Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Seems like quite the renaissance man....

Wolfe said if it’s not in God’s plan for him to make it to the NFL he plans to become a brain surgeon.

A cousin of his who’s a brain surgeon always shares “inspiring stories” with Wolfe and that’s what struck his interest in brain surgery.

Make no mistake about it though, god willing, Wolfe has every intention on making it to the NFL.

Wolfe’s love for football runs so deep that he back peddles to his kitchen every morning as if he were defending a receiver on the field.

“Football is my life, it’s all I know,” Wolfe said. “If I didn’t have football I don’t know where I’d be. I would probably be dead or in jail locked up somewhere. Football is everything.”

6 minutes ago, futureman said:

way to go out on a limb there

Well, I figured as sure as I said we signed "better" safeties, someone would point to O'Neal's national ranking and would say, "Let's see how their careers play out before crowing about how much better our guys are." Although I fully expect Foster and/or Sterns to be better in college and in the pros.  

Judging by his social media, this Californian seems to love Texas: https://247sports.com/player/jordan-patterson-89526

Patterson visited Texas at the end of March. I haven't seen his testing numbers, but he's a pretty good sized kid. He could be an interesting big safety or Rover candidate. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

17 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Judging by his social media, this Californian seems to love Texas: https://247sports.com/player/jordan-patterson-89526

Patterson visited Texas at the end of March. I haven't seen his testing numbers, but he's a pretty good sized kid. He could be an interesting big safety or Rover candidate. 

A Californian wants to come to Austin?  Sheeet.  That'll never happen.

18 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Herman blitzing the state of CA is absolutely tremendous and UT should've been doing this for the last 20 years.  It's one of the three most talent-rich states, but it's easier than to pull kids OOS from there than Texas (2 good recruiting schools in state and ever blue blood in the country tries to recruit here) or Florida (3 good recruiting schools and kids seem hesitant to leave the south).  In CA, USC is obviously a blue blood and we won't bat a very high percentage when going up directly against them, DeGabriel Floyd notwithstanding, but they recruit nationally and can only take so many good players. Schools like UCLA and Stanford aren't dominant recruiting powers in-state and kids in CA are pretty hesitant to go cross-county to cold northern schools or schools in the south. 

Oklahoma has been taking advantage of this for years but it's easier to pull a CA kid to Austin than Norman (unless maybe they're from Bakersfield).  The state of Texas will have weak spots every year and we need to hit up CA and Louisiana to supplement those spots every year.  

I've been incredibly impressed with Herman. He gets it. He knows how to manage a massive football program, like UT.  It's frustrating because he seems to be doing every single thing right, except getting wins. I don't like that Beck is still our OC, and I think our offense will once again pull down our ceiling significantly but if Herman can just get to 9 wins against a fairly easy schedule and then get a better OC next year, he could really get this train moving.  And if he does, I don't foresee this thing stopping for many, many years. 

• Like 6

Craven predicts his top ten (shitty rankings, and I have no idea what kind of recruiting insight he has, but whatever)

1) Whittington- Texas

2) Henderson- OU

3) Leal- Texas 

4) Williams- A&M

5) Green- Texas

6) Wease- OU

7) Wilson- Texas

8) Nana- Texas

9) Gunnell- Ohio State

10) Stogner- OU

https://www.hookem.com/story/dotted-line-will-top-10-players-fabulous-55-commit/

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Craven predicts his top ten (shitty rankings, and I have no idea what kind of recruiting insight he has, but whatever)

1) Whittington- Texas

2) Henderson- OU

3) Leal- Texas 

4) Williams- A&M

5) Green- Texas

6) Wease- OU

7) Wilson- Texas

8) Nana- Texas

9) Gunnell- Ohio State

10) Stogner- OU

https://www.hookem.com/story/dotted-line-will-top-10-players-fabulous-55-commit/

I'll take that

I thought there would be a more or less even split between Texas, A&M, OU, and the field this cycle for the top 30 (the real top 30) in-state prospects, especially after A&M looked good early for a bunch of them, but it's looking like we have a chance to get half 

Jimbo basically blew his load right out of the gate and as usual aggy started puffing their chests out like they were going to sweep the state in February, because they’re retards. What a shocker that everything changed on a dime once Herman started to implement his system for this cycle.

