Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

36 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

So Orlando may be gone in 2019... but I think he stays for awhile. 

Only reason I say that is because I had a co worker that played for Orlando when he was at UCONN said that he’s just a football and defense animal. And his personality doesn’t really vibe with a HC. This was awhile ago so who knows. He could have changed, probably has, but he has always mainted that his personality has always been a DC guy. 

Well, I believe the original comment was that Orlando would likely be gone by the time the 2019 recruits were vying for meaningful snaps. So by 2021. 

I just think statistically you dont see a lot of Bud Fosters. I mean, Orlando landing at Texas was contingent on him not getting the UH job, which he interviewed for...so the guy wants to be a head coach. Best case is he feels loyalty to Herman, and he is patient to wait for a really really good spot. He's a midwest guy, so even though his alma mater looks stable for the foreseeable future, as do other midwest power house schools in Nebraska, Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State...he'll definitely leave for a job at some point.

• Like 2

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/05/open-post-wednesday-may-30th/

– Earlier this year one of the top five safeties in the nation, Lewis Cine, moved from Massachusetts down to Texas. Since he’s been in the Lone Star State, he has been rather quiet in terms of his recruitment. He has taken some regional visits to schools like Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma. But that’s about it.

When he moved to Texas, Penn State seemed to be school in the lead for his services. That still is likely the case, as he’s had the longest relationship with that staff. And when I talked to him recently, there seems to be three schools sticking out. Penn State, Michigan, and Texas.

Those are the three schools that he says he will definitely visit. And he has an unofficial visit set to Texas too. He’ll be in Austin on June 15th for Tom Herman’s annual summer recruiting event. It will be another opportunity for the staff to sell Cine on staying in Texas for college.

Right now I’d still give Penn State the edge in this recruitment. Though it seems that Texas is the school with the best shot to keep Lewis Cine down South to play college football. – (Andrew)

– Last week, Texas offered in state 2019 speedy wide receiver, Jaylen Ellis (Cedar Ridge). Ellis has been committed to Baylor since last summer.

Ellis is not only an elite athlete with track tested measurables, he’s also an excellent student. I am told that the Texas offer has immediately made a huge impact on Ellis’ recruitment, and while he is still committed to Baylor, things could play out in a positive fashion for the Longhorns if they continue to put in the work here.

While the Texas offer really made an impact with Ellis, it also sounds like Texas A&M is trying to throw a monkey wrench in the mix. I’m told there is a possibility Texas A&M will also offer, which could create some serious competition as I’m told Ellis likes Texas A&M. It sounds like the SEC appeal has always been there for the family.

The other issue of course is that Baylor has been loyal to him for quite some time and believed in him early. I’ll be checking with my source later today or tomorrow to see if there has been any additional movement. – (Super K)

– I spoke with Demarvin Leal‘s mother and I’ll have my notes up about that conversation, shortly. But wanted to note that one of my big takeaways from the conversation is that Leal will continue to take visits and they have let the Texas A&M staff know. It’s well known that he will take out of state visits but it does sound like Texas will be able to get him back on campus for a game or two during the season. – (Super K)

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/05/open-post-wednesday-may-30th/

Reveal hidden contents

– Earlier this year one of the top five safeties in the nation, Lewis Cine, moved from Massachusetts down to Texas. Since he’s been in the Lone Star State, he has been rather quiet in terms of his recruitment. He has taken some regional visits to schools like Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma. But that’s about it.

When he moved to Texas, Penn State seemed to be school in the lead for his services. That still is likely the case, as he’s had the longest relationship with that staff. And when I talked to him recently, there seems to be three schools sticking out. Penn State, Michigan, and Texas.

Those are the three schools that he says he will definitely visit. And he has an unofficial visit set to Texas too. He’ll be in Austin on June 15th for Tom Herman’s annual summer recruiting event. It will be another opportunity for the staff to sell Cine on staying in Texas for college.

