Las Vegas go hard or go home thread

bigup2dahorns

21 hours ago, Rhyners said:

Well that's a stupid thing to say to a professional chef. 

But hey, if you want cold horribly spiced garbage for premium prices to make yourself feel special like a little princess then you be you. 

I've read probably a couple dozen people post about Momofuku.  All glowing, except yours.  So 3 options:

1) They are all fucking idiots and you're a genius

2) Your taste differs wildly from basically everyone else

3) You went on a bad day/ got a bad dish/ don't like the way they prepared what you ordered.

12 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

I've read probably a couple dozen people post about Momofuku.  All glowing, except yours.  So 3 options:

3) You went on a bad day/ got a bad dish/ don't like the way they prepared what you ordered.

4) The menu didn't include mozzarella sticks or potato skins.

• Like 4

On 7/8/2019 at 4:52 PM, Rhyners said:

At the Cosmo now. Great hotel but Momofuku might be the worst meal I've ever had. Over $60 for two bowls of cold ridiculously spiced garbage. Is this place in business by continuously ripping off new visitors?

not sure why people are hating on your thoughts on Momo.  i loves me some david chang but when i was there in March, it was the worst meal of the whole 4 days i was there.  it wasn't awful, it just was meh, and definitely not worth the $$$ that we spent.  3 of the 4 people in my party found it very meh.  the one chic who loved it is a vegetarian.  she went back the next night and then agreed with us that it was meh.  did nobu twice because i loves me some nobu.

we found an incredible korean bbq place.  Hobak Korean BBQ.  it's off the strip but it was fucking to die for.  best pork you'll ever have.  i still dream of that place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

not sure why people are hating on your thoughts on Momo.  i loves me some david chang but when i was there in March, it was the worst meal of the whole 4 days i was there.  it wasn't awful, it just was meh, and definitely not worth the $$$ that we spent.  3 of the 4 people in my party found it very meh.  the one chic who loved it is a vegetarian.  she went back the next night and then agreed with us that it was meh.  did nobu twice because i loves me some nobu.

we found an incredible korean bbq place.  Hobak Korean BBQ.  it's off the strip but it was fucking to die for.  best pork you'll ever have.  i still dream of that place.

I've never eaten at another Chang restaurant but usually what happens with these celebrity chef places is it will be awesome when it first opens and the chef is putting a lot of time and effort into the launch*. Then after the buzz dies down the restaurant settles and in some cases is turned over to a very quality and capable executive chef who maintains the quality level. Other times it's turned over to a lesser quality chef and the restaurant quality decreases. I'm guessing the latter is what's happening with Momofuku. It wasn't inedible, but for the price charged it's downright embarrassing. It appeared very little care was given to the simplest of basics like seasoning/spice level and profile and even serving temperature. I'd understand more if it was slammed but there were about 8 people dining when we ate there and we were a party of 2. I'd be embarrassed to put my name on those dishes even at a $15 a plate price level. 

Afterwards we turned our attention to Chinatown and had some very quality meals for less than half the price. I don't mind paying strip prices if the quality is up to par but dishes in Chinatown at a third of the price or less should not be absolutely blowing away these expensive strip meals. 

* I'm guessing the exception is Ramsey who seems to be willing to put his name on every single restaurant that he possibly can in Vegas. No way is he overseeing all these launches. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Sometimes the crowd doesn't recognize quality and gets worked up in hype. Another example from my trip was a place called Pizza Rock. Heard from several people, including some very accomplished in the restaurant industry, that it came highly recommended and even came close to touching some NYC elite pies. It ended up being decent but to be honest I've had several small pizza joints in Austin/Houston/San Antonio/Metroplex that blow it away, and those don't come close to the best of the NYC pies. I think Vegas is especially susceptible to this as people are not only inundated with hype but are usually inebriated to some extent so judgement gets skewed. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rhyners said:

Sometimes the crowd doesn't recognize quality and gets worked up in hype. Another example from my trip was a place called Pizza Rock. Heard from several people, including some very accomplished in the restaurant industry, that it came highly recommended and even came close to touching some NYC elite pies. It ended up being decent but to be honest I've had several small pizza joints in Austin/Houston/San Antonio/Metroplex that blow it away, and those don't come close to the best of the NYC pies. I think Vegas is especially susceptible to this as people are not only inundated with hype but are usually inebriated to some extent so judgement gets skewed. 

I suspect you are the type of person who would discount Lotus of Siam because it was in a strip mall.

• Like 1

For those who are saying we are assholes for going after Rhyners, here's the issue.  Instead of just saying he didn't care for the meal and leaving it at that, he's going overboard (because he's a chef and therefore the only one who can adequately judge good food).  Here are quotes from him in this thread:

At the Cosmo now. Great hotel but Momofuku might be the worst meal I've ever had. Over $60 for two bowls of cold ridiculously spiced garbage. Is this place in business by continuously ripping off new visitors?

