Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 hours ago, TexasRenegade said:

Been ruminating on Neal and I am not worried about him for 2 reasons.

2) Ron Tatum

I really don’t think Mrs. Giles is going to appreciate Oscar dating a recruits mom. Nonetheless, time for her to take one for the program.

Edited by Sgt. Slaughter
Cuz

50 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Couple of ranking updates:  Wilson is approaching composite 5*, Higgins jumped about 300 points in composite, JUCO DE we offered is a 4*, Cain took a drop, and Watson is still a 3*/#511 player in nation by 247.

The Watson thing is absurd. I wonder if the 247 guys just don't like his dad. 

Any news on the JUCO (Jermaine Johnson I believe) front of late? I haven't been on 247 in years, so it's not as easy to find national news 

12 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Interesting. He's supposed to be at Oregon this weekend. 

His hudl is ok. Really long DB who doesn't look like a lock to stick at corner, but maybe he's blooming on the spring circuit 

EJ after dark: Another Cali visitor?

— Per a source close to his recruitment, four-star Mayfair (Calif.) defensive back Chris Adimora plans to make it to Austin this weekend for the Longhorns spring game. Adimora picked up an offer from Texas in February, and the Longhorns are pushing for his services. USC is currently considered the frontrunner in his recruitment, but he is open to exploring schools further away from home.

— According to a source close to the recruitment of Amite (La.) defensive tackle Ishmael Sopsher, the five-star recruit was contemplating making a visit to Texas this weekend. Sopsher will not make it in, but he will likely be on the Forty Acres in the summer. With all of this said, Alabama and LSU seem to be the leaders in this recruitment.

— Texas recently missed out on top tight end target Baylor Cupp. So where do the Longhorns go from here? I’m told there is legitimate interest from Tampa Jesuit (Fla.) tight end Larry Hodges. In fact, I have heard that Oklahoma and Texas will likely receive official visits and might be the two schools that are the biggest threats to pry him away from the Hurricanes.

— Texas recently hosted grad transfer slot receiver Tabari Hines for an official visit. Hines has been pretty quiet since his trip to Austin, but he did make another official visit to Oregon over the weekend. Hines will be at USC this weekend and will make a decision soon after. Right now, I am hearing that Oregon has the lead in this recruitment. I don’t feel like Hines will land at Texas at this time.

— Per a source close to his recruitment, four-star Mayfair (Calif.) defensive back Chris Adimora plans to make it to Austin this weekend for the Longhorns spring game. Adimora picked up an offer from Texas in February, and the Longhorns are pushing for his services. USC is currently considered the frontrunner in his recruitment, but he is open to exploring schools further away from home.
— According to a source close to the recruitment of Amite (La.) defensive tackle Ishmael Sopsher, the five-star recruit was contemplating making a visit to Texas this weekend. Sopsher will not make it in, but he will likely be on the Forty Acres in the summer. With all of this said, Alabama and LSU seem to be the leaders in this recruitment.
— Texas recently missed out on top tight end target Baylor Cupp. So where do the Longhorns go from here? I’m told there is legitimate interest from Tampa Jesuit (Fla.) tight end Larry Hodges. In fact, I have heard that Oklahoma and Texas will likely receive official visits and might be the two schools that are the biggest threats to pry him away from the Hurricanes.
— Texas recently hosted grad transfer slot receiver Tabari Hines for an official visit. Hines has been pretty quiet since his trip to Austin, but he did make another official visit to Oregon over the weekend. Hines will be at USC this weekend and will make a decision soon after. Right now, I am hearing that Oregon has the lead in this recruitment. I don’t feel like Hines will land at Texas at this time.

This seems awfully similar to the articles we make fun of Perroni for. Essentially, “here are some names...none of them are actually going to sign with Texas.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Anybody know what Stanford has to offer versus Texas?

I keed. Fatwah against anyone taking question seriously.

The weather is beautiful and the academics are great and they have a tree and a color for a mascot. And the women are fabulous. And East Palo Alto trim is just across 101. What is not to like?

