Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

49 minutes ago, Sensitive Ponytail Man said:

While we wait on a commit and ponder EJ’s Oedipal frappe tendencies, I thought I would mention an interesting factoid about beautiful European women viz a viz Aspen.  If you watched the Hedy Lamarr story the other night you heard that she basically invented Aspen as a ski resort.  One of her many wealthy husbands built a village there to remind her of her native Austria and assuage her boredom.  Eventually and inevitable she tried to claim it in the subsuequebt divorce but to no avail which I assume was due to her having a much shittier or possibly nonexistent lawyer compared to nth rich hubby.  Anyway this little tidbit of Aspen’s origins as a ski resort seems to be at odds with the Wikipedia version but I can’t offer any sort of reconciliation.  Anyway this Hedy Lamarr in addition to being a fox of the highest order (at least until she sadly disfigured herself with a series of ill advised plastic surgeries) was apparently also some sort of home spun scientific genious, who was posthumously credited with inventing the idea of frequency hopping to defeat German jamming of torpedo remote control signals.  Frequency hopping, we are told, became an essential component of modern wireless communications and had Ms Lamarr been properly componesated for the patent she coauthored would have reaped billions instead of just receiving an obscure and worthless pat on the back post death.  

Paragraphs are your friend.

When I took a tour of Temple Square in Salt Lake City, my two guides were a girl from Norway and a girl from Finland who both spoke English with pretty good accents. I told the girl from Finland that I stayed in the hostel located in the Olympic Stadium in Helsinki before and after I took a short trip to St. Petersburg, Russia, so...

So this pretty much ties the last 2 pages up nicely by including Mormon missions*, a girl from Norway, times spent in Helsinki, and side trips to Russia.

#Winning #TigerBlood

*EDIT: Just realized that I was combining what I read on the Texas Summer Football Thread about Angilau with the Texas Recruiting Notes 2019 thread.
Pics or stfu
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

It means a junior going into their senior year.

People use it during the spring/summer to differentiate between players who are going to be seniors and players who are seniors right now and are about to graduate. 

I should have just put the word “rising” in quotations. Like is this supposed to be the year Vahe finally exceeds his freshman performance levels?

18 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I met a German girl in England who was going to school in France and we danced in Mississippi at an Alpha Kappa dance.

Is there a chance you could recant the rant  from the ants in your pants stance at this Mississippi German France dance?

Thanks, in advance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sensitive Ponytail Man said:

While we wait on a commit and ponder EJ’s Oedipal frappe tendencies, I thought I would mention an interesting factoid about beautiful European women viz a viz Aspen.  If you watched the Hedy Lamarr story the other night you heard that she basically invented Aspen as a ski resort.  One of her many wealthy husbands built a village there to remind her of her native Austria and assuage her boredom.  Eventually and inevitable she tried to claim it in the subsuequebt divorce but to no avail which I assume was due to her having a much shittier or possibly nonexistent lawyer compared to nth rich hubby.  Anyway this little tidbit of Aspen’s origins as a ski resort seems to be at odds with the Wikipedia version but I can’t offer any sort of reconciliation.  Anyway this Hedy Lamarr in addition to being a fox of the highest order (at least until she sadly disfigured herself with a series of ill advised plastic surgeries) was apparently also some sort of home spun scientific genious, who was posthumously credited with inventing the idea of frequency hopping to defeat German jamming of torpedo remote control signals.  Frequency hopping, we are told, became an essential component of modern wireless communications and had Ms Lamarr been properly componesated for the patent she coauthored would have reaped billions instead of just receiving an obscure and worthless pat on the back post death.  

I believe Blazing Saddles confirmed this to be Hedly . . .

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I have lots of money and travel to exotic locations.

Because I’ve traveled to exotic locations, I don’t have lots of money. Actually, I wouldn’t have anyway. I just figured that if I were going to be broke, I might as well acquire some nice travel memories along the way. 

Are we on commit watch today, or is that tomorrow? Either way, can’t come soon enough.

• Like 1

EJ after dark: Texas sees A&M commit, five-star recruits

— Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington spent some time in the San Antonio-area this week and stopped by to see elite Converse Judson defensive lineman DeMarvin Leal. While he is committed to Texas A&M, the Longhorns are continuing to push for his services and recently hosted him for an official visit. Washington also saw four-star 2020 cornerback Jaylon Jones, who could be in line for an offer.

— Texas assistants Herb Hand and Corby Meekins stopped by Houston North Forest to see four-star offensive lineman Javonne Shepherd and four-star 2020 wide receiver Demond Demas. Both prospects are high on Texas. The two also saw five-star offensive lineman Tyler Johnson, who we still believe is a Texas lean. Hand checked in on four-star 2020 offensive lineman Chad Lindberg this week as well.

