2017-2018 PGA Tour

bigup2dahorns

Spieth will be in violation of the PGA Tour policy on minimum tournament requirement, if he doesn't qualify for the Tour Championship.
It will be interesting to see what the repercussions are; considering he is serving as the Chairman of the Player Advisory Council.
Maybe pops wont have to worry about seeing as much of the best shitty golfer in the world ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/jordan-spieth-in-jeopardy-of-missing-tour-championship-violating-tour-policy-on-minimum-starts

20 hours ago, pops said:

Spieth is the best shitty golfer in the world. I dig the kid, but you wouldn't teach his swing to anyone, hits it nowhere, he makes terrible contact, but might be the best long putter in the history of the game.

Seriously... He is an enigma. And it's awesome. 

Had an odd season.  He never seemed to really recover from the 6-ish weeks off (and weight loss, etc.)  he had in Nov/Dec due to mono.

20 hours ago, pops said:

Spieth is the best shitty golfer in the world. I dig the kid, but you wouldn't teach his swing to anyone, hits it nowhere, he makes terrible contact, but might be the best long putter in the history of the game.

Seriously... He is an enigma. And it's awesome. 

19 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Unbelievable putting is what has made his career. Without it, he’s pretty average.

19 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

The entirety of his short game separated him. He’s a fantastic wedge and bunker player. I think he’s an above average iron player.

He’s horrific off the tee. 

Some of these takes are head-scratchers, with my only issue with Revolution512's take being that Spieth is decent off the tee.  Not great, but much better than horrific.  That would be Phil.

Spieth was the 2nd best player in golf tee-to-green last season.  You know, everything not related to putting.  As bad as his iron play has been recently, he's still 22nd tee-to-green this season.  He's never gonna be a bomber like DJ or Rory, but he's also not been consistently wayward like Phil or Tiger.  He's historically pretty decent off the tee and has waffled between a pretty good and exceptional iron player.   Spieth has shown he can excel in all areas of his game.  His problem is putting it all together, which is no different than any other elite guy on tour.  This season it's been mostly his putting and more than that, his mental game, that has been garbage.

Putting is the biggest variable from tournament to tournament.  That's why the guys who win each weekend are the guys who have a hot putter.  But the guys who consistently do well from tee-to-green are the guys who are on the leaderboard week in and week out.  It's just nonsensical to think that Jordan has accomplished what he has in his career up to this point on putting alone. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Horn21 said:

Some of these takes are head-scratchers, with my only issue with Revolution512's take being that Spieth is decent off the tee.  Not great, but much better than horrific.  That would be Phil.

Spieth was the 2nd best player in golf tee-to-green last season.  You know, everything not related to putting.  As bad as his iron play has been recently, he's still 22nd tee-to-green this season.  He's never gonna be a bomber like DJ or Rory, but he's also not been consistently wayward like Phil or Tiger.  He's historically pretty decent off the tee and has waffled between a pretty good and exceptional iron player.   Spieth has shown he can excel in all areas of his game.  His problem is putting it all together, which is no different than any other elite guy on tour.  This season it's been mostly his putting and more than that, his mental game, that has been garbage.

Putting is the biggest variable from tournament to tournament.  That's why the guys who win each weekend are the guys who have a hot putter.  But the guys who consistently do well from tee-to-green are the guys who are on the leaderboard week in and week out.  It's just nonsensical to think that Jordan has accomplished what he has in his career up to this point on putting alone. 

I personally think Jordan needs to play more.

He takes too much time off during the season....oh and would it kill him to have UA give him some Texas orange shirts to wear occasionally?

