General San Francisco Thread

Gardner Barnes

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Swan Oyster Depot is the greatest place in the world.

Yes. Get there early, Gardner. There's limited seating and always a line. Or, you can order food to go and take an Uber to a scenic spot. If you want to eat there, you can order beer or wine to drink while you wait in line.

I’m in the city for a few days solo.  I’ve done the vast majority of higher end and hip/celebrity chef/eater/instagram places.  Looking for something new for “solo at the bar on an expense account” meal.  
Any ideas?  Would prefer not the leave the city limits.  

House of Prime Rib takes months to get a reservation, but they'll usually get you in at the bar as a walk up if it's just 1 or 2 people.

Emmy's Spaghetti Shack is a bit if a hike into the neighborhoods from downtown, but it's delicious, low key, and the people there are top notch. I go in solo about once a month and sit at the bar, it's the only way to get in without a long wai -, I think they take reservations now. There are a few cool bars within a few blocks too.

10 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Mitchell Brothers Theater

I meant to come back and offer a serious response.  

It's been several years since I've been to San Francisco, so take with a grain of salt.  I've always enjoyed going to Tadich Grill.  To me it's the Galatoire's of San Francisco.  Other places (perhaps an alternative to Swan) is Hog Island Oyster in the Ferry Building.

For best food/service experience my last visit to Gary Danko was superb.  

It's not fancy at all; however, Rocco's has good food, counter seating, and a TV with some sport always playing. I used to live across the street and would see Nate Thurmond (NBA HoF) there all the time. As an added bonus, it's across from City Beer Store. 

Emmy's Spaghetti Shack is a bit if a hike into the neighborhoods from downtown, but it's delicious, low key, and the people there are top notch. I go in solo about once a month and sit at the bar, it's the only way to get in without a long wai -, I think they take reservations now. There are a few cool bars within a few blocks too.

Wtf

This place was AWESOME! I love this board for recs like this. It’s spaghetti and a great bar and super cool people.

Plus multiple tapa rep.

Wtf

This place was AWESOME! I love this board for recs like this. It’s spaghetti and a great bar and super cool people.

Plus multiple tapa rep.
If your still in the neighborhood walk down the hill to the corner and check out the Royal Cookoo. Cool dark bar with a Hammond B3 built into the bar and amazing musicians cone play it.

• 5 months later...
On 9/7/2018 at 8:08 PM, AustinMT said:

Not a huge fan of SF, but...

Scoma’s.  It’s like walking back in time.  Food is good (not great) but the whole atmosphere is cool.  You’ll think you see Sinatra there.

Not as great a place to sit at the bar as some, and frankly it's not what it used to be. 

Would highly recommend Taddich over Scoma's, for the same type of vibe (but better food and scenery). Bix would also fit that vibe, as would Zuni Cafe.

You didn't mention what type of food, or fancy/casual, or price. For something different and beer-focused, Radhaus, Mikkeller. Fancy? Gary Danko, Perbacco. In the moment? Liholiho Yacht Club (tough to get, but..). Just a few of the top of my head. 

Tadich is legit, famous old school SF joint. If you can't get a res there try going to Sotto Mare for cioppino instead - small place on Green and between Columbus and Grant.

Swan Oyster is damn tough to get into as well, and a good enough alternative for oysters is Hog Island in the Ferry Bldg - you can sit outside, eat oysters, drink beer and look out at the water and Bay Bridge.

Slanted Door has lost a step and easier to get a res - I prefer the sister spot Out the Door in Pac Heights. 

Lot of great fine dining options, hard to go wrong. You can be just as happy throwing down some cheaper food from Tacolicious, Super Duper Burger, or Roam while hitting up Chestnut/Union St in the Marina - where I spent most of my time before relocating. 

• 6 months later...
28 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Thinking about taking the wife for her birthday and one thing I know I we want is cioppino.  What are the best places for it?

