Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag: Who will be UT's next commit?

Next commit? - Hookem4life1246

EJ: I’m going to say Jared Wiley. The three-star prospect is set to make a commitment on Saturday at 3 p.m., and we have reason to believe the Longhorns are in the pole position at this time — his other two finalists are Missouri and Houston. This one seems like a slam-dunk. With that said, there could be some news before then (wink).

Mike: I'll second Wiley. It's an easy call because he's announced his commitment date, but we should also add that the next few months could be pretty fun for Texas fans.

Who are the top uncommitted DL prospects remaining that Texas has a realistic shot at signing? -- SthTexHorn87

EJ: Texas is going to continue to recruit Texas A&M commit DeMarvin Leal. There is still interest there, and the Longhorns are making a strong push to flip him before he signs. Texas is also working hard on out-of-state guys like Marcus Hicks, Faatui Tuitele, and Jermaine Johnson as well as in-state guys like Marcus Stripling and Taurean Carter. And of course, we feel good about where the Longhorns stand with Zach Williams.

Mike: As EJ said, DeMarvin Leal is being recruited by Texas as if he's uncommitted. Faatui Tuitele just included Texas in his Top 5, and Jermaine Johnson is visiting soon. I feel good about the Longhorns' chances of making an impact this summer with Taurean Carter and Zach Williams.

Jake Smith is taking his official visit June 1st. If my math is right, Texas has three additional OV's left for the summer. Who else is anticipated to join him that weekend? -- Hookem777

EJ: Smith is the only scheduled visitor at this time. With limited official visits left for the offseason, Texas has to be careful with how it uses them. It’s going to a be a tough call on which guys to bring in. Some possibilities are Lewis Cine, who is lightly penciled in for June 15, and Marcus Washington as both want to make decisions before the season. Florida linebacker Rian Davis is another.

Mike: With visits being such a rare commodity right now, I think we will see Texas either try to get guys to hold off or convince them to come in for unofficial visits. The new recruiting calendar and rules have thrown things into chaos, but the staff is adjusting to the best of their ability.

What is story on Dylan Wright and where does Texas stand? Who leads in his recruitment? -- jasonvrana

EJ: I’ll let Mike expand more since he has the closest relationship with Wright in the industry. But from everything I have been able to gather, Texas is still a top school for him and will host him for a visit this summer. Remember, Wright isn’t deciding until January, so there won’t be a ton of movement with him until later in the process.

Mike: Everything right now is just noise for Dylan. He's taking the process very slowly and being very analytical about his choices. A lot was made about his recent visit to Texas A&M, and while they definitely impressed him, nothing matters until the fall. Wright is looking for a program with good relationships, but most importantly, he wants to go somewhere that can develop him as an NFL wide receiver. He's new to the position after playing quarterback for most of his life, and he's still working on refining the technical aspect of his game. Texas is doing a great job here, and Tom Herman is personally involved in his recruitment. I'd expect them to be a big player until the end.

Is the staff still pursuing Lakia Henry? Saw where he committed to Tennessee. -- GabrielsHorn

EJ: Yes. Even though Henry made an early commitment to Tennessee, we still expect him to explore his options and make visits. Texas will actively recruit him, and it wouldn’t surprise us if he makes it to Austin in the fall.

Mike: The staff has shown they have no problem recruiting guys who are committed. Even though they may not ultimately win all of those battles, they've had their fair share of success. I'd expect no different for Henry.

I hate Ohio State. Why did they get a CB for Noah Cain? I know it’s early, but when they’re a factor, they push hard. And it’s annoying. -- rtapp32

EJ: With LSU potentially getting John Emery and Tyrion Davis already in the fold, Ohio State is quietly emerging as UT’s biggest threat for Cain. But the fact of the matter is the Buckeyes have always been a threat. Ohio State has a great recent history at the running back position, and the Buckeyes win. It’s not hard to see why Cain is interested. But we still feel good about where Texas stands with him. This season will be huge, though.

Mike: Ohio State and LSU are the two long-standing favorites in this race. Texas pushed their way in to legitimate contender status, but he has a great relationship with both of those staffs. Noah is looking strongly at what Texas will do up front, because the offensive line development is a big deal to him.

