Texas recruiting notes 2019

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Wiltfong did CB Chris Steele to USC. That's one I'd worry about. 

Does anyone really expect us to land Steele? I’ve never thought we had all that great of a chance with him. He solicits offers and has glowing reviews about most schools. 

I’ll put it this way, If we get Steele, then we gettin errrbody.

So I guess that means we’re gettin Steele.

27moam.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Wiltfong did CB Chris Steele to USC. That's one I'd worry about. 

Until he visits nothing about him matters. Might as well put him in the non Texas recruiting because it's meaningless till then 

13 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Does anyone really expect us to land Steele? I’ve never thought we had all that great of a chance with him. He solicits offers and has glowing reviews about most schools. 

I’ll put it this way, If we get Steele, then we gettin errrbody.

So I guess that means we’re gettin Steele.

27moam.jpg

I think Texas will get an official visit from Steele. We'll see where it goes from there. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Texas will get an official visit from Steele. We'll see where it goes from there. 

Yeah, I’d say we’re likely in his top 8 or so, but I don’t think we’re one of the 3 most likely teams to land him right now. I agree if we get a visit, then there’s a chance considering how often this staff knocks the visits out of the park.

24 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It'll be interesting to see what happens in state at DB after we land Watson. Catalon is only must land in my book right now. 

Richardson would be nice, but I think he's pretty content with Aggy. His dad likes Texas though, we'll see if anything comes from it. 

Do we shut it down with Watson and Catalon, if we strike out on the 5 stars they are chasing. I guess Cine would be a take as well, probably over Richardson.

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Do we shut it down with Watson and Catalon, if we strike out on the 5 stars they are chasing. I guess Cine would be a take as well, probably over Richardson.

Cine's senior tape will be interesting. Should have something on HUDL after four games.  I'm a little sick of the lack of competition criticism around Cine. Yes the kid is from New England, but that doesn't mean he can't play. Penn State is doing pretty darned well with New England players.

I think Richardson is better than Cine, but I think he's a competent replacement. 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Cine's senior tape will be interesting. Should have something on HUDL after four games.  I'm a little sick of the lack of competition criticism around Cine. Yes the kid is from New England, but that doesn't mean he can't play. Penn State is doing pretty darned well with New England players.

I think Richardson is better than Cine, but I think he's a competent replacement. 

Is Trinity Christian in a decent district?

41 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It'll be interesting to see what happens in state at DB after we land Watson. Catalon is only must land in my book right now. 

Richardson would be nice, but I think he's pretty content with Aggy. His dad likes Texas though, we'll see if anything comes from it. 

Not sure if there's another player in the state who did more for his team than Catalon did for Mansfield Legacy. He was the best player on the field no matter where he lined up and they lined him up everywhere as if he were a small school kid. Legacy is 5A.

9 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

No, it's TAPPs division 2.

That RB who balled out at the UA game went there last year though.

Still better than Massachusetts High School Football.

What's their out of district schedule look like? Surely,  Primetime and Samurai Mike won't schedule scrub teams. 

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Still better than Massachusetts High School Football.

What's their out of district schedule look like? Surely,  Primetime and Samurai Mike won't schedule scrub teams. 

They play a team in Florida that I have no reference point for, All-Saints Episcopal, who we pull from occasionally (they are Tapps D1), and Melissa, who went 12-2 in 4A last year and lost to the eventual state champs. That's going to be way better than Massachusetts football for sure.

Once they get into TAPPS D2 play though, it should be fairly lopsided. TC-Cedar Hill has more talent than any one else in that division.

Edited by Lonestar88

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

It's more than likely 2 safetys 2 cb. Watson is going to be a Swiss army knife that could play cb or safety 

59 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I've agreed with a lot of your posts but definitely not this one.  Cine is legit - he's fast, brings the hat on every play, plays the run well, and is much more polished than Richardson.  There's a reason this kid is the 37th ranked recruit in the nation.  You take him over Richardson every day of the week. 

3 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

To be fair, 94 hasn't said that Card is going to be a QB worthy of a Texas offer. He's simply said that Card is obviously the best athlete of this, or any, generation. 