• Fuck You 4

26 minutes ago, Bevo said:

The weather is beautiful and the academics are great and they have a tree and a color for a mascot. And the women are fabulous. And East Palo Alto trim is just across 101. What is not to like?

The women may be fine, but there is NO way they are on our level. Maybe you are just referring to California girls? 

That aside  - for the exception of not being a Blue Blood - I get the allure of Stanford. 

• Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Hide contents

Name?  Shropshire Slasher

Occupation?  Shropshire Slasher

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, longhrnfan said:

The women may be fine, but there is NO way they are on our level. Maybe you are just referring to California girls? 

That aside  - for the exception of not being a Blue Blood - I get the allure of Stanford. 

and ... my post gets "hates." Didn't think it was that controversial. 

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/04/open-post-weekend-april-20th-22nd/

– Recently, I spoke with 2019 OT, Stacey Wilkins (Camden, AR). Wilkins is coming off his first official visit to Oklahoma.

He is set to take an official visit this upcoming weekend to Alabama. Wilkins says the very next weekend, May 4th – 6th, he will be in Austin for a return visit to Texas. This upcoming visit will be an official visit.

Wilkins says he will take his remaining two official visits in the fall. However, in terms of a decision timeline, he expects to be ready to make a decision in May following his official visit to Texas.

While Wilkins did not come out and list his top schools, it seems fairly obvious than some of the major players in the recruitment are Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma and Alabama.

Again, currently, Texas is scheduled to get the final official visit before he makes his announcement. – (Super K)

*Continue to hear that Texas is going to really need to make a big impression on Garrett Wilson, this upcoming weekend. The Ohio State visit went as well as it could have.

Interestingly, Wilson has previously noted that he wants to make sure he gets his decision right the first time. So, should Wilson choose Ohio State, I don’t believe, by any stretch, that it would be over.

*As you all know by now, the new came out that DeMarvin Leal has committed to Texas A&M. Obviously, this makes Marcus Stripling an even bigger priority. Stripling let me know recently that he is trying to make it to the Spring Game, this weekend. However, he is waiting on confirmation from his parents.

*Related to the note above, the weekend of April 27th-29th is going to be a big one. Already we expect Super Man, Kenyatta Watson on campus. Also expected are Owen PappoeBru McCoy (I know I still owe you all a full write up on McCoy…it’s coming) and if Richardson makes it in, Texas is going to have an opportunity to regain some momentum going into April.

*Checked in with Texas 2019 WR target, Jake Smith. He and his father confirmed that they will take a return visit to Texas this upcoming weekend. Texas needs elite offensive skill position guys in a big way. So, getting Smith back on campus, once again on his own dime, is a great sign. It does sound like they will also be back, at least, once more for an official visit but I plan to speak with them this week to get more details.

*I spoke with a source over at Cal about graduate transfer running back, Tre Watson. Despite the fact that the current staff didn’t recruit Watson, the person I spoke with, who is in the building, had nothing but great things to say about Watson.

Some additional senior leadership and another offensive weapon may be just what the doctor ordered. Still unclear if Texas will offer but since there is a scholarship, it feels like a no brainer. We’ll see. – (Super K)

– Had a lengthy conversation with elite 2019 WR, Jake Smith (Scottsdale, AZ) and his father, recently. I was able to reconfirm that they will be in town this Saturday and Sunday. I’ll have a full write up on Smith either later today or tomorrow but I wanted to note that Texas is in his unreleased top 5. Truth be told, they are very high on the list.

Also, they are looking at a June decision. This weekend will be a great chance for Texas to solidify the top spot. Smith is going to be critical if Texas misses on Wilson. If you haven’t Smith’s film, watch it. He’s moving so fast you’ll think the film was sped up!

– While Javonne Shepherd did confirm he will be at the Texas’ Spring Game, it looks like he will visit Texas A&M on Friday.

I make note of this because it’ll be worth watching to see if TAMU attempts to pressure Shepherd. I’ll be checking with a source on this later today but given what happened with Leal and Richardson, again, something to watch. – (Super K)

– Texas has, so far, missed on two of their top in-state safety targets. Both Brian Williams and Demani Richardson committed, early, to Texas A&M.

