Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’ve just skimmed the last 5 pages. We actually got a new commitment last night and you fucking dipshits turned the thread into a Stanford discussion. I’m about to walk into a 16 hour deal discussion about every petty point some lawyer decides to bring up. I am quite certain I’ll come out of that shit fest in a) better shape than goobers on this thread and b) a position to read this thread and then wish I was back in a room watching blowhard lawyers pontificate. As I said, I’m not the one with problems here. 

PQUHY3.gif

Just now, rickyspub said:

Which is the point of my second sentence. I assume we are going to grab a couple of no-name guys because taking a huge class next year is not going to be feasible. Feldman's article says this is the better path to success.

No, its does not say throwing offers at random guys everyone has passed on is better for college success. If that was your takeaway you need to read it again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

So PP might be good enough for TCU but not Tech Pigmeat Markham?  Gonna be interesting to see what gp does with him if he ends up a horny toad I guess....

well if he wnats to be QB they have some opportunities there i think?

26hyQo.png

I mean Collins is replacement-level...leaving Rogers (who after PP takes his RS will have 2 full years between them worst case)

Duggan committed in April and is just outside the Top 300 (301) and is the #10 dual threat guy

this is all assuming Fatterson lets him actually play QB - vs promise to let him play QB

44 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Where is the 'Baylor promised Hookfin he could play early' news coming from, again? I have a hard time believing A) an O-linemen is getting this sort of pitch and B) it's actually working.

This.

I'm not believing a coach would actually pitch this to a lineman. I'm also not believing a lineman would really want this, unless by "early" he means in 2 years...

If I'm a lineman I absolutely would be looking for near guarantee of a RS first year.

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

This.

I'm not believing a coach would actually pitch this to a lineman. I'm also not believing a lineman would really want this, unless by "early" he means in 2 years...

If I'm a lineman I absolutely would be looking for near guarantee of a RS first year.

You're naïve, then 

3 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

This.

They do. Every day. 

Any and every OL and DL should hope to be able to RS but some kids and their mentors are incredibly naive and/or stupid. Many believe that the path to the NFL is akin to the NBA and that playing early and often is the road to travel. 

Hookfin has talked about playing early despite clearly being 2-3 years away from contributing. 

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

So really now we think we are going to get Lewis today and then that’s about it, right? 

Now the effort turns to finding two linemen and one running back before Feb?

Yep. Thank god Myron Warren is signing early, at least. Now we don't have to waste resources babysitting Giles on the trail.

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

So really now we think we are going to get Lewis today and then that’s about it, right? 

Now the effort turns to finding two linemen and one running back before Feb?

I'm hoping to be surprised by Cain. Not holding out hope for the others. 

1-2 OL, Glass/another RB if we miss on Cain, any best player available types who aren't at positions that are already saturated in this class, and some grad transfers  

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

any best player available types who aren't at positions that are already saturated in this class, and some grad transfers  

I'd assume there will be 1 late-rising jumbo athlete added between ESD and NSD. Could be an OL/DL/LB/TE but I'd guess that there will be one of those added to the class that Texas has been working on that no one knows about. (Hookfin was clearly one of those guys to this staff, but there are surely others) 

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Last time I looked on ourlads at depth charts he wasn't even listed.

they moved him to RT i believe, wonder if he is transferring - played in 3 games this year (their first game of the year, then their last 2) - as far as i can tell hasn't ever been listed on their depth chart in the pre game notes even...

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

I'm hoping to be surprised by Cain. Not holding out hope for the others. 

1-2 OL, Glass/another RB if we miss on Cain, any best player available types who aren't at positions that are already saturated in this class, and some grad transfers  

We need 1 more OL, 1 RB if the right guy is out there, and we need to start saving ships for 2020. 

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I'd assume there will be 1 late-rising jumbo athlete added between ESD and NSD. Could be an OL/DL/LB/TE but I'd guess that there will be one of those added to the class that Texas has been working on that no one knows about. (Hookfin was clearly one of those guys to this staff, but there are surely others)  

Here's one who Jonathan Wells just posted. Played basketball, soccer, linebacker, and TE, before switching to OL this year

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6089215/5bd7a2cf5ca99e0d905eaee2

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

We've had CW and Kerstetter starting at tackle as true freshmen in the last 3 years, so maybe it's not the CRAZIEST idea an 18 year old has ever heard.

Both of whom were much more ready when they arrived. It's possible that Baylor has every intent of playing a 260 project at tackle next year if they are as short on bodies as we were that resulted in lots of freshmen playing OL. However, more likely Rhule wants to secure his signature and is saying whatever it takes to get it. 

• Like 1

This.

Absolutely not this, especially if you're a Baylor trying to steal a kid from a Texas.

Texas got on this kid first and probably sold him on what kids like Cosmi were able to do if they buy in and Baylor had to trump that somehow.

And obviously, you and me as adults understand that a redshirt year would be the right thing... way more than a kid whose recruiting has blown up in the past two months.

This has all been a part of recruiting since they've been recruiting.

All of that said, It pisses me off that we appear to be missing out on adding Hookfin to this class, I won't try and paint it in any other way. Next cycle will be super busy with OL. They're gunna need to hammer out multiple big guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

Here's one who Jonathan Wells just posted. Played basketball, soccer, linebacker, and TE, before switching to OL this year

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6089215/5bd7a2cf5ca99e0d905eaee2

247 has him listed as a TE - he isn't ranked.

https://247sports.com/player/lawal-oyedemi-46051218/

Has a Yale offer - guessing that qualifying wont be an issue.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

56 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

No, its does not say throwing offers at random guys everyone has passed on is better for college success. If that was your takeaway you need to read it again. 

And I am going to assume we have non-random guys we have kept in touch with just in case something falls through. I would shocked if Coker and Hookfin were the only guys we were keeping on the back burner with Shepard being one of our only two OL recruits. I am just not going to judge the quality of the guys we do take based on what the recruiting services say.