Dial 459-2222, get a bankruptcy petition, delivered to you...

Brisketexan

11 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

the buffet was a highlight as a kid.  still go once a year for the nostalgia.  and the ranch.

Used to park at the MLK location during finals.  Would buy the lunch buffet.  Would eat, then sit at a table drinking iced tea and studying for hours.  Then at dinner time, grab my plate and hit the buffet again.  Ate all day for like $5.

Fuck, I helped drive these guys to bankruptcy.  My bad.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Used to park at the MLK location during finals.  Would buy the lunch buffet.  Would eat, then sit at a table drinking iced tea and studying for hours.  Then at dinner time, grab my plate and hit the buffet again.  Ate all day for like $5.

Fuck, I helped drive these guys to bankruptcy.  My bad.

I did the same.  Pretty sure about 20,000 students per year did this on a regular basis,.so don't blame yourself.

Being in high school in Austin in the 80s, it was THE pizza for all parties, get-togethers, happenings, goings-on, and general events.  And since we had off-campus lunch at Anderson High, it was pretty common to hit the Far West or Anderson location at lunchtime, too.

It's still my kids' favorite delivery option but the stores are getting fewer and further between.  

Edited by utee94

Former employee @ the Lake Travis location summer of '93. There was a goat ranch next door. Every night around 9pm when the buffet got shut down we would walk out the back door with loads of cold, stale pizza and be greeted by a herd of ~25 slobbering bug-eyed goats, ready for the pizza party.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, smuggs said:

Former employee @ the Lake Travis location summer of '93. There was a goat ranch next door. Every night around 9pm when the buffet got shut down we would walk out the back door with loads of cold, stale pizza and be greeted by a herd of ~25 slobbering bug-eyed goats, ready for the pizza party.

that sounds like the best job in the whole world.  

• Like 1

Just now, futureman said:

no, hanging out at the pizza shop all day smoking dope and then feeding the leftovers to a bunch of hungry goats.  I could do that every day for 60 years and retire. 

I could indeed think of many worse jobs.

But still....pizza-eating goat sounds like a decent gig.

• Like 1

I remember when they came out with that delivery number (459-2222) in '83 or '84. Me & my roommate in Jester East had the phone number 495-2222, so we'd get calls from idoits trying to order pizzas day and night, even like 3am. That shit got old real got-damn quick. After a while we gave up on telling em they had the wrong number & just started taking their orders & telling 'em the pizzas would be there in 30 minutes. Fucking drunk morons.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, wood said:

I remember when they came out with that delivery number (459-2222) in '83 or '84. Me & my roommate in Jester East had the phone number 495-2222, so we'd get calls from idoits trying to order pizzas day and night, even like 3am. That shit got old real got-damn quick. After a while we gave up on telling em they had the wrong number & just started taking their orders & telling 'em the pizzas would be there in 30 minutes. Fucking drunk morons.

if this isn’t bullshit that’s pretty fuckin great

1 hour ago, wood said:

My roommate in college had the same name as a fairly prominent, Uber conservative state senator (this was back in the days when phone books were still a thing).  We would get a few calls wanting his opinion on this or that.  We had some fun with it.  I had a quote printed in the Statesman.

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

My roommate in college had the same name as a fairly prominent, Uber conservative state senator (this was back in the days when phone books were still a thing).  We would get a few calls wanting his opinion on this or that.  We had some fun with it.  I had a quote printed in the Statesman.

wood’s story may have been true.  this is bullshit though.  nobody got quoted in the paper. 

2 hours ago, wood said:

Image result for kramer filk

• Hook 'Em 1

I worked at the call center in high school in the 80’s. “Thanks for calling Mr. Gatti’s, can I take your order?”

Usually by 8pm I’d start getting calls from drunk people going “yeah I need a taxi.” Yellow cab in Austin had the phone number 452-9999...but because that jingle had burned that phone number in most of Austin’s head back then they ended up calling Gatti’s.

Good times. Always had plenty of large Samplers around and cinnamon sticks in the break room.