Texas recruiting notes 2019

IT

Bru McCoy, Noah Cain, Jacoby Jones, Isaiah Hookfin - the next 30+ days will go a long way toward how the Class of 2019 finishes, at least initially, on NSD1 (12/19). Of the committed players, we feel mostly good they'll sign early, but Texas has a battle on its hands with Tennessee for Kenyatta Watson II.

The Vols have four-star Grayson (GA) offensive lineman Wanya Morris committed and are "close to flipping" 5-star linebacker Owen Pappoe. It remains to be seen if they can pull that off. Those two are very close with KW2. If you ask Kenyatta where he's signing, he'll say Hook'em. But you watch his public visits and we'll watch his private ones. There could likely be two officials used in the next few weeks. He plans on faxing his LOI on 12/19, so Texas only has to hold on for the next month. We feel like Texas is still the likely destination but it's one we've been watching for weeks now.

The JUCO linebacker Texas not only wants but needs - Caleb Johnson - is set to see Oregon later this month. Here's something; UO has at least four linebackers committed and not the immediate need Texas has, so early playing time isn't a given with the Ducks like it is in Austin. Because of UT's advantage in prioritizing him we feel pretty good about UT's chances, though his visit to Oregon looms. That visit was changed from November 17th to November 30th. That gives the Oregon staff more time to work on Johnson if they choose.

Coincidentally, JUCO defensive line target Jacoby Jones, who is visiting UT this weekend, will visit Eugene next weekend. So UT has not one, but two prospects it needs to beat Oregon out for.

Texas likes, but doesn't love its chances to land each.

TE Jared Wiley, Temple (Temple, TX): The TE-turned-QB-turned-TE is a game day regular on the 40 Acres. Wiley is a prime example of solid scouting by this staff. Him and Brayden Liebrock as a tight end tandem is Derek Warehime living his best life.

OL Javonne Shepherd, North Forest (Houston, TX): He's a maybe. (revisit posts from the last seven months here)

DE Jacoby Jones, Butler C.C. (El Dorado, KS): The recent OU de-commit and lone official visitor is headed back to the 40 Acres for the first time since late May. Texas is the team to beat but Oregon is recruiting at a very high level. Jones still has a red-shirt available making him a 3-for-2 and should be seen as someone who makes a bigger impact after a year or two in the program.

DE Peter Mpgai, George Ranch (Richmond, TX): The 4-star defender didn't make the playoffs so he's headed to DKR tomorrow. If they were all like Mpagi recruiting wouldn't be near the roller coaster ride that it is.

DE Myron Warren, Many (Many, LA): This one is pretty simple; as long as LSU keeps him at arms-length, Texas has the chance to swoop in. The former TCU commit had an impressive senior year to add to his already impressive 4i frame. UT needs this kid in this class more than some realize.

LB De’Gabriel Floyd, Westlake (Westlake Village, CA): SURPRISE VISITOR, BC. He's home, and the whole time he's probably just been moving his stuff into Jester in 'carry-on' increments. This trip was a mini-fridge. Last trip he brought the tupperware. He should be about moved in by now. Hopefully he's spending quality time with the playbook this weekend. And no, your 'can he suit up this weekend?' joke is not funny.

QB Hudson Card, Lake Travis (Austin, TX): The first pledge of 2020 lives down the street. He'll probably walk.

RB Zach Evans, Galena Park North Shore (Houston, TX): It's a big deal anytime Zach Evans is on campus. Every single time. Have the o-line blow open some holes and get the running game going.

OL Smart Chibuzo, Fort Bend Hightower (Missouri City, TX) The early A&M pledge is just another one of the good-to-great OL crop in-state for 2020. Texas offered hours before he committed to Jimbo Fisher. They knew the commitment was coming, they just wanted to get their name in the hat for down the road.

OL Akinola Ogunbiyi, Fort Bend Kempner (Sugar Land, TX): The other early A&M pledge in Footwork King's car is another good guard prospect. Same story as Chibuzo and they even committed to A&M on the same day. He's been hearing from UT quite a bit of late, and is also being pursued by OU. There are a lot of options in state but this is a recruitment that could heat up.

OL Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek (League City, TX): He's been such a priority for a while we all know the deal here. He'll have a thorough process and make a well informed decision. It will likely boil down to UT versus Stanford. UT needs a lot of small positive interactions over time and this is the opportunity for one more.

OL Cedric Melton, Klein Cain (Houston, TX): He's a bit of a developmental project they've been keeping tabs on for a while. He has a great 4i frame but projects better to offensive tackle. The kid loves UT. I think they already suspect he's going to be someone who breaks out as a senior.

OL Logan Parr, O’Connor (San Antonio, TX): The other 2020 pledge isn't missing the Big 12 Championship semifinal.

C Braedon Nutter, Memorial (Tomball, TX): Herb Hand likes him at center but he talks with both Hand and Oscar Giles. His projection is pretty clearly offense and he'll play on whatever side of the ball he's needed. He says his offer from Colorado was as a defensive tackle and the one from U of H is for center. Schools he hears from the most include Arkansas, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Texas Tech, Purdue, and some Ivy's.

DE Vernon Broughton, Cypress Ridge (Houston, TX): Stud. I've had a couple college coaches tell me he could have a DeMarvin Leal type jump from his junior to senior year. This kid is really important to the success of the 2020 haul. Texas has been on him about as long as anyone. Mom gave up her profession to spend more time with her children, so, how far do you think she'll want him to go for school?