Well that's a stupid thing to say to a professional chef. 

But hey, if you want cold horribly spiced garbage for premium prices to make yourself feel special like a little princess then you be you. 

Sometimes the crowd doesn't recognize quality and gets worked up in hype

Many of us in this thread have eaten at some of the best restaurants in the country and the world.  We know good food when we eat it.  But because he had one dish he didn't like, he has decided Momo is a shit restaurant and we all must respect his authoritah because he's a chef.   David Chang has 7 Beard nominations (and 4 wins).  I'd say it's more than the folks on this board who think his restaurants are good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I suspect you are the type of person who would discount Lotus of Siam because it was in a strip mall.

I guess you aren't familiar with the layout of the Vegas Chinatown that I enjoyed far more. Not exactly fancy pants city but solid work done there. 

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

For those who are saying we are assholes for going after Rhyners, here's the issue.  Instead of just saying he didn't care for the meal and leaving it at that, he's going overboard (because he's a chef and therefore the only one who can adequately judge good food).  Here are quotes from him in this thread:

Many of us in this thread have eaten at some of the best restaurants in the country and the world.  We know good food when we eat it.  But because he had one dish he didn't like, he has decided Momo is a shit restaurant and we all must respect his authoritah because he's a chef.   David Chang has 7 Beard nominations (and 4 wins).  I'd say it's more than the folks on this board who think his restaurants are good.

Everyone has different tastes but I'm not even judging by that. The dishes we tried were sloppy and lazily made. I can recognize quality and craftmanship in dishes I personally don't like because they aren't in my range of personal tastes. I've tasted some dishes (and made plenty) that I personally don't enjoy because they're food that I don't like to eat but are great dishes to people who enjoy that particular type of food. I would never disparage someone's dish that falls into that category. 

Again, it's not like Chang himself was making these dishes. Almost certainly he wasn't overseeing the kitchen. I don't take the bad experience as a reflection on his abilities as a chef, but instead possibly on his ability to establish quality management of a restaurant that has his name associated with it. Even that is a slippery slope upon which to criticize because it's very difficult to find quality help in the industry these days and it's getting even worse by the year. 

A friend of mine just shut down a very good restaurant he opened in Dallas by Love Field not because of lack of patronage but simply because of lack of quality workers. He could not establish a crew to keep his standards of quality so he shuttered the doors. 

25 minutes ago, Rhyners said:

Everyone has different tastes but I'm not even judging by that. The dishes we tried were sloppy and lazily made. I can recognize quality and craftmanship in dishes I personally don't like because they aren't in my range of personal tastes. I've tasted some dishes (and made plenty) that I personally don't enjoy because they're food that I don't like to eat but are great dishes to people who enjoy that particular type of food. I would never disparage someone's dish that falls into that category. 

Again, it's not like Chang himself was making these dishes. Almost certainly he wasn't overseeing the kitchen. I don't take the bad experience as a reflection on his abilities as a chef, but instead possibly on his ability to establish quality management of a restaurant that has his name associated with it. Even that is a slippery slope upon which to criticize because it's very difficult to find quality help in the industry these days and it's getting even worse by the year. 

A friend of mine just shut down a very good restaurant he opened in Dallas by Love Field not because of lack of patronage but simply because of lack of quality workers. He could not establish a crew to keep his standards of quality so he shuttered the doors. 

So you’re saying if it’s not soup nazi execution, you don’t care for it?

37 minutes ago, Rhyners said:

If you’re talking about Mockingbird Diner (and I know you are), tell your friend to keep fuckin that chicken.

Or maybe you should?

Had nothing to do with the shitty concept or really shitty location or shitty buildout or lack of signage or whatever else doomed the place from the jump.  Nope.  It was the lack of quality workers.

Oddly, tons of other restaurants within a 5 mile radius have been able to be successful despite all the inadequate workers.  Weird.

As I tell my kid...learn to point the thumb, not the finger.

17 hours ago, Landomatic said:

If you’re talking about Mockingbird Diner (and I know you are), tell your friend to keep fuckin that chicken.

Or maybe you should?

Had nothing to do with the shitty concept or really shitty location or shitty buildout or lack of signage or whatever else doomed the place from the jump.  Nope.  It was the lack of quality workers.

Oddly, tons of other restaurants within a 5 mile radius have been able to be successful despite all the inadequate workers.  Weird.

As I tell my kid...learn to point the thumb, not the finger.

I'm sure there were multiple factors but apparently the books weren't one if them. Hard to find quality help in lower cost diner style operations but as I'm not local to the area I'm going off what I've been told over a couple of years time. 