1 hour ago, Horn21 said:

I may understand golf stats less than anyone in the world but I have to think Spieth's scrambling makes that tee to green stat look a lot better than it is, dude has no clue where his drives are going and it fucks with his head. Hell, try reaching back for a little extra off the tee with a crooked left arm, there's no way in hell to be consistent doing that. In my 50 years of watching golf on tv I can only remember one guy that did this and that's Calvin Peete, but he couldn't straighten his left arm and he didn't have to play these long ass courses of today. just my opinion 

51 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

I may understand golf stats less than anyone in the world but I have to think Spieth's scrambling makes that tee to green stat look a lot better than it is, dude has no clue where his drives are going and it fucks with his head. Hell, try reaching back for a little extra off the tee with a crooked left arm, there's no way in hell to be consistent doing that. In my 50 years of watching golf on tv I can only remember one guy that did this and that's Calvin Peete, but he couldn't straighten his left arm and he didn't have to play these long ass courses of today. just my opinion 

His bent left arm and extremely weak left hand is why he is one of the best ball strikers in the game of golf.  There's virtually no flip through impact.  

42 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

I may understand golf stats less than anyone in the world but I have to think Spieth's scrambling makes that tee to green stat look a lot better than it is, dude has no clue where his drives are going and it fucks with his head. 

Of the 12 Americans on the Ryder Cup...Webb, Bryson, and Rickie are the only 3 guys who hit more fairways than Jordan.  That's just a fact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

He's not that bad with his driver.  He's not great, but he's not bad.  His putting is a complete joke right now and Mono kicked the shit out of him this year.

Horrific may be a tad harsh haha but he doesn’t have a go-to shot off the tee and to me that’s his issue. He hits it far enough.

And he’s ranked 98th. Might be a problem in foursomes in Ryder Cup

It could be. Euro Team is definitely setting up the course to take away the bomb/gouge advantage as much as possible.

Although, look at the fairways hit leaders. It’s Stenson and then WTF cares.

I agree with whoever said Jordan needs to play more. We’ve seen what he’s capable of when it’s clicking for him. Whether it’s personal stuff, adjusting to stardom, being sick...whatever. It’s not his swing that’s the issue.

20 minutes ago, Horn21 said:

It could be. Euro Team is definitely setting up the course to take away the bomb/gouge advantage as much as possible.

I agree with whoever said Jordan needs to play more. We’ve seen what he’s capable of when it’s clicking for him. Whether it’s personal stuff, adjusting to stardom, being sick...whatever. It’s not his swing that’s the issue.

Again:  he started the year coming off mono, had lost weight, and was unable to use December to fine tune for the year (actually, from what I read, he was basically unable to do anything golf-wise for a few weeks).  He was off from the start and never was able to right the ship.

1 hour ago, Horn21 said:

To clarify, I think Jordan is accurate enough in spite of his swing.  And that isn't even the right way to put it. He just kind of hits everything funky, but he makes it work.  Didn't even know he got mono last year. Gets a pass this year. That shit is brutal. 

Still, golf is better when he's at the top of a leaderboard. 

But Calvin Pete, with his crooked left arm, was one of the straightest drivers in history

On 9/9/2018 at 7:52 PM, TonyTexas said:

Unbelievable putting is what has made his career. Without it, he’s pretty average.

Going back to this, I don't think people realize (or they forget) how great of an iron player Jordan has been for most of the last 2 seasons.  It was a hole in his game during a good chunk of '14-'16 when he was lights out with his putter, and he's improved significantly.  It's a shame, because if he was even decent with the flatstick this season, his game would have been scary good.  It will be interesting to see what 2019 Spieth looks like because if he is able to get back to how he was putting 2 years ago, he could win a lot of tournaments with the improvement in his ball-striking.

To the point that it's the tee-to-green guys whose names dominate the leaderboard...

In 2018, the top 10 TtG players won 16 tournaments and were in the top-10 73 times.  The top-10 putters on tour won 4 tournaments and were in the top-10 32 times (with Day, Phil, and Simpson winning all 4 of those tournaments and taking 19/32 top-10s).   The guys who consistently hit the ball well win a lot of tournaments when they are dropping putts.  That's been Justin Rose as of late.  Now that he started to putt this season, his name is at the top of the leaderboard every week.

If putting was the only part of Jordan's game, he'd be talked about with the likes of Greg Chalmers or Daniel Summerhays, not a 3x major winner and 11 wins on tour before age 25.

