One Day in Florence

AustinMT

Heading to France and Italy in a couple of months.  The Italy portion has been condensed because we are spending more time in France, so we booked a nice hotel in Rome and will do a couple of day trips (we will have 5 full days in Rome).  One of those will be Florence.  Will take an early train, so we'll have a full day.  What are the 2-3 "can't miss" things to see or do in Florence? Also, any recommendations for lunch and dinner?

Thanks

26 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Well, David is there so I'd start with that.  The Ponte Vecchio at night can be gorgeous.  There's a lot to Florence so one day really isn't much time.  If you're into art you'll be overwhelmed by it.

Thanks.  Yeah, not trying to see everything -- we are just try get a feel for it for another trip

single day trip: boboli gardens, piazza della signoria/loggia de lanzi, walk to the top of brunelleschi's dome for the view, the medici chapels in the church of san lorenzo where michelangelo's tombs of lorenzo and giuliano d'medici which are incredible.  that's about 2/3rds of a day.  spend the rest just walking around the centro and across the arno.  vabuckeye is correct that trattoria sostanza is very good and a lot of fun.  vivoli for gelato a must.

have fun.

1 hour ago, Telegraph_it said:

Is it possible to switch that and do five nights in Florence with a day trip to Rome? I left Rome underwhelmed. Florence, on the other hand, was excellent. Easily walkable and packed full of things to see and do along with great food. 

I was in Rome and Florence in September and agree with the above completely.  2 days would have been plenty in Rome, and would have liked to have 5 days in (and around) Florence. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Why do you need 5 full days in Rome?

You need like, 2 or 3.  Spend the rest in Florence.

Wife just corrected me (as usual).  4 full days in Rome, one of which will be going to Florence and the other to Amalfi coast (with a stop at Pompeii)

Ya, at least stay a night or two if you can in Florence...we had a great time there. Rome was nice but didn’t have the energy of Florence. Michelangelo’s stomping ground...when the Pope wasn’t hunting him down to paint.

Edited by Tailgate

Is it possible to switch that and do five nights in Florence with a day trip to Rome? I left Rome underwhelmed. Florence, on the other hand, was excellent. Easily walkable and packed full of things to see and do along with great food. 

I don’t think GoLL is on here as much as he used to be, but his head would explode if he read this.

Yeah, I don't get this. Spent 2 nights in Rome this summer, and it definitely was enough.

6 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

I love rome(to the haters)... I would say uffizi gallery but thats going to be a mist of day thing

Sidis probably gave you best option for one day

Uffizi is great. That's what I would do. The line for David was god damn ridiculous, so I blew it off completely and went to Uffizi. 

Maybe David is a must see but I don't go on vacation to stand in line with a bunch of dipshits all day. 

• Like 1

Uffizi is great. That's what I would do. The line for David was god damn ridiculous, so I blew it off completely and went to Uffizi. 
Maybe David is a must see but I don't go on vacation to stand in line with a bunch of dipshits all day. 
Yeah...my only caveat like mentioned is uffizi is a most of day experience and he is planning only one day...can beat the lines for david if your early...but yes uffizi is a treasure trove of art and i love it every time

2 hours ago, TornACL said:

eh, buy a skip the line pass and you can do David as a short tour.