Old Yearbook Scandals

Hugo Stiglitz

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Somewhere you have to have a cut off for this stuff to affect people.  It's definitely before 1970, but not sure how much before that.  

You know what would cut this off without a doubt?  Age limits at worst and term limits at best.  Why is someone who lived through the Jim Crow era even in office anymore?  Because he's hip and can relate to the 20-somethings? Or is it because he has a "D" or an "R" by his name and he has been successful in his role in the joint quest between R's and D' to make sure that only R's and D's are around?  That's why I didn't even get off my fucking couch to vote for McCain, if anything I would have voted for Obama.

Chances are someone who brought up their 1968 yearbook has been in politics for way too long at any level...... annnnnnnd a cursory look shows that Norment has been in politics at one level or another for 26 years.  We deposed Qaddafi because "20 years is too long to be in charge."  Do you think he is down to lose his job or do you think he wants to protect it at all costs given he has probably done fuckall with his life outside of being in office.

Edited by Jhawk

1 minute ago, Jhawk said:

Stop.  That's not what was said at all.  No one likes it.  But the vast majority of the population recognizes that that's just part of the fucking world.  No one should harass women and no one should use "fag" as a derogatory remark.

The point of the post is that not one person in this country expects perfection out of politicians.  Politicians have used "less than perfect" as a weapon against each other and now they are finding out that they can't live up to the standards that THEY put in place.  If you only picked out harassment and the word "fag" out of my post then you are part of the 0.0001% I mentioned.  If you're living perfection then why don't you post your name and city of birth and we'll dig for the dirt on you.

But you would agree that at some point, a line can be crossed, correct?  At some point, a politician's behavior or conduct can be so abhorrent that all agree he should not be the elected face of a constituency, right?  The question is, where is that line?  Is the line moving too close to benign, harmless behavior? Perhaps it is.  I can see the arguments there.  But you also should agree that conduct can be perceived totally differently depending on the person viewing it. Do I think that every kid who donned blackface in the 70s at UNC is some KKK loving, segregationist? No. Do I think there's a fair chance some, if not many, of them are perfectly normal men who harbor no ill will towards minorities, and in fact may have minorities in their families at this point? Sure.  But I'm white. I know white people like that. 

I guess I just dont see it as having moved too close to that line yet.  

Just now, Foosters said:

But you would agree that at some point, a line can be crossed, correct?  At some point, a politician's behavior or conduct can be so abhorrent that all agree he should not be the elected face of a constituency, right?  The question is, where is that line?  Is the line moving too close to benign, harmless behavior? Perhaps it is.  I can see the arguments there.  But you also should agree that conduct can be perceived totally differently depending on the person viewing it. Do I think that every kid who donned blackface in the 70s at UNC is some KKK loving, segregationist? No. Do I think there's a fair chance some, if not many, of them are perfectly normal men who harbor no ill will towards minorities, and in fact may have minorities in their families at this point? Sure.  But I'm white. I know white people like that. 

I guess I just dont see it as having moved too close to that line yet.  

Absolutely a line can be crossed.  I would also say that the line moves with the changing of time.  The culture of our country is constantly changing and that is happening independent of politicians, and in some cases because of politicians.  I 100% agree with you there.

My post was to point out that it is only the politicians that use this stuff as a weapon in every day life.  I bet 90% of the posters on this board have dropped a C or N-bomb.  I bet a ton of them have said something to the effect of "I gave it to that bitch hard and fast."  That doesn't mean they can't be functioning adults and even damn good people.  The difference is that if you even hint at something that could be taken as anti-Semite (like when someone says "I don't get why we help Israel") then you are now politically toxic.  Every senator that has appropriated 10 cents to Israel is on your ass.  Not one citizen is going to vote for you, or not, because of that comment.  

