Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

IT recruiting notes:

STATE OF RECRUITING 

“It’s not materializing in commitments just yet but it is indicative of interest even committed guys have in Texas right now.” 

That eloquently summarizes Texas football recruiting in the last month. The rational fan realizes a 6-1 start (1st in the Big 12) and No. 7 national ranking heading into the bye week doesn't instantly produce commitments if you're being highly selective. The start strengthens the bridge that is being built in UT's Class of 2019. While the win streak helps solidify what the Horns have already gathered, an almost equally important facet of the recruiting game, it also has kids going through their phones looking for phone the numbers of Derek Chang and Bryan Carrington - the linchpins of Texas Recruiting.

These prospects have all reached out to the Longhorns recently --

Marcus Banks (CB): The one-time Texas lean committed to LSU last summer. Now he's looking at Alabama and Texas A&M. With KW2 and Caldwell in the bag, there's no reason to make room. Banks had his shot.

Marcel Brooks (LB): Eric and I have been debating who the best player is in Texas for the 2019 cycle. From a potential/high end upside standpoint, it's probably Brooks. He's simply dynamic at a must-have position. But Brooks has a lot of baggage and question marks. The LSU pledge is not a take. (Someone will ask for details but that's Happy Hour material)

Kennedy Lewis (WR): Despite potential upcoming visits to Notre Dame and Florida, I like UT's chances with the former TCU commit, Lewis, who might wait until Nov/Dec to announce his intentions. This could get iffy depending on what happens with Elijah Higgins. Numbers are getting a little tight.

Chris Steele (DB): The five-star corner from California who repeatedly talked up UT behind the scenes for quite some time de-committed from USC this week. He, like Banks, had his chance. Would UT still entertain a visit to the ATX? Yes, but on their terms.

Bobby Wolfe (DB): The A&M pledge is looking around and might've butt-dialed the Texas staff by accident. A dozen times. Highly, highly unlikely.

Noah Cain (RB): The five-star running back from the IMG Academy via Denton Guyer has set up his official visit to Austin (11/3) when the Horns host West Virginia. While LSU looks like the team to beat, the Tigers have found itself in the precarious position of taking so many kids so early in the cycle. I'm told they are in the middle of a numbers crunch and have to be judicious down the stretch just to have room for guys they should've saved spots for. Texas has played it cool with him and five-star teammate Trey Sanders.

While you've seen most sites beat the "Sanders to Texas" drum rather loudly, I'm here to temper expectations.

Overall, Texas is still interested in some, others not so much. The start to the season has the UT staff in the enviable position of having leverage.

Quick Note: Trinity Catholic (St. Louis, MO) four-star WR Marcus Washington announces his future destination a week from today. With Ohio State, Florida, and Missouri all throwing their collective hats in the Washington sweepstakes, we feel confident Texas is the team to beat.

One thing Texas has going for it is the McCombs Business School. Washington wants to major in business and knows the prestige of UT's business school.

COACHES ON THE ROAD

Herb Hand- Katy Taylor/Mayde Creek: The OL taskmaster will see TCU commit Andrew Coker and get a peek at Marcus Stripling. Hand will also swing by Dulles to see 2019 offensive tackle Isaiah Hookfin.

Stan Drayton - North Shore/Sterling: If you think there's any tailback in the state not named Zach Evans that coach Drayton will be watching on Friday, welcome to the site. On Thursday, Drayton went by Mesquite Poteet to check in on Seth McGowan. No offer was made but they have real interest, especially in another two running back class.

Corby Meekins - Clear Creek/Clear Lake: Coach Meekins will hit one of the best rivalries in all of Houston - Creek/Lake. Being a Clear Creek alum, I can tell you this rivalry spans all sports, plus Chad Lindberg is fun to watch and a key recruit in the 2020 class.

Craig Naivar - Plano East/Plano: Coach Naivar is ready to see his latest pledge, Tyler Owens. The budding safety is big, fast, and playing at a high level in his senior campaign.

Tim Beck - PNG/Dayton: The first member of #fUTure19, Roschon Johnson, gets a visit from his future OC/QB coach. 2020 OL Jaylen Garth and Texas are looking dandy too. Garth is certainly 'press' worthy.

Drew Mehringer - Mater Dei/JSerra: Get you some Cali weather with Bru McCoy and Elias Ricks, coach Mehringer. The McCoy's want to take a return visit for an unofficial. Mehringer should drop some Southwest drink coupons on the ground.

