Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

So how are we looking to finish WR recruiting?  Wright plus 1 of the 3 recent offers?  Higgins back in play?  I'm guessing 2 more.

And lulz at Perroni saying Smith was more than likely USC bound.

Edit: Texifornia brought it back up.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

This is why I would never have a career as a recruiting analyst. TQ Jackson looks better than all of the guys we have offered or committed. I am sure there are like, measurables and shit and relative competition that I am missing. He looks like a guy that goes to Texas Tech as a less heralded recruit and  rips the Big 12 apart. 

Why not offer this guy as the 4th/5th receiver? 

Edited by Newy25

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

This is why I would never have a career as a recruiting analyst. TQ Jackson looks better than all of the guys we have offered or committed. I am sure there are like, measurables and shit and relative competition that I am missing. He looks like a guy that goes to Texas Tech as a less heralded recruit and  rips the Big 12 apart. 

Well it's a good thing it looks like he's Arky bound, then he can run wild on the lousy aggy secondary.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

5 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

For what it's worth, Justin Wells has been saying the same thing (but he's also a total homer for East Texas recruits).

I don't think TQ is better than Smith, though.

Edited by Machinator

6 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

herman is saying they are passing on talented guys due to "culture" differences. not a good practice guy? doesnt fit "culturally"  might pull a Mixon (wease-Henderson).

we arent gonna pursue some guys. because no matter how talented, they have red flags. 

11 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I think this just goes to the point that Texas is loaded year in and year out with players at WR.  

I think smith has a little Christian McCaffrey in him.  A little smaller at this point, but his ability to stick his foot in the ground and run nice routes is very Shipley-esque.  What’s going to make him fucking lethal is that ability to come out of that cut and switch from 1st to 2nd gear in heartbeat. Hook’em Jake.

1 hour ago, NorLa Horns said:

herman is saying they are passing on talented guys due to "culture" differences. not a good practice guy? doesnt fit "culturally"  might pull a Mixon (wease-Henderson).

we arent gonna pursue some guys. because no matter how talented, they have red flags. 

I totally get that but OU and A&M are not pushing for him and they have no moral boundaries. This is where I wished I knew what I was talking about because this guy looks legit. 

We hit on two of our top four targets and the state is almost literally raining talented receivers from the sky. Well not really but there are a lot of great options out there now still to finish out the class. 

7 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

I think smith has a little Christian McCaffrey in him.  A little smaller at this point, but his ability to stick his foot in the ground and run nice routes is very Shipley-esque.  What’s going to make him fucking lethal is that ability to come out of that cut and switch from 1st to 2nd gear in heartbeat. Hook’em Jake.

From Jake's interview with EJ: 

Texas has a need for a true fit at slot receiver, and Smith is definitely in that mold. However, the Longhorns plan to use him in a variety of ways.

“They see me at the H position, which is a mix of slot receiver and tailback,” Smith said. “They want me to play that. They would also use me in the punt return and kick return game.”

Is anyone else concerned with Jake’s endurance? It’s only one data point, I know, but in the Hudl game I just watched, he scored touchdowns on 100% of the touches he had in the first 8:00 minutes of the game, but then was tackled on most of the plays in the last 7:00 minutes. 

Funny aside . . . his team wasn’t on defense once that game. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

From Jake's interview with EJ: 

Texas has a need for a true fit at slot receiver, and Smith is definitely in that mold. However, the Longhorns plan to use him in a variety of ways.

“They see me at the H position, which is a mix of slot receiver and tailback,” Smith said. “They want me to play that. They would also use me in the punt return and kick return game.”

Smith running some sweeps or even play action sweeps is going to be amazing. 

1 hour ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Plus his 40 time of 4.37 is faster then McCaffery. Don't know how legit the measurement is though. 

I can see the similarity with his cutting and vision though.