Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

3 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

How come when I go to Wal-Mart all I see are DL's and XXXL's but apparently they do not exist in TX HS FB.

It's an ok year for DL in Texas, we just lost out on Leal, Mowry and Stripling - Price vs. Giles is a very skewed recruiting battle. On the flip side, Giles is a much better coach, so it's all swings and roundabouts.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's an ok year for DL in Texas, we just lost out on Leal, Mowry and Stripling - Price vs. Giles is a very skewed recruiting battle. On the flip side, Giles is a much better coach, so it's all swings and roundabouts.

I mean, Mowery and Stripling have pretty much shown zero interest in Texas.  It happens with kids sometimes.  Same way Tyler Johnson showed zero interest in aggy.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

I mean, Mowery and Stripling have pretty much showed zero interest in Texas.  It happens with kids sometimes.  Same way Tyler Johnson showed zero interest in aggy.

Left unsaid is that showing zero interest in Texas is an indisputable sign of diminished mental capacity and character, while showing zero interest in aggy clearly shows promise of future Mensa membership. 

16 minutes ago, ousux said:

Don't like seeing the spot right above us, almost wish they could swap with aggy...or better yet someone oos and not on our schedule for the next few years.

How bout we just jump them instead mkay? All better. *Places call to ESPN recruiting rankings dept.*

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Giles vs price= poona vs daylon mack. 

Sadly most recruits won't even care about this.  Urban's history of putting guys into the NFL outweighs anything else for most recruits.
If position coaches don't make a shit, they won't care that the first 3 letters in Mehringers name says it all about his coaching.

34 minutes ago, Bevo said:

<reverse jinx> I hope Urban doesn't steal our WR coach <reverse jinx>

I thought this same thing. posrep.

If I'm being totally honest, I had a lot of dark thoughts run through the ol'noggin when I saw the Zach Smith news pop up. "Maybe they'll take Mehringer"; "Why can't any of our dead weight, hangers-on, bro ... bro ... BRO mouthbreathing meathead weak links on the staff ever do something like beat up on their pregnant girlfriends?";  "Maybe Drew Mehringer's wife or girlfriend will beat him into a body cast and he'll quit the staff due to shame and/or incapacitation"; etc. Why is it that Ohio State gets all the breaks?

Also, anyone who thinks news like this will cause Wilson to suddenly get re-interested in dealing with Mehringer should think again. Mehringer's shit-talking about his own players to Wilson and his dad is allegedly part of what cemented their thinking in heading elsewhere in the first place. 

Cue the cybersobbing about being mean about our corchez or the string of predictable "is today the day this month in which we bash Mehringer?" posts. Meh. Bleh. 

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If I'm being totally honest, I had a lot of dark thoughts run through the ol'noggin when I saw the Zach Smith news pop up. "Maybe they'll take Mehringer"; "Why can't any of our dead weight, hangers-on, bro ... bro ... BRO mouthbreathing meathead weak links on the staff ever do something like beat up on their pregnant girlfriends?";  "Maybe Drew Mehringer's wife or girlfriend will beat him into a body cast and he'll quit the staff due to shame and/or incapacitation"; etc. Why is it that Ohio State gets all the breaks?

Also, anyone who thinks news like this will cause Wilson to suddenly get re-interested in dealing with Mehringer should think again. Mehringer's shit-talking about his own players to Wilson and his dad is allegedly part of what cemented their thinking in heading elsewhere in the first place. 

Cue the cybersobbing about being mean about our corchez or the string of predictable "is today the day this month in which we bash Mehringer?" posts. Meh. Bleh. 

looks-like-me-in-call-of-duty_o_241818.g

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If true, that guy is a bigger douche than he appears to be.  Which is saying a lot.

4 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I mean, Mowery and Stripling have pretty much shown zero interest in Texas.  It happens with kids sometimes.  Same way Tyler Johnson showed zero interest in aggy.

I am actually surprised this doesn't happen more often. You would assume people who play football are fans of watching college football. When you are a fan of watching college football, you hate certain teams, i.e. I hate aggy and blowu. If I was a good athlete ain high school and was racking up scholarship offers, I would publicly, and literally, shit on any letters I received from aggy or blowu. There are far too many kids "torn" between hated rivals these days. Makes me think they don't even watch college football at all.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

I am actually surprised this doesn't happen more often. You would assume people who play football are fans of watching college football. When you are a fan of watching college football, you hate certain teams, i.e. I hate aggy and blowu. If I was a good athlete ain high school and was racking up scholarship offers, I would publicly, and literally, shit on any letters I received from aggy or blowu. There are far too many kids "torn" between hated rivals these days. Makes me think they don't even watch college football at all.

Because coaches move around a lot, and are competitive dudes who hold grudges, you don't get that publicly very often.

Still fun when you get an "I ain't going to no damn TCU" moment like with Brennan Eagles, though.

Edited by texifornia

10 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

We follow college football because we love college football.  These kids play college football because they are good at football.  That doesn't seem like a big difference, but you would be surprised at how many football players, and really athletes in general, couldn't care less about the pageantry surrounding the sport they play.  Most of them develop some connection to campus while they are here, but It's strictly a business decision for a lot of them before that.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Most high school kids don't give a shit. Chasing tail, partying, video games, social media, and fucking around at the mall are each individually just as likely to hold their attention as the maybe one or two games they watch a week. There's certainly a chunk of prospects who grew up in an "school x household" where the dad spends time on recruiting messageboards and has his schools' memorabilia everywhere, or where a kids dad played at school x and met his mom there, but for most of these kids, other factors will matter more 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

We follow college football because we love college football.  These kids play college football because they are good at football.  That doesn't seem like a big difference, but you would be surprised at how many football players, and really athletes in general, couldn't care less about the pageantry surrounding the sport they play.  Most of them develop some connection to campus while they are here, but It's strictly a business decision for a lot of them before that.

Big-time athletes rarely start out as ordinary and then one day become elite. For every David Robinson who unexpectedly blossoms in his late teens, there's a guy who has been the biggest, fastest and strongest athlete in his class as long as he's been playing. It's all just normal to him. Not saying he hasn't worked hard to get better, because all have — but he doesn't see being a stud athlete or the perks that come with is as some fantasy life. It's just his everyday existence. Same as being pretty or handsome. There's no ordinary life to be thankful for having escaped.

I totally agree that hardcore fans take rivalries MUCH more seriously than 99 percent of the players do. Bill Bradleys are the clear exceptions, not the rule.   

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Was wondering why Ohio State hadn't let Smith go yet.

Turns out his granddad is none other than Earle Bruce.

Ohio State people are so fucking spoiled with the unprecedented run of successful coaches that they've had that they don't really value Bruce's contribution on any large scale. Many of them view him as a failure even though his winning percentage was .750 while there. They truly have no idea how good they've had it compared to every other program in the country on the coaching front.

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Appreciate the note. I don't have any confidence that we'll land this guy, but getting him on campus would be nice all the same.

Don't think we want any out of state recruits visiting today:  if they get off the plane, it's 109 degrees at ABIA....they'd just melt getting to their rides.

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Was wondering why Ohio State hadn't let Smith go yet.

Turns out his granddad is none other than Earle Bruce.

They're posting on the football board he's been terminated.  

Edit: I'm a little slow Machinator.

Edited by Laga4

6 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

So it’s ok if he’s on staff when he’s under the radar, but when it’s public that he’s a pregnant women beater, then he has to go. Noted, great work Urban.

This is the point, Urban knew and gave no shits until it was in the press. Fuck that guy.