2018 Formula One thread

Prepuce of Doom

Mercedes earned a double podium with the correct call on Hamilton's tires and not freaking out at a few raindrops and putting on intermediates or anything.

They were lucky to get the win with Vettel's mistake, but they made the right calls.

Yup. Hamilton still had to make the softs last 40+ laps while having to come through the field. That first stint was fantastic. I almost thought they were screwed when the rain came, but it was perfect, as he was making up 2 seconds a lap on everyone else.

They did allow Bottas to try and overtake, but once that little scrap was over with and he couldn’t, then they called it. Not my favorite thing either, but they did give VB a chance at least.

I have no idea what any of that means.

Anyway, RIC not having much luck this year.  Things will be better next year when he's wearing Red. ;)

Small but horrible mistake for Seb, LeClerc bringing the lulz, and Hamilton with a really nice drive.  Not the best race ever but it was nice to see them back in Germany.

any tips for first time F1 visitor?  i will only go on saturday + sunday.  no friday practices.  

we're casual fans, not hardcore nutters.  is there anything that is cannot-miss?  how much access do typical general admissions get - are you walled off behind everything or how close to the cars, garages, drivers, etc can you get

On 7/25/2018 at 7:06 AM, 52-80 said:

any tips for first time F1 visitor?  i will only go on saturday + sunday.  no friday practices.  

we're casual fans, not hardcore nutters.  is there anything that is cannot-miss?  how much access do typical general admissions get - are you walled off behind everything or how close to the cars, garages, drivers, etc can you get

I'm assuming this question is about the USGP at COTA?  Or, are you currently in Hungary and looking for some tips for this weekend?  :)

First, I highly recommend going on Friday.  It's actually my favorite day of the weekend. Much less crowded, easier to get around, and also if it's your first time going, it's the best day to get the lay of the land without needing to rush anywhere.

There are some good viewing areas from GA.  Lots of folks camp out on the hillside at Turn 1.  The hillsides around the esses are pretty good too, although you're not going to see a lot of passing there.  But it's cool to watch the cars carve through those corners at speed.  

GA will  not give you access to any of the grandstands, but on Friday at least, the ticket checkers in the grandstands aren't quite as diligent and you could probably sneak your way in. GA tickets will also not give you access to some of the hospitality areas, like the tent at Turn12 and the Velocity Lounge in the main grandstands.  But there are many food and beverage vendor booths around the track and you don't really need access to the hospitality areas. 

You won't be close to the cars and drivers, unfortunately.  The pits are located opposite the main grandstands, and they do check tickets there, for the most part.  I have PSL tickets so I can enter the main grands to go to the Lounge, and we typically then wahoo our way into the seats for P1 or P2 on Friday, when the stands are so empty nobody would notice.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

I'm assuming this question is about the USGP at COTA?  Or, are you currently in Hungary and looking for some tips for this weekend?  :)

First, I highly recommend going on Friday.  It's actually my favorite day of the weekend. Much less crowded, easier to get around, and also if it's your first time going, it's the best day to get the lay of the land without needing to rush anywhere.

There are some good viewing areas from GA.  Lots of folks camp out on the hillside at Turn 1.  The hillsides around the esses are pretty good too, although you're not going to see a lot of passing there.  But it's cool to watch the cars carve through those corners at speed.  

GA will  not give you access to any of the grandstands, but on Friday at least, the ticket checkers in the grandstands aren't quite as diligent and you could probably sneak your way in. GA tickets will also not give you access to some of the hospitality areas, like the tent at Turn12 and the Velocity Lounge in the main grandstands. 

You won't be close to the cars and drivers, unfortunately.  The pits are located opposite the main grandstands, and they do check tickets there, for the most part.  I have PSL tickets so I can enter the main grands to go to the Lounge, and we typically then wahoo our way into the seats for P1 or P2 on Friday, when the stands are so empty nobody would notice.

I need to correct myself - our tickets are for "grandstand" (seated, shaded, and numbered) rather than the "general admission".  

its for this weekend but i imagine the security protocol and level of access is similar at all races?

for sure we dont have the paddock club or VIP package, so no touching susie wolff on the heinie.  will grandstand give access to whatever the hospitality area is?  maybe some peak at how the garages operate or the motorhomes, etc.  or is it really just straight to the assigned seat and watch the cars go around the track.  

got there in time for qualifying.  rain started exactly at quali, and ended exactly after quali.  

we were sat at the last turn.

didn't bring my camera setup because I didn't expect a good view.  dumb move - the rain and dim sky would've made for some dramatic shots.

* really enveloping first experience hearing simultaneously the cars in the front, clapping thunder behind, and helicopter noise circling around us

* if these motors don't sound as musical as the v12/10/8, atleast they are still LOUD.  massive different when they go from part throttle to full throttle at the end of the turn - it BARKS.

* food and drinks surprisingly cheap - about 3 bux for beers.  4 bux for popcorn.  I was expecting extortionate prices.

* impossible to actually "follow" the race in person.  PA announcement cycled between English, Hungarian, and German.   A top-down graphic with live tracking of cars would help immensely.  Race audio was ultra clear though.

* track is equidistant from Italy and Germany, but the crowd is unquestionably Ferrari.  2nd in line is Redbull.  Mercedes/Hamilton got booed anytime they were mentioned.

IMG_20180728_144133.jpg
IMG_20180728_144427.jpg
IMG_20180728_150256.jpg
IMG_20180728_151627.jpg
IMG_20180728_152536.jpg
IMG_20180728_152921.jpg

• Like 3

yeah that was pretty bad.

