Cool Pictures of Music Icons

dcbc

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Playing drums in Ringo's band has to be similar to playing drums in Foo Fighters.  (No doubt Keltner was up to the task, but talk about pressure.)

First time I saw Ringo and his All-Star band was at Aqua Fest.

His son Zachary was the alternate drummer when Ringo came out front to sing.

The rest of the band was Burton Cummings of the Guess Who on keyboards.

Timothy B Schmit of the Eagles on bass.

Joe Walsh of the Eagles on guitar.

Nils Lofgren on guitar.

That show was amazing and each band member did a couple of songs from their original bands.

The first one they did was No Time by the Guess Who. The crowd went nuts as did I.

I will never forget that show.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think that's the back wall of shop class at my high school.

Same here. We had this guy named Sam Crabb who pretty much looked like all of those dudes put together. Senior when I was a sophomore. In shop class one day he grabbed my buddies geometry book, put it in the drill press and drilled a 1 inch hole straight through it. My buddy just ate the cost of the book. You did not rat on Sam Crabb. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Same here. We had this guy named Sam Crabb who pretty much looked like all of those dudes put together. Senior when I was a sophomore. In shop class one day he grabbed my buddies geometry book, put it in the drill press and drilled a 1 inch hole straight through it. My buddy just ate the cost of the book. You did not rat on Sam Crabb. 

Damn, that made me laugh.  SO similar to my HS experiences.  We had some real treasures, including the psychopath who cut the head off a cat and jammed in on a golf trophy in the trophy case.  He could have been a Baylor Bear if he wasn't dumber than dirt.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 6:03 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

Jimmy Page and Anthony Faucci.

GF7-h5aXwAA1PI-.jpg

Who are two people who've never been in my kitchen?  

Speaking of Fauci, at the tail-end of Covid when people were just starved for content.  Page gave an interview talking about what he was up to musically.  And he talked about the Kennedy Center honor and the "Might Get Loud" documentary.  And he got nostalgic about Zeppelin, and the Firm, and Coverdale, and Page/Plant Unplugged and no more reunion shows because of Robert's feelings on the matter.  I couldn't find it just now, watched it about 2 years ago.  But the guy asks him, quite awkwardly, why he didn't go on to make more original music given his skill-set and penchant for brilliant songwriting.  And this glowing solemnity came over Page's face and he basically says, "Everything I ever had in me, everything I was here to do...it went out the door with Led Zeppelin catalogue.  I did the remasters, I did some smaller projects afterwards.  But that was my tank and it's empty.  And it the most wonderful ride."  You see so many brilliant artists flame out or die young.  But this photo of him in just a constant state of happiness.  I love that the Stones and McCartney and Townshend and Gilmour are still pushing out great stuff.  But Jimmy seems super happy to have just lived this brilliant creation phase and still do this thing, but he seems to have no regrets and is the epitome of the sports cliche...the man left it all out on the field.  And we are all the better for it, though I doubt we'll be as lucky.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Damn, that made me laugh.  SO similar to my HS experiences.  We had some real treasures, including the psychopath who cut the head off a cat and jammed in on a golf trophy in the trophy case.  He could have been a Baylor Bear if he wasn't dumber than dirt.

Yep. I watched some guys play baseball with frogs once. 

23 hours ago, brakeman said:

image.png.f6efe337712572cd6790e6c76046e511.png

Yeah, everybody loves sucking Prince's dick, but what a fucking weirdo.   He makes most rock stars look sane.   Neg me for saying this if you will, but this motherfucker went out of his way to be a weirdo.  It wasn't organic, it was a strategy.  

"He's afraid of crowds"

Meanwhile: "He's at 'Carlos' and Charlie's'"

I'm sorry that he's gone, but he was a fucking nut.

"He's a recluse"

Meanwhile: "He knocks on doors to pass out "The Watchtower" (and not the Dylan/Jimi "Watchtower"). 

Edited by Gil Bang

20 hours ago, deadshank said:

@Gil Bang is right.  It’s not just Prince.   Plenty of folks are like this. Some more than others.  Music and Hollywood stars seem to take it to another level.   Maybe it’s about their “image.”    Who knows?

Maybe the thing that makes some weird is also the thing that makes them talented.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Maybe the thing that makes some weird is also the thing that makes them talented.

Maybe.  Maybe not. 

Does art reflect life or does life reflect art?   That question has been posed, argued and left unsolved for a long time.  

Had a great time at the Austin Music Awards.  Before the show, my wife and I happened to be in line behind @texasdago, who figured out who I was and who is exactly as Italian as I expected him to be.  I was most looking forward to Ben Kweller and Pussy Gillette, but the band that surprised me was DAIISTAR.  Outstanding psych-inspired Tex-Brit pop-rock.  (I came up with that.)

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Had a great time at the Austin Music Awards.  Before the show, my wife and I happened to be in line behind @texasdago, who figured out who I was and who is exactly as Italian as I expected him to be.  I was most looking forward to Ben Kweller and Pussy Gillette, but the band that surprised me was DAIISTAR.  Outstanding psych-inspired Tex-Brit pop-rock.  (I came up with that.)

Yeah, completely agree... I missed DAIISTAR when they were at the Pysch Fest last year and schedules have never worked to see them live.  They were so good live... good to be in agreement with Die Spitz royalty like jimmyjazz