Jason Washington - Grayson/Newton: Coach Washington has Georgia on his mind while he checks out corner commit Kenyatta Watson II. One to watch is Grayson's Kenyon Jackson. The WR and A&M pledge might be more open than people realize. Obviously Texas has options at the position but recruiting is weird.

Derek Warehime - Temple/Ellison: Coach Warehime will check out one of his tight end commits, Jared Wiley, and get a good look at 2020 WR Quentin Johnson, who is slowly blowing up with OU being his latest offer. Could an offer be forthcoming from UT?

Oscar Giles - Many/Lakeview: Coach Giles will see Many DE Myron Warren. The 3-star and recent TCU de-commit seems to be growing on Texas with LSU waiting in the background. This recruitment is pretty simple; LSU offers, he's a Tiger. If not, UT is in the driver's seat.

Tom Herman - Katy Taylor/Mayde Creek, North Shore/Sterling, Clear Creek/Clear Lake: Coach Herman will hit a few games in the Houston area tonight. The main attraction is to see the North Shore Show starring junior RB Zach Evans. Herman isn't missing that episode. He also wants to get a closer look at Andrew Coker (Katy Taylor) and Chad Lindberg (Clear Creek).

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT recruiting notes:

Hide contents

STATE OF RECRUITING 

“It’s not materializing in commitments just yet but it is indicative of interest even committed guys have in Texas right now.” 

That eloquently summarizes Texas football recruiting in the last month. The rational fan realizes a 6-1 start (1st in the Big 12) and No. 7 national ranking heading into the bye week doesn't instantly produce commitments if you're being highly selective. The start strengthens the bridge that is being built in UT's Class of 2019. While the win streak helps solidify what the Horns have already gathered, an almost equally important facet of the recruiting game, it also has kids going through their phones looking for phone the numbers of Derek Chang and Bryan Carrington - the linchpins of Texas Recruiting.

These prospects have all reached out to the Longhorns recently --

Marcus Banks (CB): The one-time Texas lean committed to LSU last summer. Now he's looking at Alabama and Texas A&M. With KW2 and Caldwell in the bag, there's no reason to make room. Banks had his shot.

Marcel Brooks (LB): Eric and I have been debating who the best player is in Texas for the 2019 cycle. From a potential/high end upside standpoint, it's probably Brooks. He's simply dynamic at a must-have position. But Brooks has a lot of baggage and question marks. The LSU pledge is not a take. (Someone will ask for details but that's Happy Hour material)

Kennedy Lewis (WR): Despite potential upcoming visits to Notre Dame and Florida, I like UT's chances with the former TCU commit, Lewis, who might wait until Nov/Dec to announce his intentions. This could get iffy depending on what happens with Elijah Higgins. Numbers are getting a little tight.

Chris Steele (DB): The five-star corner from California who repeatedly talked up UT behind the scenes for quite some time de-committed from USC this week. He, like Banks, had his chance. Would UT still entertain a visit to the ATX? Yes, but on their terms.

Bobby Wolfe (DB): The A&M pledge is looking around and might've butt-dialed the Texas staff by accident. A dozen times. Highly, highly unlikely.

Noah Cain (RB): The five-star running back from the IMG Academy via Denton Guyer has set up his official visit to Austin (11/3) when the Horns host West Virginia. While LSU looks like the team to beat, the Tigers have found itself in the precarious position of taking so many kids so early in the cycle. I'm told they are in the middle of a numbers crunch and have to be judicious down the stretch just to have room for guys they should've saved spots for. Texas has played it cool with him and five-star teammate Trey Sanders.

While you've seen most sites beat the "Sanders to Texas" drum rather loudly, I'm here to temper expectations.

Overall, Texas is still interested in some, others not so much. The start to the season has the UT staff in the enviable position of having leverage.

Quick Note: Trinity Catholic (St. Louis, MO) four-star WR Marcus Washington announces his future destination a week from today. With Ohio State, Florida, and Missouri all throwing their collective hats in the Washington sweepstakes, we feel confident Texas is the team to beat.

One thing Texas has going for it is the McCombs Business School. Washington wants to major in business and knows the prestige of UT's business school.

COACHES ON THE ROAD

Herb Hand- Katy Taylor/Mayde Creek: The OL taskmaster will see TCU commit Andrew Coker and get a peek at Marcus Stripling. Hand will also swing by Dulles to see 2019 offensive tackle Isaiah Hookfin.