There's always a few comments you know Crofty has written ahead of time and just trying to find a place to throw it in. He always sounds so pleased with himself when he says it, and then the other guys usually just ignore it.

On 7/22/2018 at 8:28 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

I realize that Hamilton is a great driver but when you watch these guys go through the field so easily it just highlights how much better the car is than the rest of the field.

Indeed. The disparity between the top 3 and everyone else is just massive.

On 7/25/2018 at 7:06 AM, 52-80 said:

Depends on what race you're going to. If COTA, you aren't getting close to the current F1 cars with GA.

On 7/26/2018 at 10:43 AM, utee94 said:

GA will  not give you access to any of the grandstands, but on Friday at least, the ticket checkers in the grandstands aren't quite as diligent and you could probably sneak your way in. GA tickets will also not give you access to some of the hospitality areas, like the tent at Turn12 and the Velocity Lounge in the main grandstands.  But there are many food and beverage vendor booths around the track and you don't really need access to the hospitality areas. 

Yep. Friday is great & Sunday is actually getting lower and lower on my list of priorities when it comes to actually being at the track, at least at COTA.

And yes, the whole east side of the track, T2 - 11, is under-attended and underappreciated imho. Watching F1 cars change directions through the esses in person is pretty mind-blowing.

On 7/26/2018 at 10:50 AM, 52-80 said:

I need to correct myself - our tickets are for "grandstand" (seated, shaded, and numbered) rather than the "general admission".  

its for this weekend but i imagine the security protocol and level of access is similar at all races?

for sure we dont have the paddock club or VIP package, so no touching susie wolff on the heinie.  will grandstand give access to whatever the hospitality area is?  maybe some peak at how the garages operate or the motorhomes, etc.  or is it really just straight to the assigned seat and watch the cars go around the track.  

Ah, ok. So you're in Budapest? Never been there, so I dunno how close you can get. But it does vary greatly from circuit to circuit. For example you can get MUCH closer to the action in Montreal than you can at COTA. The fans are farther from the cars at COTA than just about anywhere else afaik.

Don't let your seating arrangement deter you from walking around and checking out other viewing areas though. 

Edited by wood

15 hours ago, 52-80 said:

got there in time for qualifying.  rain started exactly at quali, and ended exactly after quali.  

we were sat at the last turn.

didn't bring my camera setup because I didn't expect a good view.  dumb move - the rain and dim sky would've made for some dramatic shots.

* really enveloping first experience hearing simultaneously the cars in the front, clapping thunder behind, and helicopter noise circling around us

* if these motors don't sound as musical as the v12/10/8, atleast they are still LOUD.  massive different when they go from part throttle to full throttle at the end of the turn - it BARKS.

* food and drinks surprisingly cheap - about 3 bux for beers.  4 bux for popcorn.  I was expecting extortionate prices.

* impossible to actually "follow" the race in person.  PA announcement cycled between English, Hungarian, and German.   A top-down graphic with live tracking of cars would help immensely.  Race audio was ultra clear though.

* track is equidistant from Italy and Germany, but the crowd is unquestionably Ferrari.  2nd in line is Redbull.  Mercedes/Hamilton got booed anytime they were mentioned.

IMG_20180728_144133.jpg
IMG_20180728_144427.jpg
IMG_20180728_150256.jpg
IMG_20180728_151627.jpg
IMG_20180728_152536.jpg
IMG_20180728_152921.jpg

They're loud, but not nearly as loud as previous engines or even most other series.

On 7/27/2018 at 12:52 PM, tokamak said:

I don't follow F1, but 538 has an interesting article today on Fernando Alonso. Spoiler alert: he's good.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-best-formula-one-driver-might-be-a-guy-who-hasnt-won-since-2013/

Outqualified Vandoorne 17 straight times now. Completely ridiculous. Dude seems just as fiery and motivated as ever imho. I don't see him leaving F1 with new aero rules next year, and so close a new formula.

Sorry for the string of posts, y'all. Went to Mexico and couldn't see last week's action, so I avoided all the news and I've spent the last few days catching up. Finally got completely caught up just a few minutes ago. Ferrari & Vettel blowing it. Sergio would not be pleased.

1 hour ago, wood said:

They're loud, but not nearly as loud as previous engines or even most other series.

Never heard in person before.  On TV there's only the whirring sound of the engine and transmission, like a blender.  It totally masks the induction noise that comes alive on the throttle.

Also....so many topless bellies here.  It's like a music festival for middle aged men.

• Like 2

The fan dynamic is pretty funny. My German family roots for Vettel over Mercedes. It was the same with Michael Schumacher when he went to Ferrari. I also root for Vettel over Mercedes, i.e. Hamilton.

Now, if Vettel were to drive for Mercedes then you would have some serious German fan participation. 

8 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

The fan dynamic is pretty funny. My German family roots for Vettel over Mercedes. It was the same with Michael Schumacher when he went to Ferrari. I also root for Vettel over Mercedes, i.e. Hamilton.

Now, if Vettel were to drive for Mercedes then you would have some serious German fan participation. 

Nobody seems to care for Mercedes the team.  Germans are the #1 visitors here (based on cars in the road and parking.

Announcers are calling out different allegiances...they boo germany, they boo mercedes, they boo Hamilton, but plenty of love for vettel

Kimi is the runway favorite though

Just now, 52-80 said:

Nobody seems to care for Mercedes the team.  Germans are the #1 visitors here (based on cars in the road and parking.

Announcers are calling out different allegiances...they boo germany, they boo mercedes, they boo Hamilton, but plenty of love for vettel

Kimi is the runway favorite though

That's funny! As we all know Germans have a suspect reputation in many parts of Europe.

Have fun!