Well let's face it: you've got Wilt Chamberlain, Jim Thorpe, and Hudson Card ..... not necessarily in that order.  I mean, Card has played WR and QB and he's still in high school.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Well let's face it: you've got Wilt Chamberlain, Jim Thorpe, and Hudson Card ..... not necessarily in that order.  I mean, Card has played WR and QB and he's still in high school.  

I thought Card was the 2nd best athlete of this generation, after Garrett Wilson.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Street2Peschel said:

Would you trade a Sanders/Cain combo for Evans?  

That is not happening, let's not even have that discussion. Texas isn't getting Sanders and Cain

I thought that Evans was ok with being part of a 2 RB class and Cain wasn't?

EJ after dark: UT out in front for Louisiana athlete?

— According to a source in Louisiana, Texas currently has the inside track for University Lab (La.) athlete Makiya Tongue. The three-star prospect recently made a visit to Texas and was blown away by his time in Austin. We expect him to make another trip in the near future. Tongue prefers to play wide receiver at the next level but is probably best suited to play linebacker. Texas has pitched him on the opportunity to play either.

— Texas Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington has fully embraced his new title and is hard at work on a number of key Texas targets, including elite running back Noah Cain. Carrington FaceTimed with Cain a few days ago and is continuing to become more of a factor in his recruitment. Remember, Cain is scheduled to make an unofficial visit to Texas for its spring game in a few weeks.

— Elite 2020 running back Zachary Evans announced his commitment to the Under Armour All-America Game tonight. As expected, the Oklahoma rumors were just that — rumors. Evans remains high on Texas, and his brother, who is a father figure to him, is very pro-UT. As I mentioned earlier, Evans and his brother are looking to visit Texas very soon, possibly this week.

— Texas recently extended an offer to four-star Destrehan (La.) running back John Emery. But the Longhorns are not in the mix in this recruitment. He announced a top eight that did not include Texas a few days ago. Cain and Trey Sanders remain priorities at the position, while the Longhorns are actively recruiting Marcus Major and Deondrick Glass.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

I've agreed with a lot of your posts but definitely not this one.  Cine is legit - he's fast, brings the hat on every play, plays the run well, and is much more polished than Richardson.  There's a reason this kid is the 37th ranked recruit in the nation.  You take him over Richardson every day of the week. 

Richardson might end up higher ranked than Cine 

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

For the 2020 thread, but Card played darned well against a good, veteran Allen defense. Especially considering the fact that he pressed into emergency duty, and didn't get many reps at QB in the week leading up to the state title game. 

It's early, but I think the 2019 QBs are better than 2020 class. Roschon is a special talent. Gunnell can play. McIvor and Zeno are good enough to be QB1 in Texas' 2019 class. If either were willing to be the second QB in the class, Texas should jump all over that and just take one QB in 2020. 

For the Candi getting busted thread, but I have no idea why Jimbo isn't recruiting Zeno and McIvor.

REAL. RECRUITING.

7 hours ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

That's a fair take, I agree there's a reason Cine is ranked so high. 247 Sports analysts usually don't pay much attention to Northeastern recruits. They obviously see something they like in Cine. 

Per Brainiacs awhile back, some people around Wax's program said that Demani was as fast as Reagor. While this is undoubtedly hyperbole, he's a freaky safety/rover Overshown type with a high ceiling. I'm not sure who's the better overall safety prospect yet, like Bill I'd like to see more hudl from both doing safety things, but I doubt he's as good of a pure athlete with the physical potential of Richardson. 

As to whoever said we're likely taking four DBs, I'd bet on five, or at least four DBs with an "athlete" who's more likely to play DB than WR. We'll play five DBs the majority of the time going forward, and we'll play six DBs more often than we'll play four. The position should probably be thought of as being similar to OL where you need to take big numbers every year. 

Edited by Fud

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

Per Brainiacs awhile back, some people around Wax's program said that Demani was as fast as Reagor. While this is undoubtedly hyperbole, he's a freaky safety/rover Overshown type with a high ceiling. I'm not sure who's the better overall safety prospect yet, like Bill I'd like to see more hudl from both doing safety things, but I doubt he's as good of a pure athlete with the physical potential of Richardson. 