— Texas running backs coach Stan Drayton swung by North Shore to see five-star 2020 running back Zachary Evans. Texas is still the early frontrunner for Evans, but he remains high on schools like Alabama and LSU. Drayton also stopped by Waco Connally, which is home to four-star 2020 offensive lineman Trent Pullen and four-star 2020 cornerback Korie Black.

— Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar made his way to New Caney to check in on four-star 2020 defensive back Dwight McGlothern, who is high on Texas, Texas A&M and LSU early on. Naivar also hit D-FW and saw Darius Snow, the nation’s top 2020 safety, and four-star Duncanville safety Chris Thompson. Both are very high on Texas at this point in the process.

— Texas wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer is still looking for outside wide receiver options and evaluated a pair of intriguing prospects this week in New Deal’s DK Blaylock and Odessa Permian’s Peyton Powell. Both hold P5 offers and are starting to garner plenty of attention on the recruiting trail. They are worth keeping an eye on.

— Texas offensive coordinator Tim Beck recently stopped by Carrollton Ranchview to evaluate rising quarterback/athlete Michael Henderson. He holds a number of P5 offers and is a very interesting prospect. While some project him as a linebacker, Henderson is set on playing on the offensive side of the ball.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

The two also saw five-star offensive lineman Tyler Johnson, who we still believe is a Texas lean. Hand checked in on four-star 2020 offensive lineman Chad Lindberg this week as well.

Ha, ha. Shit EJ, he is committing to us soon. You should know this.

Eric Nahlin: Synthesizing differing, yet familiar recruiting approaches

There's a pretty funny Friends episode where the oafish Ross tries to relive his college musical glory days when he "found his sound." A bit hesitant at first, he eventually breaks out his keyboard synthesizer to play for the rest of the gang. A cacaphony of animal noises and simple beats befalls them. The piece culminates in the stereotypical movie sound of an explosion. Hopefully Tom Herman's 'sound' comes together a little bit more coherently as he looks to synthesize the positives of Mack Brown's and Charlie Strong's approaches while discarding the negatives. I feel confident he will capably marry those two approaches, but as we all know, conditions aren't nearly as favorable in 2019 as they were in 2018. 

This approach will require patience and persistence from the staff. Both Brown and Strong had pockets of recruiting down time. No such time will exist for this staff. Before we get into what's going on currently in recruiting, let's relive Mack and Strong's strengths and weaknesses. 

A couple of years ago I mentioned how both of UT's previous coaches were Mr. February, just on opposite ends of the recruiting calendar. From that, one can infer their approaches, simplified as early for Mack and late for Strong. Late era Mack was famous for his run of commits on and around Junior Days. That created momentum, solidified the class foundation, and gave the staff 'bell cows' to help carry water. Recruiting was largely done before the season, which is why the internet fell in love with late developing Adrian Colbert. Guys come out of nowhere every year but this was foreign territory for Texas fans. Early recruiting is another reason landing Jordan Hicks and Jackson Jeffcoat late felt like Christmas and why it stung so much to lose Darrell Scott. Remember him?

Under Strong we came to better understand the value of senior film. We also saw him help create late momentum that carried his two full classes across the finish line (one could make the case that Herman also did this between NSD1 and 2). For the first time in a long time, Texas will have a large contingency of upperclassmen on the field because of how Strong was able to close 2015 and 2016. There were some absolutely tricky recruitments to navigate, too.

While Texas recruited well under late-era Mack and Strong, it didn't recruit at a championship level. Both of those approaches also had some blind spots, and that's not even to mention the operator errors involved. Despite having as much data as possible, Charlie Strong still made many poor mental evaluations. He was also too self-reliant after assembling a poor recruiting staff for the most part. Strong's approach is only sustainable if you win. Mack's early approach means you need airtight early evaluations, both athletically, frame-wise, and mentally. We saw our share of bad evaluations -- especially late -- that were exacerbated by the decline of program culture and staff vision.

Recruiting philosopher Scipio has done a great job discussing aspects of Herman's exit-stensialism, particularly the Western Advantage in which Herman ignores convention and in-state nativism, and instead ganders westward to not only fill out his class, but also help set the class floor. It's working incredibly well, even better than to what's visible to the naked eye. This is the coupling of Mack's early approach with Strong's fondness for going out-of-state. From talking to program sources, we also know the staff wants to play the long game, similar to Strong, but with a better eye for cultural fit. Program fit is a huge piece of the puzzle. Of course they want high-ceiling players, but they're accounting for floor just as much.

