Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

10 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Is the reason the Kh-22 so hard to intercept because it's such a low flyer?  

It has high and low altitude trajectories but in the past AFU has complained about their speed. Most likely it’s because they don’t have full Patriot coverage and the Russians use them where they know the Patriots aren’t. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Several of the missiles that got through were Kh-22s, which was developed as an anti-ship missile.  They’re inaccurate but pack a wallop and blow up all the shit around them.  AFU has not shot one down yet. 

Worth tracking for us because it’s a weapon that was designed exactly against us. 

I think we will see more infrastructure strikes, but my gut is that this was retaliation for the losses of jets and the Feodosia attack. 

fine then. The idiots can shoot at civilians while the Ukrainians take out Russian logistics in occupied territory and military assets anywhere near the front lines. Russia is losing

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

May be a stupid question but did this attack just overload the air defenses? I know we joke about russias air defense with “what air defense?” But the same question can be asked here… 

Ukraine is saying they shot down 114 out of 158 drones and missiles. All things considered, that seems pretty good to me. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Except now we’re talking about dead Ukrainian babies, which should beg the question, “Can Russia win?”

Bombing civilian targets only steels resolve.  If they were hitting military targets, everyone would pretty much shrug and say hey, it's a war.  It's a loser mentality because he's essentially saying join me or I'll kill you; well the Ukrainians have long ago made the choice that they'd rather die than rejoin Russia, there is no way this chances anyone's mind.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

May be a stupid question but did this attack just overload the air defenses? I know we joke about russias air defense with “what air defense?” But the same question can be asked here… 

No, not stupid at all.  This is one of, if not the largest, single attacks Russia has made over the course of the war.  They used a mix of platforms and made sure that AD was engaged with things like Shaheds and saturated the air space.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, B00M said:

Ukraine is saying they shot down 114 out of 158 drones and missiles. All things considered, that seems pretty good to me. 

Yeah I’d have to agree if it was a new “mix” of missiles and drones. I remember the last few “big strikes” it seemed like they got 90% at least, this is around 70%. Sad to say the least 

45 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Partly yes. Partly that Russia isn't targeting things with strategic value. Air defense can't be everywhere. It is impossible to protect every mall, apartment complex, and hospital from every type of threat. 

• Hook 'Em 2

There is some chatter that Ukraine got a Tu-22 as it was preparing to launch.  I am not going to link until a good source confirms. 

To recap how these attacks go, Russia does not use strategic aviation over Ukrainian territory.  They have been flying them inside Russia and launching their Kh-22s and Kinzhals from there.  So that means they shot it down in Russia if it happened and if they can do it more, this would have a serious impact on Russian strategy. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Most likely it’s because they don’t have full Patriot coverage and the Russians use them where they know the Patriots aren’t. 

1 hour ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

25 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Partly yes. Partly that Russia isn't targeting things with strategic value. Air defense can't be everywhere. It is impossible to protect every mall, apartment complex, and hospital from every type of threat. 

I said this was partly a “fuck you, if I can’t have it, neither can you” strategy from Putin (and I think they have some accuracy issues and don’t want to risk missiles hitting open fields), but a big part of it probably is Russia hitting civilian targets because they are outside of a lot of the air defenses.  I still think a lot of it is punitive by Putin,  but they know Ukraine has a lot of air defense.

On some level, Russia has to know where Ukrainian aircraft (planes and helicopters) are located, as well as Ukrainian munitions production and warehouses.  Some of it is heavily classified and disguised, but they have satellites.  All of those would-be targets, as well as major infrastructure in Kyiv and elsewhere, are probably well-protected.

• Hook 'Em 2

Great read on how Russia is looking to solve a pilot shortage:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/russias-new-jet-trainer-design-is-a-1990s-throwback

The Russian Aircraft Corporation (RAC) MiG has begun work on a new jet trainer, the MiG-UTS. The program is being launched with some urgency, reusing components from a previous MiG trainer design from the 1990s, amid growing problems in Russia’s military pilot training pipeline.

It was announced today on the website of the Rostec state defense conglomerate that RAC MiG has begun the development of the MiG-UTS, with the aircraft described as the centerpiece of a “new pilot training complex.” However, no more details were provided of the other components of this system.

Of interest farther down in the article is some discussion of how Russia struggles to replace and maintain its Czechoslovak (now Czech) built L-39 trainers.  That platform has been updated and is still in service and a good option for export customers looking for a well-made trainer.  A lot of times we focus in NATO on the interop problems faced by former Warsaw Pact Allies saddled with Soviet era equipment, especially expensive ones. But that defense-industrial ecosystem was built to support all the members and so it impacts Russia in unexpected places as well. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I was able to get the full article in the tweet. Needless to say, I fully support. There is something approaching half a trillion dollars of Russian money sloshing about in Western institutions and there’s no reason that taxpayer support for Ukraine shouldn’t be supplemented by Russian money. There’s a push to get this done by the second anniversary. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I was able to get the full article in the tweet. Needless to say, I fully support. There is something approaching half a trillion dollars of Russian money sloshing about in Western institutions and there’s no reason that taxpayer support for Ukraine shouldn’t be supplemented by Russian money. There’s a push to get this done by the second anniversary. 

This has been in the works for some time now, I wouldn't be surprised if covertly it's already going on with some level of black bridge financing.  I don't think it will be acknowledged, if at all, until after the Euro provision and the US provision pass.  At a certain point, if the Euro measure and the US provision bass it will look like this:

Euro - $20b (this is the without Orban measure, could potentially but unlikely increase to $100b)

US - $60b

Russian seized assets - $300b

vs

Russian Defense budget estimated $70b

So potentially $380b vs $70b.  Now money doesn't solve all problems, but it sure as hell helps.  This kind of funding also sends a very clear message to the Kremlin.