There still seems to be the possibility of some movement with Richardson but the Horns are working on some additional targets.

2019 DB, Chris Adimora (Lakewood, CA) let me know that he will visit Texas this upcoming weekend for the Spring Game. Adimore is a highly coveted West Coast prospect with offers from Texas, USC, UCLA, Oregon and many others.

Adimora is a bigger safety like a Demani Richardson. Great speed once he gets going. He reads the play pretty quickly, though not quite like a Jalen Catalon who is about as good as you’ll find a high school prospect in terms of diagnosing a play. However, again, he has more of the physical attributes of a big powerful, fast DB who is still loose in the hips, like a Demani Richardson.

Hope to find out more about Adimore in the coming days. – (Super K)

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, longhrnfan said:

and ... my post gets "hates." Didn't think it was that controversial. 

I think it was more about playing the Stanford thing seriously on this thread again, than anything else. I don't know, I'm not a hater for the most part. That said, I do also feel a compulsion to go through and hate every fucking post about Stanford on this board that doesn't directly deliver information about a recruit for whom UT and Stanford are both competing.

• Like 1

That TFB note on Wilson isn't making any sense to me. He wants to get his decision right the first time...but if he picks tOSU it ain't over?

Smart move by aggy to bring in Shepherd on Friday to talk him out of coming to our spring game. We should have done the same with a few guys last weekend.

OB War Room for people to trash:

(From Suchomel)

Obviously, one of the big recruiting stories we’ll be tracking this weekend will be the official visit of Lake Travis wide receiver 
Garrett Wilson. When we talked to Wilson late this week, he maintained that his mind isn’t made up yet (preview story here if you missed it) and said he’s going into the UT visit with an open mind.

In talking to Ohio State reporters following last weekend’s visit to the Buckeyes, the vibe they were picking up is that OSU took a sizeable lead on this race and Texas would have to really blow Wilson away during his visit to have a chance. This staff has pulled off some major surprises before … we’ll see if it can do it again with the ultra-talented Lake Travis receiver. When I spoke to Wilson, he said it’s not so much about anything Texas can do this weekend, it’s more a big-picture decision for him on where he’ll fit best.

“I don’t really know if it’s what they can say or do. I just want to have a good visit, just see where I can fit in,” Wilson said. “If I feel I can fit in there, that’s what it would come down to.”

As McComas mentioned recently, Texas has approached Wilson about the possibility of playing basketball as well, if that interested in him. When I asked Wilson about that topic this week, it sounds like it’s something that intrigues him but won’t really factor into his decision.

“Coach Smart has been talking to my dad a whole lot. Coach Herman brought that up about a month ago,” Wilson said. “If I wanted the opportunity, it’s there. It’s something I’ll think about, but right now I’m making the decision on football only.”

Wilson plans to announce his decision on Twitter sometime next week.

Top cornerback target Marcus Banks is set to attend Saturday’s UT spring game, which could be a big development as the Spring Dekaney standout also works towards his official visits. The more times Texas can get him on campus, the better, and the staff should have a chance to register another strong impression this weekend.

Banks said this week that he’s been taking a step back from recruiting after the recent passing of his father, but he’s stayed in touch with coaches from Texas, Texas A&M, Auburn, LSU, Penn State and Alabama.

Texas has help in this one from 2018 signee Malcolm Epps, a teammate of Banks’ who has been working on the Longhorns’ behalf. Banks has been picking Epps’ brain about his upcoming UT official visit, which is set for May 4.

“When I talk to Malcolm about it, he said his went well. I try to ask him how goes, he said he had a fun time so I’m excited to see what they have in store for me,” Banks said. “He wants me to pick the school that’s best for me, but he still wants me to go to Texas with him. He always tells me that. He tells me if I don’t go to Texas, he’ll be mad at me.”

Early in the process, Texas looked really good in this one. LSU took the lead, per Banks, after a spring visit there, but he said this week that things have evened out and he’s slowing things down.