I don’t know about best, but Tadich is the classic spot for cioppino.  Also the oldest restaurant in the city and just a nice place for a martini. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 2:10 PM, 6th Street said:

Tadich is legit, famous old school SF joint. If you can't get a res there try going to Sotto Mare for cioppino instead - small place on Green and between Columbus and Grant.

Swan Oyster is damn tough to get into as well, and a good enough alternative for oysters is Hog Island in the Ferry Bldg - you can sit outside, eat oysters, drink beer and look out at the water and Bay Bridge.

Slanted Door has lost a step and easier to get a res - I prefer the sister spot Out the Door in Pac Heights. 

Lot of great fine dining options, hard to go wrong. You can be just as happy throwing down some cheaper food from Tacolicious, Super Duper Burger, or Roam while hitting up Chestnut/Union St in the Marina - where I spent most of my time before relocating. 

Sotto Mare cioppino... that's my damn jam almost every trip out there

Thanks, what about some good bars?  Neither of us have ever been and we would probably want to hit up a tiki bar at least once while we're there.

Buena Vista is kind of cool. Right by Ghiradelli Square. Supposedly the home of the Irish Coffee.

13 hours ago, kevwun said:

Thanks, what about some good bars?  Neither of us have ever been and we would probably want to hit up a tiki bar at least once while we're there.

North Beach: Comstock Saloon, Vesuvio, Columbus Cafe, Pete's Tavern, Northstar

Marina: Balboa Cafe,  Mauna Loa, Brixton, Tipsy Pig, Campus

Downtown/FiDi: Novela, Rickhouse, Hopwater, Royal Exchange

On 4/5/2019 at 9:42 AM, kevwun said:

Neither of us have ever been and we would probably want to hit up a tiki bar at least once while we're there.

Solid Tiki Bar scene in the city: 

Smuggler's Cove near Hayes Valley (you'll wife will like the shopping there) is a great option (and the SF tiki standard) in terms of drink types and selections of rum. It gets pretty busy on the weekends, but if you get in between 5pm - 8pm you should be fine. 

Trad'r Sam is a local spot in the Richmond. Drinks are much cheaper than your trendy tiki fare. It's a great watering hole after you've hiked the Presidio or Lands End. Bartenders can be rude and I like that. 

Pagan Idol is a newer spot in the Financial District, mostly drawing the afterwork tech crowds but it has pretty fun decor. Drinks are also solid. 

But my favorite tiki bar in the Bay is in Oakland; Kona Club. 

If you want a very cool experience, not necessarily tiki but island themed with great food and drinks: LihoLiho Yacht Club. You're wife will love it.

Tonga Room, it's in the Fairmont Hotel. It's good, but super crowded and expensive; it's essentially hotel bar prices. They often have a band playing in the pool on weekends. 

Honestly, if you go there, I'd grab one drink, take in the scene and walk across the street to Top of the Mark. It's at the top of the Intercontinental hotel; great 360degree views of the city. 

Edited by ramirezut

12 minutes ago, kevwun said:

What area should I be looking at to stay in?  Probably going the airbnb/vrbo route and would like to be able to walk to as many places as possible.

We rented a flat in North Beach off Bay and Stockton.  The location was great--walking distance to good restaurants, the Wharf and our ferry to Alcatraz, a grocery store, Ghiraedelli Square, Washington Square, etc.  It was also close to a Hertz, where we rented a car for a day trip to Muir Woods and Sonoma.  But it's a huge city, and if you have kids in tow like we did, expect to grab some cheap uber rides to venture out of your neighborhood

12 minutes ago, kevwun said:

What area should I be looking at to stay in?  Probably going the airbnb/vrbo route and would like to be able to walk to as many places as possible.

San Francisco, like NYC, is a city of neighborhoods. Your best bet is to decide what area you like best and then make that your home base. You can walk around within your neighborhood, but I'd recommend Uber or BART/light rail for anything beyond that. Everything is compact, but watch out for the elevation changes.