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

I thought there would be a more or less even split between Texas, A&M, OU, and the field this cycle for the top 30 (the real top 30) in-state prospects, especially after A&M looked good early for a bunch of them, but it's looking like we have a chance to get half 

I figured something similar, but this staff can flat out recruit. It’s even more impressive when you consider that the staff has non-offered/stayed away from a significant number of top 30 recruits.

26 minutes ago, Fud said:

1) Whittington- Texas

2) Henderson- OU

3) Leal- Texas 

4) Williams- A&M

5) Green- Texas

6) Wease- OU

7) Wilson- Texas

8) Nana- Texas

9) Gunnell- Ohio State

10) Stogner- OU

Would be funny if the only top 20 guy they get this cycle plays the same position as the only top 10 player they got last cycle. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It appears that Herman is finding a groove and an identity for how he wants to recruit at Texas, and it's a pretty good moat against negative recruiting and pitches from other programs. He's doing a few things that are really important:

1. Identifying players that they absolutely do not want and playing a role in directing them elsewhere. Others do this, but he's doing it as a fired volley in order to actually pursue similar players that UT covets.
  2. Identifying players that are the highest priority and building a full pitch to each of them in a bespoke manner, based on legitimate personal research. Some of the analysts get this started on freshman and sophomore players. It's one thing to talk up Austin or tradition or show hot girls on campus, it's another to introduce players to professors from fields in which they've expressed interest, to put together a suite of high quality unique graphics, or show film of specific opportunities/issues with current talent and juxtapose/compare that to the recruit's role in the same situation.
  3. Going with the "I don't have a game" approach, which is the greatest game to play. Offering up total transparency around where recruits would fit on the depth chart is one thing, telling them where they fit on the recruiting board when they're not number 1 is another. Involving the parents and walking everyone through statistics about percentage of players who make the NFL vs. enter the work force, and then comparing that to other schools and average salaries, etc. Showing them that Billy Sims has been homeless in the not too distant past and that Earl Campbell still gets paid a salary is quite a contrast. 

With Saban and Swinney around, he's not unique in being thorough, but it is a difference compared to other staffs directly east in BCS and Baton Rouge. 

It also helps to establish relationships with trainers, 7x7 crews, uncles, etc., given that this is college football at this point. 

Tell me more about how #1 works.

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It appears that Herman is finding a groove and an identity for how he wants to recruit at Texas, and it's a pretty good moat against negative recruiting and pitches from other programs. He's doing a few things that are really important:

1. Identifying players that they absolutely do not want and playing a role in directing them elsewhere. Others do this, but he's doing it as a fired volley in order to actually pursue similar players that UT covets.
  2. Identifying players that are the highest priority and building a full pitch to each of them in a bespoke manner, based on legitimate personal research. Some of the analysts get this started on freshman and sophomore players. It's one thing to talk up Austin or tradition or show hot girls on campus, it's another to introduce players to professors from fields in which they've expressed interest, to put together a suite of high quality unique graphics, or show film of specific opportunities/issues with current talent and juxtapose/compare that to the recruit's role in the same situation.
  3. Going with the "I don't have a game" approach, which is the greatest game to play. Offering up total transparency around where recruits would fit on the depth chart is one thing, telling them where they fit on the recruiting board when they're not number 1 is another. Involving the parents and walking everyone through statistics about percentage of players who make the NFL vs. enter the work force, and then comparing that to other schools and average salaries, etc. Showing them that Billy Sims has been homeless in the not too distant past and that Earl Campbell still gets paid a salary is quite a contrast. 

With Saban and Swinney around, he's not unique in being thorough, but it is a difference compared to other staffs directly east in BCS and Baton Rouge. 

It also helps to establish relationships with trainers, 7x7 crews, uncles, etc., given that this is college football at this point. 