Right now I’d still give Penn State the edge in this recruitment. Though it seems that Texas is the school with the best shot to keep Lewis Cine down South to play college football. – (Andrew)

– Last week, Texas offered in state 2019 speedy wide receiver, Jaylen Ellis (Cedar Ridge). Ellis has been committed to Baylor since last summer.

Ellis is not only an elite athlete with track tested measurables, he’s also an excellent student. I am told that the Texas offer has immediately made a huge impact on Ellis’ recruitment, and while he is still committed to Baylor, things could play out in a positive fashion for the Longhorns if they continue to put in the work here.

While the Texas offer really made an impact with Ellis, it also sounds like Texas A&M is trying to throw a monkey wrench in the mix. I’m told there is a possibility Texas A&M will also offer, which could create some serious competition as I’m told Ellis likes Texas A&M. It sounds like the SEC appeal has always been there for the family.

The other issue of course is that Baylor has been loyal to him for quite some time and believed in him early. I’ll be checking with my source later today or tomorrow to see if there has been any additional movement. – (Super K)

– I spoke with Demarvin Leal‘s mother and I’ll have my notes up about that conversation, shortly. But wanted to note that one of my big takeaways from the conversation is that Leal will continue to take visits and they have let the Texas A&M staff know. It’s well known that he will take out of state visits but it does sound like Texas will be able to get him back on campus for a game or two during the season. – (Super K)

Not sure what to make of the Leal info...

5 minutes ago, Fug said:

Not sure what to make of the Leal info...

Doesn't seem like Earth-shattering news to me. We pretty much already assumed that he wasn't going to shut down his recruitment entirely this early. I'm not going to get my hopes up too high until he visits another time or two, but it certainly seems like we have a better chance of flipping him than we do, say, Garrett Wilson.

22 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, I believe the original comment was that Orlando would likely be gone by the time the 2019 recruits were vying for meaningful snaps. So by 2021. 

I just think statistically you dont see a lot of Bud Fosters. I mean, Orlando landing at Texas was contingent on him not getting the UH job, which he interviewed for...so the guy wants to be a head coach. Best case is he feels loyalty to Herman, and he is patient to wait for a really really good spot. He's a midwest guy, so even though his alma mater looks stable for the foreseeable future, as do other midwest power house schools in Nebraska, Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State...he'll definitely leave for a job at some point.

I'm always amazed at how much trouble people have tracking the original comment, be it Orlando isn't likely to be here when 2019 kids play, i.e. 2021, or Giles isn't a good recruiter, Herman should do more to help him turning into people responding as to why Giles shouldn't be fired.

I hope Orlando stays here for 10 years.  The data on successful coordinators at big time schools indicates otherwise. 

I'll also be interested to see how our D does this year. I think Orlando can flat out coach and I expect our defense to take a small step back from where it was last year, which would cement in my mind that Orlando is a great coach.  I don't see our defense being significantly worse than last year, but not many people foresaw Diaz's defense sucking ass in year 2, either. I think there a ton of reasons why Orlando is different than Diaz but regardless, this year will be big in terms of confirming what a lot of us believe about Orlando.  Right now, we're working with a pretty small data set. He's got less depth and less experienced talent than he had last year (and likely than he will for the foreseeable future), so if he can make things work this year, we should be in good shape for as long as he's here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I'm always amazed at how much trouble people have tracking the original comment, be it Orlando isn't likely to be here when 2019 kids play, i.e. 2021, or Giles isn't a good recruiter, Herman should do more to help him turning into people responding as to why Giles shouldn't be fired.

I hope Orlando stays here for 10 years.  The data on successful coordinators at big time schools indicates otherwise. 

I'll also be interested to see how our D does this year. I think Orlando can flat out coach and I expect our defense to take a small step back from where it was last year, which would cement in my mind that Orlando is a great coach.  I don't see our defense being significantly worse than last year, but not many people foresaw Diaz's defense sucking ass in year 2, either. I think there a ton of reasons why Orlando is different than Diaz but regardless, this year will be big in terms of confirming what a lot of us believe about Orlando.  Right now, we're working with a pretty small data set. He's got less depth and less experienced talent than he had last year (and likely than he will for the foreseeable future), so if he can make things work this year, we should be in good shape for as long as he's here.