What about early recruiting, like Mack? I guess it depends on what you consider early. We predicted a big May, and still feel good about that. Texas is currently at only six commits, but recruiting can change in very short order. The staff will always have early room for players who meet its standards, but reaches won't occur until much later in the cycle, and by then it's not uncommon for better options to emerge than previous priority targets (Mike Williams > Ronnie Perkins for example).

Obviously this class has not gone perfectly according to plan. Garrett Wilson committed to Ohio State. Demani Richardson and DeMarvin Leal committed to A&M. That's the dog barking and cow mooing in Ross's 'sound'. What will be important for Herman is this recruiting cycle finishing like Ross' "piece."

(Scipio Tex) Big 12 Recruiting Philosophies: A Look At The 2019 Classes

If you want to understand Big 12 programs, observe how they recruit. Outside of Texas and Oklahoma - who can reliably be counted on to field nationally ranked classes - the Big 12 is the Land of the Three Star. (In fact, I propose that the conference logo should be three stars over a tiny television set that no one is watching.) Baylor, TCU, Tech, Kansas State and Oklahoma State operate divergent models and it's fascinating to see how they approach their three star lifeblood. 

Three stars come in myriad forms - maxed out system kids, high ceiling developmental types, JUCOs, position projections, great performers with subpar measurables, great measurables with mediocre game tape, and a dozen other permutations. Three stars are the most interesting and rewarding recruits to evaluate because they require both imagination and discernment. You have to understand what matters, what can be developed or coached up, and not dwell on twigs when there's forest all around begging to be noticed. How a recruiting analyst writes about the mid-tier FBS prospect ("He's 6-3, 340 as a junior, so he has college size!" and "The 6-6, 220 former basketball player has strength and weight concerns!" and "The three sport 5-11, 190 pound, 4.5 40, dual threat QB lacks accuracy and arm strength, so he'll need to work on his passing to improve his ranking.") typically tells me more about the analyst than the recruit. What do the recruits tell us?

The Recruiting Elite 

Oklahoma - 11 recruits, 1 5 star, 7 4 stars, 3 3 stars (92.81 avg)

I regret to inform you that Oklahoma is doing a good job. With half of their class hay in the barn, their recruits are as good as their rankings suggest. Riley has a good message to peddle: college playoffs, Heisman, another Big 12 title, Boy Genius offense, big-time football. OU is back in DFW with a vengeance and they're blending Texas incursions with their wider national recruiting model to good effect. There are two OU recruiting classes so far: a best-in-nation offensive class and a bottom of the Top 25 defensive class. Consistent with what they've put on the field, except that Mikey's defense dreams of being bottom of the Top 25. Class upside depends on how well they shore up their defensive recruiting late.

Texas - 6 recruits, 4 4 stars, 2 3 stars (92.6 avg)

Texas has in-state headwinds and is 1). appropriately pivoting to national recruiting 2). fighting long-term in hotly contested recruitments 3). waiting to see what 2019 Fall film harvests in late risers. It will require some patience from staff and fans alike. You're an IT reader. You already know the deal. 

Now we enter the most interesting recruiting environment, where radically different philosophies compete for primacy. Welcome to the Land of the Three Stars! 

Fat Gare's House of Developmentals

TCU- 10 recruits, 1 4 star, 9 3 stars (86.37 average)

We're slashing stars at Fat Gare's House of Developmentals! Five stars? Piss on 'em. Four stars? Don't need 'em! But we'll take 'em. Three stars? Only if their other best offer is Purdue! We're slashing stars at Fat Gare's House of Developmentals and we'll still go 9-3! If you didn't read my OOS recruiting posts because you hate having good opinions, you might have missed the fact that TCU is a national recruiting program. This plays against fan assumption, but Patterson is always going to find inefficiencies rather than cry about the in-state commitments he loses late to SEC programs, Texas and OU. 40% of their current class is from OOS (Florida, Ohio, Iowa, Louisiana) and you can always count on three Patterson specials: high ceiling position switches, tweeners (is he a DE or DT? S or LB? LB or DE? So perplexing!) and "too small, too slow" players at LB, CB, WR and RB with good quickness rather than straight line speed that TCU turns into assets with novel concepts like scheme and development. 

The best player in the class is a dual threat QB from Iowa, Max Duggan. Duggan isn't a diamond in the rough. More like an obvious jewel. He'd be even more highly ranked if he played his ball in Texas or Georgia instead of rural Iowa. Here's his HUDL. Duggan doesn't look athletic because he's playing in Iowa. He's 6-2, 190, 4.58 40, 4.1 shuttle, 33.5 vertical athletic. And he throws a great ball. Somehow, Patterson pulled him. Best summary: TCU has a weird knack for finding football players with footballerness. Not just in Texas. 

