Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think it's vendetta against Herman. It could be any number of things, but I think at its core, Urb is pissed one of his former employees is challenging him. A lot of people think it started at the Satellite Camp hosted by Texas Southern last year, but I think it goes back to the Dobbins' recruitment. 

Does Urb and the tOSU staff work on Georgia and Florida recruits this hard? Hell no. They shut down Browning, Okudah, and Dobbins. No late cycle drama at all. They worked those guys hard, locked them up, and didn't let anybody else in. Not even Saban could pry those guys loose. That's a tremendous amount of leg work. 

Betting your program’s future on “butthurt” is a strong move.  I honestly think that has nothing to do with it.  Wilson is a take at every program in the country across the board.  This has more to do with Urb’s acting like a selfish child whose parents reminded him that not everything is his.  

Maybe we’re saying the same thing but scoping it differently.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom

11 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Betting your program’s future on “butthurt” is a strong move.  I honestly think that has nothing to do with it.  Wilson is a take at every program in the country across the board.  This has more to do with Urb’s acting like a selfish child whose parents reminded him that not everything is his.  

Maybe we’re saying the same thing but scoping it differently.

I'm not saying Urb is doing that. If a Florida recruit and Texas recruit are both on his board, he's tends to work the Texas kid harder. It could be because hates Herman, it could be because he thinks Texas is more vulnerable, it could be both. 

For a guy with deep, historic roots to Florida, and no ties to Texas, this is a curious move. 

I fully acknowledge Wilson is a special case because he grew up in Columbus and still has family there. But Dobbins, Browning, and Okudah had no previous ties to tOSU. 

Look at Urb's presser after Herman's "fairy dust" comment. Where in the f*** did that come from? 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm not saying Urb is doing that. If a Florida recruit and Texas recruit are both on his board, he's tends to work the Texas kid harder. It could be because hates Herman, it could be because he thinks Texas is more vulnerable, it could be both. 

For a guy with deep, historic roots to Florida, and no ties to Texas, this is a curious move. 

I fully acknowledge Wilson is a special case because he grew up in Columbus and still has family there. But Dobbins, Browning, and Okudah had no previous ties to tOSU. 

Look at Urb's presser after Herman's "fairy dust" comment. Where in the f*** did that come from? 

There’s a bunch of arm wrestling points in that that we could go round and round about.  Ultimately there’s some amount of butthurt with urban whether it’s personal or not.  

To be frank, Texas players should go to Texas.  Anyone surprised by that has ignored the past 120+ years of football, academics, and general history.  Urban acting like Texas is a hotbed for tOSU recruiting after one class is fucking clownshoes.

• Like 2

Just now, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

There’s a bunch of arm wrestling points in that that we could go round and round about.  Ultimately there’s some amount of butthurt with urban whether it’s personal or not.  

To be frank, Texas players should go to Texas.  Anyone surprised by that has ignored the past 120+ years of football, academics, and general history.  Urban acting like Texas is a hotbed for tOSU recruiting after one class is fucking clownshoes.

Agreed. 

Just now, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Urban was capitalizing on a recruiting vacuum with Texas down, Sumlin being Sumlin, and none of the other Texas schools having the chops to land the blue-chippers. Same as what's happening in Louisiana to a lesser extent with LSU stagnating under the Ogre. Fair play to him.

Herman put an end to that nonsense last cycle, and if he and the staff don't trip over themselves this season, it will stay that way.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Urban was capitalizing on a recruiting vacuum with Texas down, Sumlin being Sumlin, and none of the other Texas schools having the chops to land the blue-chippers. Same as what's happening in Louisiana to a lesser extent with LSU stagnating under the Ogre. Fair play to him.

Herman put an end to that nonsense last cycle, and if he and the staff don't trip over themselves this season, it will stay that way.

Good point on Louisiana. Saban is going to steal Oeaux's lunch money this cycle. 

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Herman put an end to that nonsense last cycle, and if he and the staff don't trip over themselves this season, it will stay that 

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

That’s 100% true and I won’t argue that.  Collectively, we’re repeating ourselves and this should be on the football board.

