Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

On 4/30/2018 at 9:34 AM, Casual Encounter said:

Have you read the past few pages? You came to the wrong place for a party. The Texas football program is shutting down.

You've got your parties muddled up.

12 hours ago, Fud said:

I went back and did the math last year all the way back to the last time that the numbers should have reset since we didn't fill up, and came up with a max of 34 since the 2017 class was so small, but Herman said publicly that the number was actually 31, so I was clearly missing something. Maybe he back counted kids who signed but didn't make it in.

The only kid from 2017 that didn't make it in was the WR from Tyler, you still apply him as a counter though. So Texas would could have counted 8 in 2018 towards the 2017 25 limit. Which probably means they have around 33 to give for 2019.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The only kid from 2017 that didn't make it in was the WR from Tyler, you still apply him as a counter though. So Texas would could have counted 8 in 2018 towards the 2017 25 limit. Which probably means they have around 33 to give for 2019.

Except Herman said we had room for 31 last year, not 33-34

Just now, Schulz2.0 said:

Suchomel on OB apparently put out an update saying USC feels confident of landing Smith. Figured that’s what you read.

Oh nah I didn't read anything, just asking because it went pretty quiet after he OVd to USC, and I thought he was supposed to OV here this weekend, but I guess not? 

Who is Smith's primary recruiter? Hope we can pull it off

E.J. Holland: Who's next? A look at five commit candidates

Texas picked up two commits in the 2019 recruiting cycle this weekend when it reeled in five-star Conroe Oak Ridge offensive lineman Tyler Johnson and three-star Temple tight end Jared Wiley. The Longhorns are now up to eight commits and sit in the Top 20 in the 247Sports Composite national team recruiting rankings. UT also sits second in the Big 12 recruiting rankings — Oklahoma is ahead but has more commits at this time.

So the natural question from Texas is: Who's next? Here is a breakdown of five recruits in the 2019 class that could be next to jump on board as the Longhorns look to continue building a strong class. Remember, Texas finished with the No. 3 class in the country last cycle as it landed a number of highly touted prospects, highlighted by a historic defensive back haul. While that will be tough to top, Tom Herman and company are putting in maximum effort on the recruiting trail and a big season could help the Longhorns build even more momentum. 

WR JAYLEN ELLIS, ROUND ROCK CEDAR RIDGE

Height: 6-foot
Weight: 180
National Ranking: 619
Position Ranking: 80
State Ranking: 75

Ellis is currently committed to Baylor. He picked the Bears last summer but has since blown up with offers from Arizona State, Michigan, Michigan State, Missouri, Oregon, TCU, Tennessee and others. Texas entered the picture over the weekend as it put a scholarship on the table. Ellis has made a handful of unofficial visits to Texas this offseason, and it’s no secret he was waiting for an offer from the Longhorns. Texas is now in a position to flip Ellis from Baylor and already has two Crystal Ball predictions. Ellis is an explosive receiver that can play in the slot or on the outside. He notched 56 receptions for 1,248 yards and 14 touchdowns as a junior at Round Rock Cedar Ridge en route to earning unanimous first team all-district honors.

WR LANGSTON ANDERSON, MIDLOTHIAN HERITAGE

Height: 6-foot-2
Weight: 188
National Ranking: 1,053 
Position Ranking: 127
State Ranking: 136

One of the more underrated prospects in the state, Anderson holds 21 offers from the likes Arizona State, Baylor, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Texas Tech and Washington State. Anderson picked up an offer from the Longhorns over the weekend, and if they make a strong push, they should put themselves in a great position to land him. Anderson played his sophomore season at Jackson Academy in Mississippi and transferred to Midlothian Heritage in the Dallas-area last year. Anderson recorded 55 receptions for 850 yards and nine touchdowns en route to earning first team all-district honors as a junior. Anderson does not have a set decision timeline or any early favorites. Texas will likely get him on campus for an unofficial visit at some point this summer. He impressed the staff during the evaluation period.

WR JAKE SMITH, NOTRE DAME PREP (AZ)

Height: 6-foot-1
Weight: 189
National Ranking: 104 
Position Ranking: 17
State Ranking: 2

Smith has established himself as one of the most sought after slot receivers in the country. The four-star prospect has elite level speed and is an electrifying playmaker with the ball in his hands. Smith has more than 32 offers to his name, including Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Georgia, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas A&M and Wisconsin. Smith recently narrowed down his lengthy offers list to two schools — Texas and USC. Smith made his official visit to USC last weekend and had a great time in Los Angeles. However, Texas will host him for his official visit on June 1 and still appears to be the favorite in his recruitment. The Longhorns currently hold 70 percent of Crystal Ball predictions. USC holds the other 30 percent.