My rant was about weaponizing these issues.  The funny thing about the politicians is that they started this and they did it to keep us divided so we wouldn't vote them out like we should.  They thought this would take hold in the population and people would stop doing business with me because I'm an atheist, but the truth is the population doesn't give a rats ass about my religion if I make a good product.  Now the politicians are finding out that only they are subject to their own weapons on a daily basis and they are fucking so afraid of it that they are admitting shit from the fucking 60's.  Fuck man... I have 10 mistakes I made from Sunday night when I was fucked up that no one gives a shit about now because I said "I was hammered."  On the other side you have Lizzie trying to figure something out from the 80's and save face so she can be president.  The only reason I care about that shit is because she said that I have to care.  They are all rats and now they are scurrying from the sinking ships they built out of rotten wood.

I find it very entertaining and hope it continues until all of them are out of office or they all say "ok... this is ridiculous, we'll get back to work instead of attacking each other every day."

• Like 2

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/blackface-is-a-tool-of-white-oppression-there-are-many-moer-towering-over-us/2019/02/07/4ea303b6-2b11-11e9-984d-9b8fba003e81_story.html

White people designed blackface to keep black people down, to intimidate, mock and stereotype. It began during the 19th century and wasn’t about white people honoring the talent of black people by dressing up to look like them. It was about mocking them and depicting them as lazy, stupid and less than fully human. It was a tool of oppression. As a college kid in Virginia during the 1980s, I knew that, and so did my classmates. But a whole lot of white people seem to not know that history, or understand why blackface is so offensive, whether it’s practiced by a college student or a new doctor. The turmoil in Virginia — where I have lived most of my adult life, including nine years in Richmond — may do some good if it reminds white people that a river of oppression runs through American history, deep and wide, down to today.

But the reporters rushing to the state capital to cover this important story about a poorly understood tool of white oppression are literally rushing past much larger and more powerful symbols of that oppression — symbols born of a similar desire to keep black people down. There is no doubt that Virginia’s leaders need to be held accountable for their personal history, but every Virginia leader is responsible for the racist symbols that still loom over our lives.

The Confederate statues of Richmond’s Monument Avenue weren’t erected to honor the service of brave warriors. Those soldiers had been dead for decades before the statues went up. No, the statues were put up by white people, beginning in the 1890s, to remind black people that, despite all that nonsense of Presidents Abraham Lincoln and Ulysses S. Grant, as well as the so-called Reconstruction, we are back, and you are back down. The towering likenesses of Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis, and Stonewall Jacksonweren’t put up to celebrate history or heritage; they were put up as a message: The 13th, 14th and 15th amendments to the Constitution aren’t going to help you black folks because the South has risen from that humiliation. Jim Crow — a name rooted in blackface mockery — is king.

If you doubt that well-documented history — if you are tempted to buy the “heritage, not hate” rhetoric — ask yourself this question: “Where are the statues of James Longstreet?” Remember: Longstreet was Lee’s most trusted general, his second-in-command, his “Old War Horse.” Longstreet was a brave and talented warrior for the Confederacy from beginning to end. But there aren’t any Longstreet statues in Richmond — and there weren’t any at all until 1998, at Gettysburg. That’s because his service to the United States continued after the Civil War and he did something inconsistent with the purpose of the statues, and of blackface: He treated African Americans as citizens of the United States. Longstreet agreed to serve his reunified country, joined Lincoln’s Republican Party and helped Grant protect the rights of newly freed black Americans.

Longstreet committed two unforgivable sins in the eyes of white supremacists: He criticized Lee’s war leadership, and he led an African American militia to put down an 1874 white rebellion in Louisiana. That’s why this central figure in Civil War history is not depicted among the other Confederate statues in Richmond. The statues were only about a certain kind of heritage, just as blackface was about a certain kind of storytelling. It was about hate, not history or art.

Blackface, and our elected leaders’ involvement with it, is an important subject, and our country must confront that part of our racist past. Those who did it, or lied about it, shouldn’t hold office. Past actions matter. But our present is filled with gigantic bronze embodiments of that same racism. They loom over Virginians every day. If Virginia’s leaders want to atone for a troubling legacy, changing state law so Richmond’s statues no longer taunt the progress of our country would be a good place to start. Expressing bipartisan horror at blackface photos is essential, but removing the statues would show all of America that Virginia really has changed.

—James Comey

• Like 1

Confederate statues were erected as participation trophies for southerners. 