This is generally where I align as well. I think Orlando might be a wizard, but I've been wrong before. I think an underrated aspect of last year is that while he had an experienced group, they were still learning a new system AND he had to change a culture (harder with veteran players) and by some accounts coach them PROPERLY for the first time in their college careers. I think those extra little things basically cancel out the experienced player aspect in many of the cases not named Poona Ford. 

If we can manufacture decent line play, I am hopeful our defense to be as good or better than last year. Maybe I'm being unreasonable in my expectations, but that is where I am now. 

2 hours ago, theaveragejon said:

So Orlando may be gone in 2019... but I think he stays for awhile. 

Only reason I say that is because I had a co worker that played for Orlando when he was at UCONN said that he’s just a football and defense animal. And his personality doesn’t really vibe with a HC. This was awhile ago so who knows. He could have changed, probably has, but he has always mainted that his personality has always been a DC guy. 

If he is the next Bud Foster, that would be tremendous stroke of luck.

I'm on record that with present salaries there will be more Chris Peterson and Bud Foster types that are fine pulling a couple million a year for a couple of decades and not deal with the big job pressures.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

2 minutes ago, longhrnfan said:

Speaking of Garrett Wilson... did anyone ever do an analysis of the WRs to get to the NFL under Urban as of late? 

A poster on IT wrote this up:

Urban Meyer, as usual, can kiss my ass. It's a slow day at work so let's crunch some numbers.

Since Urban apparently wants you to believe that tOSU is the place to be for WRs, I went and pulled his draft picks at WR, giving credit for players that Urban coached at least two years. It's hard to argue that it's not an impressive list, averaging basically a draft pick a year since he took the Florida job, but there are some interesting things to note that make the list less impressive than on first glance. I also put Texas' WR draft picks over the same period because Urban wants to pick that fight... and admittedly it's pretty barren.

Meyer WR Draft Picks
2017 - C. Samuel (2nd) - RB/WR, 172 carries for 1286 yards and 107 recs for 1249 yards over 3 year career
2017 - N. Brown (7th) - 33 recs for 411 yards over 3 year career
2016 - M. Thomas (2nd) - 113 recs for 1602 yards over 3 year career
2016 - B. Miller (3rd) - QB, 25 recs for 340 yards in senior year
2015 - D. Smith (2nd) - 121 recs for 2503 yards over 4 year career
2015 - E. Spencer (6th) - 52 recs for 579 yards over 4 year career
2010 - A. Hernandez (4th) - TE, 111 recs for 1382 yards over 3 year career
2010 - R. Cooper (5th) - 81 recs for 1496 yards over 4 year career
2009 - P. Harvin (1st) - RB/WR, 194 carries for 1852 yards and 133 recs for 1929 yards over 3 year career
2009 - L. Murphy (4th) - 77 recs for 1245 yards over 4 year career
2008 - A. Caldwell (3rd) - 185 recs for 2349 yards over 4 year career
2007 - D. Baker - 151 recs for 2236 yards over 4 year career
2005 - P. Warren - 156 recs for 1885 yards over 2 year career

Texas WR Draft Picks
2013 - M. Goodwin (3rd) - 120 recs for 1364 yards over 4 year career
2010 - J. Shipley (3rd) - 248 recs for 3191 yards over 4 year career, including 1400-yard and 1000-yard seasons
2008 - L. Sweed (2nd) - 124 recs for 1915 yards over 4 year career
2004 - R. Williams (1st) - 241 recs for 3866 yards over 4 year career, including 1100-yard and 1000-yard seasons
2004 - S. Thomas (7th) - 88 recs for 1362 yards over 4 year career

Interesting notes:
Of Urban's 12 draft picks,

• One was a QB all but one year at tOSU (Miller), one was a TE (Hernandez), and two were really RB/WR with more carries than recs (Harvin, Samuel).
  • Of Urban's 12 draft picks, three had career yardage totals under 600. Only three topped 2000 yards, and only one of those was drafted in the last 10 years.
  • Urban hasn't had a draft pick with over 150 career receptions in 10 years. Three of his draft picks at tOSU had 52 or fewer career receptions.

