Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

E.J. Holland: Breaking down UT's big recruiting weekend

Texas had a big weekend on the recruiting trail. The Longhorns landed one of their top overall targets in five-star Conroe Oak Ridge offensive lineman Tyler Johnson and also reeled in their first commit in the 2020 class in four-star Austin Lake Travis quarterback Hudson Card. Horns247's EJ Holland hits on both and more in this video, which you can watch below. Here is what you can expect.

— Why Tyler Johnson committed to Texas and what he brings to the table

— Why Hudson Card sided with the Longhorns and what his strengths are

— Which prospects could be next to pull the trigger

VIDEO LINK

“I like the offense a lot,” Wiley said. “They call them (tight ends) the white owls up there. I like how much they got the ball. One coach yelled ‘that’s 10 catches for the white owls’ and practice had just started. I like the ball in my hands. I really liked the way they got the ball into the hands of the tight ends.”

EJ, it's Y-Dogs not white owls. Come on dude...

• Like 1

Jeff Howe: Texas extends offers to in-state wideouts Langston Anderson, Peyton Powell

Jaylen Ellis wasn’t the only 2019 in-state wide receiver to receive an offer from Texas on Saturday. The Longhorns extended offers to Langston Anderson and Peyton Powell, a pair of outside receiver prospects the staff recently saw on the road. Both prospects announced their offers from the Longhorns via Twitter. Anderson mentioned he was extremely blessed to receive an offer from Texas while Powell was very excited to announce that the Longhorns had extended an offer his way.

Anderson, a 6-foot-2, 188-pound prospect out of Midlothian Heritage, visited the Forty Acres for the spring game. Wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer visited Anderson in early May with the Longhorns in full evaluation mode at the time after Lake Travis five-star prospect Garrett Wilson committed to Ohio State. As a junior, Anderson caught 55 passes for 850 yards and nine touchdowns to help the Jaguars earn a 12-1 record and a trip to the third round of the Class 4A Division I playoffs. Digging into Anderson’s game for a film evaluation, Horns247 recruiting analyst Mike Roach wrote that there was a lot to like about the three-star prospect.

“Anderson has a strong build with good length and room to add more weight,” Roach wrote. “He’s an explosive prospect who can play multiple positions on offense. Anderson excels in the [quick] game when he can receive the ball quickly and make plays in space. Anderson shows strong athleticism with good acceleration and top-end speed. He’s a natural runner who can take the ball on jet sweeps and find holes in the defense. Anderson shows strong balance, and he can run through initial contact. He shows good explosion and transition in and out of his breaks which allows him to create separation at the top of the route. Anderson shows good hands and explosive leaping ability to go along with his overall athletic package.”

The Texas offer adds to a recent hot streak for Powell, a 6-foot-2, 182-pound prospect out of Odessa Permian who played quarterback at Midland Christian before transferring to Permian. The offer from the Longhorns is the latest Powell has a received in the month of May, a period where he’s pulled in offers from Nebraska, Ole Miss, Ohio State, Washington State and Texas Tech among a host of other programs. Mehringer made the trip to West Texas to check on Powell this week. He must have liked what he saw with Powell now adding the Longhorns to his growing offer list.

With the offers out to Ellis, Anderson and Powell, the picture of what the Longhorns want out of the wide receiver position in the 2019 cycle is starting to clear up. Texas has a commitment from Cuero’s Jordan Whittington, who could wind up on either side of the ball at the next level, and the Longhorns appear to be the team to beat for four-star prospect Jake Smith (Scottsdale, Ariz./Notre Dame Preparatory). With Wilson off of the board and Austin Bowie’s Elijah Higgins strongly considering Stanford, the Longhorns have to feel like whatever mix of the three recently-offered wide receivers they wind up landing will make for a good haul at the position.

Along with the aforementioned wide receivers, Texas is also in pursuit of West Mesquite four-star prospect Dylan Wright. The Longhorns remain a frontrunner for Wright, who isn’t expected to announce his decision until January.

E.J. Holland: Texas offers JUCO DL Jacoby Jones following visit

Texas has extended an offer to Jacoby Jones. The junior college defensive lineman out of Butler C.C. received a scholarship from the Longhorns this weekend following an unofficial visit. Jones is being recruited by Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles, who has been in contact throughout the offseason. Prior to arriving at Texas, Giles served as an assistant at Houston, Louisiana Tech and SMU. He played for the Longhorns in the 90s and was a graduate assistant for the program.

Texas is looking for its second defensive line commit of the cycle as it landed three-star Huntsville product T’Vondre Sweat in February. He is completely solid to the Longhorns. Jones also holds offers from Arkansas State, Colorado, Florida Atlantic, Iowa State, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Middle Tennessee State, North Carolina State, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech, Central Florida and Washington State.

