If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

wonder if any of those dudes come back.

guessing they burned bridges - and that locally they don't want to touch any of them with a 10' pole

...but if you bring back Mike Siriois, he's immediately the second best voice on KTCK between 10 and 3 and maybe the best if you don' like Donnie

46 minutes ago, mdleast said:

Spite Stations don't pay

It was not very good buddy.

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

guessing they burned bridges - and that locally they don't want to touch any of them with a 10' pole

...but if you bring back Mike Siriois, he's immediately the second best voice on KTCK between 10 and 3 and maybe the best if you don' like Donnie

Yeah, none of those dudes can come back. Sirois went total scorched earth. Ben & Skin were long gone. Balis left The Ticket because they didn't pay him enough. Not sure this (the Freak boondoggle) was in the works, it might've been but who knows? I guess he could conceivably make his way back but in what capacity? Julie is terrible. Grubes will go find a better gig, I'm sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

There's no way either comes back or is invited back. Sirois burned his bridge on the Twitch stream with Gordon. Danny just lampooned Cat in a song. Their best bet is to try their hand at podcasting or go work for Cash. 

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Yeah, none of those dudes can come back. Sirois went total scorched earth. Ben & Skin were long gone. Balis left The Ticket because they didn't pay him enough. Not sure this (the Freak boondoggle) was in the works, it might've been but who knows? I guess he could conceivably make his way back but in what capacity? Julie is terrible. Grubes will go find a better gig, I'm sure.

Grubes doesn't need to work.  

• Haha 1

They could save midday ticket by bringing sirois back with Donnie noon to 3. Let the creepy beer guy suckass with the monotones. There’s the show name, mcclearin and the monotones 

4 minutes ago, bluto said:

They could save midday ticket by bringing sirois back with Donnie noon to 3. Let the creepy beer guy suckass with the monotones. There’s the show name, mcclearin and the monotones 

Cumulus doesn't care about the ticket other than getting the best ratings they can for the least money possible. It's over. 

Really do wonder what Sirois and Danny will do. For Danny having that kid so late in life he's gonna be finding ways to scrape by for the rest of his days. 

The Ticket doesn't have money to bring on more people. Plus Danny and Sirois already complained that it wasn't enough money to stay on. If the Freak can last a year and half with no ratings, I'm sure Cat is fine with middays for a good while. Danny also burned a bridge I bet with his little song about Cat. Not the smartest thing to do when you know the end appears near. 

23 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Cumulus doesn't care about the ticket other than getting the best ratings they can for the least money possible. It's over. 

Really do wonder what Sirois and Danny will do. For Danny having that kid so late in life he's gonna be finding ways to scrape by for the rest of his days. 

Is Danny’s lounge in Fort Worth still going?

42 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The Ticket doesn't have money to bring on more people. Plus Danny and Sirois already complained that it wasn't enough money to stay on. If the Freak can last a year and half with no ratings, I'm sure Cat is fine with middays for a good while. Danny also burned a bridge I bet with his little song about Cat. Not the smartest thing to do when you know the end appears near. 

What was the Danny song about Cat? Link?

It believe it was on the HZ 420 pot fest.

So I guess let's just say that those were the terms it was being thought of in by just about everybody?

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/971-the-freak-to-return-to-rock-radio-format-fires-mike-rhyner-19223461

Mike Rhyner, one of the hosts of 97.1’s The Speakeasy weekday show, said he and the rest of his on-air crew, including Julie Dobbs and Jeff Cavanaugh, were fired today. According to Rhyner, he and the rest of The Freak crew were told that the station will revert back to its rock music programming as 97.1 The Eagle beginning on Monday, April 29.

“I could be standing at the New Mexico border and still see this coming,” Rhyner told the Observer over the phone on Friday. “It’s a feeling that I and plenty of others at the station had been getting for some time now. iHeartRadio is a music company that really doesn't do that much talk radio, and the talk radio they do is not local or locally originated, and they got caught into something [97.1 The Freak] they didn't know anything about, and they were kind of overwhelmed by it, and they decided that ‘this is not our bag.’”

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

How’d Sirois go scorched earth?

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

What were the contents of the Cat song?

6 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I don't recall everything but he went on a Twitch stream with Gordo and was probably 2/3 of his way through a bottle of bourbon and just trashed The Ticket/Cumulus management over myriad topics, including paying like shit, etc. They ain't ever letting him back after that.

Just now, C-Man said:

I don't recall everything but he went on a Twitch stream with Gordo and was probably 2/3 of his way through a bottle of bourbon and just trashed The Ticket/Cumulus management over myriad topics, including paying like shit, etc. They ain't ever letting him back after that.

Unless they have him a bump and his own show, he’d never come back. I don’t think comments are generally something that can’t be overcome - if the parties want to reconcile. And they should because Sirois is great, and he should want to work at the best place. 

Problem is Cumulus will never devote resources to middays. Ever. It’s more about that than any animosity. What’s changed?  Oh you lost your midday ratings dominance?  Yeah we DGAF. 

16 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Unless they have him a bump and his own show, he’d never come back. I don’t think comments are generally something that can’t be overcome - if the parties want to reconcile. And they should because Sirois is great, and he should want to work at the best place. 

Problem is Cumulus will never devote resources to middays. Ever. It’s more about that than any animosity. What’s changed?  Oh you lost your midday ratings dominance?  Yeah we DGAF. 

Somebody else can chime in but it was bad enough that there is probably no way in walking that back, at least not while Cat and Dan Bennett are still around. (I think Dan is still there in some capacity.)