31 minutes ago, satyanash said:

:Ohio State is quietly emerging as UT’s biggest threat for Cain. But the fact of the matter is the Buckeyes have always been a threat. Ohio State has a great recent history at the running back position, and the Buckeyes win. It’s not hard to see why Cain is interested. But we still feel good about where Texas stands with him. This season will be huge, though.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

IT

By: IT Staff

STATE OF RECRUITING 

Remember that dreary April that brought some much-needed early May momentum? While June's outlook is nice, we still have a week before the summer starts. The next seven days could make this May a month to remember.

The Spring evaluation period ended today so coaches can no longer visit kids at their respective schools. They can however host on-campus camps and satellite camps. UT will be doing a lot of that over the next month. They have two camps in Austin planned, one in Marshall, one in Florida, one in Missouri, and two in California, for starters. Of course they’ll also return to TSU in Houston, site of the awkward interaction between Tom Herman and Urban Meyer. That may have signaled the start of a Cold War.

The staff will be incredibly diligent with these events. They've taken the slow and steady approach to 2019's class and more eyes and evaluations means better probability of unearthing potential prospects, both in this class as well as future ones.

Before we can get to that, we still have to wrap up May. Here's how we can see it going on this Memorial Day weekend and beyond. Between refreshments, it might be a time to hit refresh like a monkey in a cocaine study.

On Hudson Card... Let's start with the Class of 2020. While UT continues to build its 2019 group, Herman and company always have their eyes on the next quarterback take. Last summer for example, landing Roschon Johnson was a nice present during the Stars at Night event at DKR. We anticipate the same with the next class. Texas wants two QBs in 2020 with in-state targets Card and Malik Hornsby at the forefront. They'll keep their eyes on California where 5-star quarterbacks apparently grow on trees. Landing a prospect like Card this early would be huge, not only for the 2020 class, but for the 512.

He'll be Lake Travis' signal-caller for the next two seasons, and he'll be 15 minutes down the road. If they take Card, will Hornsby still love Texas? I can't tell you that definitively, I just know Hornsby and Texas have a great relationship and connections that go way back. But for now, start getting used to Hudson Card.

From one of the top quarterback coaches in the college ranks: “Like Hudson. He’s raw as far as QB experience but he has a lot of playmaking ability. Will get better with game reps and action. Him and Brendon Lewis in state as well as Hornsby.”

On Tyler Johnson... There's been some inconsistencies in Johnson’s decision timeline over the last six months. He wanted to take all his visits, then he was close to pulling the trigger, then back to the waiting game and a potential NSD announcement. Ahhh..recruiting in 2018. Now, as we've recently written, it seems as if Johnson and his family might be getting close to a pledge. The only constant here has been Texas with no other school really posing competition. He visited a game last season, he's been on campus a few times since, including an official visit in early May. He’s built great relationships with the players, especially Tope Imade, as well as with new offensive line coach Herb Hand.

The highly rated offensive tackle always looked headed for a traditional power with good academics.

He projects to right tackle but left tackle may be a developmental possibility.

On Jared Wiley... An offer that caused some question early might wind up being the second tight end take before the summer starts. Texas jumped on board because they love his athletic ability and projection. I don't think they thought Brayden Liebrock was a strong possibility at the time, but it gave UT what it ultimately needed; leverage. You tell a kid with a top-three of Texas, Missouri, and U of H there's only one spot left on this train to Austin, and kids tend to line up for their ticket. I believe Wiley will punch his in on Saturday.

As we've mentioned on multiple occasions, Texas looks like the spot for the Temple tight end, this connecting a small pipeline that includes Davion Curtis and TaQuon Graham. Not too shabby.

On Marques Caldwell....The Alvin cornerback with length is a perfect example of a backup plan that might be better than the original plan. On tape, Spring DeKaney's Marcus Banks and Caldwell are both dominant and exceptional in what they do. Caldwell has some Holton Hill to his game, and not because it's Friday and you don't have sh*t to do. The Oregon commit visited Texas during Junior Day Weekend and really enjoyed the experience. But UT wasn't pushing in February. They are now. And that makes all the difference in the world to the three-star from the south Houston suburb. Caldwell has pulled no punches; this offer meant the most. Being able I stay home plus the allure of building on the 2018 class + entering the DBU brotherhood might be too much to pass. I mean, it will be too much to pass on.

