Texas recruiting notes 2019

5 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

In terms of freakish athletic ability but being a raw receiver, is Wright the 2019 version of Tommy Bush?

I think he's much further along and ready to play as a WR than Bush was regards to route running (not that he's particularly great at it, but Bush was a zero in that regard), and he shows more ball skills, coordination, and is one of the better jump ball guys you'll see. Bush was more explosive (phrasing). 

If anyone is Bush this cycle, it might be Genson Hooper-Price (h/t to Nahlin for this comp)

Edited by Fud

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think he's much further along and ready to play as a WR than Bush was regards to route running (not that he's particularly great at it, but Bush was a zero in that regard), and he shows more ball skills, coordination, and is one of the better jump ball guys you'll see. Bush was more explosive (phrasing). 

If anyone is Bush this cycle, it might be Genson Hooper-Price (h/t to Nahlin for this comp)

The most interesting thing to me in regard to Bush is whether or not he can catch the frigging ball. He'll either be a boom or a bust because of that. His future reminds me of John Burt's.

Wright is WAAAYYY further along in his development. 

This staff's approach is next level everywhere. Do you know how big this kind of thing is with both recruits and parents? Not to mention the active roster and all that they are getting out of it. Killing it with truth. Selling Texas. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, golfclap said:

This staff's approach is next level everywhere. Do you know how big this kind of thing is with both recruits and parents? Not to mention the active roster and all that they are getting out of it. Killing it with truth. Selling Texas. 

Night and day from previous tenures.  Herman is exploiting every advantage UT and Austin provide. It's really something to behold. 

Now go win.

• Like 1

Holy shit.

That is how you win recruiting battles.

IT

STATE OF RECRUITING

Don't expect too much of recruiting weekend on Saturday and Sunday, with the Texas staff hosting their Coaches Clinic. But the ones scheduled are very notable and will be nice to see them back on the 40 Acres.

Zachary Evans, RB - GP North Shore (2020): The likely top in-state sophomore will be on campus Saturday to watch practice, visit with staffers. He took in Texas A&M's practice yesterday and had nice things to say about the Aggies. He's also scheduled to attend their spring game next weekend. At the moment, I don't think A&M is a real threat, but for a 2020, it's really too early to make that distinction. Evans and Texas continue to look good and that shouldn't change anytime soon.

Javonne Shepherd, OL - Houston North Forest (2019): The big offensive tackle from H-town was supposed to visit last weekend, but it looks like he'll make that trip this weekend. Shepherd, like Kenyon Green, once viewed as A&M leans aren't really viewed in that light any longer. This is where Herb Hand is chopping up the competition. Once these hog-mollies get to Austin, allegiances seem to change, especially with these two. Whether he makes an appearance on Saturday or not, Texas looks fine and dandy here.

Dylan Wright, WR - West Mesquite (2019): The most physically gifted wide receiver take in-state for 2019, Dylan (DAY-lon) will be back in Austin for the first time since attending Junior Day weekend. He's been a world traveler lately. Michigan, Notre Dame, and Ohio State received visits recently. The Wrights are taking the tours. At the end of the day, Texas has put themselves in a position to nab the 6-foot-4 freak athlete. He's got some Charlie Rogers to his game with his size, speed, and body control. Texas wants four wide receivers in 2019 and Wright is one of them. A class of Whittington, Wright, Wilson, and Higgins would be the ideal haul for its next class.

Alec Bryant, DL - Shadow Creek (2020): After visiting Texas last month with Gameplan University (Houston area trainer), Bryant gave Texas and Oscar Giles high praise. When evaluating sophomore d-linemen you must account for the growth curve and size potential. At 6-foot-2, 230, the weakside end from Pearland has a high motor, something that strikes you on film. TCU, Oregon State, and Tulsa have already offered. I don't anticipate a Texas offer, but they'll continue to build the relationship.

Hayden Conner, OL - Katy Taylor (2021): Despite the fact this kid has a maroon-colored bedroom, Texas doesn't care. They'll continue to recruit one of the top freshman offensive linemen in the nation. Texas actually has a better shot with teammate and fellow 2021 lineman, Bryce Foster, who is more open to the process. After a conversation with Herb Hand, we'll check in with Conner. It is encouraging that Conner continues to make trips to Texas and we believe with his dad's input and familiarity with the process they'll give Texas a fair shake.

Jordan Whittington, WR - Cuero (2019) (TEXAS): The Horns' lone wide receiver pledge is a maybe for this weekend. His recruiting efforts aren't going unnoticed.

Kenean Caldwell, DT - Oak Grove, LA (2020): The 6-foot-3, 285-pound interior monster from Da Boot is meaner than a hangry pitbull. He holds offers from Ole Miss, Colorado, and Louisiana-Monroe. He visited A&M yesterday so he's making his rounds through the state. This kid can play. It would behoove the Horns to look really hard here. Only a junior-to-be, the defensive line crop in Louisiana is loaded. While that's not normally news, UT has started planting seeds with the early elites, like Haynesville's Cam'Ron Jackson. Just need to harvest in a few seasons.

WHERE THINGS STAND WITH....

While many recruits have a solid decision timeline, two of UT's top targets might not.

DeMarvin Leal and Tyler Johnson give off the vibe they could drop at anytime. Where does Texas stand with both? Front and center.

Leal snuck on campus last weekend and really enjoyed the visit. He's been to Austin a few times this year and there's a continuing sense UT is the team to beat. Texas A&M and Alabama will make their pushes, but Herman's Heroes have separated from the pack, which is something you couldn't have said with certainty last month. The biggest boost is from DeMarvin's mother. The staff is prioritizing her and it's working.

The Converse Judson 5-star junior defensive lineman doesn't have an exact decision date, but I feel like he's the type that could wake up one morning and make the call and commit. It already happened with T'Vondre Sweat. UT looks really good here.

As for the 2019 Conroe Oak Ridge offensive tackle, Texas and Tyler make too much sense. The staff made it known very early how important his signature will be and are staying the course. After visiting Austin last month with his family for some one-on-one with Herb Hand, Johnson left knowing Austin could very well be the spot. It might be time to dust off the TI-81.

On Austin Bowie junior WR Elijah Higgins, I'm hearing he's slowing down his recruitment ever so slightly. Once on commitment alert, I think the 6-foot-4, 230-pound pass-catcher is just carefully evaluating his options. He'll probably take a few visits, including Stanford. Regardless, the smart money is on Texas, that hasn't changed.

Speaking to Lewisville Hebron elite 2020 safety Darius Snow this week, he mentioned he might make the Orange-White scrimmage on 4/21. Stanford offered this week so his recruitment is going exactly how we thought it would; large. Some pegged him as a linebacker, but he quickly refuted that. He wants to be a defensive back, either at safety or nickel. Coach Naivar continues to build a great relationship with the son of a former NBA guard (Eric Snow) and nephew of an NFL LB (Percy Snow). He's my top safety in Texas for his class, with Duncanville's Chris Thompson a notch behind.

9 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I'm hoping it's Leal.  Super K says it's a nationally ranked recruit and won't go public this month.  Maybe he takes his OV's soon then commits.

I hope so too, he's the top recruit we need to land this year IMO. 

Edit: And Bragg

Edited by TankedBevo

10 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

I hope so too, he's the top recruit we need to land this year IMO. 

Edit: And Bragg

Seriously Bragg.  Seems like it's been wayyy too quite on that front with some false sense of Texas lean a few months back.  Good to hear a little more traction is being made.  I don't want Stanford to get too buddy-buddy with him.

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

Foswhitt, straight outta pearland