Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

7 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

So how bad will this board meltdown if Shepherd visit Aggy on Friday and commits?

Truthfully, I am not going to be upset one way or the other.  Herman and his staff are extremely hard workers and have shown a good ability in year one to pivot to the next set of options if one of our targets goes another way.  It's disappointing they are losing some head to heads, but not unexpected when you pull in the class UT had last year and look at some of the competition's classes.  It's just the way things go in recruiting.  I put little weight in the $9.95'er inside information as its generally unreliable and even if the information is reliable it's reliant on the word of emotional 17 and 18 year old kids.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Bragg’s mom has been pro-Stanford from the jump. If he got in, he’s going there. If he didn’t, he was coming here. People reporting the latter isn’t problematic. And there isn’t a need to “return to the drawing board” you dim twit. 

I never said it was problematic. But I'm not going to take everything $9.95-ers say at 100% face value without knowing the context.

What about Higgins? He's visited recently after the $9.95-ers all but wrote him off. Is it more likely that we've suddenly "surged", or that he's keeping us warm as his next option if Stanford falls through? One is a fundamental change in the tenor of his recruitment, the other isn't. It was the same situation with Bragg.

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I never said it was problematic. But I'm not going to take everything $9.95-ers say at 100% face value without knowing the context.

What about Higgins? He's visited recently after the $9.95-ers all but wrote him off. Is it more likely that we've suddenly "surged", or that he's keeping us warm as his next option if Stanford falls through? One is a fundamental change in the tenor of his recruitment, the other isn't. It was the same situation with Bragg.

I think he is mostly focusing on the fact that you are a Cliff Clavin know-it-all cunt that seems to take pleasure in being a wet blanket.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

I was wondering about the Newton C/OG as well. KSU is going after him pretty hard now, doesn't have the same issue that some of the other Newton kids do. (*ahem*) I think it's more likely we'd just go after a jumbo athlete at this point, but if KSU is in on an OL I usually give them the benefit of the doubt. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Caiden-Walker-46055344

We’re looking for taller OL. 

48 minutes ago, deech said:

Truthfully, I am not going to be upset one way or the other.  Herman and his staff are extremely hard workers and have shown a good ability in year one to pivot to the next set of options if one of our targets goes another way.  It's disappointing they are losing some head to heads, but not unexpected when you pull in the class UT had last year and look at some of the competition's classes.  It's just the way things go in recruiting.  I put little weight in the $9.95'er inside information as its generally unreliable and even if the information is reliable it's reliant on the word of emotional 17 and 18 year old kids.

So why even follow recruiting except the part where you see who we sign?

7 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

So why even follow recruiting except the part where you see who we sign?

I trust in this staff ( as opposed to the prior two staffs) to have done extreme due diligence and that they will put together a great class regardless of whether we get the guys we coveted initially or we don't and they end up at other schools.   If we are thin or weak at any position, I would then expect that staff to recruit grad transfers or JC players to fill the holes.  Whether we get Shepard, Bragg, Leal, Wilson, Little or whomever it's interesting to read the commitment tweets from the players or read the interviews where they explain their decision.  If a player is down to Texas v. the other school and they choose the other school it also gives me someone to watch for when schools whom I would have no interest are playing.  

That does not mean that I do not appreciate how the meal is made each year and the stories that go with it.  I enjoy learning more about the players so when they get to UT I know whether they were our first choice at a particular position or they just worked their way into the starting lineup even though they were not the highest rated player coming out of high school.  Lumpkin's Spanish bullshit.  Shitting away Little.  Mack getting the WRTS trademark in exchange for his committing.  The midnight Murray UT visit.  Malikmas.

TLDR; so: 

1.  Kate 

2.  Learn more about UT players.

3.  For the Lulz.

4.  Learn about players who chose other schools v. UT to watch them at other schools.

There's a simple solution to stopping Stanford coming into Texas and cherry picking players we want. We just need to improve UT's academic ranking until it is on par with Stanford. All we need to do is maybe double or triple the amount of money that the legislature allocates to UT. To do that, we just need to elect a new governor, lieutenant governor, and most of the legislature. Then UT just needs to start recruiting top academics to come teach here and slash class sizes etc. I think all of this can be accomplished in 30-50 years. Think how sweet it will be in 2060 when UT academics are top 10 and we can finally stop Stanford from stealing our football players. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

There's a simple solution to stopping Stanford coming into Texas and cherry picking players we want. We just need to improve UT's academic ranking until it is on par with Stanford. All we need to do is maybe double or triple the amount of money that the legislature allocates to UT. To do that, we just need to elect a new governor, lieutenant governor, and most of the legislature. Then UT just needs to start recruiting top academics to come teach here and slash class sizes etc. I think all of this can be accomplished in 30-50 years. Think how sweet it will be in 2060 when UT academics are top 10 and we can finally stop Stanford from stealing our football players. 

