Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

I wrote that in a shitty way. I meant that Russia-Czech relations are even worse than Russia-U.S. ties.  We are pretty tight with the Czechs, really tight. Charter members of Russia’s official “not friends” club, 

That’s what I thought. Also could be my sleep deprived reading. Thanks for the clarification.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

That letter is a masterclass in clear and effective communications when dealing with a broker that is dishonest on every level.  It is very disappointing that we are unable to get our heads out of our asses on strategic communications. 

whatever we’re (not) doing with the houthis after moving 2 fleets there has me second guessing a lot right now. What do you think the issue is? 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, B00M said:

whatever we’re (not) doing with the houthis after moving 2 fleets there has me second guessing a lot right now. What do you think the issue is? 

It’s odd…US seems to be building up a large Tomahawk presence in the region (even if it’s a byproduct of Aegis-equipped ships being deployed). Denmark is sending a frigate, and other nations are joining up,  India is promising to retaliate against Iran after a drone from Iran hit a ship near India.  Shit is weird.

Meanwhile, Russia retaliates with 6 S-300s over Belgorod (which seems to be a lot of Russian AD collateral damage)

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, B00M said:

Don’t wanna CR the DT, so I am sticking to structures and process here. 

To say that our current policy formulation is too-heavy and White House driven is an understatement. The current NSC is also EXTREMELY lawyer heavy.  We get paralyzed by both the simple inability of this small group of people to keep up, we also get paralyzed by nuance. It is a creaky process that does not reward clear feedback to decision makers.  And they’ve lost good, clear thinkers with expertise and experience like Fiona Hill.

Jake Sullivan is emblematic of this. Take a look at his background.  The top person has spent a career in law and at a staff and policy-level positions.  He’s brilliant. But he’s never seen at the operational level what it means to pull a trigger or deliver a demarche or what the policy looks like on the ground.  He’s been positions where he’s almost never been told “you’re wrong” by an expert on force or diplomacy.  It’s a role where you have one client and one metric of success— “is the principal satisfied.”  

And everyone you interact with has a strong incentive for you and the principal to be satisfied.  A lot of relevant options and feedback never gets presented because the implementers can feel vibes and know how to self-censor. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Sometimes simplicity really is the best plan.  

I do not apologize for my plan to get Kaja Kallas all hot and bothered by our detailed discussion of the destruction of Russian military forces and assets over a few glasses of whiskey, then we hit the sauna, a cold plunge, and then….other diplomatic activities. This will happen.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Don’t wanna CR the DT, so I am sticking to structures and process here. 

To say that our current policy formulation is too-heavy and White House driven is an understatement. The current NSC is also EXTREMELY lawyer heavy.  We get paralyzed by both the simple inability of this small group of people to keep up, we also get paralyzed by nuance. It is a creaky process that does not reward clear feedback to decision makers.  And they’ve lost good, clear thinkers with expertise and experience like Fiona Hill.

Jake Sullivan is emblematic of this. Take a look at his background.  The top person has spent a career in law and at a staff and policy-level positions.  He’s brilliant. But he’s never seen at the operational level what it means to pull a trigger or deliver a demarche or what the policy looks like on the ground.  He’s been positions where he’s almost never been told “you’re wrong” by an expert on force or diplomacy.  It’s a role where you have one client and one metric of success— “is the principal satisfied.”  

And everyone you interact with has a strong incentive for you and the principal to be satisfied.  A lot of relevant options and feedback never gets presented because the implementers can feel vibes and know how to self-censor. 

so if I’m reading this correctly, in our lower leadership positions, we’ve cultivated a culture of yes men that’s being roadblocked by bickering lawyers at the highest level? The lawyers almost sound like a good thing when you put it that way

Confused Jim Carrey GIF

Edited by B00M
Thank you, btw, that was a lot to take in lol
  • Haha 2

Also, dissent in these hierarchical organizations has its own etiquette, and it’s learned at all levels.  You learn how and when to solicit dissent as a a 2nd lieutenant from your NCOs.  You learn it as a junior officer from your local staff in the field. You learn its importance and more importantly, how to ASK for it. 

You don’t learn it as a body man for a principal. Now take a look at Sullivan’s bio:

Jake Sullivan, a senior fellow at the Carsey School of Public Policy, currently serves as the United States National Security Advisor to President Joe Biden. Sullivan was a member of the Master in Public Policy faculty at the Carsey School from 2018 to 2020, teaching the required “Policy Across Borders” course. 

Sullivan served as Deputy Assistant to President Barack Obama, National Security Advisor to Vice President Biden, Director of Policy Planning in the State Department, and as Deputy Chief of Staff to U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. He was Senior Advisor to the U.S. government at the Iran nuclear negotiations and Senior Policy Adviser to Secretary Clinton's 2016 presidential campaign. 

Previously, he served as Deputy Policy Director on Hillary Clinton's 2008 presidential primary campaign and as a member of the debate preparation team for Barack Obama's general election campaign. Sullivan also previously served as a Senior Policy Advisor and chief counsel to Senator Amy Klobuchar from his home state of Minnesota. He clerked for Justice Stephen Breyer of the Supreme Court of the United States and Judge Guido Calabresi of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.

Aside from clerking and teaching, he’s always been a body man to very high ranking people. You learn quickly in that job that filtering bad news and dissent for the boss is how you win.  

• Hook 'Em 2

The Ukrainian New Year is not only a time for greetings, but also for action.

Not only for wishes, but also for doing everything possible to make them come true.  

We, the Ukrainians, understand better than anybody else that a better future does not come by itself, but only because we defend each of our tomorrows.  

Our New Year will be what we make it.   The New Year's miracle, but also the year-round miracle, is all of you: dedicated, responsible, caring, and effective.

Olena @ZelenskaUA and I wish the people who defend a free and secure future life and vigour, not only for themselves, but for the whole world.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Super important article detailing the rejuvenation of Russian security apparatus. 

In staging their comeback, Russia’s spy agencies have also internalized another important lesson from the Soviet years: the strategic use of ideology. In the 1930s, Moscow was able to win over many Westerners to the Soviet cause by aiming its arguments at Western deficiencies rather than promoting Marxist doctrine. At the time, Soviet agents learned that they did not really need to sell a full-fledged communist ideology; instead, they could portray the Soviet Union as an alternative to Western imperialism, emphasizing the West’s double standards and hypocrisy and offering in contrast a leader who stood up against global powers. These ideas are exactly what Russian agencies can now pedal to potential allies and recruits in Russia’s new intelligence war with the West.

I cannot overstate the extent to which, if the U.S. can’t deliver aid to Ukraine, it will be because of Russian tradecraft and smart exploitation of our own issues.  It already is a ringing success. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

50 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

If that was in fact a Bradley IFV that attacked, and the 50 cal gunfire after the fact indicates it might have been, then the first strike was a TOW missile.  

Jesus, I saw IFV, my brain broke and I thought FPV. I thought the vehicle being hit was the Bradley and it somehow took out the filming drone ((delete user, ban post))

Rainbow What GIF by Abitan

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, B00M said:

Jesus, I saw IFV, my brain broke and I thought FPV. I thought the vehicle being hit was the Bradley and it somehow took out the filming drone ((delete user, ban post))

Rainbow What GIF by Abitan

Well, in fairness, I've been told that at times I slip into my own vernacular, both written and spoken.  I subscribe that criticism.