“Best Attitide during an Open Rebellion”

”Leadership Skills during month long Sojourn to the Carolinas”

”orienteering/sewing”

folks with a little to much southern pride?  Their ancestors are soccer moms and they’re the no talent snowflake assclowns they like to make fun of 

Comey is totally planning to run for political office of some kind isn’t he?

Now, the real question - does he stick with his lifelong identity and run as a Republican? Even though the party is infested with trumpism and they all hate him, even though it was his overstepping that was instrumental in helping Trump get elected?

Or does he he go all opportunist and move over and run as a Democrat? Who now “love” him for turning on Trump but when push comes to shove in a primary against a real Democrat, voters will be reminded of the actual horseshit he pulled two weeks prior to Election Day in 2016.

I’d never vote for him and wouldn’t get a chance as I don’t live in Virginia (Thank fucking god) but I’d sure like to watch that shitshow from the cheap seats.

13 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Now, the real question - does he stick with his lifelong identity and run as a Republican? Even though the party is infested with trumpism and they all hate him, even though it was his overstepping that was instrumental in helping Trump get elected?

Or does he he go all opportunist and move over and run as a Democrat? Who now “love” him for turning on Trump but when push comes to shove in a primary against a real Democrat, voters will be reminded of the actual horseshit he pulled two weeks prior to Election Day in 2016.

I’d never vote for him and wouldn’t get a chance as I don’t live in Virginia (Thank fucking god) but I’d sure like to watch that shitshow from the cheap seats.

Comey would probably pull less support than Howard Schultz. Fuck him. 

3 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Austin civic leaders, 1945.  No kidding.

14086309_10209343962809466_7965806149371

When I hear older Austinites complain about how the city has changed and gotten too big with too many non-natives, I think about shit like this and punch them.

"Oh you liked small cities that were warm, non-crowded, white, and affordable; where everybody knew everybody and trusted one another?  How novel.  Do you know what you sound like?  

Looks like Fairfax (the Lt. Gov) will be first to go.  Second woman accuses him of a premeditated and aggressive rape:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/second-woman-accuses-va-lt-gov-justin-fairfax-of-sexual-assault/2019/02/08/19e6bb6c-2bdf-11e9-b011-d8500644dc98_story.html?utm_term=.c14ad012e644

Edited by Mojo Hand

19 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

The first woman has said she won't be pressing charges, but would assist in the investigation any way she could (pay me or I'll come after him is what I'm hearing, call me cynical).

Not sure what to think at this point about this guy. Are the charges credible ?  He could end up being the only one of the 3 to go. I'm getting the feeling that the black face issue isn't going to force the Governor or AG to resign.  That's just the mumblings I'm hearing form a source on the hill about what he's hearing.  Its a pretty fluid situation. The democrats will maintain control of the governors mansion regardless of who steps down though.

51 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The first woman has said she won't be pressing charges, but would assist in the investigation any way she could (pay me or I'll come after him is what I'm hearing, call me cynical).

Not sure what to think at this point about this guy. Are the charges credible ?  He could end up being the only one of the 3 to go. I'm getting the feeling that the black face issue isn't going to force the Governor or AG to resign.  That's just the mumblings I'm hearing form a source on the hill about what he's hearing.  Its a pretty fluid situation. The democrats will maintain control of the governors mansion regardless of who steps down though.

If you are a democrat that even thought that Christine Blassey-Ford was credible at all then you absolutely have to believe that this woman is credible.  Regardless of whether she is or not.  You cannot "believe all women" and leave these two women behind.  That's how it works.  Put him through a rigorous investigation by the FBI and local authorities, and then sit him in front of a panel of his peers to face his alleged victims.  Broadcast it so the public can decide exactly who wins and who loses in their eyes.  Then let the guy do whatever the fuck he wants because that's how our political system works.

Edited by Jhawk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I think Comey would be the most polarizing politician of our time, which is truly extraordinary to say.  Everyone hates him, but if he somehow got into office or into another appointed position he would absolutely use his position to destroy people.  His comments before, during, and after the investigations he has participated in with the election, and his comments regarding his job when dems were calling for his head and when repubs were calling for his head, and when he was finally shoved out should eliminate him from anything.  While he is right that the biggest enemies of our state exist in our own government, he is one of the heads of that snake and letting him back in would be a great misstep by the entire country.

