Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Terry Price recruited that 5 star Daylon Mack and developed him into a second string SECSECSEC block of granite.  Leal may wind up like Myles Garrett or he may wind up like Daylon.  Maybe we can track the careers of Coburn and Ojomo as compared to Leal and Wright.  I would bet the farm that Giles wins that match up.  

8 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Ranting is justified.  Unforced errors of the type involving Higgins and Leal are completely unacceptable.

Leal had everyone on the staff 100% on him. That wasn't an error so much as a lack of personable-ness (for lack of a better word) from Giles and a kid that was an aggy lean for 80% of the process.

Wilson and Higgins on the other hand... Drew says some stupid shit apparently.

Edited by texifornia

Terry Price recruited that 5 star Daylon Mack and developed him into a second string SECSECSEC block of granite.  Leal may wind up like Myles Garrett or he may wind up like Daylon.  Maybe we can track the careers of Coburn and Ojomo as compared to Leal and Wright.  I would bet the farm that Giles wins that match up.  
I could be wrong, (but rarely admit it if I am) but I think Ojomo will be a monster no OL wants to deal with by the time he's a Junior..

With Coburn it depends on how tightly his head is screwed down to his body. He had a little fun with his recruitment, and sometimes (Kris Boyd, Jordan Elliott etc..) those guys can be a handful to keep focused on the task at hand.

2 minutes ago, ousux said:

I could be wrong, (but rarely admit it if I am) but I think Ojomo will be a monster no OL wants to deal with by the time he's a Junior..

With Coburn it depends on how tightly his head is screwed down to his body. He had a little fun with his recruitment, and sometimes (Kris Boyd, Jordan Elliott etc..) those guys can be a handful to keep focused on the task at hand.

I'm with you on Ojomo.  That was the best Sr. tape of any DL recruit in Texas last year.

14 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Terry Price recruited that 5 star Daylon Mack and developed him into a second string SECSECSEC block of granite.  Leal may wind up like Myles Garrett or he may wind up like Daylon.  

Things could happen. Players could be good or they could be bad. Some players turn out to be very good, but others, they turn out to not be very good. There is no way to know what fate holds for any of us. 

That will be $9.95. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ousux said:

Yep.  Poona farts in Mack's general direction. Ojomo is going to do just fine.  

22 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

I'd also throw in Williams vs V. Jackson since both are similar types.  Ossai vs Brown??

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Remind me who Giles developed again? Name me that under the radar prospect that turned into a monster?

If Hager and Omenihu have the breakout seasons we expect them to, I would give him some credit for that.

But I do think the "Giles is an elite developer" train of thought has taken a life of its own.

Just now, Goodman said:

Lets just stay positive and in rhythm...

All the coaches 2yr contracts come due after this year. (except TO)

I'll nip this in the bud. Nobody, I repeat, NOBODY, is calling for Giles to be fired. Please stop even attempting to set up that straw man.

7 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Remind me who Giles developed again? Name me that under the radar prospect that turned into a monster?

Brian Robison. But again, Giles didn't recruit him. If we limit it to guys Giles recruited, Sam Acho perhaps? Okafor, Kindle, and Jeffcoat were all five-stars. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Robison is a good one. Here are the rankings for the other three:

Henry Melton: 72nd overall

Sam Acho: 166th overall

Chris Whaley: 66th (as an ATH)

Melton and Whaley were running backs.  Giles wins the battle of turning big plodding running backs into NFL defensive linemen.  OK.  Does Lamarr Houston count.  I am too lazy to look it up.  

Edited by lemonandaturd

1 minute ago, lemonandaturd said:

Melton and Whaley were running backs.  Giles wins the battle of turning big plodding running backs into NFL defensive linemen.  OK.  

Yep. Again, he's a fine developer, a plus coach. Give him elite physical talent, and he'll give you good defensive linemen. Nobody is doubting this. But let's not pretend he's taking walk-ons and turning them into JJ Watt.

1 minute ago, Radical Larry said:

Oh, we're doing this again? 

tenor.gif

You can direct your ire in this direction:

3 hours ago, Goodman said:

People are going to hate it because we are not getting Leal and Mowry is all aggie but we will again end up with a very good DL class. I don't care how we land it as long as we end up with some studs like we did last year. I love both our takes so far, neither as immediate contributors and that is just fine.

13 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Melton and Whaley were running backs.  Giles wins the battle of turning big plodding running backs into NFL defensive linemen.  OK.  Does Lamarr Houston count.  I am too lazy to look it up.  

Melton, Whaley, and Houston were all Top 100 prospects, regardless of playing RB early in their careers. Were they in this class they'd be far closer to DeMarvin Leal territory.

Edited by satyanash

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Melton, Whaley, and Houston were all Top 100 prospects, regardless of playing RB early in their careers. Were they in this class they'd be closer to DeMarvin Leal territory.

So is Jimbo going to have Leal toting the rock?   Terry Price might develop him into Hershel Fucking Walker.  

Edited by lemonandaturd

E.J. Holland: Texas keeping tabs on Florida DL Justin Williams

Texas is still on the prowl for defensive linemen this recruiting cycle. The Longhorns are carefully evaluating several out-of-state options, including rising Armwood (Fla.) defensive end Justin Williams. “I talked to coach Oscar Giles,” Williams said. “He said that he has heard a lot about me and asked me to send him some film.” While things are just starting to get rolling with Texas, Williams said he has high interest in the program. “I’m very interested,” Williams said. “I am just waiting to see how they are going to recruit me. I know that they have a great program as far as academics.”