The SPARQ Whores of Waco

Baylor - 8 recruits, 8 3 stars (86.84)

I like teams that commit to a personnel philosophy so that we can evaluate their wisdom over time. Unlike TCU, Baylor is committed overwhelmingly to in-state athletes and they value gross athleticism over any other attribute. Baylor is carving out a niche that's truly unique: the three star SPARQ freak. They did it in 2018. And it's happening again in 2019. 

Hakeem Vance 109.17 
Jaylen Ellis 117.39 
Myles Brooks 121.41
Qualan Jones 130.35

These Baylor commits are all nationally ranked SPARQ peformers. Jones has the best SPARQ in Texas. Ellis and Brooks are right up there, ranked above much more prominent recruits like Garrett Wilson. Want a scholarship from Matt Rhule? Post a big SPARQ. Junior film? Not so important. If it's too good, then you're a 4 or 5 star and Baylor won't get you. Rhule's compiling three star twitchy athletes the way Eric Nahlin collects porcelain unicorns. That means he's going to miss on soft-skill dudes and sign a few too many Looks-Like-Tarzan, Plays-Like-Jane types, but he's playing a numbers game. Sign enough freaks and the ones who pan should have Baylor punching well above their weight on Saturdays. Downside? Baylor is missing big guys. I think Rhule will address that through JUCO and growing his own from other positions. We'll see how it works out. 

Iowa State 7 commitments, 7 three stars (85.1)

Did you read the TCU entry? That's what Matt Campbell is doing at ISU, but with lesser proximate talent. They can't get the best guys, but they do target the right guys. Their most intriguing 2019 recruit is a DE from South Dakota named Blake Peterson, who may or may not be an albino, but I'd take him in an instant if I could be assured that we'd eliminate all day games in September. We'll learn a lot about Campbell's recruiting ceiling if he can go to another bowl game this year. Then he'll realize that it's fixed no matter what he does. ISU is competing for a lot of the same homegrown guys with Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Michigan State, Wisconsin and recruiting success for those schools isn't good for Cyclone upside. 

Oklahoma State 7 commitments, 1 4 star, 5 3 stars (84.8)

Gundy's staff has their model. Find their QB wherever, do surprisingly well in DFW and rural East Texas with bottom of Texas Top 100 dudes, sell their NFL draft picks to WRs, get some late qualifying academic types and then do a nice job supplementing holes with JUCOs and transfers. There's always been a sense from some that the right recruiting staff could do more at OSU, but it's hard to argue against the best coaching regime the school has ever known. No Jimmy Johnson retorts in the comments. JJ went 8-4 once and got the hell out. 

Kansas State 2 commitments, 2 3 stars 

The current KSU model under Bill Snyder (remember, he has had several permutations) is the antithesis of Baylor's approach under Rhule. Snyder waits for senior film, prefers what he sees from athletes in games over testing and he seeks precise cultural and athletic fits for a contrarian approach that allows him to harvest diamonds at positions that other Big 12 teams don't even acknowledge. He's amazing and no one does more with less. The problem is that Snyder used to pair excellent coaching with some real NFL talent (last seen in Manhattan in force in 2012). They're winning on contrarianism and development, but the ceiling is inherent to their model. I shudder at what their floor is when he leaves. 

West Virginia 5 commitments, 5 3 stars

Read the Oklahoma State entry but factor in more talent beta. The Mountaineers tend towards a pretty predictable build/build/good team/good team/decline/build model based on their penchant for redshirting, JUCOs and the natural limitations of their immediate geographic base. 

Texas Tech 2 commitments, 2 3 stars

Kingsbury is recruiting like a coach already looking for a redemptive OC gig after his inevitable firing. Recruits have noticed.

Kansas 1 commitment, 1 4 star 

Beaty is a solid recruiter (note to Tom Herman) and, incredibly, their one commitment is a stud QB from New Orleans, but the regime is 3-33 and they're getting pink slipped unless they pull off a miracle bowl game. 

So there you have it. Not all three star recruiting models are built the same.

10 hours ago, Sensitive Ponytail Man said:

You know, it's ok to loathe these people. There's so much life in you, and so much emotional larceny in these others.

6 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

He's already put out the coffee emoji for Johnson he's not going to come out and say that he's committing to Texas soon

I think he forgets what he writes. Calling Johnson a Texas lean after the coffee emoji is just silly and not worth the paper it was written on.

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Maybe he owns. Lotta high rollers on this thread.

Guess I'll have to find another board to hang out on.