I think it's vendetta against Herman. It could be any number of things, but I think at its core, Urb is pissed one of his former employees is challenging him. A lot of people think it started at the Satellite Camp hosted by Texas Southern last year, but I think it goes back to the Dobbins' recruitment. 
Does Urb and the tOSU staff work on Georgia and Florida recruits this hard? Hell no. They shut down Browning, Okudah, and Dobbins. No late cycle drama at all. They worked those guys hard, locked them up, and didn't let anybody else in. Not even Saban could pry those guys loose. That's a tremendous amount of leg work. 
Yeah it's pretty weird how they would want to hold on to 3 of the best players in the nation
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:
1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah it's pretty weird how they would want to hold on to 3 of the best players in the nation

Fair enough. Browning and Okudah were number 1 in the country at their positions. Dobbins was the 4th in the country at his position, only because he was injured as a senior. But I think there's a little more to it than Urb recruiting off the Rivals 100 list. 

53 minutes ago, Machinator said:

These guys need to be reminded of Urbans "bad heart". He's due another episode and retirement about now. 

After reading the last few pages, it is obvious that no one knows anything, but that we are definitely on a 1000 page mission. Oh, and we are getting Wilson, and every O-linemen we want. Herman guarantees this. . . Aha, so that's how this is done. I like it. . . . now to a serious thought. We have to win. We do that, and the rest takes care of itself. But until that happens--hmmm, maybe as soon as this fall--a kid like Wilson will go where he can compete for titles, especially National titles. He has said that. Right now, I'd mark him gone to bucknuts.

6 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

tOSU has a way of screwing up each year....close, but no cigar.  Mich has not shown up of late, and urb still can't quite there.  There are no guarantees in Columbus, but it is cold up there.

They won the national championship 3 years ago they're doing just fine.

EJ after dark: Texas staff back on recruiting trail

— Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles has been hard at work on the recruiting trail over the last couple of days. Yesterday, Giles made his way to Kansas to see four-star defensive lineman Marcus Hicks and key JUCO target Jermaine Johnson. Hicks has visited Texas in the past, while Johnson plans to visit this summer. Today, Giles saw four-star defensive lineman Marcus Stripling. There is still some work to do there as Florida, Oklahoma and Texas A&M are the teams to beat.

— Texas tight ends coach Derek Warehime stopped by Fort Worth Southwest to see three-star tight end Nnamdi Adim-Madumere. Texas has been evaluating him for a while, and he is definitely a name to know. Warehime then made his way to Brock to see four-star tight end Baylor Cupp, who recently committed to Texas A&M. It appears Texas isn’t giving up on that recruitment.

— Texas offensive coordinator Tim Beck and wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer were at Austin Lake Travis to see four-star wide receiver Garrett Wilson and new 2020 quarterback-athlete offer Hudson Card. Ohio State was also present as the two schools are in a heated battle for Wilson, who plans on making his decision at some point in the near future. Texas is doing everything it can in crunch time and is making progress.

— As we reported last night, Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar was set to see both Jalen Catalon and Darius Snow. And yes, he did visit both prospects. Next on the agenda for Naivar is another key stop in the Dallas-area. Tomorrow, Naivar will make his way to Trinity Christian Cedar Hill to check in on four-star safety Lewis Cine, who visited earlier this offseason and has increasing interest in UT.

Mike Roach on EJNO's decision

"The Allen offensive guard chose Oklahoma this morning. Ndoma-Ogar had a strong relationship with Herb Hand, but in the end Oklahoma checked more boxes for him. Ndoma-Ogar visited for the spring game, and while he had a good time, it didn't seem like Texas was able to close the distance between them and the Sooners."

Edited by satyanash

Just now, satyanash said:

Mike Roach

"The Allen offensive guard chose Oklahoma this morning. Ndoma-Ogar had a strong relationship with Herb Hand, but in the end Oklahoma checked more boxes for him. Ndoma-Ogar visited for the spring game, and while he had a good time, it didn't seem like Texas was able to close the distance between them and the Sooners."

I don't think Texas made an honest to goodness push for EJNO. Just my reading of the situation. 

15 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Did anyone else see Elijah Higgins' dad call out E.J. on Twitter yesterday? The tweets may have been deleted by now.

Meanwhile, Higgins is visiting Ohio State this weekend.

Pretty sure they were joking 

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

In what way?

He asked ej what he thought of the Florida offer and where he had his crystal ball. Ej said still on Texas. Seems like ej has a good relationship with the higgins family.