Then I went and pulled the team passing stats and leading receiver (plus any other receiver over 750 yards in a season) for every Urban Meyer season and, for comparison, every Tom Herman season. The asterisked Meyer seasons were when Herman was OC. That data is copied below. Some fun talking points:

• Urban's only 1000 yard receiver ever was from the 2004 Utah team, a 7th round pick. Herman had a 1100 and 1200 yard receiver (two different players) in his two years at UH.
  • Despite how awful our offense was last year, featuring a putrid OL and inexperienced, frequently injured QBs, last year's Texas offense averaged more yards per game through the air than all but Urban's 2017 and 2004 teams - which we were within two yards of. We averaged more attempts per game than any Meyer team since 2002.
  • John Harris' 2014 season would be one of the top 2 or 3 seasons ever for a WR under Meyer.

image.png

image.png

• Like 4

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

This is generally where I align as well. I think Orlando might be a wizard, but I've been wrong before. I think an underrated aspect of last year is that while he had an experienced group, they were still learning a new system AND he had to change a culture (harder with veteran players) and by some accounts coach them PROPERLY for the first time in their college careers. I think those extra little things basically cancel out the experienced player aspect in many of the cases not named Poona Ford. 

If we can manufacture decent line play, I am hopeful our defense to be as good or better than last year. Maybe I'm being unreasonable in my expectations, but that is where I am now. 

I think there's a definite possibility the defense is better, but Poona, Malik, Elliott, and Hill all played NFL-quality football last year. That's not easy to replace, so I'm not going to expect the defense to improve but it could. I think the DL will hold up fairly well, and Taquon Graham's development will determine if it's elite or just good. If he can be a force inside, our DL could be dominant.  My main concern is depth, especially at LB and CB.  If GJ goes down, we'll be in some trouble.  At CB, we'll be relying a ton on guys who've never taken college snaps before. We have talent there, but the question is how long it will take for that talent to be ready to play.

If I’m Orlando I’m staying put until Saban or Meyer retire. Both are liable to set off a carousel of coaching moves that could result in good jobs coming open. That’s also assuming Texas wins, recruits and the defense plays well. Meyers track record says he could leave at any time and I don’t think Saban has many years left. But enough time for Orlando to build a heck of a resume. 

4 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

If I’m Orlando I’m staying put until Saban or Meyer retire. Both are liable to set off a carousel of coaching moves that could result in good jobs coming open. That’s also assuming Texas wins, recruits and the defense plays well. Meyers track record says he could leave at any time and I don’t think Saban has many years left. But enough time for Orlando to build a heck of a resume. 

That's a bizarre way to look at it 

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's an illogical and unrealistic way for anyone to look at it if they're approaching the college football landscape looking to get a head coaching job. If there's ones thing we of all people should know, it's the hesitancy of many schools, much less the bluest of the blue bloods, to hire a guy with zero head coaching experience. We all know that it can work out, but the guys who typically make decisions or weigh in on them spit the fucking bit at the very thought.

Additionally the idea that when Saban retires, the notion that 'Bama is going anywhere other than Dabo Swinney to fill that role is hilariously ludicrous. Much less a Todd Orlando that has never been a head coach. Alabama would go to Dabo, then back to Smart, and Pruitt if he is successful at Tenn. THEN they'd expand that search to other good coaches at existing D1 schools. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

It's an illogical and unrealistic way for anyone to look at it if they're approaching the college football landscape looking to get a head coaching job. If there's ones thing we of all people should know, it's the hesitancy of many schools, much less the bluest of the blue bloods, to hire a guy with zero head coaching experience. We all know that it can work out, but the guys who typically make decisions or weigh in on them spit the fucking bit at the very thought.