“What I’m doing, I’m going to take all my official visits and kind of go from there because I kind of took a step back and reevaluated all the schools that have offered me, trying to make sure I’m making the right choice and wasn’t favoring anybody over the other schools,” Banks said. “After I take all my official visits I’m going to make my decision.”

Banks is trying to get official visits done this spring so he can commit this summer. As of right now, Texas and A&M are the only visits scheduled and he’s trying to sort through his options for his other three. This one continues to feel like it will come down to either Texas, A&M or LSU and with Banks quickly setting up two official visits to UT and A&M, it could very well wind up being an in-state battle. Tough one to call right now but I do like where Texas sits.

2020 North Shore running back Zachary Evans visited UT a couple weeks ago and will be back again on Saturday for the Orange-White game. That can’t be bad. Evans, arguably the best back in the nation for his class, said his most recent visit went very well, further solidifying UT’s position at or near the top of his list.

“I feel like it was better than any other visit because we actually sat and did film this time, straight film. I already knew about the school, but the way he broke it down to me, how I’d be a valuable asset in his offense, it was amazing,” Evans said.

It was Evans, his brother and Texas running backs coach Stan Drayton in the film room. Evans said he feels, based on what he’s seen, that the Texas offense is going to be “very explosive this year” and he’s expecting Texas to rack up a large number of wins this fall.

Evans’ thoughts on Drayton …

“I feel like he’s a very valuable coach. The way he breaks down film is like no other,” Evans said. “It’s very understandable coming from him. Then I feel like as I keep going up there, we bond closer and closer every time.”

It’s early, but Texas is in a great spot on this one and just has to continue building a strong relationship with Evans, something the staff has done a great job with already. A solid showing by the Texas offense this fall won’t hurt, and Evans mentioned he’ll be watching the offensive line play closely to see if it improves. As for the spring game, he said he wants to see how well the offense can do overall.

“I want to see how explosive the running backs are,” he said. “I want to see how well the can overcome adversity. I just want to see the explosion of the whole offense.”

After telling us on Sunday he didn’t have any plans for visits this weekend, five-star offensive lineman Kenyon Green is planning to be in Austin for the Orange-White game.

Texas made a strong move with Green when he visited in early March and I came out of that visit thinking the Longhorns’ chances were as high as anyone’s. When I spoke with Green after a recent Rivals camp and again last weekend at an Under Armour Camp, he was a little more subdued when talking about colleges, including Texas. Needless to say, getting him on campus this weekend could be big for Texas as Herb Hand continues to build a relationship with the Humble Atascocita standout.

One note of interest … I asked Green how much attention he pays to the recruit edits he gets from school, and if he talks to some of the offensive linemen in the state about playing together. He said he does, and mentioned Javonne Shepherd and Andrew Coker as the main two he speaks with.

“I just kind of see where his head is at,” Green said of Shepherd. “That would be great if both of us could play at the same place but it’s his decision and my decision.”

The good news for Texas is that Shepherd is going to be at the spring game on Saturday as well. The bad news is that Shepherd and Coker both hold offers from A&M and both (along with Green) are strongly considering the Aggies.

2020 wide receiver Collin Sullivan will be at the spring game on Saturday. The Round Rock receiver, who is now up to seven offers, said he’s been talking to coaches from several schools, including Texas.

“I’ve been keeping in touch with the schools that have offered, talking to Northwestern, Oregon, I just went to Houston. Arkansas just offered me so that was really good,” Sullivan. “Everything was good. I’m just waiting to see what’s coming next.”

Texas hasn’t offered yet, but Sullivan is hoping that changes in the future and he said he has built a solid relationship with the UT staff.

“I’ve had a good relationship, keeping up with coach Beck and coach Mehringer,” he said. “You just have to stay patient. That’s how they do things. I’ve just been keeping that relationship open.”

If Texas offers, look for the Longhorns to be the team to beat.

“That would be really nice. That’s been like a dream offer,” Sullivan said. “I love it up there. It’s right down the road. That one would be really good.”

• Like 1