Edited by utfan87

13 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Man, I wish Mensah would go ahead and announce. I'm sick of Loy blurbs polluting this thread. Fuck the domers. Name-changing holier-than-thou bitches. There's a lot of hate here thrown at tree but not so much at the gilded motherfuckers. There needs to be more vitriol directed towards South Bend in this thread. Fuck those rudy-fellating gipper whores. Damn nasty BBC-conning pretenders. I hate them.

Hates all well and good my man, and they've gotten plenty from Texas the past few years, but nothing in the same realm of high level, coveted talent that we've lost to Stanford in recent classes. Blame it on Recency Bias. 

Since 2013, here are the Texas players we've lost to ND, including two classes with zero Texas players:

Durham Smythe
Torii Hunter Jr.
Cory Robinson
Nick Watkins
Grant Blankenship
Kolin Hill
Jalen Guyton
Brock Wright
Avery Davis

Now to me, that looks like two badass tight ends in Smythe and Wright, and a bag of guys we don't really give a fuck about. The only other names on that list that even ring a bell to me are Jalen Guyton, Avery Davis, and the centerfielder's kid. They even have a fucking kid who can't even spell Colin properly. That guy almost certainly wears suspenders under his uniform and waxes his handlebar mustachio. 

Here's the same list from Stanford. The kids in 2016 alone are enough to gnash teeth:

Brandon Simmons
Solomon Thomas
Kaden Smith
Michael Williams
Obi Eboh
Trevor Speights
Paxton Segina
Richard McNitzky
Walker Little
Paulson Adebo
Trey Stratford
Jacob Mangum-Farrar
Ethan Bonner

Soloman Thomas was a complete stud and 1st round draft pick. Kaden Smith was a complete national stud (as were Wright and Smythe) but seen as one of the best TE's to come out in any class in several years at the time. Obi Eboh fucking decommitted from us to go to Stanford. We finished 2nd for Michael Williams and  he was a position of need. Trevor Speights I don't think had a Texas offer, but he was pretty well regarded. Walker Little can go fuck himself. Paulson Adebo was a flat out stud. 

So I mean...yeah...I get the Stanford salt being a little more unbearable at this point. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Hates all well and good my man, and they've gotten plenty from Texas the past few years, but nothing in the same realm of high level, coveted talent that we've lost to Stanford in recent classes. Blame it on Recency Bias. 

Since 2013, here are the Texas players we've lost to ND, including two classes with zero Texas players:

Durham Smythe
Torii Hunter Jr.
Cory Robinson
Nick Watkins
Grant Blankenship
Kolin Hill
Jalen Guyton
Brock Wright
Avery Davis

Now to me, that looks like two badass tight ends in Smythe and Wright, and a bag of guys we don't really give a fuck about. The only other names on that list that even ring a bell to me are Jalen Guyton, Avery Davis, and the centerfielder's kid. They even have a fucking kid who can't even spell Colin properly. That guy almost certainly wears suspenders under his uniform and waxes his handlebar mustachio. 

Here's the same list from Stanford. The kids in 2016 alone are enough to gnash teeth:

Brandon Simmons
Solomon Thomas
Kaden Smith
Michael Williams
Obi Eboh
Trevor Speights
Paxton Segina
Richard McNitzky
Walker Little
Paulson Adebo
Trey Stratford
Jacob Mangum-Farrar
Ethan Bonner

Soloman Thomas was a complete stud and 1st round draft pick. Kaden Smith was a complete national stud (as were Wright and Smythe) but seen as one of the best TE's to come out in any class in several years at the time. Obi Eboh fucking decommitted from us to go to Stanford. We finished 2nd for Michael Williams and  he was a position of need. Trevor Speights I don't think had a Texas offer, but he was pretty well regarded. Walker Little can go fuck himself. Paulson Adebo was a flat out stud. 

So I mean...yeah...I get the Stanford salt being a little more unbearable at this point. 

Regarding Brock Wright, there's not much Texas could have done. The family is more Roman Catholic than the Kennedys. Wright was always going to Notre Dame. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Regarding Brock Wright, there's not much Texas could have done. The family is more Roman Catholic than the Kennedys. Wright was always going to Notre Dame. 

I know that man, I have some family connections to the coaching staff at Cy Fair. We weren't sniffing Austin Decalus either. But I do appreciate you making my argument even stronger, so thanks!

10 minutes ago, victory88 said:

We've taken lots of OL like EJNO that turn out to be JAGs.  He's a guy we can circle back to later.  Like someone else mentioned above, I never got the feel the staff was all in on him.