17 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Someone want to try to explain the new rules for the playoffs next year? On the scroll bar on Espn it could be summed up as a premature headache. 

https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/2017/rules-modernization/Summary Chart - The Major Proposed Changes in the New Rules of Golf for 2019 (11.8.17 update).pdf

What if I told you not all playing fields were level? What if I told you that golf, the ultimate meritocracy, was no longer being played equivalently at all? 

That's what's going to happen at the 2019 Tour Championship when players will start with staggered scores with the leader of the FedEx Cup coming into the tournament beginning the event at 10 under. Here is how players will start.

• First in FedEx Cup coming to Tour Championship: -10
  • Second: -8
  • Third: -7
  • Fourth: -6
  • Fifth: -5
  • 6th-10th: -4
  • 11th-15th: -3
  • 16th-20th: -2
  • 21st-25th: -1
  • 26th-30th: E

That's not the only change that was announced on Tuesday, either. The playoffs will be reduced from four events to three (which we knew), and the field will be cut from 125 to 70 to 30. It previously went from 125 to 100 to 70 to 30. 

Unusual for sure. I can’t think of a parallel in other sports other than, maybe, pole position?

It’s weird, but I don’t totally hate it. It brings some consistency into the final round with the fed ex standings and makes it much clearer where everyone stands and their potential to win the cup.

21 hours ago, Lurch said:

Unusual for sure. I can’t think of a parallel in other sports other than, maybe, pole position?

It’s weird, but I don’t totally hate it. It brings some consistency into the final round with the fed ex standings and makes it much clearer where everyone stands and their potential to win the cup.

It is similar, somewhat, to NASCAR (although I don't really follow it) where only certain guys in the last race(s?) can win the Cup but all the drivers can win the race.

So using this years standings, and Tiger as an example. He is sitting at No. 20 so he starts at -2.
He could shoot the best 4 rounds for the week by say 5 strokes, which would be considered a run away victory; but with the new "scoring" he could tie for fifth if No 1-5 were no more than 5 shots behind.
I wonder how the OWGR will treat the 2019 for points purposes.
This whole change seems like a solution to something that isn't that big of a problem, just like the prior playoff events where they keep a running discussion on who is in & out of the next event, the Tour Championship has always updated on where the season championship race stands throughout the event. Seems to me the only person who is being slighted is the winner of the event if he isn't the season championship winner. I can't fell too bad for him with that winners check and however far he moves up in the FedEx payoff schedule.

spoilerd, in recognition of anti-longcat posting etiquette

I think this is last years, but it shows the bonus pool for the top 30

FedEx Cup Top 30 Payout

1st — $10 million
2nd — $3 million
3rd — $2 million
4th — $1.5 million
5th — $1 million
6th — $800,000
7th — $700,000
8th — $600,000
9th — $550,000
10th — $500,000
11th — $300,000
12th — $290,000
13th — $280,000
14th — $270,000
15th — $250,000
16th — $245,000
17th — $240,000
18th — $235,000
19th — $230,000
20th — $225,000
21st — $220,000
22nd — $215,000
23rd — $210,000
24th — $205,000
25th — $200,000
26th — $195,000
27th — $190,000
28th — $185,000
29th — $180,000
30th — $175,000

I assumed the changes to the championship were to make it easier to understand what needs to happen for a player to win. Right now a guy starting in last in points can’t just win the tournament to win the championship. He needs other players at the top to play poorly to win. The new format moves the points to the score of the last tournament so that it’s obvious when watching where everyone stands rather than projecting final points standings mid tournament. It makes it impossible to win the tour championship without winning the final tournament. 

Edited by heso

I’m not sure why they felt like it was that much of a problem. I can’t imagine it was causing people to tune out on Sunday of the championship. And I can’t imagine the change will cause anyone that wouldn’t have watched to tune in. 

Edit: so basically exactly what lurch and Wally said upthread if I would have read before posting. 

Edited by heso