Fingers crossed on all of it.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Prepare your anus 1

39 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

This has been in the works for some time now, I wouldn't be surprised if covertly it's already going on with some level of black bridge financing.  I don't think it will be acknowledged, if at all, until after the Euro provision and the US provision pass.  At a certain point, if the Euro measure and the US provision bass it will look like this:

Euro - $20b (this is the without Orban measure, could potentially but unlikely increase to $100b)

US - $60b

Russian seized assets - $300b

vs

Russian Defense budget estimated $70b

So potentially $380b vs $70b.  Now money doesn't solve all problems, but it sure as hell helps.  This kind of funding also sends a very clear message to the Kremlin.

Fingers crossed on all of it.  

This has been in the works, but it has weight and a date behind it now. Someone wanted it out in advance of G7 meetings and the two-year mark; and it’s unlikely they’d have gotten it there if there wasn’t a good chance of it happening. People hate it when stuff like this is expected and fails to materialize.

We have the chance to do the funniest thing ever (send Russia a Czech with “From Russia, with Love” in the memo line). We can only dream of having that level of strategic communications. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Great read on how Russia is looking to solve a pilot shortage:

Am I the only one that laughed at this and stopped reading? 

This is SHOCKING. I am shocked. Thank God the only people left in Russia are incompetent, corrupt, drunken idiots. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

David Byrne Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Not quite. They used to be able to build lots and lots of shit. There was massive brain drain after the fall of the Soviet Union and when Putin started his forever special military operation. Now they can’t build lots of anything, just shit. 

edit for clarity, you’re right that they’ve always been drunk and corrupt. Now they’ve gone full regard on top. Regard strenff vs kamikazi drone, advantage Z trooper! 

Edited by B00M
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, B00M said:

Not quite. They used to be able to build lots and lots of shit. There was massive brain drain after the fall of the Soviet Union and when Putin started his forever special military operation. Now they can’t build lots of anything, just shit. 

edit for clarity, you’re right that they’ve always been drunk and corrupt. Now they’ve gone full regard on top. Regard strenff vs kamikazi drone, advantage Z trooper! 

I say this as someone with more time in Russia than anyone should have to go through: 

Spend enough time there and you will come away simultaneously awed at how shitty things are but impressed that they aren’t even worse. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I say this as someone with more time in Russia than anyone should have to go through: 

Spend enough time there and you will come away simultaneously awed at how shitty things are but impressed that they aren’t even worse. 

Have your read this?  I think you would like it. More people should read it.

45D8F2625DD9FA3855582C535D1E0F0542C84381.jpeg.c29a8e7fe1a50021da17d0812634dc3c.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-12-29-23/h_1fb81b4198dbdd4f2893d3fe696829a6

Poland summons Russian charge d'affaires over airspace incident

Polish Deputy Foreign Minister Władysław Teofil Bartoszewski summoned the chargé d’affaires of the Russian Federation, Andrei Ordash, on Friday,  following "an unidentified airborne object" entering Polish airspace early Friday morning, the Polish foreign ministry said in a statement.

According to the statement, Ordash was handed a note requesting an explanation for the violation of Polish airspace, which the ministry said was a Russian missile. Ordash said the note "contained only unfounded accusations,” adding that “the Polish side refused to provide evidence that the missile was of Russian origin,” according to Russian state media RIA Novosti.

Ordash went on to say that Russia “will not give explanations” concerning the incident “until concrete evidence is presented."

Poland: Angry Season 9 GIF by Friends

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Man, I hope those weren't civilian but legitimate targets. Watching those clips, I'm afraid they were the former.

I would understand the impulse to do it, but it would erode international support big time on top of just being wrong.  Let's hope not.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

How it’s done is to send lots of air defense immediately AFTER a large scale air attack?

I mean, it helps to replenish what was expended in defense of that attack so that’s valuable.  But would a few more batteries provide additional coverage area or redundant coverage for higher volume target attacks?  And if they are available then why aren’t they there?

Russia is demanding that Czech Republic explain why its munitions were used to attack Belgorod:

The public system that would most likely fit the bill is the RM-70 Vampire.  It fires the same Grad rockets that the well known Russian BM-21 uses. Belgorod is at the REALLY far reach of their range. (Incidentally I helped crowdfund a Vampire for Ukraine this year and I get the warm fuzzies over it).

image.thumb.jpeg.4141262931e349e1c729feb1edc3f87d.jpeg

My advice here is to watch this space.  The Russians have worse relations with the Czechs than even us and very little to lose by pointing the finger. The race to attribute this to them raises some real doubts.  There’s also real possibilities that (as happens in Ukraine often) air defense and debris is the culprit. 

I won’t say “false flag” but what I will say is that whatever version the Russians offer up is likely not true. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

I am getting more and more skeptical. Now the Russian MOD is claiming that both Vampires and indigenous Ukrainian Vilkha rockets with “cluster munitions” were used. This is getting extremely self-serving as the Russians have been crying about cluster munitions since we sent them, and they also get to whine about “NATO weapons.”

I am doubtful AFU would use cluster munitions against a civilian area. And luckily, RU says they intercepted all of those! 

I can very much believe Russian air defense fell on Belgorod. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

Not sure what happened. I was asking why you stated we don’t get along with the Czechs.

I wrote that in a shitty way. I meant that Russia-Czech relations are even worse than Russia-U.S. ties.  We are pretty tight with the Czechs, really tight. Charter members of Russia’s official “not friends” club, 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1