3 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

If you are a democrat that even thought that Christine Blassey-Ford was credible at all then you absolutely have to believe that this woman is credible.  Regardless of whether she is or not.  You cannot "believe all women" and leave these two women behind.  That's how it works.  Put him through a rigorous investigation by the FBI and local authorities, and then sit him in front of a panel of his peers to face his alleged victims.  Broadcast it so the public can decide exactly who wins and who loses in their eyes.  Then let the guy do whatever the fuck he wants because that's how our political system works.

well, first, he needs to resign. just as kavanaugh should have withdrawn.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

well, first, he needs to resign. just as kavanaugh should have withdrawn.

Fairfax isn’t trying to be a Supreme Court Justice.  He should resign if the allegations are true but my attention to the allegations against a lieutenant governor of Virginia should pale in comparison to Kavanaugh.  

Regardless of party.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Fairfax isn’t trying to be a Supreme Court Justice.  He should resign if the allegations are true but my attention to the allegations against a lieutenant governor of Virginia should pale in comparison to Kavanaugh.  

Regardless of party.

nah, dude. he needs to resign. two credible accusers? bye. i'd argue that even one credible accuser is enough to resign. he's a public servant. he can be reelected. he has even less leeway than kavanaugh, imo, who was vying for a lifetime appointment. resign, refute, re-run for election. later, dude.

• Like 1

Just now, hayden_horn said:

nah, dude. he needs to resign. two credible accusers? bye. i'd argue that even one credible accuser is enough to resign. he's a public servant. he can be reelected. he has even less leeway than kavanaugh, imo, who was vying for a lifetime appointment. resign, refute, re-run for election. later, dude.

Of course he should resign. I was pointing out the national spotlight and public scrutiny shouldn’t be expected to reach the level of Kavanaugh. 

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Of course he should resign. I was pointing out the national spotlight and public scrutiny shouldn’t be expected to reach the level of Kavanaugh. 

eh, of course it would, given the governor is either pictured wearing blackface or kkk robes in his yearbook. and almost moonwalked on television, which would have been epic. 

the thing is, this rose to prominence for a couple different reasons: major racial illiteracy, and #metoo. that it engulfed the guv, the lt guv, and the AG with those two is nationally news-worthy.

29 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Comey writes a powerful op-Ed.  

Immediately gets attacked for being Comey and suspected of ulterior political motives. 

You were attacking his political motives when Hillary was in the crosshairs. Repubs we’re attacking his political motives when trump was in the crosshairs (under his watch).  Literally 80% or more of the population thinks the guy only serves what is politically expedient for him. I doubt that has changed over the last two years. 

However, I presume bama chick is suggesting he is going to run for office in VA, Virginia elected two dudes who are out there racists and a two time rapist. Of course Virginia is going to be a state that could very well elect comey. 

Two credible victims who provide details including dates, locations and evidence of confiding in others and identifying the aggressor to friends and family after the fact. 

How does he still have a job?  Or why haven’t these “liars” been sued?  

There is no middle ground for the accused rapist.  Quit or respond asshole. 

23 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Two credible victims who provide details including dates, locations and evidence of confiding in others and identifying the aggressor to friends and family after the fact. 

How does he still have a job?  Or why haven’t these “liars” been sued?  

There is no middle ground for the accused rapist.  Quit or respond asshole. 

He has responded.

2 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

“I deny this latest unsubstantiated allegation,” Fairfax responded in a statement. “It is demonstrably false. I have never forced myself on anyone ever.”

Demonstrably false? Demonstrably?

He have a desk calendar he’s kept? Pounding ‘skis with Squi that night, I presume?

Maybe he has no dick.