On Jake Smith....Now Mr. Smith doesn't arrive in Austin until June 1st, for his official visit. Before his OV to USC, I felt really good about UT's chances with the 4-star WR out of Arizona. Post-Trojan trip, I feel even better. The staff has done everything it can to position itself handsomely here. After the 23 and Me results came back they invited the Shipleys on campus to meet and greet the Smiths. They treated his unofficial visit like it was an official. The staff really impressed his father, who has turned into a big Tom Herman fan. At the end of the day, I think this recruitment was wrapped up two weeks ago. We're simply going through the formalities at this moment. I think Mr. Smith Goes to Austin would be my headline.

That leads us into June. School's out, the swimming pool is ready, and satellite camp season is about to begin. Oh, and the class of 2018 will join the team in full, which means a return to team information.

• Like 1

On an unrelated but related note about 5 star running backs who fail, check out this awesome video about Darrell Scott. It briefly discusses how Scott was possibly coming to UT but ended up at Colorado before flaming out.  This video was made by KTO, who makes the best football videos, period. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Caldwell has pulled no punches; this offer meant the most. Being able I stay home plus the allure of building on the 2018 class + entering the DBU brotherhood might be too much to pass. I mean, it will be too much to pass on.

Looks like this will be today's news.

19 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

What? Helsinki is in Finland, not Russia. #mapfacts

Yes, it is. So, I was in Helsinki, Finland and left my cell and laptop in a security vault there. I didn’t want them to get hacked when I arrived in Moscow, Russia. 

Hope that reads better  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Ohio State already has two RBs committed and is taking a third down back soon. I doubt Cain ends up there. 

Roach's comments on the Cain recruitment were weird. They seemed completely off base to me.  LSU and tOSU are both loading up at RB like you said and Cain has reservations about other RBs in his class. I'm not sure how we could not be considered the favorite to land him.

1 minute ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Roach's comments on the Cain recruitment were weird. They seemed completely off base to me.  LSU and tOSU are both loading up at RB like you said and Cain has reservations about other RBs in his class. I'm not sure how we could not be considered the favorite to land him.

I'm not even sure who the primary competition is at this point, because it's not longer those two teams. Maybe OU?

16 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Mensah, h2h Win!

So I was on Rivals looking for some info on Taurean Carter and my eyes are immediately drawn to the right side of the screen where they have their Top 10 prospects.  They have Theo Wease at 3 and Arjei Henderson at 6...IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY. 

JFC how could anyone possibly come to that conclusion. Rivals rankings are so freaking bad. 

58 minutes ago, TrojanPrincess said:

The St. Bonaventure curse....

Probably got paid there, as well. The video says how he didn't make the MVP of the County that year cause so many people hated him for doing it. 

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Darrell Scott.  Lulz.  Was he the one who was prob coming to Texas until his mom miraculously landed a job local to the school at which he signed?

Yes, he signed at Colorado, gained a ton of weight. His illustrious career there ended w 1 TD. Ended up at South Florida.   

8 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

So I was on Rivals looking for some info on Taurean Carter and my eyes are immediately drawn to the right side of the screen where they have their Top 10 prospects.  They have Theo Wease at 3 and Arjei Henderson at 6...IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY. 

JFC how could anyone possibly come to that conclusion. Rivals rankings are so freaking bad. 

Rivals must have Carter real low.  He's a high 3* on 247 (88, same as Rojo) but his composite is in the mid-3* range.

6 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Rivals.com National Recruiting Director Mike Farrell has sucked more Stoops cock than all of the Stoops combined. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Rivals must have Carter real low.  He's a high 3* on 247 (88, same as Rojo) but his composite is in the mid-3* range.

They have ranked as a 5.5. The fuck if I know what that means. Somehow he's a guy with plenty of P5 offers, has been on the recruiting scene for a while now, and has even attended rivals camps and they have no state or position ranking for him. 

Once again, folks Rivals rankings are straight trash. Which reminds me, can't wait for Football board folks to come in on NSD and start throwing out Rivals rankings as if they mean something.

8 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Last resort in May. Love it.

We haven’t offered, but are still recruiting him....

why do you think that is?

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We haven't offered (yet).

Yet being the key word. 

So if Giles strikes out on Options 1-3

we can come in and say, oh we really like your new tape, here’s an offer.