I think the best thing about going airbnb/vrbo is that it likely keeps you away from Union Square, which has a ton of hotels and little else but bars full of fellow tourists.

Based on some of the recommended places above I'd suggest you set up shop in North Beach. 

I should have prefaced my post, if you stay in North Beach area, that neighborhood is a bit underserved by transit compared to some other areas, but no big deal. There's plenty to see and do and eat and drink in that area, and if you want to move to another part of town I mean it's like 8 bucks to get to the other side of the city on Uber. But you can take the streetcar around the water along the Embarcadero. If you want to wait a lot and be a tourist there are a couple of cable car stops at the Fisherman's Wharf area. 

14 hours ago, kevwun said:

Anthony Bourdain went to a really cool looking one in his San Francisco episode and that's how I knew they are thing there.  I can't remember which one it was though.

Trader Vic's in Emeryville (across the bay)

It's a spectacle, though. Personally, I think it's a little sterile for my tastes, but I'm curious what you thought was awful (other than the prices). Food was mediocre when I've had it. 

Kona Club is by far more my speed (and my hood), but I can't imagine recommending it to someone staying in SF unless they are a diehard drunk (I resemble this remark). 

• Like 1

Solid Tiki Bar scene in the city: 
Smuggler's Cove near Hayes Valley (you'll wife will like the shopping there) is a great option (and the SF tiki standard) in terms of drink types and selections of rum. It gets pretty busy on the weekends, but if you get in between 5pm - 8pm you should be fine. 
Trad'r Sam is a local spot in the Richmond. Drinks are much cheaper than your trendy tiki fare. It's a great watering hole after you've hiked the Presidio or Lands End. Bartenders can be rude and I like that. 
Pagan Idol is a newer spot in the Financial District, mostly drawing the afterwork tech crowds but it has pretty fun decor. Drinks are also solid. 
But my favorite tiki bar in the Bay is in Oakland; Kona Club. 
If you want a very cool experience, not necessarily tiki but island themed with great food and drinks: LihoLiho Yacht Club. You're wife will love it.

Also Zombie Village (new, in Tenderloin) and Bon Voyage (new-ish, in Mission).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, We’reTexas said:

Also Zombie Village (new, in Tenderloin) and Bon Voyage (new-ish, in Mission).

I hear Zombie V is super dope. Still haven't been. 

Many thanks, how useful is the light rail? 

Bart is convenient, if you want to hit up particular neighborhoods in the city center (Mission, Financial District, Union Square, Civic Center). MUNI is an excellent option as well if you want to deviate from the BART line to other neighborhoods (Castro, Noe Valley, Richmond, SoMa etc.). 

Went to the French Laundry, Tadich Grill, and Henry's Hunan (at intersection of Grant and Green) one weekend a few years ago.  If someone would pay for any of the three dinners (to take out the cost factor) and I had to choose one- it would be Henry's Hunan.  Smoked Pork with Vegetables. That one dish had more flavor than all eight or nine at the Laundry and it was an absolutely fabulous taste.  One or three Central Texas BBQ places were almost as good.

The sign on the bar on one of the other corners was an illuminated $50 bill (get it? ---Grant and Green).

On 4/8/2019 at 10:55 AM, HornPhD said:

Trader Vic's in Emeryville (across the bay)

From Woody Allen:

Past successful campaigns suggested instantly the proper route to take. I 
would steer her to Trader Vic's, that dimly lit, foolproof Polynesian den of 
delights where dark, promising corners abounded and deceptively mild rum 
drinks quickly unchained the fiery libido from its dungeon. A pair of Mai 
Tai's and it would be anybody's ball game. A hand on the knee. A sudden 
uninhibited kiss. Fingers intertwined. The miraculous booze would work its 
dependable magic. It had never failed me in the past. Even when the un-
suspecting victim pulled back with eyebrows arched, one could back out 
gracefully by imputing all to the effects of the island brew.
"Forgive me," I could alibi, "I'm just so zonked by this drink. I don't 
know what I'm doing."
  • Like 1