CB Kelee Ringo, Saguaro (Scottsdale, AZ): Blue chip. One of the best defensive backs in the nation. Texas is Raising Arizona after snagging Smith and Liebrock in 2019 and looking at Ringo. Former Horn, Bryant Westbrook, is his DB coach. Getting him to the ATX this early is an underrated data point.

ATH Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage (Carthage, TX): At 6-foot-1, 170, Keaontay's little brother is starting to look like the college prospect we always thought he'd be. From a recruiting standpoint, the young slot is hearing from Washington and Utah along with his half dozen offers, but this is what I call a layup.

WR Dylan Goffney, Cypress Bridgeland (Cypress, TX): This kid can scoot. His 2022 QB - Connor Weigman - is also a name to remember. They both really like Texas.

LB Kendrick Blackshire, Horn (Mesquite, TX): He's a maybe. Blackshire is a dog on the football field without a clear position in college. He's likely a defensive lineman at the next level, but still two years away. He has some grown man to his game and frame.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bevo said:

We are having some surprising difficulty in closing out the class. Caleb, Jacoby, Hookfin, Shepherd, Watson, Bru, Cunningham, Williams (?) are all pretty important.

Recruiting is getting tense heading into NSD. News at 11.

(Our class is actually pretty solid, considering. We have a whole one wavering recruit (not counting Shepherd's dramatics))

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Recruiting is getting tense heading into NSD. News at 11.

(Our class is actually pretty solid, considering. We have a whole one wavering recruit (not counting Shepherd's dramatics))

Yeah, I'm not meaning to sound dramatic or hand-ringing. I just find it a little unsettled considering our record and upward trend in play. I would expect Hookfin to jump on the offer. And, we are desperate for a lb, DE and a few linemen.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, I'm not meaning to sound dramatic or hand-ringing. I just find it a little unsettled considering our record and upward trend in play. I would expect Hookfin to jump on the offer. And, we are desperate for a lb, DE and a few linemen.

I'm desperate for you to stop acting like a hand-wringing pussy. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Hookfin is starting to get offers from everyone - even if the Texas offer is the one he most coveted - its in his best interest to do all the research he can and then make his decision.  No need to rush into it - and I'm sure the Texas coaches have told him as much.  I have no doubt that once it come time to make that decision - he'll decide Texas.

14 minutes ago, Bevo said:

This is not 2015. We are not desperate for any position. Texas is in the talent optimization stage at this point. Don’t be such a little bitch. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Best served cold said:

Seeing teams like Pearsall in the playoffs is an absolute joke. They were 4-7 on the year. Hell a local team made the playoffs with 2 wins! When the hell did we go to every damn team making the playoffs? Lets get back to having to win district to make the playoffs. 

Old guy rant over.

Whittington is a beast!

On one hand with you on the record thing but there are plenty of teams who go schedule as hard of a non-district schedule as they can and are happy to go 0 fer in non-district then steamroll from there. 

this is hilarious to me but Tornillo (0-10) is playing Shallowater (10-0) in the playoffs tonight 

article on this kind of thing happening: https://www.gosanangelo.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2018/09/13/mike-lee-odd-world-making-playoffs-before-season-begins-texas-high-school-football-2018-district/1290356002/

For the first time anyone can remember, the UIL intentionally created seven football districts for the 2018 and 2019 seasons so small that every team in the district automatically qualifies for the postseason.

Six of those districts are in West Texas, and proximity is the main reason. Four of the districts are in Class 4A, two are in 3A and one is in 2A.

Though there are plenty of four-team districts in six-man football, only two teams advance to the playoffs.

Four teams from each 11-man football district qualify for the playoffs, which means the 28 teams in these tiny districts created by the UIL realignment in February secured playoff berths seven months before the regular season began.

1 hour ago, Chili dog said:

Two back will be interesting next year with Ingram and Cain (hopefully). We know Ingram will block. Cain has the build to block. The potential multiplicity is intriguing. 

Danny Young, instead of being the "short yardage back" that never gets in for short yardage and fumbled once on a short yardage... He looks like he can play some full back in the split back gun.

57 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

This is not 2015. We are not desperate for any position. Texas is in the talent optimization stage at this point. Don’t be such a little bitch. 

Depends how you look at it. If we ever play Bama or Clemson, we will need to get a pass rush and stop the run on defense and we will need a better LB than Wheeler. On offense, we will need to get a push from the OL. Currently, we aren't doing those things.

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

CTJ ...Rockin' great info..... 🤘

Always a concern for an out of state player like Watson when the Father might be looking to be rewarded as well....... Vols will keep the pressure on here.

Shepherd has some maturity issues..... definitely concerns there. Got to get Hookfin, JUCO Caleb Johnson (LB), JUCO Jacoby Jones (SDE), and hopefully Cain.

Great take on Epps " as something like LJH and not as a TE".  Makes me wonder if a Grad Transfer blocking TE is added.

Any more thoughts on positions that HORNS might look to add  Grad Transfer players?

Only problem is epps doesn't possess a 40 time under 5 flat

3 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Well that's impossible because surly has assured me Helton needs to barely hang on for us to have a shot with Bru. I still think him being fired gives us the strongest chance. Relationship vs no relationship.

Agreed. Here's to hoping a hapless UCLA funds a way to win and that ND beats the shit out of them 

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Looks like Watson will be at Tennessee tomorrow from looking at a Vols board.  They think they already have him and Pappoe in the bag.  Here's to hoping Jeff Locke throws all over them.

Texas opponent’s QB throws all over us = opportunity for early playing time!

Tenn opponent’s QB throws all over them = don’t go there they’re shitty.

did I do that right?

• Like 1