Stan Drayton - North Shore/Sterling: If you think there's any tailback in the state not named Zach Evans that coach Drayton will be watching on Friday, welcome to the site. On Thursday, Drayton went by Mesquite Poteet to check in on Seth McGowan. No offer was made but they have real interest, especially in another two running back class.

Corby Meekins - Clear Creek/Clear Lake: Coach Meekins will hit one of the best rivalries in all of Houston - Creek/Lake. Being a Clear Creek alum, I can tell you this rivalry spans all sports, plus Chad Lindberg is fun to watch and a key recruit in the 2020 class.

Craig Naivar - Plano East/Plano: Coach Naivar is ready to see his latest pledge, Tyler Owens. The budding safety is big, fast, and playing at a high level in his senior campaign.

Tim Beck - PNG/Dayton: The first member of #fUTure19, Roschon Johnson, gets a visit from his future OC/QB coach. 2020 OL Jaylen Garth and Texas are looking dandy too. Garth is certainly 'press' worthy.

Drew Mehringer - Mater Dei/JSerra: Get you some Cali weather with Bru McCoy and Elias Ricks, coach Mehringer. The McCoy's want to take a return visit for an unofficial. Mehringer should drop some Southwest drink coupons on the ground.

Jason Washington - Grayson/Newton: Coach Washington has Georgia on his mind while he checks out corner commit Kenyatta Watson II. One to watch is Grayson's Kenyon Jackson. The WR and A&M pledge might be more open than people realize. Obviously Texas has options at the position but recruiting is weird.

Derek Warehime - Temple/Ellison: Coach Warehime will check out one of his tight end commits, Jared Wiley, and get a good look at 2020 WR Quentin Johnson, who is slowly blowing up with OU being his latest offer. Could an offer be forthcoming from UT?

Oscar Giles - Many/Lakeview: Coach Giles will see Many DE Myron Warren. The 3-star and recent TCU de-commit seems to be growing on Texas with LSU waiting in the background. This recruitment is pretty simple; LSU offers, he's a Tiger. If not, UT is in the driver's seat.

Tom Herman - Katy Taylor/Mayde Creek, North Shore/Sterling, Clear Creek/Clear Lake: Coach Herman will hit a few games in the Houston area tonight. The main attraction is to see the North Shore Show starring junior RB Zach Evans. Herman isn't missing that episode. He also wants to get a closer look at Andrew Coker (Katy Taylor) and Chad Lindberg (Clear Creek).

Finally, an update with real information. Thanks.

Look- we have to stop being pussies about the way other schools recruit Texas targets.  Yes, OU is going to throw everything they've got at McCoy -- bacon cobb salad, supreme dippers platter, 2-for-1 entrees  with free appetizer and dessert.  
If Texas panics and tries to interfere with that kind of spread, we're fucked, and other recruits will sense the desperation.  I think you need to take a deep breath, let the food poisoning runs its course, and in due time, McCoy will be ours.

This post had me laughing my ass off. This is the type of stuff that makes Surly great.
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Machinator said:

That eloquently summarizes

Lulz.  I had to read that awkward ass opening sentence twice to understand what it was saying, then the article immediately describes it as eloquent.

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I mean, if we are really going to say we are so proud we might only consider listening to Steele that is crazy talk. 

All of the other guys though made their choice. Good luck to you. 

It's because he really likes to lead coaching staffs on, and he's already burned  us once with his bullshit 

Edited by Fud

5 minutes ago, Nope said:

Source for the improper benefits thing?

Saw it on spurs talk from TFLoss.

"While 2019 St. John Bosco HS CB Chris Steele claims USC isn't the perfect fit for him, the Trojans actually parted ways with him because of the high potential for NCAA drama. 
Shortly after Steele committed to USC, the Trojan compliance office was approached by multiple parties, including USC247.com, with evidence he took improper benefits. The evidence shows these benefits were funneled from USC recruiting reporters. Scott Schrader of TrojanInsider.com and Ryan Young of TrojanSports.com are the two reporters accused of doing so. Ryan Abraham and Gerard Martinez of USCFootball.com were also said to be approached about providing improper benefits to Steele, but there's no evidence they did."

