2018 Formula One thread

Prepuce of Doom

So it's Saturday evening and the the sky unexpectedly turned blue.  The Longhorns aren't playing, so I was looking for something to do. I thought hey that F1 Fan Fest from a couple years ago was a lot of fun maybe I'll go downtown Austin tonight and check it out.  Glad I Googled it. The damn Fan Fest is in Miami tonight.  

Really? 

9 hours ago, Halohal said:

"Watching live on F1 helicopter". Dude gives good analysis but caking the track condition and attendance. Also gave shot out to ding dong TX, the devils backbone, and the hot sauce store in Austin... 

What did he say? Seems like there a lot of cracks developing in the track now. 

4 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

So it's Saturday evening and the the sky unexpectedly turned blue.  The Longhorns aren't playing, so I was looking for something to do. I thought hey that F1 Fan Fest from a couple years ago was a lot of fun maybe I'll go downtown Austin tonight and check it out.  Glad I Googled it. The damn Fan Fest is in Miami tonight.  

Really? 

We coulda had one. Ours was put on by the track, not F1. It kept shrinking until they finally axed it.

10 minutes ago, wood said:

What did he say? Seems like there a lot of cracks developing in the track now. 

It started off by saying every car sparks were flying off. Camera angles zoomed in on sparks (slow mo) but then pointed out that it was happening at the same spots on the track. Same issue was brought up back when moto gp was here...

45 minutes ago, Halohal said:

It started off by saying every car sparks were flying off. Camera angles zoomed in on sparks (slow mo) but then pointed out that it was happening at the same spots on the track. Same issue was brought up back when moto gp was here...

Yeah this problem has been around for 3 or 4 years already, but it's getting worse all the time. It's ... not good, and getting worse. And the crack they were showing in FP1 near T5 are pretty bad. Since I saw that I've been looking closer at the track. There are a lot of cracks, but the ones they showed on tv were the worst.

Edited by wood

Reading comments on COTA's facebook posts, it looks like they still have the same operations issues as always. Parking lot operators are beyond useless, the "upgrade" for the concert was something different than sold, etc.

Its amazing to me how poorly run they do things. Ah well, leaving in a couple of hours to catch F3 and F4.

once again, even with all of COTA's management mistakes, the bumps in the road (literally and figuratively), the many instances of amateur hour regarding fan experience, etc....

when it comes to the actual race and the actual track, it's been great fun and a good race every time. 

• Like 1

Beautiful day for a race, great temp, no rain, can't beat it.

F4 was exciting.

My mute red car driver won.

Total cost, $10 tip for bartender. I call it a win. 

Oh and pro tip, always go against the traffic. There was No one heading towards Elroy, I really never hit the brake till 21. Towards 130... that was a cluster fuck and a half, some of those people are probably still sitting there.

2 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

That was an awesome race. Max from 18 to second and holding off Lewis. Bummed Lewis couldn’t wrap it up in Austin. Great weekend over all and looking forward to next year.

Yeah awesome race. Still haven't gotten to sit down and watch it properly, but yeah Max was outstanding. Starting 18th and not only finishing P2, but beating a polesitting Lewis in a Merc in the process. Pretty amazing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

They are exchanging parking tickets for bus passes this morning. Parking will be a shit show today.

11 hours ago, relapse98 said:

I got into K about 8:50, they parked us on the roads, not the parking spots. It was just about full then and glad I got here early and watched some F3.

11 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Same. We got into lot T about 9:00 and no one was on the grass. There will be some angry folks out here. Velocity lounge is pretty empty, where last year it was packed at this point.

Enjoy the race!

What was the deal? Today shoulda been the best of all 3 days in the lots re: mud. It was certainly the best day at the track.