Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

6 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

I don’t mind Lewis honestly. More of a project but he’ll be hungry coming from a small school. 

With Washington a flip risk, Powell and Houston gone, and Bru unlikely, we flat out need numbers at outside WR.

I'm fine with taking Lewis.

Edited by Machinator

Just now, RGBIII said:

Powell always seemed like a weird take, especially if they were really going to waste time letting him play QB. I doubt the shh today was Lewis or any Powell replacement 

Yeah. In the end this one seemed like someone was going to be disappointed in the end. We don’t need him at Qb. If that what he wants then it’s better he do that somewhere else. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

With Washington a flip risk, Powell and Houston gone, and Bru unlikely, we flat out need numbers at outside WR.

I'm fine with taking Lewis.

The thought of Washington possibly flipping and like you said bru not being likely, which leaves us with,

Smith, Whittington and Lewis(?) going into the new year. That’s not too good. 

1 minute ago, DoneWithit said:

The thought of Washington possibly flipping and like you said bru not being likely, which leaves us with,

We'll see if they run after someone like Anderson or Ellis, or if they settle for 3 WRs and go big next year.

7 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Yeah, but Powell wasn't going to solve that issue if he wanted to play QB. 

Powell has physical tools but Texas should have just taken Lewis months ago because he actually wants to play at a position of need. But maybe Texas is fine with Lewis and there was no harm in slow playing him. 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Matt Rhule is not going to play that kid at QB for more than one spring practice.

People say this but if he really wants to play QB forcing him to change positions that early is going to likely lead to a transfer. 

He obviously wants to play QB or he wouldn't be putting up this much of a fuss during the recruiting process. 

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, but Powell wasn't going to solve that issue if he wanted to play QB. 

Powell has physical tools but Texas should have just taken Lewis months ago because he actually wants to play at a position of need. But maybe Texas is fine with Lewis and there was no harm in slow playing him. 

I think we all kinda looked at the situation and thought that yeah he wants to play qb but looking at the qb room at Texas, there’s got be something we don’t know between Texas and him. So him being a receiver or CB was in the future. 

But obviously that wasn’t the case and he really wanted to play qb. Makes you think why he even committed to Texas in the first place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skyline said:

If PP wants to go to Baylor..... so be it.    Think his Dad went to Baylor too.     Better he go to another school than come to Texas and not be happy as a Longhorn....  Someone  posted a comment earlier about how DKR felt about Recruiting.  

Something like:   Recruiting is more about the Players you do sign....... than the Players that you miss out on. 🤘

Edited by LTtxfan

7 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

I think we all kinda looked at the situation and thought that yeah he wants to play qb but looking at the qb room at Texas, there’s got be something we don’t know between Texas and him. So him being a receiver or CB was in the future. 

But obviously that wasn’t the case and he really wanted to play qb. Makes you think why he even committed to Texas in the first place. 

The next Johnny F’n Manziel if he goes aggy. 

11 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

I think it was obvious Texas was telling him he would get a shot at QB but the long-term plan was to eventually move him to WR or DB. I'm pretty sure multiple sites even said that was the turning point in the Powell recruitment.....when Texas started selling him on the idea of getting a chance at QB. 

The Powell stuff doesn't really bother me as long as they land someone like Kennedy Lewis. That's probably my biggest issue here is they were slow playing a guy that actually wants to play a position of need who isn't going to play grab ass at another position for 2 or 3 years where we don't need him. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

That's where I'm at. It's not like there's been any change to our QB room since he committed. A little mystifying.

Texas probably offered him but didn’t expect him to commit that early. The fast commit looked like he was on the visit high and pulled the trigger early.