Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Am I wrong or is IT off on Rian Davis? 

Pretty sure his visit before the dead period was an OV. He also OV'd to Louisville but hasn't to Georgia yet. 

If we're running second, they have the OV advantage, and he knows to commit before UGA fills, I really doubt we'll able to win this one. I think we'll be lucky to get him back on campus. 

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Pretty sure his visit before the dead period was an OV. He also OV'd to Louisville but hasn't to Georgia yet. 

If we're running second, they have the OV advantage, and he knows to commit before UGA fills, I really doubt we'll able to win this one. I think we'll be lucky to get him back on campus. 

247 shows his visit was official.

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Yeah, looks like Joe Cook messed up there.

(E.J. Holland) The Opening Finals: OL/DL recruiting scoop

FRISCO, TEXAS — Texas is keeping in close contact with five-star Amite (La.) defensive lineman Ishmael Sopsher. In fact, he said he talks to defensive line coach Oscar Giles almost everyday. Sophsher is going to take all of his official visits, and Texas is in the mix to get one. However, LSU and Alabama are considered the heavy favorites in his recruitment.

— There is a new offensive line target to keep an eye on. Four-star Kahuku (HI) product Enokk Vimahi has been in contact with Texas staffer Jake Langi, who has strong Polynesian ties. Vimahi’s aunt rocked Texas gear at today’s session and was actually an All-American shot putter at UT, so there is an obvious connection. He is definitely a name to file away.

— Texas is still in the lead for four-star Houston North Forest offensive tackle Javonne Shepherd. Nothing much has really changed here. Texas A&M remains a threat, but the Longhorns have done enough to maintain the pole position. Shepherd still plans to use all of his official visits, but again, a decision could come at anytime.

— Four-star Camden Fairview (Ark.) offensive lineman Stacey Wilkins still plans to make his official visit to Texas on September 15 when the Longhorns take on USC. Wilkins said he is very excited about his trip to Austin and is keeping in close contact with the staff. While Texas is in the mix, we still have reason to believe Oklahoma is in the lead.

— Texas is still a ‘contender’ for four-star Katy Mayde Creek defensive lineman Marcus Stripling. He plans to make an OV to UT in the fall, but right now, we don’t expect much movement. There is a chance he doesn’t make the trip as Texas A&M is the heavy favorite, and a decision could come at anytime.

—IMG Academy (Fla.) offensive lineman Evan Neal visited Texas this offseason and said he would love an offer from the Longhorns. Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand recruited Neal at Auburn, and the four-star prospect spoke highly of him. However, Neal said he hasn’t heard much from Hand since his visit.

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Wiltfong CB'd John Emery Jr. to Mississippi State. Expect Coach Oeaux to attempt a more spirited run at Noah Cain.

It seems like he is turning into coach oeaux shit! due to all of the botched recruitments.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

(E.J. Holland) The Opening Finals: OL/DL recruiting scoop

Reveal hidden contents

FRISCO, TEXAS — Texas is keeping in close contact with five-star Amite (La.) defensive lineman Ishmael Sopsher. In fact, he said he talks to defensive line coach Oscar Giles almost everyday. Sophsher is going to take all of his official visits, and Texas is in the mix to get one. However, LSU and Alabama are considered the heavy favorites in his recruitment.

— There is a new offensive line target to keep an eye on. Four-star Kahuku (HI) product Enokk Vimahi has been in contact with Texas staffer Jake Langi, who has strong Polynesian ties. Vimahi’s aunt rocked Texas gear at today’s session and was actually an All-American shot putter at UT, so there is an obvious connection. He is definitely a name to file away.

— Texas is still in the lead for four-star Houston North Forest offensive tackle Javonne Shepherd. Nothing much has really changed here. Texas A&M remains a threat, but the Longhorns have done enough to maintain the pole position. Shepherd still plans to use all of his official visits, but again, a decision could come at anytime.

— Four-star Camden Fairview (Ark.) offensive lineman Stacey Wilkins still plans to make his official visit to Texas on September 15 when the Longhorns take on USC. Wilkins said he is very excited about his trip to Austin and is keeping in close contact with the staff. While Texas is in the mix, we still have reason to believe Oklahoma is in the lead.

— Texas is still a ‘contender’ for four-star Katy Mayde Creek defensive lineman Marcus Stripling. He plans to make an OV to UT in the fall, but right now, we don’t expect much movement. There is a chance he doesn’t make the trip as Texas A&M is the heavy favorite, and a decision could come at anytime.

—IMG Academy (Fla.) offensive lineman Evan Neal visited Texas this offseason and said he would love an offer from the Longhorns. Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand recruited Neal at Auburn, and the four-star prospect spoke highly of him. However, Neal said he hasn’t heard much from Hand since his visit.