Good stuff, ctj, per usual.  Thanks for taking the time, yada yada, etc.

If you come to the realization that a player is probably going to wind up being a cultural problem or worse, be clear in the intent to not recruit the guy and let him pursue his other local choices. Find the facsimile of said player without the baggage and recruit that guy. Marcel Brooks and Beason to some degree each fit this. I think Carter does as well.  I'd like to say this is true of Austin Stogner, but he pretty much was born to be a sooner. 

There's also an opposite play to make later on in the cycle, and we saw some of that last year. Maintain low key conversations with recruits that wind up committing to ATM, TCU, OU, and LSU and then turn up the heat during the season or shortly thereafter so that those programs have to go spend a disproportionate amount of time keeping those guys happy versus pursuing open recruitments that involve UT as well. You absolutely have to have high quality analyst-level talent to pull this off. Carrington, Chang, and Langi fit that bill. Texas is going to add to that and the other guys are playing from behind. 

If all of that is truly part of a strategy, then the credit for being intelligent that Herman receives from everywhere and pours onto himself is actually deserved on some level. It's hard for me to believe that a coach is really capable of thinking in these layers but I guess Billy Martin did and Nick Saban does, so there you go.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

Tell me more about how #1 works.

There are a few players this year that Herman and staff were simply not going to recruit to play at Texas. Some from the drop and some after meeting with the player and/or talking with people not in their direct circle (school counselor, etc). It had nothing to do with their on-field play and while other coaches generally avoid the awkward conversations around why they aren't being pursued further at the risk pissing off a player, a trainer, a parent -- Herman and Yancy are more than straight with them. Further they have pointed out that removing the player from their current circles will be beneficial to them as young men moving forward. Actively giving them direction instead of simply hitting silent mode on their recruitment, despite the fact that there was nothing that this player could do to get back into mix at Texas. One of the trainers that has been very anti-Texas and anti-Herman has come around not because Herman is recruiting more of his kids or blowing smoke up his ass but because McKnight told that kid in no uncertain terms that he needed to remove his head from his ass wherever he ends up because he's already given up the opportunity at Texas and he didn't want to see him throw his life away. 

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, T&T’s Dad said:

Aggy’s edit game is putrid...

It's like they are not even trying.

If they figure it out in a few months and go out and hire somebody who knows what they hell they are doing when it comes to graphics, Herman will just move on to the next thing and have his edits accompanied by actual explosions that create fiery infernos or live mariache bands or whatever. The Ags will never catch up.  Herm is always thinking ahead proactively, always saying "what else can we do? Where can we go with this?"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I really, really hope Herman can get this thing turned around on the field, because it's obvious (at least at this point) that he is damn near perfect for this job off of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

There are a few players this year that Herman and staff were simply not going to recruit to play at Texas. Some from the drop and some after meeting with the player and/or talking with people not in their direct circle (school counselor, etc). It had nothing to do with their on-field play and while other coaches generally avoid the awkward conversations around why they aren't being pursued further at the risk pissing off a player, a trainer, a parent -- Herman and Yancy are more than straight with them. Further they have pointed out that removing the player from their current circles will be beneficial to them as young men moving forward. Actively giving them direction instead of simply hitting silent mode on their recruitment, despite the fact that there was nothing that this player could do to get back into mix at Texas. One of the trainers that has been very anti-Texas and anti-Herman has come around not because Herman is recruiting more of his kids or blowing smoke up his ass but because McKnight told that kid in no uncertain terms that he needed to remove his head from his ass wherever he ends up because he's already given up the opportunity at Texas and he didn't want to see him throw his life away. 

I'm a big fan of the OKG approach. 

Who was the kid that we 'redirected'? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

I don't recall why Isaiah Spiller is not being recruited. Herman likes a slot WR that has the ability to do things in the backfield and Spiller seems to fit that mold. Just higher targets on the board or off field issues?

https://247sports.com/player/isaiah-spiller-46039053

He's an A&M legacy.