That, or field a competent offensive line once in a decade or so.

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Win a few games first, maybe?  Spitballing here...

9 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

6 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Win a few games first, maybe?  Spitballing here...

8 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

That, or field a competent offensive line once in a decade or so.

I think this has the greatest likelihood of happening....

24 minutes ago, Noah Fence said:

Kate, since you are reading this, I want to have your babies.

Edited by Sgt. Slaughter
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fug said:

So, should I feel good about shepherd? Because after reading the last two pages I’m confused as hell

Yes we should feel good about Shepherd. Yesterday he said we were his number one school and that his girlfriend wasn't playing in to his decision. He is a more reliable source on his own recruitment than Taylor god damn Hamm and the random aggy posters on 247. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HenryJames said:

This is the recruiting board. You should never feel good about anything. 

I feel good about:

-your mom

-sarvanaash having a bigger gash than your mom

-utfan87 having a German sense of humor

-the small of a woman's back

-the hangin' curve ball

-the concept that you don't buy a coach for $75million unless you're going to buy the players too

-Sir Edward Orgeron, IV being a deep state agent who isn't acting alone in the current deconstruction of the LSU football program

-and Texas ultimately landing a top 5-6 recruiting class in 2019

Sir!

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:18 PM, Train wreck said:

“With their nonexistent history of engineering and tougher majors for football players, I don't see that boy going to UT.”   This was a comment made after the family meeting with the coaching staff.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:58 PM, SydneyCarton said:

I thought "nonexistent history of engineering" was a nice touch of delusion myself. 

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering-doctorate

Spoiler Alert it's #11 Texas, #14 ewe molesters. 

Maybe should have been looking in front of you, instead of behind you....#2.   

EJ's feisty today  

This is a perfect illustration of why EJ Holland is a fucking moronic, which-way-is-up dipshit. I can't even craft a better illustration of how limited and out over his skis this guy is than the fact he can't even identify who the strongest competition in his own market is...and I like IT.

The dipshit might have well fucking cited Orangebloods in terms of how stupid he looks shitting on TFB.  I'm not sure this guy could tell a cock from a corndog, even with the lights on as it is being crammed down his throat. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not sure this guy could tell a cock from a corndog, even with the lights on as it is being crammed down his throat. 

Now I'm confused. EJ is Rick Perry?

6bDp7Rr.jpg

Edited by Chopper
  • Like 1

E.J. Holland: Tom Herman talks OOS recruiting, keeping Texas HS coaches happy

It’s no secret Texas is having plenty of success recruiting out-of-state. The Longhorns signed eight out-of-state recruits last cycle and already have four out-of-state prospects committed this cycle. While Texas head coach Tom Herman is helping UT reestablish its national brand, he made it clear that winning the Lone Star State and keeping highly touted players close at home is still his top priority.

“If we had our druthers, a full class of 25 would be from the state of Texas,” Herman told Horns247. “I think the state of Texas knows that. The high school coaches know that. But we also have a responsibility to our program to find national championship caliber players. If you’re taking four linebackers in a class and you think there are four in the state of Texas that you can win a national championship with, great. You offer all four of them and maybe you get two to commit. One decides he wants to go somewhere else. Maybe one grew up wearing maroon pajamas. That doesn’t mean you sign the fifth best linebacker in Texas if you don’t feel like he can win a national championship for you. That’s when you have to branch outside of the state. I think we’ve been calculated with that, and it’s worked out well for us.”

Former Texas head coach Charlie Strong was crucified by Texas high school coaches for recruiting heavy in the state of Florida immediately after stepping foot on the Forty Acres. Herman, however, has received no criticism.

So how is he correctly balancing recruiting away from Texas and keeping in-state high school coaches happy? “Just honesty,” Herman said. “Our preference is to sign a class full of Texas kids. Period. There is not one high school coach in the state that would tell you differently. They believe that because it’s the truth.” Unlike Strong, Herman has strong ties in the state of Texas. After all, he’s been recruiting it since he began his coaching career at Texas Lutheran in 1998. Herman also had stops at Sam Houston State, Texas State, Rice and Houston before arriving at Texas. 

Herman knows this state like the back of his hand and Texas high school coaches not only know him but respect him. While Strong was more of stranger, Herman is a familiar face that Texas high school coaches want to see succeed. Like Herman said, there is a need to recruit out-of-state, especially with the number of P5 programs in-state and schools like LSU, Oklahoma and Ohio State having a strong Texas presence. And high school coaches get that. Herman has done more than enough to earn their trust.

• Like 1