Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

38 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Someone saying "nuclear" and "fire" together makes me break out the google device.

Fire briefly breaks out on Russian nuclear-powered icebreaker
Reuters
December 24, 20233:56 PM CSTUpdated an hour ago

Dec 24 (Reuters) - A fire that broke out on Russia's only nuclear-powered icebreaker and cargo ship was promptly extinguished, the Murmansk branch of the emergency ministry said late on Sunday.

"There were no casualties in the incident," the ministry said on the Telegram messaging app.

The Murmansk region, in Russia's northwest, shares borders with Finland and Norway, as well as with the Barents and White seas.

Earlier, the ministry said that the fire broke out in one of the cabins of the Sevmporput ship in an area of about 30 square meters (323 square feet).

The ship, which entered service in 1988 and went through an extensive upgrade a decade ago, is Russia's only nuclear-powered icebreaking transport ship, according to the Russian state nuclear firm Rosatom.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, bolverk said:

A fire that broke out on Russia's only nuclear-powered icebreaker and cargo ship was promptly extinguished, the Murmansk branch of the emergency ministry said late on Sunday.

"There were no casualties in the incident," the ministry said on the Telegram messaging app.

So how many actually died?  10? 20?

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:

So how contested is the airspace over the battlefield?  Will these kickass American F16’s be able to show us what they do?

The Russian air defense is designed to work real close to it's ground forces, so I suspect we will find out soon.  However, it's been fairly clear that for the past several months this has all be specifically targeted by the Ukrainians.  I imagine the first task will be to eliminate the remaining s300s as a first order of business.  Getting painted will give away position, so it's a risky operation, but think of it like a rope a dope.  I'm not sure how many decoy radar painters we sent them, but I imagine if that is what they will have they will use those, get them painted and attempt to destroy systems based on that.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I am far from a modern warfare tactical expert. BUT, if you asked me I'd use the F-16 primarily against Russian bombers launching missiles. Secondary would be an attack missile platform. Third would be fuck up any asshole that thought it would be a good idea to enter your airspace. Again, I'm no expert.

Edited by RPM

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

I think they will be used in Ukraines first true combined arms assault.

Deploying the Patriot in the south I think is telling.  They intend on clearing the airspace and Russian air defense in the Kherson region is my guess.  The Patriot system gives them a better shot at flying without being engaged by enemy air to air.  That's my guess anyway.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, BamaATL said:

The Russian air defense is designed to work real close to it's ground forces, so I suspect we will find out soon.  However, it's been fairly clear that for the past several months this has all be specifically targeted by the Ukrainians.  I imagine the first task will be to eliminate the remaining s300s as a first order of business.  Getting painted will give away position, so it's a risky operation, but think of it like a rope a dope.  I'm not sure how many decoy radar painters we sent them, but I imagine if that is what they will have they will use those, get them painted and attempt to destroy systems based on that.  

Can you explain .. slower.. like I’m regarded 

thanks

5 hours ago, B00M said:

Can you explain .. slower.. like I’m regarded 

thanks

Radars emit microwaves when they track airborne targets. The US has developed anti-radiation missiles (e.g. the AGM-88 HARM) that will follow the microwaves back to the emitter, ie. the radar installation.

There are planes that fly “wild weasel” missions. Their task is to get enemy radars to track and lock onto them. Then they fire the HARM and GTFO of Dodge.

It’s likely the US has also given Ukraine decoys that mimic airplanes. So the hope is the radars lock onto the decoys instead of the planes themselves.

Slow enough for ya?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BamaATL said:

I’m assuming that all of the hydraulic and electrical systems on those large cranes are now inoperable as well, considering the scope and heat of the fire - (hopefully.)   If so, that may result in a bigger long-term problem for the port than just one ship and its cargo.

• Hook 'Em 3

EDIT: See 956's post just below.

Erdogan and his party are still being dicks and slow-playing Sweden's accession into NATO.

Turkey’s Parliament Resumes Talks on Sweden’s NATO Bid, Still in Limbo
Turkey has been slow walking approval of Sweden’s accession to the alliance as Ankara seeks concessions from other members.

The foreign affairs committee of Turkey’s Parliament on Tuesday resumed talks on Sweden’s bid to join NATO, a process that Turkish officials have been slow walking for months.

Yet there were no indications that Tuesday’s discussion would significantly advance the process, which Turkey has repeatedly delayed, saying that Sweden, the United States and Canada all needed to meet Turkish demands.

Both Sweden and Finland applied to join NATO, a process that requires unanimous support from the alliance’s 31 member states, last year after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. Turkey initially blocked them both, and although it has since relented on Finland, paving the way for that country to join NATO in March, Turkey has continued to hold out on Sweden.

Multiple NATO leaders have said that Sweden has done all that is needed to join, and Turkey’s repeated delays in approving Sweden’s entry have exasperated other members of the alliance, who view Turkey as leveraging its position for domestic gain.

The Turkish president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, in addition to arguing that Sweden needs to crack down more on dissidents whom his country considers terrorists, has linked approval of Sweden’s accession to disputes that Turkey has with other NATO members.

From the United States, Turkey wants a $20 billion package of American-made F-16 fighter jets and upgrade kits for jets that it already has. The Biden administration has said that it supports the sale, but members of Congress have objected, citing Turkey’s human rights record and its stance on Sweden.

Mr. Erdogan has also noted that the decision on Sweden lies with the Turkish Parliament, not with him, although his party and its political allies hold a commanding share of votes that could easily pass the measure.

“If you have your Congress, I have my Parliament,” Mr. Erdogan told Turkish journalists in comments published on Dec. 8. “You say you will take a step in the F-16 issue after passing through Congress. I also have a Parliament.”

He also suggested that both matters be settled at the same time.

“If we are two NATO allies, then do what you have to simultaneously, in solidarity, and our Parliament will take the necessary decision,” he said.

Mr. Erdogan has also tried to use Sweden’s NATO bid to pressure Canada, another NATO member, which has imposed export restrictions on optical equipment that Turkey uses in its drones.

“On the issue of drone cameras we wanted from them, Canada is insisting: Sweden, Sweden,” Mr. Erdogan said.

It remains unclear whether enough progress has been made in private discussions between Turkey, Canada and the United States to persuade Mr. Erdogan to push his Parliament to approve Sweden’s NATO bid.

For the measure to move forward, the Parliament’s foreign affairs committee must approve it, and it must then be scheduled for a full parliamentary vote. The committee has discussed the issue before, but there is no fixed timeline for any of the steps.

The only other NATO member still to approve Sweden’s accession is Hungary, although Hungarian officials have said that they will follow Turkey’s lead.

Edited by bolverk