I suspect that the ship has sailed on EJNO

I'm fine with it though. I like taking late bloomers/hidden gems at the OL position, especially if you have a solid core in your OL class, which we could potentially have with Johnson, Bragg, Shepherd, and maybe even Green 

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/04/open-post-wednesday-april-25th/

– As you all know, Lake Travis (TX) WR Garrett Wilson officially visited Texas over the weekend. He’s down to Ohio State and Texas. He took his official visit to Ohio State, two weeks ago.

The Buckeyes led going into the weekend.

Wilson was expected to make a decision this Thursday, but last night he told me a decision won’t come until early May. He wants to think things over. That’s a good thing for Texas.

In fact, over the weekend when we asked Garrett if Texas was making a dent in Ohio State’s lead he said, “they’re covering ground for sure…I like it a lot!”

After the visit Wilson said, “It was a great visit. It was awesome to see and be around that environment.” He told me he enjoyed spending time with Brennan Eagles, his player host, and some of the other Longhorns. A group of guys that were together during the game with Garrett Wilson were Noah Cain and Texas commits Jordan Whittington and DeGabriel Floyd.

There was some serious recruiting going on.

Something else that Wilson that excited Wilson was that Texas offered his HS teammate, 2020 QB/ATH Hudson Card. Wilson told me Card is one of his best friends and they’re together all the time. On whether they’d like to play together in college, Wilson said, “we talk about that for sure”. Though, if I’m being candid, I don’t think the Card offer will change too much in his recruitment right now.

Wilson is torn here. Again, the longer this takes the better it is for Texas. Once we find a solid commitment date we’ll let you know. – (Andrew)

– We’ve got a few more things to share on Garrett Wilson.

I chatted with him quickly yesterday, and he backed off the stance of saying Ohio State was his leader, and said Texas evened things up over the weekend. Now, could he just be trying to build suspense? Of course. Though this is coming from a kid that has stressed to both myself and Super K that he wants to make sure he makes the correct decision the first time when he commits. So it is something that he is likely sincere about.

Another thing is that I was told Texas basketball Head Coach, Shaka Smart, has been in contact with Garrett’s father. As they’ve talked about the chance of Garrett getting a look at playing basketball in college as well. Wilson isn’t just an average basketball player. A week or two ago he dropped 36 on Austin rival Westlake HS. I talked to some people around Lake Travis who said there was some talk, early in Wilson’s HS career, if he was going to play football or basketball at the next level.

When I asked Wilson about Texas possibly giving him a shot to play basketball as well, he told me “Yeah it’s something I think would be cool to test out and see if I’d wanna continue it.” I don’t know if Ohio State is offering him the same thing, and it wouldn’t surprise me if they are. But it’s just something interesting I wanted to pass along. – (Andrew)

– As you all know, 2019 running back, Noah Cain (IMG Academy) was on campus this past weekend for an unofficial visit. I spoke with Noah’s father, Terence, about the visit.

The Cain’s have had a busy spring visiting Oklahoma, Georgia, Ohio State, Auburn, LSU and finally Texas. Terence tells me that they still have a couple additional visits remaining including one to Penn State.

I know the question that we continue to ask if whether Noah will stick with his original commitment date of December 22nd. Terence confirmed that the date is still firm and nothing has changed.

We discussed how Texas looks currently compared to other teams and how they look compared to the team they saw last year, “Definitely improved as a team over last year. I don’t think they’re ready to compete for a championship yet. They’re not as far along as teams like Georgia and Oklahoma and Penn State but they’re getting there. Definitely better than the team we saw last year.”

Terence went on to discuss how close Texas was in a games last year and the belief is that with the improvements, Texas could take that step closer to being a 9 or 10 win team with a championship run to come in the next year or two.

Noah spent time with guys like Jordan Whittington, Garrett Wilson and others but also, “we spent a lot of time with coach Drayton, coach Herman and Brian [Carrington]…coach Drayton is one of the best in terms of development that you’ll come across”.

Facilities Upgrade

Terence and I had discussion about the current state of the Texas facilities and where things are headed. Noah is one of the most highly coveted backs in the country. The family has seen a number of facilities. So, they have a good sense of what is out there and it sounds like Texas wants to make sure they can complete.

“When we first visited Texas, I was surprised at how far behind the facilities were. They’ve made improvements and it’s nice but when you’re talking about the flagship university then you need to be the best”.