Additionally the idea that when Saban retires, the notion that 'Bama is going anywhere other than Dabo Swinney to fill that role is hilariously ludicrous. Much less a Todd Orlando that has never been a head coach. Alabama would go to Dabo, then back to Smart, and Pruitt if he is successful at Tenn. THEN they'd expand that search to other good coaches at existing D1 schools. 

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think the idea is that Bama / Ohio State will poach a coach from a very good but not quite blue blood program, and the domino effect of coaching moves will eventually open up a realistic opportunity for Orlando; i.e., OP is not suggesting that Orlando is the next coach for the Buckeyes or Crimson Tide.

That said, I don't think Orlando is going to wait that long.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I think the idea is that Bama / Ohio State will poach a coach from a very good but not quite blue blood program, and the domino effect of coaching moves will eventually open up a realistic opportunity for Orlando; i.e., OP is not suggesting that Orlando is the next coach for the Buckeyes or Crimson Tide.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the correction. 

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think he just meant that them retiring would set off a string of openings, i.e. Dabo to Bama, Frost to Clemson, then maybe Orlando to Nebraska, or something like that. Idk. Either way, it doesn't make any sense to me. There's already a string of openings every single year because a lot of coaches get fired after 3-4 years, and I'm not sure the year that one of Saban or Meyer retiring would really be that much different. Just look at all the moves that happened this past offseason. If Orlando has success here this year and next, he'll likely be able to find a really good HC offer, probably even better than the UH job he was willing to take two years ago.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn
Of course, Mach beat me to it.

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

They'll obviously try for Dabo and Smart, but I bet both stay put. I think Saban is around for at least another six or seven years, there will probably be more options we're not even away of by that time. 

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

How you got this from his post I have no idea.  Did you even read what he said.  No one thinks Bama will go after Orlando to be the head coach but either one of those guys retiring will indeed create a bunch of open jobs after Bama or Ohio St starts the avalanche.  

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

They're gonna hire jimbo after he beats Saban 5 times in a row and wins 7 nattys, in his first 3 seasons. Saban will be so devastated he'll live out his remaining years in a nursing home mumbling things like "class ring" and "male cheerleaders". 

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Sure, but it's bizarre to think "I'm going to wait until Urban or Saban retires and causes a domino effect". Upperclass, middle-upperclass, and middle class head coaching jobs open up all over the country every year. 

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Sure, but it's bizarre to think "I'm going to wait until Urban or Saban retires and causes a domino effect". Upperclass, middle-upperclass, and middle class head coaching jobs open up all over the country every year. 

Point is I double it will be that long.  Urbs is one bad season/scandal from a full blown heart condition that will usher in retirement #2.  

2 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Point is I double it will be that long.  Urbs is one bad season/scandal from a full blown heart condition that will usher in retirement #2.  

I mean I guess it's a possibility but if you're Orlando, why would you wait for that when good college jobs come open every year? Still doesn't make any sense. 

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

They'll obviously try for Dabo and Smart, but I bet both stay put. I think Saban is around for at least another six or seven years, there will probably be more options we're not even away of by that time. 

Dunno about Smart, but I'd be willing to bet that Dabo already has bags packed with shipping labels for Tuscaloosa on them. No way he says no if (when) they call him home.

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

Dunno about Smart, but I'd be willing to bet that Dabo already has bags packed with shipping labels for Tuscaloosa on them. No way he says no if (when) they call him home.

Dabo has a great thing going on at Clemson, and yes I'm aware of his connections. Why try and follow the GOAT with more pressure in a tougher situation? 

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

Dabo has a great thing going on at Clemson, and yes I'm aware of his connections. Why try and follow the GOAT with more pressure in a tougher situation? 