Seems like we would have a legit shot at that Hawaii OL if we offer.

27 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's an EJ line eval but maybe Neal gets his offer?

Neal got a lot of praise from the 247 "experts" this weekend.

But Joe Cook talked to him today and Neal said that Texas doesn't really communicate with him. Same with EJNO.

Edited by Machinator

(Steve Wiltfong) Notebook: Texas flavor at The Opening Finals

FRISCO, Texas — The Opening Finals heated up Monday at The Star. Nike 7on7 competition began early in the morning and went until late in the evening, with a fierce OL vs. DL competition providing the afternoon entertainment. 247Sports was on hand to document it all. In addition to a national top performers piece and ranking of the Elite 11 quarterbacks, we’ve divided our coverage of the top performers into regional notebooks. Here is the Texas edition. And the Lone Star State’s best did their thing.

The dominant performance

Richmond (Texas) Fort Bend Bush Top247 cornerback Erick Young had three picks during the evening session of 7-on-7 play. He snagged two against Oklahoma quarterback commit Spencer Rattler including one that sealed the win. Later in the night Young jumped in front of a throw from Michigan quarterback pledge Cade McNamara and took it 95-plus yards the other way for a pick six on his last play of the day. Then there were seven pass breakups.

The 6-foot, 206-pound Young is built like a running back in the secondary and showed the quickness, physicality and instincts coveted at the position. He ranks as the nation’s No. 12 cornerback per the 247Sports Composite and will announce his college decision on Tuesday. Texas A&M has every forecast on the 247Sports Crystal Ball including mine submitted back on Feb. 4.

Terrific group of receivers

The Texas pass catchers are legit and depending on the day you could make an argument so and so is the best in the state. Ohio State commit Garrett Wilson holds that honor in the 247Sports Player Rankings. He wasn’t as consistent catching the football as he would’ve liked, but the state’s top-ranked prospect overall flashed his massive potential snagging passes in traffic, making things happen after the catch and finding the end zone six times on 16 receptions.

I personally thought Oklahoma commit Trejan Bridges led the way regarding the Texas receivers on Monday. As smooth as it gets, the Carrollton (Texas) Hebron standout had 15 receptions, five touchdowns and zero drops. Another Sooners commit Theo Wease had a couple highlight-reel catches en route to 14 receptions and three touchdowns. His future college teammate Arjei Henderson caught eight balls and scored twice, another who can make things happen after the catch. The dynamic Jaylen Ellis is going to be a good one for Baylor, catching 10 passes and scoring twice himself. Sooners tight end commit Austin Stogner hauled in 15 passes as well, a huge target that will be Mr. Reliable in Norman with his soft hands and knack for finding the open spot in the defense.

Then you have Elijah Higgins, a specimen at the position who caught eight passes and scored twice himself. He is as physically impressive looking a prospect as there is competing at the Dallas Cowboys Headquarters.

Owning the trenches

A case could be made that Texas A&M offensive tackle commit Kenyon Green was the Alpha Dog on the line of scrimmage. He went 7-3 in his 10 reps including two wins over the country’s No. 1 recruit Kayvon Thibodeaux, a win over the No. 1 prospect in 2020 Bryan Bresee and he stopped one of the top performers in this setting on the defensive line in Nathan Pickering Jr. who was blowing by everybody.

Out of Humble (Texas) Atascocita, the 6-foot-5, 318-pound Green was impressive blocking on the edge, beating the speed rushers to the perimeter and of course he has the strength to neutralize defensive linemen when they go to power moves. The five-star Green ranks as the nation’s No. 4 offensive tackle and No. 16 prospect overall per the 247Sports Composite and he backed up that high ranking inside The Star. I have zero doubt he could shine at any position across the offensive front.

Emptying the Notebook

LSU linebacker commit Marcel Brooks was certainly one of the top performers at his position. The closing speed is off the charts, the range he can cover on the football field is unique and the intensity he plays with was very evident. Brooks owned the flats when I saw him. Illinois commit Marquez Beason was one of the top cover guys in 7-on-7 play, with the speed and hips to mirror the receivers he was matched up with.

Oklahoma running back commit Jace McClellan caught six passes and his burst when the ball is in his hands is what makes him a special talent. Has the traits to be an every-down back and a star in Norman. Texas A&M safety commit Brian Williams had a 100-yard pick six, one of the most exciting plays of the entire day.

Steve Wiltfong: Top247 OL Stacey Wikins feeling good about three programs

FRISCO, Texas - Camden (Ark.) Fairview Top247 offensive tackle Stacey Wilkinssaid he’s feeling really good about three programs at The Opening Finals. “Right now, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas.” He dished on each program.