CB MARQUES CALDWELL, ALVIN

Weight: 171
National Ranking: 636
Position Ranking: 56
State Ranking: 78

Caldwell gave Oregon an early commitment in October of last year. Since then, the three-star prospect has notched offers from Colorado, Indiana, Iowa State, Missouri, Ole Miss, SMU, TCU and Texas Tech. Texas also threw its hat in the ring last week as cornerbacks coach Jason Washington, last year’s Big 12 Recruiter of the Year, stopped by his school to evaluate him. The Texas offer is a game changer for Caldwell as he grew up loving the Longhorns. Caldwell even called Texas a ‘dream school’ and while he has remained solid to the Ducks despite all the newfound attention, the Longhorns are giving him a lot to think about. So can UT flip him? It’s definitely a strong possibility. Texas currently holds 100 percent of Crystal Ball predictions. Caldwell is a tall, athletic corner with a ton of upside.

S CHRIS ADIMORA, MAYFAIR (CALIF.)

Weight: 195
National Ranking: 306
Position Ranking: 22
State Ranking: 37

Texas has had success recruiting the state of California this cycle, landing four-star Westlake Village (Calif.) outside linebacker De’Gabriel Floyd. The Longhorns are also in the mix with several other prospects on the West Coast, including Adimora. The four-star prospect plans to make a decision this summer and said Alabama, Boise State, Oregon and Texas are the schools standing out to him the most at this time. However, we have reason to believe this is a Boise State-Texas battle on the trail. Adimora will officially visit Boise State in June. Texas is slated to receive an OV in December as it hosted him for an unofficial visit last month for the annual spring game. Right now, the Longhorns appear to have the advantage in his recruitment. Texas holds 100 percent of Crystal Ball predictions.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GotThatFire said:

Oh nah I didn't read anything, just asking because it went pretty quiet after he OVd to USC, and I thought he was supposed to OV here this weekend, but I guess not? 

Who is Smith's primary recruiter? Hope we can pull it off

A USC 247 writer CB’d him to Texas after the USC visit and every Texas writer has been confident of Smith committing to Texas even after the USC visit. Suchomel’s report seems like a “we need to build some suspense” thing.

• Like 1

Ummm...

1 hour ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:
His OV has always been scheduled for June. I grant you he's a fast motherfucker, but I don't think he is so fast that he can turn back time.

Just in time for a real gotdam early summer heat wave..

If only he were from someplace hot and were used to the heat... because then taking him to the lake or hanging out by the pool would be enough to sell him on ways to beat the heat.

It can take an hour+ to get to the beach in LA (especially from the USC campus) depending on the time of day, but from the 40 Acres, over on Enfield, to Lake Austin can be done in a quarter of that time (depending on the time of day).

Ummm...

If only he were from someplace hot and were used to the heat... because then taking him to the lake or hanging out by the pool would be enough to sell him on ways to beat the heat.
It can take an hour+ to get to the beach in LA (especially from the USC campus) depending on the time of day, but from the 40 Acres, over on Enfield, to Lake Austin can be done in a quarter of that time (depending on the time of day).
It was a joke my good sir..

Just obsessing over official visit weather like a good message board geek. I don't think the recruits really gaf, otherwise tOSU and meatchicken would never get any commits with winter visits. Having said that, this new spring official visit thing was probably railroaded through the NCAA by Harbaugh and Meyer.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, billy_bats said:

So is a fucking blow torch. I moved out here to the "dry heat" 10 years ago and I'd exchange it any day for high 90's and some humidity.

I concur. If you haven't been here in the summer,  just stick your face in the oven or over the grill for 5 minutes and that's summer here. You need sunglasses every single day,  the skin burns fast,  and swimming pools feel like bath tubs unless you have temp control.

• Like 1

(E.J. Holland) The Stampede: Texas recruiting scoop from the road

— The race for four-star Katy Cinco Ranch inside linebacker David Gbenda is really heating up. I’ve had my Crystal Ball on Texas for a while now, but I’m close to going foggy. Texas A&M is gaining a ton of momentum in this recruitment and right now, I would put it at 50/50. The Aggies have really sold him hard on being a linebacker in the SEC and what it could mean for his future beyond college. Gbenda plans to visit both A&M and Texas in June, and those trips could have huge implications on the direction of his recruitment. However, it still appears he wants to wait until after the season to make a commitment.