You do seem downright angry about this though. That's confusing, as if you have a personal stake in Momofuku or something. 

Just now, Rhyners said:

If you charge soup Nazi prices and deliver McDonalds execution there's a problem. 

I never made it to mockingbird, but I’m a big fan of jack. He treats regulars like family...slowbone / m&m were good respites during a couple tough stays at children’s.

51 minutes ago, Rhyners said:

You do seem downright angry about this though. That's confusing, as if you have a personal stake in Momofuku or something. 

Considering that’s the first comment I’ve made to you about any of this and I didn’t even mention Momofuku, not sure where you’re getting “angry”.  Or any of that really.

The “confusing” part seems about right though.  For most of what you post.

I guess you aren't familiar with the layout of the Vegas Chinatown that I enjoyed far more. Not exactly fancy pants city but solid work done there. 

Not to get caught up in all the other stuff going on in this thread lately but if you want good Asian food in Vegas, Chinatown is where it’s at. Not just Chinese but Japanese and Korean as well. Raku and Hachi are 2 of my favorite Japanese places.

Just got back from a weekend trip with the wife, stayed at Encore Tower Suites. There has been some discussion on these boards about Wynn/Encore slipping in quality but we thought it was as good as it's ever been. Service was excellent - we were always addressed by name, everyone was very friendly, willing to please, etc. Drink service was slow at the tables, but we've noticed that other places as well.

Friday we ate Jardin for brunch, hit the Wynn Euro pool, ate Allegro for dinner #1, went to see O at Bellagio, and then ate at CATCH for dinner #2. Everything was great. There have been mixed reviews about CATCH around here but our experience was top notch. Service was very good, food was good, nice vibe with good music, lots of scenery. 

Saturday we ate Tableau for brunch, hit the Wynn Euro pool followed by the Encore adults pool, ate SW Steakhouse for dinner #1, went to XS for a bit, then ate Allegro for late night dinner #2.

Landomatic mentioned the Encore adults pool no longer being Euro style sunbathing, which is true, but let me just say the thong game is strong there.

Craps were not kind this weekend but that's life. I've had some pretty successful gambling trips in the past and things have to even out at some point. I'm also reaching a point where I enjoy gambling less so that's becoming less of a focal point of Vegas trips. More time at the pool, eating, drinking, socializing, people watching, etc. I still like to do some gambling, but I lose interest after an hour or so.

• Like 2

One of the consistently good meals I used to have in Vegas was a loaded hotdog & a Heineken from the little cart run by an Asian family back by the sports book in the old Barbary Coast. Originally $1, but eventually went up to $1.25 with coupon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Any of y'all degenerates done the adult pool thing in Vegas?  Kind of thought this might be fun.  My wife has no fear of being topless (no pics).

BTW, we may be staying at Mandalay Bay as this is where all the regulars that are going with us stay each year.

Mrs Landomatic and I go at the Wynn every time we’re in Vegas.  Generally speaking, it’s not what you hope it will be.  Last time we went, there were a few decent tits.  But it’s usually about 5 total girls with their tops off and 4 of the 5 you wish would put their tops back on.  On average, you’ll seen just 1 or 2 nice set of naked tits.  Last trip was probably more like 4 or 5 total and they were all pretty solid.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 1:00 AM, ChiTownDoc said:

Bavettes.  Easy.  

On 6/1/2019 at 11:31 AM, Francisco 2.0 said:

Going in late July.  I'll report my findings.  

Hi all.  Reporting back.  Bavettes is absolutely bitchin'.  

I've eaten at Prime, Cut, SW, Gordon Ramsey's place at Paris, BLT, Charlie Palmer, etc.  Bavettes is an automatic return visit.  The crab cake appetizer was outstanding (probably larger than a 1/2 lb hamburger patty):

bavette-s-bar-and-boeuf.jpg

I had the 42 day dry aged bone in ribeye.  Well worth it.

o.jpg

note:  not my pictures

We were asked when we were seated if we had show tickets for later or something planned so they could pace the meal appropriately.  Sure enough, it was 3 hours from seating to getting up to leave.  The ambiance of the place is wonderful.  Highly recommended.

As for the rest of the trip, typical. Had front row seats for Absinthe (yep, got picked on). People watching is always fun.  Spotted a mid 20's man in a motorized wheel chair in Bellagio around midnight, and he had some kind of medical condition.  Nothing wrong with that...but....

...his urine bag was strapped to his right shin.  He was wearing shorts.  The bag was half full.  

Lot more "service" animals in the various properties now.  

Saw a near brawl the Friday before the Manny Pacquiao fight in MGM.  Was sitting in Lobby Bar and two groups were about to throw down.  Security just descended out of nowhere.  