1 hour ago, Rex Kramer said:

That's what it boils down to.  It's a great station owned by a garbage corporation and managed by morons. They are going to milk it for all it's worth a few more years then that's that.  Decent shows on Middays are almost certainly gone for good.  Once the Musers decide to retire and Bob and Corby get through the contract they just signed, the station itself is probably done.  

The station absolutely should swallow their pride, hire Sirois back at a fair salary and pair him with Donny, but that aint the Cumulus way.

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I don't think Danny and Sirois have the work ethic required to do a podcast. And again, who is the audience that will pay for it?

The work ethic to record fewer hours per week without set schedules? 

• Hook 'Em 1

For consistent pay and the chance to keep chasing the radio dream, sure. For inconsistent pay, constant self-promotion, big start up costs, and an unknown popularity, not so much. I guess they can look at how often their podcasts with the Freak were getting downloaded but this wasn't the #1 show in the timeslot designed to strike out on their own combined with one of the guys having a lot of seed money. 

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

For consistent pay and the chance to keep chasing the radio dream, sure. For inconsistent pay, constant self-promotion, big start up costs, and an unknown popularity, not so much. I guess they can look at how often their podcasts with the Freak were getting downloaded but this wasn't the #1 show in the timeslot designed to strike out on their own combined with one of the guys having a lot of seed money. 

Don’t they both have other gigs for a steady paycheck? I’m pretty sure that’s why they were able to stick around the ticket as long as they did. 

Regarding self promotion…you are probably correct there. 

Start up cost… Probably nil and could be why Dan and Jake have suddenly been on air with them and why Danny was hanging around the DZ remotes. 

Unknown popularity…no idea there and I can’t imagine it’s great. I haven’t listened to them since they have been gone. 

Not trying to argue with you here. Just spitballing. 

41 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Don’t they both have other gigs for a steady paycheck? I’m pretty sure that’s why they were able to stick around the ticket as long as they did. 

Regarding self promotion…you are probably correct there. 

Start up cost… Probably nil and could be why Dan and Jake have suddenly been on air with them and why Danny was hanging around the DZ remotes. 

Unknown popularity…no idea there and I can’t imagine it’s great. I haven’t listened to them since they have been gone. 

Not trying to argue with you here. Just spitballing. 

Agreed. Podcasting seems to be ideal for Sirois and Balis. I’d definitely listen. They’d work less than they had been for sure. 

9 hours ago, mdmost said:

I know you aren’t Jeff Catlin, but if Cat was posting here, I think this is a what he would post. 

• Haha 3

The real head scratcher for me was iHeart let everyone except Ben & Skin go. They were the worst show there. B&S have never been good or drawn ratings. Must be Mavs related.

Also, WTF Blake? Ted Emrich and Heart Attack Man lost because he didn't see if it was set to record. 

Edited by RPM
  • Haha 1

Agreed. Podcasting seems to be ideal for Sirois and Balis. I’d definitely listen. They’d work less than they had been for sure. 

Unlike Dan, neither of these goobers have secured any book on their own. They left high visibility gigs and very little of their audience followed them for free. Ain’t many Glenn’s out there to actually pay.

9 hours ago, Da Fino said:

I know you aren’t Jeff Catlin, but if Cat was posting here, I think this is a what he would post. 

Ha. A dying industry looking to cut costs isn't about to incur more just to throw a lifeline to two guys who left on their own accord. Letting TC come back was one thing given his salary was low. Honestly, I don't see Danny or Sirois even wanting to return. Maybe middays gets some audience back. Maybe not. Middays was never that big a deal other than what Norm could bring in in ad revenue. 

• Like 1

Sirois will land on his feet. He was last year's DFW radio personality of the year. It might not be on radio, but he'll be alright. Danny may just stick with music and the bar with some guest side gigs.

19 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Problem is Cumulus will never devote resources to middays. Ever.

yeah, you have to look so far back to the last time they devoted resources to mid day. <12 months, the prior shows they had on the air, hell they still have 1 of the 4 mid day hosts employed and on a mid day show, etc.

there's dumb...then there is Rex Kramer, who somehow comes back dumber each and every time.

13 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Say it with me….The Dumb Zone podcast network

"No Puppet Productions"

Edited by NoName

13 hours ago, mdmost said:

I don't think Danny and Sirois have the work ethic required to do a podcast. And again, who is the audience that will pay for it?

would be interested to see how the downbeat podcast did in the podcast rankings.  i am an old and dont know where to look though.

2 hours ago, NoName said:

yeah, you have to look so far back to the last time they devoted resources to mid day. <12 months, the prior shows they had on the air, hell they still have 1 of the 4 mid day hosts employed and on a mid day show, etc.

there's dumb...then there is Rex Kramer, who somehow comes back dumber each and every time.

You’re trying way too hard. 

Posted (edited)

So maybe the plan all along was to go to the Freak but iHeart didn't want to fight to get the HangZone over there. I don't follow him but this popped up while I was browsing Twitter. Read the whole thread. He references the Freak needed one more big show to get the ad sales they needed. 

Edited by mdmost

On 4/26/2024 at 2:30 PM, Longhornstampede said:

What was the Danny song about Cat? Link?

here's the Danny song.

On 4/26/2024 at 3:30 PM, Rex Kramer said:

this is Danny (on Rhyner's podcast) and Sirois (on Gordo's Twitch stream) bitching about the Ticket and Junior.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1