As to whoever said we're likely taking four DBs, I'd bet on five, or at least four DBs with an "athlete" who's more likely to play DB than WR. We'll play five DBs the majority of the time going forward, and we'll play six DBs more often than we'll play four. The position should probably be thought of as being similar to OL where you need to take big numbers every year. 

took 6 last year, and losing 4 seniors this year. The # is likely 4, but if you hold a spot for someone elite.

IT

NANA OSAFO-MENSAH

Georgia defensive back Kenyatta Watson isn't the only player Texas and Notre Dame are dueling directly for.

Osafo-Mensah, the linebacker destined for defensive end, visited Texas on Saturday for the first of two trips in close proximity.

He had this to say about the visit: "From everything I experienced yesterday in Austin; the scrimmage, hanging with the coaches, seeing all the facilities, and touring the campus, UT and Notre Dame are my two favorite schools."

His answer confirmed our suspicion that Texas A&M is on the outside looking in and is basically out of it for all intents and purposes.

In our view earlier in the cycle, Notre Dame held a strong lead but Texas is making up serious ground in a hurry and now it's essentially a coin flip as he gets ready to take an official visit to see his co-leaders. He'll return to South Bend April 13th-15th and return to Austin May 4th-6th.

Osafo-Mensah will announce at Fort Worth Nolan Catholic's spring game in late May. With Texas narrowing the gap and then getting the final visit, you have to like Herman's chances for the strong four-star.

LEWIS CINE

Yet another DFW private school player made a weekend visit to Texas.

We talked about Cine on Friday after his Thursday visit but then he visited again on Saturday. He responded on Sunday with, "I got to see practice, see the environment. It was very fast paced, tempo tempo tempo."

Cine is a move-in from Connecticut who found his way to Trinity Christian in Cedar Hill. Soccer was his first love as he played soccer. Funny enough, he's still a striker.

Previously he's visited Penn State, North Carolina State, Virginia Tech, Rutgers, Indiana, and Syracuse.

He wants to major in business which could be a boon for Texas. He says the UT staff is recruiting him very hard and he talks to someone from the school almost every day. He's already fond of safeties coach Craig Naivar.

With Texas struggling to get Demani Richardson on campus and Jamal Morris likely destined for OU, Cine is one to keep a close eye on. A high four-star, he's currently the composite #37 player in the nation.

AINIAS SMITH

Schools are still trying to find where the junior athlete best projects in college. At Dulles he's played quarterback, wide receiver, running back, safety and corner. That versatility with his exceptional SPARQ testing make him quite attractive to many schools, though Georgia, where his older brother Maurice played, is his lone offer.

Many other schools are just now jumping into the mix, including Alabama, Maurice's original school. Running an electronic 4.51 40, 4.00 shuttle, and leaping 36.4 inches will turn a lot of heads.

Maurice Smith should be a familiar name to recruitniks. He was a die-hard Longhorn fan but signed with Alabama because Texas waited too long to offer. Because of that, the family is beginning to wonder if Texas will wait too long on Ainias as well.

Maurice had the ultimate leverage in a committable offer from Bama. Right now, Ainias is sitting on that single, albeit big, offer. He talks to the national runner-ups at least once a week. If Georgia truly pushes they'll be hard to beat. Ainias has known Kirby Smart for over five years.

After Jimbo Fisher saw Smith firsthand at a 7-on-7 event he was allowed to attend because his son was participating, the Aggies have begun to show interest.

For now, the ball is in UT's court. Smith covets a Texas offer as much as his brother did.

SPRING OFFICIAL VISITS BEGIN

And unofficial visits continue...

Texas already has a decent chunk of targets setup for spring officials. There will be many more. Here's our early list of headliners:

Official visits: Lake Travis WR Garrett Wilson (4/21), Spring Dekaney CB Marcus Banks (5/5), NaNa Osafo-Mensah (5/4-5/6), and Grayson (GA) CB Kenyatta Watson II (4/27-4/29) are set in stone.