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

"While 2019 St. John Bosco HS CB Chris Steele claims USC isn't the perfect fit for him, the Trojans actually parted ways with him because of the high potential for NCAA drama. 
Shortly after Steele committed to USC, the Trojan compliance office was approached by multiple parties, including USC247.com, with evidence he took improper benefits. The evidence shows these benefits were funneled from USC recruiting reporters. Scott Schrader of TrojanInsider.com and Ryan Young of TrojanSports.com are the two reporters accused of doing so. Ryan Abraham and Gerard Martinez of USCFootball.com were also said to be approached about providing improper benefits to Steele, but there's no evidence they did."

Hamm pulls up a chair......

• Like 1

Isn’t one of those guys someone that TrojanPrincess knows?

36 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

LOL at the idea that USC would stay away from an athlete because of improper benefits. That 2005 team had a higher salary than the current Los Angeles Chargers. 

4 hours ago, Ben Ficus said:

Look- we have to stop being pussies about the way other schools recruit Texas targets.  Yes, OU is going to throw everything they've got at McCoy -- bacon cobb salad, supreme dippers platter, 2-for-1 entrees  with free appetizer and dessert, their sisterwives, and all the bags of dicks in the world.  

If Texas panics and tries to interfere with that kind of spread, we're fucked, and other recruits will sense the desperation.  I think you need to take a deep breath, let the food poisoning runs its course, and in due time, McCoy will be ours.

fify

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

Not sure what it means, the Tech Rivals site says they have confirmed  Peyton Powell will be in Lubbock this week end.  Has visited Tech 3 times previously I believe it is.

TFB said the same.

Texas sites still feel very confident about us landing Powell.

8 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

Not sure what it means, the Tech Rivals site says they have confirmed  Peyton Powell will be in Lubbock this week end.  Has visited Tech 3 times previously I believe it is.

Makes sense since they're the closest school for him and only a couple hours away. Why not go have a fun weekend?

9 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Like having to pick between a pair of ugly twins.

I'm wondering:  Is Midland more "LIT" than the Dixie Chicken in B/CS? 

Or is it too close to call?

I've never been to Lubbock, but from the looks of the young ladies who frequently matriculate to Texas Tech, I would think that Lubbock has the more attractive of the "ugly twins". Once night falls, you don't see the landscape & architecture out there, you see the drunk girls in front of you. 

Oh to be a stud high school player in a football crazy state with college girls trying to show me a good time...

18 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB said the same.

Texas sites still feel very confident about us landing Powell.

Oh, I'm aware.  Just thought his timing and the fact it was his third visit was a little interesting.  Believe me, I'm hardly putting him in the committed to TT column.  He has demonstrated more than a passing interest though.

16 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I've never been to Lubbock, but from the looks of the young ladies who frequently matriculate to Texas Tech, I would think that Lubbock has the more attractive of the "ugly twins". Once night falls, you don't see the landscape & architecture out there, you see the drunk girls in front of you. 

Oh to be a stud high school player in a football crazy state with college girls trying to show me a good time...

Your skills of perception are to be admired.  If only all of us had the skill to form hard and fast judgments regarding landscape and architecture pertaining to places we've never been.

7 hours ago, Fud said:

Technically, EEs don't have to sign a LOI, they can just show up to campus. They can even sign papers that are binding to multiple schools that are binding to the schools but not to the player. 

No player has to sign an LOI, irrespective of enrollment period. Baylor attempted to game avoiding NCAA violations with Devin Duvernay by simply never sending him an LOI after seeing him perform more than is allowed. Hence when they “released” players from their LOI because of the Briles scandal, his name wasn’t on the list. Can’t release someone who never was officially caught in the first place. 

Regarding Steele, I’m going to guess very few schools will actually touch this guy if there’s anything to the allegations, whether Newy25 thinks they’re all pussies or not. Whatever the case, fuck that guy and I hope he blows wherever he goes. He’s a lying bitch. 

Just now, closetojumping said:

No player has to sign an LOI, irrespective of enrollment period. Baylor attempted to game avoiding NCAA violations with Devin Duvernay by simply never sending him an LOI after seeing him perform more than is allowed. Hence when they “released” players from their LOI because of the Briles scandal, his name wasn’t on the list. Can’t release someone who never was officially caught in the first place. 

Regarding Steele, I’m going to guess very few schools will actually touch this guy if there’s anything to the allegations, whether Newy25 thinks they’re all pussies or not. Whatever the case, fuck that guy and I hope he blows wherever he goes. He’s a lying bitch. 

Right, but you'll see EE's not LOI sign much more frequently than summer guys 

59 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So what I hear you saying is that the kid is an OU lock..

• Like 2