I aint got no money, don't go to any place more exotic than Tyler,  but I do hang out at Wal-Mart when I go,  sometimes dine at the McDonalds in Wal-Mart.  

This board may be out of my league.  

8 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Guess I'll have to find another board to hang out on.

I aint got no money, don't go to any place more exotic than Tyler,  but I do hang out at Wal-Mart when I go,  sometimes dine at the McDonalds in Wal-Mart.  

This board may be out of my league.  

Maybe, especially if you think Tyler is exotic.

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/05/open-post-may-25th-27th/

– Caught up with Ricky Stromberg and the 6’3″ and 320-pound class of 2019 offensive guard out of Union HS in Tulsa (OK) recently where he informed me that OL Coach Hand has been in contact with him as of late and went by Union to see him in person last week. At the moment Stromberg currently holds offers from programs like Arkansas State, Central Michigan, Nevada, Tulsa and Utah State among others at this time. Baylor is another program he says he has been talking with lately.

One thing I don’t think many have taken notice of him is that out of all The Opening Regional events this year, Stromberg tested out as a Top 3 performer in the country for offensive lineman as you will see below. And remember when looking at his numbers that he is 6’3″ and 320-pounds.

Stromberg let me know he will be camping with Texas at their OL camp and that Hand has talked with him about also getting reps at center so that he is versatile. If you haven’t seen his film just yet, check it out below and you will see why I refer to him as ‘The Animal’. He’s a name to keep in mind moving forward. – (Alex)

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4379512/5a2873ab64e8dd1ec461a1b1

– Texas 2019 WR target, Jake Smith took his official visit to USC this past weekend. As you know, Smith is down to Texas and USC. He will announce his decision in June, sometime after his official visit to Texas which is scheduled for next weekend (June 1st – 3rd).

Jake and his family lost a loved one this past weekend, right after their USC trip. So, out of respect we will obviously give them their space.

I will note that I am told the USC visit did go well, but per a source, “it wasn’t Texas.” Things still seem to be trending towards Texas here. – (Super K)

– Caught up with 2019 Little Rock (AR) Joe T. Robinson OLB/DE Zach Williams this morning. Williams was in Austin for a visit just a few weeks back but let me know that last week DL Coach Oscar Giles was in town to watch him practice and stated that he actually stayed for the entire practice.

“Coach Giles came to my practice (last Wednesday 5.16) and stayed the whole time,” Williams said. ” He texts me everyday and texts (with) my dad. He sends me encouraging notes. He told me that I am the #1 OLB/WDE on their board.”

At this time Williams said a date has not been decided on for an official just yet but said his dad and Coach Giles are discussing it. While on his visit to Texas Williams got the chance to meet Coach Herman when the offer was extended and they way it was done was something that stood out to Williams.

“He was great to meet. He had his wife with him when he made the offer. He seems like a strong family person which is important to me.

Even though a date hasn’t been set just yet don’t be shocked if  one is in the near future as Williams clarified where Texas stands with him currently.

“One of my top schools,” he stated. – (Alex)

– In this class, Texas is pushing hard to upgrade their talent at the wide receiver position. They’ve finally got some quarterbacks on campus to create a competition. The offensive line is a work in progress but improving.

But they want those Dylan Wright’s in the fold.

Wright recently took a return trip to Texas A&M. I spoke with Wright’s father to get a sense of where things are for them in the process.

In terms of narrowing things down Wright’s father says, “We still need to visit FSU and then he’ll be ready to get a top list, maybe a top ten then a top five”.

From what I gather, Texas will undoubtedly make that list. The family has taken two spring visits to Texas.

“Texas is beautiful. We love Texas. It’s a family vibe. We’ve got a pretty good relationship with coach Drew [Mehringer]. We love Texas”.

Still, the Wright family wants to see schools like Texas and others during the season, “Waiting till we get a good look at the offenses in the first couple games of the season. All the schools say they got a need but we’ll see when the season starts. But that’s why we want to see what these schools show on the field”.

Dylan and his family won’t be ready to make a decision this summer. As Mr. Wright said, they want to see teams play during the season.

Another thing they are keeping their eye on is the recruiting success of Texas and others, “You don’t want to go to a school there’s not other dogs like you. He (Dylan) wants to play for a championship. Texas is getting pretty good recruits in there. If the kids can believe in what the coaches are doing, they’ll win”.

And Mr. Wright is hoping that Texas does win because he is, as he describes himself, “A die hard Texas fan. I’m always gonna believe they’re a contender and if they aren’t then I always hope for some good recruits”.

Texas fans are hoping for both, a championship and one of those “good recruits” whose name happens to be Dylan Wright. – (Super K)