“Arkansas the new coaching staff. I’m real excited to see what Coach (Chad) Morris has in store this year after seeing what he did at SMU. Him and Coach (Joe) Craddock are real good coaches and fun coaches to be around.

“At Oklahoma Coach (Lincoln) Riley and Coach (Bill) Bedenbaugh, they’re two good guys that know what they’re talking about, especially Coach B. And the success they had last year, that’s another thing I love about them.

“Texas, the programs they have other than football. If you don’t play football in the league you come back. Coach Hand is a real good offensive line coach so it’s good being around him. Coach Herman I love being around him.”

There’s a couple programs the 6-foot-6 1/2, 280-pound Wilkins is intrigued by. “I want to learn more about Georgia and Miami. Coach (Sam) Pittman came down three times during the open period for practice. It showed he wanted to recruit me. Miami, their sports medicine school. I want to have a real good education. That’s one thing I’m looking at.”

The 247Sports Top247 Player Rankings bills Wilkins as the nation’s No. 14 offensive tackle and No. 93 prospect overall. Oklahoma is the 247Sports Crystal Ball favorite including my forecast. "I’m taking my time to make sure I’m making the best decision possible," Wilkins said. He looks forward to taking officials.

Evaluating UT commit DeGabriel Floyd's performance at The Opening

FRISCO, TEXAS — De'Gabriel Floyd said before The Opening that he wanted to prove his skills as a coverage linebacker. After showing off his run stopping skills in the cat and mouse game during Day 2, the four-star Westlake (Ca.) Village prospect took the field for the 7-on-7 portion. Linebackers are usually limited in these settings, but Floyd was able to provide those in attendance with a strong evaluation opportunity. Working mainly in the middle of the field with responsibility to the flats and everything underneath, Floyd flashed a few times during the evening.

Floyd did look a bit uncomfortable in his backpedal, but that didn’t appear to be a function of stiffness. Despite a stout frame, Floyd moved fluidly and showed the ability to change direction quickly. Floyd’s feet were quicker today than they were during the run stopping drills, and he showed incredible suddenness when he stuck his foot in the ground and exploded downhill. The trend continued as Floyd showed he was at his best playing towards the line of scrimmage.

Floyd showed elite quickness and explosion chasing plays to the boundary or coming downhill at an angle to cut off receivers on quick passes. Floyd also appeared to be a leader on his defensive unit as he lined each member up and called out coverages.

So where does Floyd best fit in the Texas defense? Floyd is currently being recruited as a rover, and he showed off the coverage skills necessary to the position. Where he will really shine is as a versatile chess piece in Todd Orlando’s defense. His skillset and size play as an every-down linebacker who can shoot gaps from the inside and attack the offenses from different positions. Coming into the week, we wanted to see if Floyd could display the versatility to be more than an run-stopping inside linebacker, and he did enough during each of his early opportunities to prove that he’s up to the task.

EJ after dark: Intel on Demariyon Houston; latest on Marques Caldwell

— Four-star Millwood (Okla.) wide receiver Demariyon Houston is set to make his decision this week. We have checked in with several sources and have heard mixed things on where his recruitment actually stands. Right now, we don’t believe he’s informed either staff of his decision. From everything we have been able to gather, we would give Oklahoma State the slight edge at this time, but it might end up being a toss up. Texas is pushing for Houston, who has only visited once, and I’ve been told that the staff now likes him on the outside. We will continue to work to gather more information over the next few days.

— I had a long conversation with three-star Alvin cornerback Marques Caldwell, and he does not have a firm decision date at this time. UT cornerbacks coach Jason Washington has been working hard on him and his family since his recent visit. According to a source, Caldwell and his father have bought in. It’s simply about getting his mother onboard. Caldwell told me he plans to talk to his family about things again this week. I still feel like Texas is the team to beat here.

— Texas put an offer on the table for 2020 Mater Dei (Calif.) cornerback Elias Ricks today. This is a recruit we mentioned in the spring that Texas was really high on, so it’s no surprise that a scholarship was put on the table. Ricks actually reached out to the aforementioned Washington today, and the two had a very productive conversation. Ricks is interested and could visit down the line.

— Four-star outside linebacker Marcel Brooks planned to make a visit to Texas earlier this offseason, but he did not end up making it to Austin. Right now, there really isn’t much here. Brooks has no plans to reschedule his visit, and he remains firm in his commitment to LSU.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Theres a lot of aTm sunshine in those posts, Satyanash. I hope you stocked up kleenex on and hand lotion. 

A) It's Wiltfong, B) we didn't land any of the Texas recruits who made the Opening (yet), and C) it's Wiltfong.

46 minutes ago, satyanash said:

A) It's Wiltfong, B) we didn't land any of the Texas recruits who made the Opening (yet), and C) it's Wiltfong.