Jones has three years to play two. He is on track to graduate in December and would be immediately eligible as a JUCO prospect. He is originally from St. Louis, Missouri and enrolled at Butler C.C. to improve his academics and earn FBS interest. He plans to visit Colorado and North Carolina State in June.

The Longhorns currently have eight commits this cycle — five-star Conroe Oak Ridge offensive lineman Tyler Johnson, four-star Cuero athlete Jordan Whittington, four-star Westlake (Calif.) outside linebacker De’Gabriel Floyd, four-star Grayson (GA) defensive back Kenyatta Watson II, four-star Port Neches-Groves quarterback Roschon Johnson, three-star Chandler (AZ) tight end Brayden Liebrock, three-star Temple tight end Jared Wiley and three-star Huntsville defensive end T’Vondre Sweat.

Texas is ranked No. 15 in the country in the 247Sports Composite team recruiting rankings with a score of 164.02. Texas sits behind Oklahoma in the Big 12 team recruiting rankings. However, Oklahoma holds more commits. Texas finished with the No. 3 recruiting class last cycle, highlighted by a historic defensive back haul that featured big name recruits like Caden Sterns, BJ Foster, Anthony Cook, Jalen Green, DeMarvion Overshown and D’shawn Jamison.

UT’s recruiting success came in its first year under Tom Herman, who coached the Longhorns to a 7-6 season and win over Missouri in the Texas Bowl. Herman is under a five-year contract with a base salary of $5 million per year.

Traceback (most recent call last): File "<input>", line 8, in <module> File "./247parse.py", line 25, in __init__ self.prepare(**self.settings) File "./247parse.py", line 1516, in prepare self.co = compile(self.code, filename, 'exec') File "filename", line 2 ^ IndentationError: expected an indented block

Edited by satyanash

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

A post in the football thread says we will have 19 SR's. + still have 1 open slot so that's 20 spots for this class as of now.  Shouldn't have any problem getting to 25 between now and next August 2019.

I'd put the o/u at 27.5 for class size 

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

One wrinkle for Powell - he actually has P5 QB offers (Nebraska for example), so we'll see if that impacts his recruitment.

His highlights at QB looked good. He is fast and has good change of direction and breaks tackles. His arm is "okay". If Nebraska was still running the option he would be a very good take at QB but if they plan on throwing, it probably wouldn't be a great match.

EJ: 

I just caught up with Oregon commit Marques Caldwell, who said he has talked to his family a lot about the recruiting process over the last few days. Caldwell said he is 'iffy' on his pledge to the Ducks and is leaning towards the Longhorns at this time. I put in my Crystal Ball flip pick immediately after he got the Texas offer and feel very confident.

25 minutes ago, Bevo said:

His highlights at QB looked good. He is fast and has good change of direction and breaks tackles. His arm is "okay". If Nebraska was still running the option he would be a very good take at QB but if they plan on throwing, it probably wouldn't be a great match.

It's funny, his shot put motion and the way they roll him out him looks pretty similar to the way Frost used the UCF guy last year.  The UCF guy is a better athlete though.  They ran him on option and draw quite a bit.  His arm wasn't the best but he was accurate.  A lot of go routes and screens.

11 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

It's funny, his shot put motion and the way they roll him out him looks pretty similar to the way Frost used the UCF guy last year.  The UCF guy is a better athlete though.  They ran him on option and draw quite a bit.  His arm wasn't the best but he was accurate.  A lot of go routes and screens.

Yeah, his throwing motion reminds me a bit of another famous former Texas quarterback.

In the spring game he went 10-for-10, but those were mainly bubbles and tunnels. He only had two throws beyond 10 yards. Watching him in practice he has a good deep ball.

• Like 1

For anyone doing "shh" accounting, Carrington retweeted these two right after Card and Tyler Johnson committed:

https://twitter.com/BCarringtonUT/status/998951545407442945

https://twitter.com/BCarringtonUT/status/999840410775314433

And this one after Wiley:

https://twitter.com/BCarringtonUT/status/998733159041814528

The one from May 8 is still unaccounted for.

Edited by Machinator

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

A kid not getting pissy about a "late" offer would be nice for once

Yeah. Heard thats the word on Ellis. Hes been waitingnon this offer for months. And the worry was, hed get pissy for being kept waiting. 

Looking like that might not be a problem. 

But it might be a problem for our other targets. It looks like the staff has told these guys ro piss or getnoff the pot. They want to fill their WR list now. And anybody who wants to wait, wont have a spot. 

2 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Yeah. Heard thats the word on Ellis. Hes been waitingnon this offer for months. And the worry was, hed get pissy for being kept waiting. 

But it might be a problem for our other targets. It looks like the staff has told these guys ro piss or getnoff the pot. They want to fill their WR list now. And anybody who wants to wait, wont have a spot. 