And the plan apparently, is to get there…

“They showed us the future plans to upgrade and it’s already been approved. They’re going to close in the stadium”.

Terence went on to describe a number of details regarding the new plan to upgrade facilities and said things are, according to Cain, expected to be complete in the next couple years.

Moving Forward

As I said, Cain is still set on deciding in December. Texas is one of the main schools in the running and I think it helps that the Cains see an opportunity for Noah to come in and make an immediate impact; to make the team instantly better.

Look for them to finish the spring out with a couple additional visits and then official visits in the fall. – (Super K)

– 2019 4 star ATH, Christian Harris (Baton Rouge, LA) tells me that he plans on visiting Texas this upcoming weekend.

Earlier this month, Harris released a top ten which included Texas.

Among the teams to watch here are Alabama and in-state program, LSU. Harris is a big man at 6’1 225 lbs and his team literally lines him up, at times, at cornerback. He also plays outside wide receiver, slot, H-back. He can pretty much play anywhere.

I’m told that Bama is recruiting him as an OLB.

In terms of where Texas would like him to play he said, “they said whatever I want but I’m pretty sure we’re going to talk about it more this weekend”.

We hope to have more on Harris, shortly. – (Super K)

– This past weekend, 2019 Conroe, TX Oak Ridge OT Tyler Johnson was back in Austin, again, to see the Longhorns Spring Game. I checked in with Johnson’s mom to see how the visit went and she said it was another ‘good visit’.

Like I have mentioned before, Johnson has visited Texas on a number of occasions already with this last visit coming right after he took his first official visit to Oklahoma for their Spring Game during the April 14 weekend. After that official I mentioned on the Oklahoma site not to be surprised when Tyler’s next official was to Texas. And according to his Mom that visit date has now been set.

“May 4 (weekend), Texas,” she said about when their official visit to the Longhorns would be.

Again, just visited for the Spring Game this past Saturday after having visited a few Saturdays prior for a spring practice. Now he’s returning in a little over a week for his official visit. Three visits in basically a month’s span, hard not to envision Texas being the team to beat at this point. – (Alex)

– Some of the Texas staff is hitting the road this week as the Spring evaluation period begins. High School Spring practice is getting underway and the coaches are heading out. I was told that Running Back coach, Stan Drayton, stopped in to see two elite RB’s.

IMG Academy (FL) Running Backs’s Noah Cain and Trey Sanders got a visit from Drayton on Monday. It hasn’t been long since Drayton saw Cain, as he visited Texas over the weekend. We like where Texas sits with Cain, even though he doesn’t plan to make a decision until December.

Trey Sanders is a little bit more interesting. As most expect him to stay in the Southeast, more specifically at one of the big Florida schools; Florida, Miami, and Florida State. Though there has been some interesting behind the scenes buzz regarding him and Texas, as Super K has eluded too. Sanders hasn’t taken a visit to Texas, and I always say actions speak louder than words. Sanders has taken multiple visits to those three Florida schools I alluded to earlier, so far in 2018.

If Sanders takes an official to Texas, that would be huge news. Getting him in for an unofficial plus an official visit would be even bigger, though I’m not sure that happens as of right now.

Sanders really likes Stan Drayton, and he and Cain are both elite backs as well as friends, and they respect how Texas has recruited them. The friends talk about what schools tell them, and some schools have been burned by both of them because they told both backs things like “you’re our #1 guy”.

Bottom line is that Texas is in a really good spot with Cain, and seem to really have Sanders’ attention. Not many schools can say that. – (Andrew)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/04/open-post-wednesday-april-25th/

Hide contents

The friends talk about what schools tell them, and some schools have been burned by both of them because they told both backs things like “you’re our #1 guy”.

I thought this was very interesting re: Cain and Sanders. Obviously, I'm sure this kind of thing happens all the time (e.g. Urban Meyer telling Jevan Snead he was recruiting Tebow as a linebacker), but how could anyone be stupid enough to tell two different running backs, who are roommates, this and not expect to be found out?

I know aggy is recruiting both, so hopefully they were one of the offenders. I could certainly see Brewster pulling that crap.

Edited by campcrunk
because
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

EJNO isn't a jag, you guys are sounding real aggy-like right now. 

I don't think he's a JAG, but it's obvious our staff hasn't prioritized him; the pay sites and CTJ have been saying this for awhile now