Who knows? By the time Saban retires, things might not be going as smoothly at Clemson. Maybe Taggart will have Dabo's number? Regardless, I don't think Saban will retire for quite a while.

39 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

They're gonna hire jimbo after he beats Saban 5 times in a row and wins 7 nattys, in his first 3 seasons. Saban will be so devastated he'll live out his remaining years in a nursing home mumbling things like "class ring" and "male cheerleaders". 

First I thought ... no way he wins 7 nattys in 3 years, but then I membered that aggy already gave Jimbo one. So he is on track for this.

11 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

First I thought ... no way he wins 7 nattys in 3 years, but then I membered that aggy already gave Jimbo one. So he is on track for this.

Already tired of this tangent. Any Texas news today?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

Agree, and he’d have to face the new juggernaut of the SEC West  every year. Should scare him the death.

This can't be true. I was told by two coaches currently coaching in the SEC that, in fact, the ACC was the best conference in America just last year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Saban is coaching until he's 70 and then he's out, as of right now. He's not outright saying as much, but he's showing some legitimate tells for those around him/who deal with him. Without going into details, this is from two independent sources who would be unquestioned on this subject if you heard the names. His thoughts may change, and probably will, and that's been caveating to hell and back for me on this, but that's the case as of right now. 

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I agree with these two sentiments. Swinney has a machine built in his own image at Death Valley. Alabama can offer nostalgia and nothing else that Clemson can't. Following the fucking GOAT of CFB coaches would be pure folly. 

Just now, Dondrysdale1 said:

Didn’t ej just run with “ gbenda is really digging the sec sales pitch blah blah blah” in his after dark. If he had switched his cb to cloudy , does the wilfong pick make him change it back?

Fong just changed his to cloudy, so...

Steve Wiltfong's Weekly Buzz: Why Texas' '19 class could be special

If Tom Herman could take Shane Buechele’s arm talent and combine it with Sam Ehlinger’s frame along with Jerrod Heard’s speed, he’d have his perfect quarterback. At this point though, he’s probably happy to have four scholarship quarterbacks in the same room. Last season, he had just Buechele and Ehlinger with Heard having to move from receiver back to quarterback when the other two got hurt. It was a trying year under center but the depth chart was bolstered in the 2018 signing class when Cameron Rising and Casey Thompson both enrolled early and competed in spring ball.

I believe Herman will ultimately make it work with one of those four names. His steep history of putting together terrific offenses at Rice, then Iowa State, then Ohio State and then Houston says Texas has to improve on this side of the ball. I thought Buechele would be the guy to help Charlie Strong turn this thing around, so I believe there is talent in the cupboard. But there is “making it work” and then there are natural fits. Class of 2019 quarterback recruit Roschon Johnson is tailored to thrive under Herman. It’s not just his skillset. No doubt, Johnson is in the controls on Friday nights, where he passed for 35 touchdowns and ran for 29 more scores as a junior for Port Neches-Groves. But it’s his mental make-up that intrigues me.

Herman is a perfectionist. Johnson lives the same lifestyle. Ranked by the industry-generated 247Sports Composite as the nation’s No. 5 dual-threat passer, the 6-foot-1, 192-pound Johnson just wrapped up another semester with straight As. That’s the only mark to ever make his report card through three years in high school. “I try to be as close to perfect as I can,” Johnson told 247Sports. Johnson has passed for 5,236 yards and 61 touchdowns combined over the last two seasons with another 3,277 yards coming on the ground with 59 scores. He’s only thrown 11 interceptions over that span of 511 pass attempts. Damn near perfect. “There’s always stuff to work on,” Johnson said.