— I still don’t feel that great about where Texas stands with four-star wide receiver Elijah Higgins. I changed my Crystal Ball to Stanford and have reason to believe the Cardinal have the edge in his recruitment. Stanford really wowed him on his recent unofficial visit and will likely receive an OV at some point this summer. Ohio State also seems to be in a better position than Texas and will receive an official visit on June 22. Higgins is trying to set up an official visit to Texas for this summer, but numbers are tight. According to a source, he wants to commit close to the start of his senior season. Texas has a lot of work to do.

— While in Austin, I had an opportunity to talk to a source really close to the recruitment of newly offered wide receiver Jaylen Ellis. This was an offer Ellis was waiting for and will have a huge role in his recruitment. I expect Ellis to make a visit in June, and the Longhorns have a good shot to flip him from Baylor if they make a strong push. According to the source, Ellis was already on the fence about his verbal pledge. This offer came just before it was too late.

— Texas kicked off the weekend by landing a commitment from four-star 2020 Austin Lake Travis quarterback Hudson Card. I had an opportunity to talk to his mother, who was elated with her son’s decision. Card wanted to be close to home and grew up around the Texas program. The decision was an easy one for the family. Card’s mother added that he is in the process of getting things in line to enroll early.

— So will Card’s commitment have any affect on elite wide receiver Garrett Wilson? The simple answer: No. At least not right now. According to a source familiar with his recruitment, Wilson just doesn’t have faith in the Texas offense and is concerned about the uncertainty at the quarterback position. He is also happy with his commitment to Ohio State and has confidence he can win a ton of games in Columbus.

— With Card in the fold, will Texas take another quarterback in the 2020 cycle? It’s too early to tell, but the Longhorns have evaluated a lot of options at the position and recently offered Malik Hornsby. From talking to those around him, Hornsby has very high interest in the Longhorns and wants to be close to home. His head coach, Robin Kirk, actually coached Texas Recruiting Director Bryan Carrington, so there is an obvious connection there. If Card’s commitment doesn’t scare him away, he’s definitely one to watch.

— The biggest commit of the weekend was five-star offensive lineman Tyler Johnson. This one was always going to be Texas. Johnson loves the campus, the staff, the coaches and the direction of the program. It was a slam-dunk for the Longhorns. Johnson initially wanted to take his time and enjoy the process but after a talk with his parents on Wednesday, Johnson decided it was time to just pull the trigger and become part of the class. Johnson’s recruiting coordinator, Kevin Goodwin, actually coached against Tom Herman when he was at Sam Houston State, and the two are good friends. UT is building a nice pipeline at Oak Ridge.

— Texas continued its big weekend by reeling in a commitment from Temple tight end Jared Wiley. While he wasn’t the highest rated prospect, Wiley has the size, athleticism and potential to succeed at the next level. Texas was by far his best offer, so it’s no surprise he pulled the trigger. According to sources, the staff has confidence it can develop Wiley into a key contributor down the line. Wiley is set to graduate in December and enroll early, which will only help.

— Two recruitments worth monitoring involve some familiar names. Texas is back in contact with four-star cornerback Jeffery Carter, who exchanged various messages with Jason Washington last week. Carter is the cousin of new Texas defensive line offer Taurean Carter, and the two want to play together at the next level. Texas has also been in touch with four-star Oklahoma offensive line commit EJ Ndoma-Ogar, who still plans to make visits this offseason.

— Texas is in a great position early on for five-star 2020 North Shore running back Zachary Evans. I expect him to be back on campus this summer after making several visits in the spring. Evans loves Stan Drayton’s resume, and his brother, who is playing a key role in his recruitment, is a big fan of the Texas program. Evans still likes SEC programs like Alabama, Georgia, where he’ll visit this weekend and LSU, but Texas still appears to be the frontrunner early on. With that said, Evans is still set on taking his recruitment the distance.

— I spoke to several South Dallas-area coaches and all expressed that they would love for Texas to hit the area harder on the recruiting trail. The coaches, who are all at big name programs, said Texas could have more success in one of the nation’s best hotbeds if it spent more time in the area and aggressively recruited it. With the talent evening out this cycle and being big in D-FW in 2020, I would expect Texas to allocate more resources to recruit the area. Schools like Duncanville, Lancaster and Bishop Dunne are producing major underclassmen talent.

Edited by satyanash

18 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Ummm...

Austin can win a lot of arguments, but not that one. LA Metro's Exposition line train goes directly from the USC campus to Santa Monica in ~25 minutes. 

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Texas is back in contact with four-star cornerback Jeffery Carter, who exchanged various messages with Jason Washington last week.

tenor.gif

So the kid is no longer a problem child? I thought that was the semi-consensus awhile back.