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

A shitton of Democrats have just called for his resignation in the last hour. And the leader of the Virginia legislature is threatening impeachment on Monday if he doesn’t resign before Monday.

c67399ff59d5dcb12e3e8f261055abec.jpg
ac1fe1ac6f6d59f358c70ef556dfc114.jpg
736fa2c3ffcab8f305eebaddda13f556.jpg
f4361f54c8cdced7c8414ffcd3d6ba3d.jpg
9b2d3ba4ef1a4235f4562f3ab3300e54.jpg
498a2f5358208b8724304f5f82e42418.jpg
6457f29d97b09a1d6b5fb1245e2a983c.jpg
ec6ca2933d9b851f3abd77d7c0d7513e.jpg
5522d5deb2b497f506284b17cb71093a.jpg
b559349d5c24b4236697f886b86a611a.jpg
efe1f7104946412671b7c63ae268f74c.jpg
af0b0c51f311571d7a7d5b8b4e7ad6d7.jpg

I think they were wrong with Kavanaugh and they are wrong now with Fairfax.

The man should have an arena to defend himself. Due process is what I called for during Kavanaugh confirmation and that is what Fairfax deserves now. Being that the statutes of limitation are not over with both of these accusations against Fairfax there needs to be a charge. Otherwise it's just rumor and speculation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Llano Estacado said:

“I deny this latest unsubstantiated allegation,” Fairfax responded in a statement. “It is demonstrably false. I have never forced myself on anyone ever.”

Demonstrably false? Demonstrably?

He have a desk calendar he’s kept? Pounding ‘skis with Squi that night, I presume?

He strenuously objects.

I don’t know why it’s so hard. We went through the same thing with Kavanaugh.  There is no due process in a confirmation or a “call for resignation”.  Kavanaugh should have withdrawn and Fairfax should resign, in my opinion.  But neither are required to, obviously more at Fairfax’s peril than Kavanaugh’s.  Sure, dear leader could (and should) have withdrawn Kavanaugh and the VA legislature could start the VA equivalent of an impeachment process on fairfax.   The first didn’t happen and the second probably should at least be looked into.   I don’t know what the legal standard would be in the latter case to convict   

But outside the criminal context neither of the jokers are owed any kind of due process.  At all.  There is enough evidence in both cases that at the very least they used poor judgment unworthy of the positions they are now in. The scrutiny is earned by the positions they’ve chosen to seek.  The right thing to do is exit quietly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

The Democrats have made some incredible gains in Virginia over the last decade and in a couple bad weeks, it's all falling apart.  the only way for them to stop the bleeding is for all these fucksticks to resign ASAP.

They'll lose even more if these 3 remain in office. Sexual assault and racism are hot button issues to draw out the faithful and vengeful.   At this point  Herring is the biggest, hypocritical douche (which he has been since before all of this). He called for Northam to resign, and then gets outed for almost the identical act, but he didn't resign.  

Fairfaxes accusers seem very credible, but we do have an innocent till proven guilty thingy. I think public servant should be held to a higher standard, and he should probably step down.  Impeachment charges will be filed against him Monday by members of his party, allegedly.

6 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

2020 Elections are going to be a shit show of accusations. 

Yeah, it's gonna be wild.  The son in laws job depends on the republicans holding a majority in the house. He's been getting his resume together since the house went into session. Now h's he's not sure what's gonna happen.

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

They all gotta go. Gov. Northam appoints a new LT Gov. to take over for the resigning Fairfax.  He and Herring then resign (Herring said Northam must go when his black face pic came to light, now his has as well, can't moonwalk that one back). 

The newly appointed LT gov.takes over as gov. and appoints a new AG. The crisis is averted for the Va. democrat party.  That would give the republicans no where to go.  

Will it happen ?

• Like 1

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

They all gotta go. Gov. Northam appoints a new LT Gov. to take over for the resigning Fairfax.  He and Herring then resign (Herring said Northam must go when his black face pic came to light, now his has as well, can't moonwalk that one back). 

The newly appointed LT gov.takes over as gov. and appoints a new AG. The crisis is averted for the Va. democrat party.  That would give the republicans no where to go.  

Will it happen ?

That would be the prudent and wise move, so probably not.  In fact, it appears that Northam has dug in and will be more difficult to extricate from office than my 7 year old from his Ipad.