag and pillow, 

2. bring your own food

But the thing is I am actually learning more from people who comment on the YouTubes.  Things that seem obvious like bring a change of clothes, small towel, change in the bathroom, etc.  Since I already cut my own hair because I live in rural Alaska where there is no barber, I would simply cut my hair very short before starting my 30 day adventure.(10 legs). That would cut down on any hair washing needed. 

I am thinking that I should do the traditional method of flying into New Jersey and renting a car in order to see the northeast states that I need to see to get closer to 50 states.  The tough part is Michigan.  Do I include Michigan in the car rental festival?  Rent a car in New Jersey, Michigan seems like a very far drive.  I guess I could lump Michigan in with Montana and Wisconsin?  I might end up doing that, and forgetting all about the Amtrak thing.  

The question is how quick could I do the rent-a-car thing.  I am hoping for about 4-5 nights?  I'm talking about starting in New Jersey, then to the other states such as Maine, New York, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Delaware, Pennsylvania, then head west to Ohio, Michigan then back south to states such as Kentucky.  I would have to fly in to Georgia to get Georgia and South Carolina.  too far to drive there and then try to drive back to Jersey to turn rent-a-car in. 

Then on a separate trip, probably summer 2025, I could hit the midwest states such as Wisconsin and go west to Utah, Idaho, Montana, and finish up with south Dakota and finally North Dakota and become a member of the "Save the best for last" club.  T-shirt name on the wall, the whole bit.  

On 10/24/2023 at 11:29 PM, JGrayDBU said:

Yeah, I am watching a bunch of YouTube of people who are riding on Amtrak for days at a time on coach.  Good advice from some of them, such as: 

1. bring a sleeping bag and pillow, 

2. bring your own food

But the thing is I am actually learning more from people who comment on the YouTubes.  Things that seem obvious like bring a change of clothes, small towel, change in the bathroom, etc.  Since I already cut my own hair because I live in rural Alaska where there is no barber, I would simply cut my hair very short before starting my 30 day adventure.(10 legs). That would cut down on any hair washing needed. 

I am thinking that I should do the traditional method of flying into New Jersey and renting a car in order to see the northeast states that I need to see to get closer to 50 states.  The tough part is Michigan.  Do I include Michigan in the car rental festival?  Rent a car in New Jersey, Michigan seems like a very far drive.  I guess I could lump Michigan in with Montana and Wisconsin?  I might end up doing that, and forgetting all about the Amtrak thing.  

The question is how quick could I do the rent-a-car thing.  I am hoping for about 4-5 nights?  I'm talking about starting in New Jersey, then to the other states such as Maine, New York, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Delaware, Pennsylvania, then head west to Ohio, Michigan then back south to states such as Kentucky.  I would have to fly in to Georgia to get Georgia and South Carolina.  too far to drive there and then try to drive back to Jersey to turn rent-a-car in. 

Then on a separate trip, probably summer 2025, I could hit the midwest states such as Wisconsin and go west to Utah, Idaho, Montana, and finish up with south Dakota and finally North Dakota and become a member of the "Save the best for last" club.  T-shirt name on the wall, the whole bit.  

Maybe I’m too big on personal hygiene, but this sounds awful.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I have a United Mileage Plus Visa card through Chase. My wife is not an AU on the account. They sent me an email to refer a friend and we each get 10,000 bonus miles, plus the friend still qualifies for a signup bonus. Any reason I can’t refer my wife for this offer?

Yeah, it counts against her for 5/24, and she could get a higher sign up bonus and you might even get a referral for referring her for the card. I’ve always felt the authorized user is not a smart play. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m interested in flying DFW-MAD in June. I see a nonstop on Iberia for around 60k Avios round trip in economy, but I don’t see any options for booking business class with Avios on any of the dates I’m considering.

Anyone know how likely it would be for me to book the economy fare on Avios and then be able to pay cash for the business upgrade? I would possibly settle for premium economy. I’m hesitant to book and then not get any upgrade options and be stuck in basic economy.

Or is there another approach I should be taking?

Any reason NOT to pull the trigger on the AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard right now?

Currently about to get fucked on Companion Pass with my SW card, so looking to shift that to something new that gets me lounge access.

Right now my primary spend is divided between my SW Visa and Amex Platinum. The latter has me covered at the Delta lounge, and the wife has a Sapphire that yields Chase access, so only missing AA at AUS.

Willing to wait if anyone has an inkling that 70k point offer gets better in the spring, but otherwise ready now…

Any reason NOT to pull the trigger on the AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard right now?

Currently about to get fucked on Companion Pass with my SW card, so looking to shift that to something new that gets me lounge access.

Right now my primary spend is divided between my SW Visa and Amex Platinum. The latter has me covered at the Delta lounge, and the wife has a Sapphire that yields Chase access, so only missing AA at AUS.

Willing to wait if anyone has an inkling that 70k point offer gets better in the spring, but otherwise ready now…
Starting next year your Amex Plat will only get you in the Delta SC lounge 10 times a year and that's it. For a flyer that's nothing.

4 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

You also have Centurian Club access with the Amex Platinum card. 

AMEX lounges are basically worthless at this point.  People report 45-1 hour wait times and lines out the door just to get in.  Not to mention you have to pay for guests now.  I have not been in an AMEX lounge at all this year.  You are better off just getting the card that gives you access to your prefered airlines lounge

• Like 1