Ellis is a freaky athlete, too. Maybe he doesn't have the ready-made fundamentals of the OOS guys we offered before him, but with good coaching he should be a star.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

Yup. Interesting that they are applying the pressure now, and are giving 5-6 guys a shot at 3-4 slots.

3 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

I wo ji ld like to apologize for my intoxicated typing. Momma would be ashamed. 

33 minutes ago, Machinator said:

For anyone doing "shh" accounting, Carrington retweeted these two right after Card and Tyler Johnson committed:

https://twitter.com/BCarringtonUT/status/998951545407442945

https://twitter.com/BCarringtonUT/status/999840410775314433

And this one after Wiley:

https://twitter.com/BCarringtonUT/status/998733159041814528

The one from May 8 is still unaccounted for.

340cipher.gif

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

I’ll be surprised if they close the door on Tongue, Wright or anyone else like a Wilson-type if they came back knocking. I’ve said all along they’re taking 27-29 guys and that means they’ll take 4+ wrs without a blink and if flex players like Tongue and/or McCoy come on board, fine as well. No one is projecting Tongue permanently at WR, but him playing there for a bit is in our interest if it leads to landing him. I assume they’d take an Ellis now, Smith in a week, wait until January for Wright, and cross their fingers on other fantasies through signing day. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I’ll be surprised if they close the door on Tongue, Wright or anyone else like a Wilson-type if they came back knocking. I’ve said all along they’re taking 27-29 guys and that means they’ll take 4+ wrs without a blink and if flex players like Tongue and/or McCoy come on board, fine as well. No one is projecting Tongue permanently at WR, but him playing there for a bit is in our interest if it leads to landing him. I assume they’d take an Ellis now, Smith in a week, wait until January for Wright, and cross their fingers on other fantasies through signing day. 

Anderson seems to have a lot of interest and UT friends based on his Twitter. It'll be interesting to see if he beats Ellis to the punch.

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

What is the hard cap for this cycle, 25+ how many available from 2018?  Ignoring the 85 because that’s never an issue. 

It depends on how many early enrollees we can roll back to this year. 

25 is supposed to be the max. But then you play math. Not my strong suit. 

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah, I’m asking the math. 

24/7 shows 27 signees with 8 enrolled. But that includes the juco Grandy. 

That means 31 is this year’s max if all 8 early enrollees counted back to 2017, and we can get 6 early enrollees this time. 

But it would depend on how many we will have at any given time. You can only have 85 on roster. But 25 per year. So attrition is figured in. 

I think in just looking at the numbers we have less than 25 available. The math will allow us to take up to the 31 with the EE caveat. 

But that is dependent on freeing up the extra scollies. Which is dependant on attrition which is hard to judge this far in advance. 

I guess?

All these WR offers is going to create some pressure on these guys to claim their spot. Wonder if Wright would move his timeline up, but he’s a take even if we already have 5 maybe even 6 if you count a player like tongue 

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

All these WR offers is going to create some pressure on these guys to claim their spot. Wonder if Wright would move his timeline up, but he’s a take even if we already have 5 maybe even 6 if you count a player like tongue 

They might be lookkng at the long game. WR is always Deep in state. We missed on the top guys this year. 

So they might be thinking after the top guys they are all projects. So lets force these guys to commit now.  

Might miss on wright. But in the long run, so what?

Then we can focus our attention on positions of more need. 

They think they are gonna win big next year( im drinking that koolaid)  so they think theyll get theirs next year. 

Might be a good strategy. Also.might affect othe guys like Noah Cain who wants to wait till the end. Hes already odd man out at LSU and tOSU. Due to classes filling up. 

8 minutes ago, Yama Yak Yachtzi said:

2017 class had 18 players. 2018 had 27, with 9 being early enrollees (Rising, Thompson, Grandy, Eagles, Cook, Stearns, Foster, Adeoye, and Bujcevski). I'm not sure if Grandy counts towards the 25, since he was a transfer. Assuming 7 counted back to 2017, we could go up to 30 for 2019.

thats 30-31 we can take....if we have the scollies. I dont think we have that many in straight numbers, without attrition.

whoda thunk after the last 2 years, we'd be wanting attrition?

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah, I’m asking the math. 

24/7 shows 27 signees with 8 enrolled. But that includes the juco Grandy. 

That means 31 is this year’s max if all 8 early enrollees counted back to 2017, and we can get 6 early enrollees this time. 

I went back and did the math last year all the way back to the last time that the numbers should have reset since we didn't fill up, and came up with a max of 34 since the 2017 class was so small, but Herman said publicly that the number was actually 31, so I was clearly missing something. Maybe he back counted kids who signed but didn't make it in.