If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

3 minutes ago, RPM said:

I give zero shits about the crowd at a radio station remote. I do think it's hilarious how important it is to some of you.

I don't think any of us give one shit about the crowd size at Summer Bash. My issue is Mr. Spite FM saying anything at all when he would kill for any of those people to show up or tune into his failed ego experiment. He should keep his mouth shut about anything Ticket especially since the station is doing a whole lot better since he left. Some people might be humbled by that reality. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Norm and the Goose was an all-timer. With Norm retiring, it's time to bring back Andy Panda. 

ok nevermind.  I just caught up on the stream.  I thought you were talking about goose on with norm yesterday, which was most certainly not an all-timer. 

15 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

As people started reminiscing about Norm, I knew he came from KLIF. But both my wife and I realized at the exact same moment that he was the guy on HSE that we HATED back in the day. We could not stand him on HSE. I had forgotten all about him and never realized the Ticket Norm was that guy. 

Have you been living under a fucking rock?  This is why I’ve hated Norm his whole career and been very vocal about it on these threads over the years. He’s a blowhard, a nerd and tries WAY too hard. It’s amazing he has any following at all. 

12 hours ago, RPM said:

Out of curiosity, what kind of ratings do you get?

I’ve got that assclown on ignore but there’s no way HL ever pulled a 3.5-4 with any lineup. Their afternoon dominance and sheer numbers have been very consistent. Rhynes probably is chapped he can’t make a dent in their ratings. But he built an absolute machine at the little Ticket, and he bitched out like the Aggie weirdo he is, and he took very little talent with him. This coup they orchestrated should be an embarrassment to all of them. 

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Have you been living under a fucking rock?  This is why I’ve hated Norm his whole career and been very vocal about it on these threads over the years. He’s a blowhard, a nerd and tries WAY too hard. It’s amazing he has any following at all. 

But have you heard how much he bills?

Someone want to elaborate on the beef between the Musers, etc. and Norm when Norm first started?  I've seen it referenced and heard Bob mention something in passing about how odd it was to celebrate Norm's 25 years in radio when he had only been at The Ticket a few months and they were on team Musers at the time.  That was all probably before my time in Dallas or certainly before I was listening to the Ticket regularly.

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Someone want to elaborate on the beef between the Musers, etc. and Norm when Norm first started?  I've seen it referenced and heard Bob mention something in passing about how odd it was to celebrate Norm's 25 years in radio when he had only been at The Ticket a few months and they were on team Musers at the time.  That was all probably before my time in Dallas or certainly before I was listening to the Ticket regularly.

Basically, when he was at KLIF, Norm thought the Ticket was unserious, and the Ticket guys thought Norm was goofy and too inside-baseball for wider audiences.  One of Gordo's earliest bits was Norm and his sidekick Andy Panda, and it made frequent references to a gambling addiction, which apparently Norm really took umbrage to.

You can hear one of the really early ones (from while Norm was still on KLIF) here - it's track #8 in the player: https://www.theunticket.com/5-years-of-failed-bits-ticket-cd/

(Side note: Pretty much every track of the CD audio linked above is greatness, and a direct glimpse into the first few years of the little Ticket.)

Edited by sasquatch69
  • Hook 'Em 4

23 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Norm was from the "sports is serious" school of broadcasting and didn't like how the Ticket was guy talk. Gordo and George did the fake Norm and Andy Panda for years and Gordo being abrasive would amp it up. They also did a fake Leon Simon that was Norm's co-host at the time. Basically Norm was their punchline well before he got to the Ticket. mdleast can expound upon it more as most of the best Fake Norm and Andy Panda bits were before I moved back in 1998. Then Norm got really angry when Gordo did the JFK Jr Rant where he and Davy made fun of JFK Jr's plane crashing off of Gay Head. Norm walked into Bruce Gilbert's office (PD at the time) and demanded Gordo and Davy be fired, which obviously didn't happen. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

I will tell you now, straight, behind your face: Norm’s a bitch. 

I like Uncle Norm and he still whips my ass.

George and Gordo absolutely skewered him on a regular basis. Fake Leon was a mushmouthed caricature that might not make the cut today. Those bits were brutal. Self-righteous Norm was offended. I don't doubt he complained to Dan B about the little ticket making merry at his expense long before the idea of moving him there germinated.