The Fort Bend Bush defensive back duo of Jamal Morris and Erick Young are maybes for a spring official visit as well.

Unofficial visits: IMG's (FL) RB Noah Cain and University Lab (LA) LB Makiya Tongue will attend the Orange-White scrimmage unofficially (that will be a very big recruiting event).

Watson belongs in both categories because he is actually going to be back in Austin for a fourth time in less than a year this week. He and his family will attend practice on April 5th and visit with the UT staff. This recruitment continues to look good for Texas, though the staff needs to continue to ameliorate concerns about playing time. Watson knows he has to compete anywhere he goes, but he knows the class of 2018 is absurdly talented. The staff belabors the point it only signed three corners in the previous two classes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Sanders+Cain, is such a thing even possible? I thought Cain wanted to be the only RB take.

He might want to be, but the staff has been trying to sell him on being part of a two RB class

16 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Good question for Keaontay Ingram. 

Eh, he’ll have Daniel Young to spell him for at least the next couple yrs and then it will be Cain and whoever else back there with him.

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Kenyatta is a corner all the way

You think? I’ve only seen his hudl once and it was a little while ago but I thought most of his best plays were when he lined up deep. He didn’t seem to have the foot speed to be an every down CB to me and he also seemed to struggle to turn and make a play on the ball. Whereas when he lined up deep, he seemed to see the field well and make quick breaks. He reminds a lot of Davante Davis, who I’m not all that high on. Against certain teams, he would eat up the short stuff, like bubble routes but can be compromised if he’s put in space without help. To me, you have to scheme to protect that type of guy, which isn’t ideal.

39 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's clear they like Banks, and he could easily end up in this class. I didn't love what I saw from him in various camp highlights, but you should only put so much stock into that 

Agreed. Although a skinny, undersized DB should do his beer at camp. I’ll be curious to see his senior film, but I haven’t been all that impressed by what I’ve seen so far.

4 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

At least for 2019, but if we consider all classes, my sources tell me the staff has Hudson Card at the top of their safety board.

well, that is just a given... ya know, i think he would be a really good safety....

bastards...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

well, that is just a given... ya know, i think he would be a really good safety....

bastards...

Lulz. We have a lot of runway with this one.

On a serious note, I appreciate your insight on local prospects. Here's to UT having much more success with LT players in the future.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

You think? I’ve only seen his hudl once and it was a little while ago but I thought most of his best plays were when he lined up deep. He didn’t seem to have the foot speed to be an every down CB to me and he also seemed to struggle to turn and make a play on the ball. Whereas when he lined up deep, he seemed to see the field well and make quick breaks. He reminds a lot of Davante Davis, who I’m not all that high on. Against certain teams, he would eat up the short stuff, like bubble routes but can be compromised if he’s put in space without help. To me, you have to scheme to protect that type of guy, which isn’t ideal.

Agreed. Although a skinny, undersized DB should do his beer at camp. I’ll be curious to see his senior film, but I haven’t been all that impressed by what I’ve seen so far.

The hudl is short, but I found more highlights digging around looking at teammates or opponents highlights. I think his quick feet, change of direction, and fluid hips say corner. Keep in mind he's playing against elite competition. He does have terrible ball skills. Get used to him getting into great position for interceptions only to drop them. 

Banks might be a guy who's better when he's able to leverage his help in coverage which you get none of in those drills aside from the sideline, and also making quick reads and breaks out of zone, and he's probably great against the run, doesn't make mistakes, etc. He doesn't look like an island corner though. 

Edited by Fud
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

The hudl is short, but I found more highlights digging around looking at teammates or opponents highlights. I think his quick feet, change of direction, and fluid hips say corner. Keep in mind he's playing against elite competition. He does have terrible ball skills. Get used to him getting into great position for interceptions only to drop them. 

Banks might be a guy who's better when he's able to leverage his help in coverage which you get none of in those drills aside from the sideline, and also making quick reads and breaks out of zone, and he's probably great against the run, doesn't make mistakes, etc. He doesn't look like an island corner though. 

Good stuff. I'll probably do a little more digging on Watson when he commits.

Same with Banks. I haven't seen a ton of him so I could be off.