Whats your fucking point man? That sunshine is all evaluation, and while ‘fong strokes his crystal ball success the way you toast to the cosmopolitan offerings of the bryan-college station metropolitan area, i dont remember witfong being known for his prescience on evaluations one way or the other. 

Who gives a fuck? We knew they were getting those guys weeks ago. We knew we werent getting another commit at the Opening this week either. 

Do we need as a board to chip in and get you some xanex? Percocet? I dont think we can afford to keep you in maxi-pads. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Whats your fucking point man? That sunshine is all evaluation, and while ‘fong strokes his crystal ball success the way you toast to the cosmopolitan offerings of the bryan-college station metropolitan area, i dont remember witfong being known for his prescience on evaluations one way or the other. 

Who gives a fuck? We knew they were getting those guys weeks ago. We knew we werent getting another commit at the Opening this week either. 

Do we need as a board to chip in and get you some xanex? Percocet? I dont think we can afford to keep you in maxi-pads. 

I think satya was actually being optimistic-ish and saying that the article basically doesn't matter for UT because Wiltfong is worthless and we just don't have a lot of commits there. Hard to believe I know.

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I think satya was actually being optimistic-ish and saying that the article basically doesn't matter for UT because Wiltfong is worthless and we just don't have a lot of commits there. Hard to believe I know.

I'm not sure I'm ready to accept an optimistic Satya. Dogs and cats, living together...mass hysteria. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not sure I'm ready to accept an optimistic Satya. Dogs and cats, living together...mass hysteria. 

Sometimes it is hard to understand a poster’s intent when you’re responding while your eyes are rolled into the back of your head and you’re foaming at the mouth and all over your keyboard. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Lol, Florida. He is looking for reasons not to come to Texas. I’m kinda done thinking about Higgins, there’s a lot of good WRs out there.

Yup.

Texas already has one of the best - maybe the best - in Jake Smith, if he sticks.

No need to stress over WR.  Basically, ever.

Now, DEs - that's another story, lol.

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I meant it in the sense that Wiltfong writes glowing evals about A&M guys because of his Elko connection. Erick Young for example. The staff considers him a safety, and a low-priority one at that, so Wiltfong raving about him isn't especially meaningful. 

E.J. Holland: Who's next? A look at five commit candidates

It was a big weekend for Texas as it scored another commit and moved up to No. 16 in the national team recruiting rankings. So who's next? Here is a look at five candidates that could join the revolution.

WR Demariyon Houston, Millwood (Okla.)

Texas needs an outside wide receiver this cycle, and the Longhorns are recruiting Houston hard. The four-star prospect has the potential to play in the slot as well and could be a dynamic playmaker the Longhorns need. Houston is set to make his decision this Friday, and Texas appears to be at the top of his list along with Oklahoma State. Houston enjoyed his unofficial visit to Texas in the spring and could give the Longhorns some unexpected good news.

OL Javonne Shepherd, Houston North Forest

One of the top offensive linemen in the country, Shepherd once again named Texas his leader after visiting for the Heat Wave event a couple of weeks ago. While Texas A&M has made a strong push, the Longhorns have been able to fend off their recruiting rival so far. Shepherd originally planned to make his decision this summer but is now talking about making official visits. Texas will try to close the deal sooner rather than later.

DL Taurean Carter, Mansfield Legacy

Could Texas be close to landing another key piece up front? Carter had a blast on his unofficial visit for the Heat Wave a couple of weeks ago and made it clear that TCU and Texas are the two schools separating themselves in his recruitment. Carter is a teammate of Texas safety target Jalen Catalon, and the two have talked about playing together. Texas appears to have the edge with Catalon, which should bode well in the Horns’ pursuit of Carter.

CB Marques Caldwell, Alvin

Caldwell was committed to Oregon for almost a year but decommitted last week, shortly after making an unofficial visit to Texas. When the Longhorns put a scholarship on the table during the spring evaluation period, it really changed the dynamic of his recruitment. Caldwell is in the process of setting up a new decision date, and the Longhorns appear to be in a prime position to reel him in. After all, Caldwell called Texas his dream offer.

S Lewis Cine, Trinity Christian Cedar Hill

Texas appears to be gaining plenty of steam in the recruitment of Cine. The Longhorns hosted him for an official visit a couple of weeks ago and made a huge impression on him. Penn State was his leader for a long time, but Cine recently backed off of that statement. Cine has now taken OVs to Michigan, Penn State and Texas, and Florida and Georgia their shots next. UT is in a sneaky good position here.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I meant it in the sense that Wiltfong writes glowing evals about A&M guys because of his Elko connection. Erick Young for example. The staff considers him a safety, and a low-priority one at that, so Wiltfong raving about him isn't especially meaningful. 

Sydney is getting owned today by Satya.

giphy.gif 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1