Johnson is a good decision-maker, will stand in the pocket and deliver downfield when pressure is coming and is very dynamic when he’s extending plays to make a throw or just taking off and running it himself. He is still polishing up as a passer, but by the time Herman is ready to call his number in Austin, I believe Johnson will give him the best opportunity to run his offense the way he truly wants it done. He committed to Texas nearly a year ago over the likes of Baylor, Florida, Florida State, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon, Penn State, TCU, Tennessee and Texas A&M. “What made Texas right for me is I would say the overall culture they’re trying to bring there, to the people they’re trying to get things going with and get things back on track,” Johnson said. “The system they run for me, I know Coach Herman has done a lot with dual-threat quarterbacks in previous history and I think i can make a difference in that offense and bring Texas back where it should be.”

The Longhorns are up to No. 15 in the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings following a pair of Memorial Day Weekend commitments from Conroe (Texas) Oak Ridge five-star offensive tackle Tyler Johnson and Temple (Texas) High tight end Jared Wiley. The 6-foot-5, 308-pound Johnson is the No. 7 offensive tackle in the country and No. 5 recruit in the state. He’s quick, can ruin front of the screen game and shows the traits you want at the position. Folks around Austin applauded Johnson for his intangibles, similar to the quarterback Johnson. He checks the culture and high-IQ boxes. The 6-foot-6, 230-pound Wiley is interesting as an inline tight end that can sneak out and beat you vertically in the passing game. He’s going to develop into your 255-pound extra attachment to the offensive line, a willing and sometimes ferocious blocker on film that Herman can also use as a wrinkle for a big play. That’s at the very least. There’s lots to like with Wiley long-term.

Texas has major priorities in this class at receiver and linebacker. Of their eight commits, the Longhorns are off to a good start at both positions. Top247 recruits Jordan Whittington (receiver) and De’Gabriel Floyd (linebacker) are in the boat. The Longhorns need a couple more difference-makers in each role. This weekend, Top247 receiver Jake Smith takes his official as Texas battles USC for the Arizona standout. Other major targets moving forward include five-star Bru McCoy along with Elijah Higgins and Dylan Wright. At linebacker Top247 recruit David Gbenda is a major target with just about every 247Sports Crystal Ball favoring Texas. Top247 prospects Rian Davis and Maninoa Tufono along with Tennessee JUCO commit Lakia Henry are also coveted.

In other news …Houston (Texas) St. Pius X quarterback Grant Gunnell has seen his Crystal Ball trend a number of ways, beginning with Texas A&M, then going to Ohio State and Oklahoma State and now starting to read Arizona. Gunnell was committed to Kevin Sumlin in College Station and a reconnection in Tucson could be brewing. The 6-foot-6, 222-pound Gunnell is the No. 3 pro-style passer in the 247Sports Composite Player Rankings.

Iowa State has the No. 4 class in the Big 12, good for No. 28 nationally after securing a weekend pledge from Corey Suttle out of Jefferson City (Mo.) High. He’s a quick-twitch defensive lineman that was disruptive as a junior en route to 18 tackles for loss. Matt Campbell and company now have a nice duo at the point of attack intros class in Suttle and fellow defensive end Blake Peterson.

The quarterback dominoes are dropping in the 2020 class with Texas landing Top247 recruit Hudson Card out of nearby Lake Travis High and LSU scoring TJ Finely from down the road in Ponchatoula.

Official visit/camp season begins this weekend as college coaches like the aforementioned staff at Texas will be able to host visitors while also holding camps. Coaches will also be out attending camps across the country, evaluating and continuing to extend scholarships. You’re going to see a school like Michigan working camps in Georgia and California, with several other programs making the rounds in a similar fashion.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Exactly. Never meant Alabama or tOSU would look at Orlando. Of course Dabo goes to Bama, then someone goes to Clemson, etc. resulting in possibly some good P5 opportunities. And Orlando probably won’t wait that long. But from our selfish best interest I would hope somehow he does.

No wonder that TH is trying to establish a pipeline from St. Thomas Aquinas

It's basically recruiting from a school that's already done the recruiting for you. Let the HS coaches evaluate middle schoolers then do whatever it takes to get them enrolled at STA...college coaches just select the best of what they have.