It had to have been a slap to the head when he was told he was moving. Remember that the source of this is Norm himself. He admits that he had less than zero desire to go to those unserious and rude pretenders.

Yet, here we are. The man adapted. The station embraced the dad jokes and oh so very sports nature of Norm. 

Beloved of Charles Haley. You could hear the tears he had. The man literally ran to bear hug him at the Super Bowl. 

Now, combine that with the amazing ironic notes of plowing through emergency brakes like a runaway train of oblivious sports points and horrible jokes.

I hope he didn't get the speech from the doc about doing what he wants to get done because the clock has started. I want to hear that goofy ass on my radio waves a while yet.

Norm is one of the few voices that my ticket hating offspring can identify.

He's a beating sometimes, but I think I am gonna miss him. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I actually worked at WFAA before it became KLIF. Norm did mornings, Kevin McCarthy middays and David Gould afternoon drive followed by The Sports Brothers. Our "office/studio" was a tech closet full of cables and racks. We were Traffic Command 57 with 7 vans and a small helicopter that radioed back drive times on DFW freeways.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

I like Uncle Norm and he still whips my ass.

George and Gordo absolutely skewered him on a regular basis. Fake Leon was a mushmouthed caricature that might not make the cut today. Those bits were brutal. Self-righteous Norm was offended. I don't doubt he complained to Dan B about the little ticket making merry at his expense long before the idea of moving him there germinated.

It had to have been a slap to the head when he was told he was moving. Remember that the source of this is Norm himself. He admits that he had less than zero desire to go to those unserious and rude pretenders.

Yet, here we are. The man adapted. The station embraced the dad jokes and oh so very sports nature of Norm. 

Beloved of Charles Haley. You could hear the tears he had. The man literally ran to bear hug him at the Super Bowl. 

Now, combine that with the amazing ironic notes of plowing through emergency brakes like a runaway train of oblivious sports points and horrible jokes.

I hope he didn't get the speech from the doc about doing what he wants to get done because the clock has started. I want to hear that goofy ass on my radio waves a while yet.

Norm is one of the few voices that my ticket hating offspring can identify.

He's a beating sometimes, but I think I am gonna miss him. 

That's where I am on this. I have to pick-and-choose the things that Norm does that I will listen to but whether you like it or not, the man is a DFW institution. This just means we're getting closer and closer to the day the Musers decide to hang it up. That will be a truly sad day.

10 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

The man adapted. The station embraced the dad jokes and oh so very sports nature of Norm. 

Respectfully, I totally disagree. The nerds of the station like Sean Bass embraced him.  Most continued skewering him as the self-righteous blowhard goofy weirdo that he is. And they’re doing it this very week. I won’t miss him. His unintentionally funny drops will live on. 

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

That's where I am on this. I have to pick-and-choose the things that Norm does that I will listen to but whether you like it or not, the man is a DFW institution. This just means we're getting closer and closer to the day the Musers decide to hang it up. That will be a truly sad day.

He’s an institution the way Brent Musberger was an institution. I don’t know how these guys kept finding jobs, particularly on TV. He’s an institution insofar as he kept at it for 48 years, amazingly, despite being a constant punchline. 

18 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

He’s an institution the way Brent Musberger was an institution. I don’t know how these guys kept finding jobs, particularly on TV. He’s an institution insofar as he kept at it for 48 years, amazingly, despite being a constant punchline. 

Musberger was really good at what he did for quite some time. He became a caricature of himself later in his career.

18 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Musberger was really good at what he did for quite some time. He became a caricature of himself later in his career.

I’m 44, about to be 45. Musberger was never good. When I was a kid and my sports consciousness was just forming, call it 37-38 years ago, I distinctly recall everyone hating Mushmouth. 

12 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I’m 44, about to be 45. Musberger was never good. When I was a kid and my sports consciousness was just forming, call it 37-38 years ago, I distinctly recall everyone hating Mushmouth. 

Musburger was fantastic in the 70's as the lead NBA guy on CBS and then did a great job hosting The NFL Today on CBS with Irv Cross, Phyllis George and Jimmy the Greek into the early 80's. Musburger doing PBP for Longhorn football games when he was well-past-his-prime was not very good, buddy.

Edited by C-Man