Missus and myself have always rotated Vegas properties to stay at, but for some reason, have never really thought of Wynn or Encore.  After this trip, wife wants to try one of these two next time.  

• Like 1

Saw a near brawl the Friday before the Manny Pacquiao fight in MGM.  Was sitting in Lobby Bar and two groups were about to throw down.  Security just descended out of nowhere.  

Well yeah, after the whole Tupac thing on fight night at MGM which happened pretty much right off the lobby by the elevators, security should be elevated on fight nights. It brings such a different feel out there during fight weekends.

Good trip report.

On 7/23/2019 at 8:54 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Dammit.  Where in the hell am I supposed to see tits when I'm in Vegas?

Spent time at the Wynn and Encore adult pools a few weeks ago. Agree with Landomatic - there were about 4-5 women on average who were topless but I would say they were all good quality. Also, if you're an ass guy, the thong scene is unreal these days. That suits me because Mrs. WT was built for thong bikinis.

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

Just wait till Raiders games start.

1 hour ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Oh yeah. MGM said they will be hosting a massive tailgating experience at Mandalay Bay on game days. The bridge crossing over the highway to the stadium will be closed to just pedestrians on game day. It’ll be extra nuts.

If there ever was a town built to cater to both the fans of a visiting team and the home team, it's Vegas.  It's not so much what the NFL will bring to Vegas in terms of cachet; it's what the town will offer to the NFL.  The 8 home games played there will be absolutely packed on game weekends, even with people who have no chance in hell of getting a game ticket.  It's an automatic destination for fans of visiting teams,  because A) easy access to the town from anywhere in the world, B) plentiful hotel rooms [God knows what the rates will be on home game weekends] and C) plenty of food, drink, pussy, dope, music, gambling, whatever to go along with the game.  

6 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

It will largely be the same fans.  Count on a lot of thuggery 

Oh I can only imagine.  As if each of the elements doesn’t already have its own level of dipshittery on its own.  Let’s combine them...what could possibly go wrong.

Raider fans + Vegas douchebags + NFL game + Las Vegas + drugs, alcohol and god knows what else = probably not a good fan experience 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

My Vegas local friend says the town is being swarmed with grasshoppers. Saw a video of the people empty sidewalks that were covered with bazillions of the critters. The reporter said they will migrate on in a “few weeks”.

Edited by Armybrat

19 hours ago, Armybrat said:

My Vegas local friend says the town is being swarmed with grasshoppers. Saw a video of the people empty sidewalks that were covered with bazillions of the critters. The reporter said they will migrate on in a “few weeks”.

Mandalay is where the wife and I stay every summer mostly due to the pool.  And they keep comping us nights at Delano.   After the NFL starts up that place is going to blow up.  We are going in January and staying at Aria.  There is no way you could get me out there during an NFL weekend with the team playing a home game.  It will be insane.

On 7/11/2019 at 1:24 PM, TXSooner518 said:

On 7/11/2019 at 1:37 PM, Angry Gorilla said:

4) The menu didn't include mozzarella sticks or potato skins.

On 7/12/2019 at 12:26 PM, Chewbacca said:

Sorry to be late on the Momofuku stuff, but just wanted to offer up that I went to Momofuku a year ago at the Cosmo. My wife and I were excited about it. It sucked. It was the worst meal of the entire trip. Further, it was the worst meal I've had in Vegas in years. Overpriced shit. My only preconceived notion was that I'd heard many good things. I've been to bad ass restaurants all over the world, so my resume matches y'all's. You jumped the fuck out of that other guy for having a dissenting opinion, which limits the value of threads like this. 

If you want to fucking rave about and defend a place in Vegas that also has a footprint in New York, die on the hill that is Le Cirque. Bawling all over whines about Momofuku tells me it is one of:

1) You haven't been in a while.

2) You don't know what in the fuck you're doing at a restaurant.

3) You got lucky in your visit or I got unlucky in mine. 

It's probably #3, but it's still a data point when someone offers up their thoughts about a place that many consider visiting when they're passing through Vegas. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

want to fucking rave about and defend a place in Vegas that also has a footprint in New York, die on the hill that is Le Cirque. Bawling all over whines about Momofuku tells me it is one of:

1) You haven't been in a while.

2) You don't know what in the fuck you're doing at a restaurant.

3) You got lucky in your visit or I got unlucky in mine. 

It's probably #3, but it's still a data point when someone offers up their thoughts about a place that many consider visiting when they're passing through Vegas. 

I ate there a little over a month ago.  Dinner was so good we went back for lunch the next day.  Lunch was really good, too, but not quite as good as dinner (different menus).

I have no qualms with you saying you didn't care for the meal you had there.  Because you didn't go on an on like a pretentious douche about it.