Williams has seen his stock boom on the recruiting trail over the last several months as he now holds offers from Kent State, Maryland, Ohio, Syracuse, Toledo and a handful of other FBS programs. With his recruitment just starting to take offer, Williams said he is taking his time with the process. The Maryland offer, however, really caught his attention. “Recruiting is going great right now,” Williams said. “The biggest offer I have right now is Maryland.”

At 6-foot-4, 250 pounds, Williams is ranked as the No. 107 strong-side defensive end in the country and No. 202 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This is a recruiting news thread, not an effing Giles coaching critique thread. Please take it elsewhere

Did we stop recruiting DL?  Giles still coaches and recruits for the University.  Maybe he gets 5 star studs, maybe he does not.  I am just along for the ride.  

3 minutes ago, Nope said:

Maybe I’m in the minority here I have no issue whatsoever with taking guys like Mike Williams and having Giles coach them up into NFL draft picks.

Maybe I’m in the minority here,  but Giles is a garbage recruiter and average coach. The next player Giles coaches up to be an NFL draft picks will be the first. Unless Kindle falls in his lap again, he ain’t producing shit

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Maybe I’m in the minority here,  but Giles is a garbage recruiter and average coach. The next player Giles coaches up to be an NFL draft picks will be the first. Unless Kindle falls in his lap again, he ain’t producing shit

AlertBriefBadger.gif

Still not concerned 

Edited by Nope
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Fuck man, you are a legitimate retard.

What the fuck is wrong with what he said?  He's not wrong.  They were all 6'2 240lb running backs that took 2 years to realize they should be on the defensive side of the ball.  And don't fucking kid yourself, all of them got enough carries to prove themselves as running backs.  If you don't like the strategy of letting recruits play the position they want to play at first, then you should bow out of any conversation concerning Bru McCoy and Makiya Tongue.  After that, punch yourself in the dick.

4 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

What the fuck is wrong with what he said?  He's not wrong.  They were all 6'2 240lb running backs that took 2 years to realize they should be on the defensive side of the ball.  And don't fucking kid yourself, all of them got enough carries to prove themselves as running backs.  If you don't like the strategy of letting recruits play the position they want to play at first, then you should bow out of any conversation concerning Bru McCoy and Makiya Tongue.  After that, punch yourself in the dick.

Just because they were top 100 athletes didn't guarantee they would be successful at DL. It took coaching to do it, and he was mitigating that coaching because they were Top 100 athletes. So to answer your question, everything.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Just because they were top 100 athletes didn't guarantee they would be successful at DL. It took coaching to do it, and he was mitigating that coaching because they were Top 100 athletes. So to answer your question, everything.

I think you need to read my posts again because nowhere have I criticized Giles' coaching. Feel free to address a point I've actually made.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Exactly jackass.  They were athletes because everyone and their mother knew they were DL but they insisted on playing running back - That's the reason they came to Texas. They were allowed to be running backs first.  If anything the coaching should be lauded because I'm pretty sure all of them only had 2 years being coached as DL, but feel free to continue parading around like you know what the fuck you're talking about.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Exactly jackass.  They were athletes because everyone and their mother knew they were DL but they insisted on playing running back - That's the reason they came to Texas. They were allowed to be running backs first.  If anything the coaching should be lauded because I'm pretty sure all of them only had 2 years being coached as DL, but feel free to continue parading around like you know what the fuck you're talking about.

You are fucking hallucinating if you think Mack Brown considered Chris Whaley a DT.  That fucker thought he had discovered the second coming of  Marcus Dupree at Madisonville High.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

You are fucking hallucinating if you think Mack Brown considered Chris Whaley a DT.  That fucker thought he had discovered the second coming of  Marcus Dupree at Madisonville High.  

Never did I say anyone else In their right mind thought anyone of the players named were running backs. Which is why every service ranked them as athletes before they signed despite Mack telling them “you think you’re a running back?  Why the fuck not? Just come play at Texas.”

FYI.  Mack never coached an ounce of position play.  Unless you’re trying to be revisionist and forgetting his “CEO” approach to coaching.  What I’m referring to are the actual position coaches that do the real work.   

Stop being a crumogendy nutsack.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom

I remember seeing footage of Chris Whaley running a heat in the 200m at a track meet in 3a hillbilly country somewhere. He finished dead last behind a bunch of scrawny white dudes. It was fucking hilarious on its own, but watching the film with my buddies against the back drop of knowing that Mack Brown thought he’d found himself a fucking power tailback was memorable shit. We exploded into laughter when shown the footage. I wonder if it is out there somewhere? 

Anyway, couple that kind of shit with the fact that Whaley was a smoker coming out of high school and it shows you the level of diligence Brown and crew were putting in at that point. Funny shit. 

8 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Can we get an East Texas Broussard instead of all these Baton Rouge Broussards.  I am sure Port Arthur and Bridge City can help.  Maybe Port Acres too.  

He is from California. Anyway, I like the film. He catches well out of the backfield and has excellent speed and quickness. He reminds me of a talented Brett Robin.

Edited by Bevo