2018 Beer

HenryJames

Any Trader Joe's shoppers here? I love the tall-boy cans of Oranjebloom and Peter's Brand Classics. 

6 16oz cans for $7 at %5 ABV and they are both super drinkable. 

Not particularly interesting but a good game-day beer for the price. 

Edited by ztejas
Both Dutch Imports I beleive

10 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Got that one at Hancock HEB.

Thanks.  I checked HEB Lakeline a few days ago and they didn't have it, which is odd because that HEB is usually right on top of things.  They have one slot for White in bottles and one for White in cans, maybe that's why they're not stocking it on the shelf yet. They did have the coffee porter stacked in a sort-of endcap display.

12 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I mean, if you don't like Belgian Tripels, then you're not going to like it, because it's a very good example of one.

Belgian beers are my favorite, and I really like it.

And it's not over the top sweet like a lot of them are. I'm looking at you La Fin Du Monde.

A little help with something I'm working on: What have been yalls favorite local (Austin) seasonal beers this year? (caveat: the beer has to have been distro'd/packaged)

A few of mine that I dug/still digging this year:

• Real Ale  Swifty
  • Zilker 3rd Space IPA
  • Live Oak Gold (yall prolly dig Primus more tho, right?)
  • Jester King Montmorency v Balaton BA Cherry Sour
  • Austin Beerworks Super Awesome Helles
  • Hi Sign Violet Blueberry Blonde

What were some of your favorites?

1 hour ago, Bottlecap said:

A little help with something I'm working on: What have been yalls favorite local (Austin) seasonal beers this year? (caveat: the beer has to have been distro'd/packaged)

• Real Ale  Swifty
  • Zilker 3rd Space IPA

Gold and Primus. Sputnik. Celis Coffee Porter. 3rd Space. Real Ale's Coffee Porter. Fall seasonals rule all.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 8:57 AM, PvilleStang said:

Dude, that top 50 wasn't written by Bottle Cap, doesn't mean shit.

Also, had a New Belgium HPA over the summer, have yet to see it since.  Anyone else tried it?  (Hemp Pale Ale, quite aromatic)

I had a few 6 packs of Hemperor this summer, and enjoyed it.

More than once after I cracked and poured it, someone at the gathering thought someone was getting weed out.

In New York for the weekend and, as always, the rule is that I only partake of beers that I can’t get back home. Really great stuff here (which I’m thinking is probably true everywhere these days). Have already had on tap beers from Other Half, Grimm, District 96 and Singlecut among others. An added bonus is going somewhere and finding they get distribution of a beer you always wanted to try. That was finally getting to try Sip of Sunshine by Lawson’s. May end up going by Other Half Brewing tomorrow while I’m already in Brooklyn as they have several cans they are releasing. A little worried about a line (ain’t nobody got time for that) though my impression/understating is that the lines are usually in the morning and shouldn’t be a thing in the afternoon. We shall see.

Beer nerd out.

• Like 1

See if you can find any industrial arts while up here.

I actually meant to mention them above and neglected to do so:

0db810a116c00bd703be2aa318439f80.jpg

Really good stuff. Actually picked up some of their single cans last night along with some other stuff from a place called Clinton Gourmet nearby. Great selection.

Also, had to have another Sip of Sunshine while I’m here.

0823df836584178805b4153e5cb5a6a3.jpg

• Real Ale  Swifty
  • Zilker 3rd Space IPA

I don’t know if Pinthouse Nomura is considered seasonal or occasional but it is phenomenal.

I actually meant to mention them above and neglected to do so:

0db810a116c00bd703be2aa318439f80.jpg

Really good stuff. Actually picked up some of their single cans last night along with some other stuff from a place called Clinton Gourmet nearby. Great selection.

Also, had to have another Sip of Sunshine while I’m here.

0823df836584178805b4153e5cb5a6a3.jpg

Bravo. I love about five minutes south of their brewery. It’s been fun to watch them grow.

On 12/5/2018 at 8:50 PM, Okie State said:

Finally saw barrel aged Ten Fidy in cans yesterday. Couldn't pull the trigger at $14/can though.

I'm still hoping to run across the St. Arnold's French Press. No luck so far.

HEB on Rayford/Grand PKWY in Spring had the French press, Prairie Double Stuft, Goose Island Bourbon barrel Stout.

All i wanted was some fucking Primus.  Why is it so gotdam hard to find?

HEB on Rayford/Grand PKWY in Spring had the French press, Prairie Double Stuft, Goose Island Bourbon barrel Stout.
All i wanted was some fucking Primus.  Why is it so gotdam hard to find?
HEB out by me was fully stocked with Primus last weekend. I've never really seemed it out before so I don't know if that's normal or not.

Dallas beer nerds: get your ass to Celestial Beerworks. Opened roughly a month ago and I understand is the former brewer at Malai Kitchen (which if you never went is a Thai/Vietnamese restaurant in the West Village that happened to brew their own shockingly good NE IPAs among other beers in house).

Stopped by this afternoon after work to check it out. It’s located very close to Parkland and all of the development around there which I realize I would otherwise never have a reason to go by. I did 2 different samplers of 3 beers each (went all IPA...no big surprise) and all were crazy good.

I read a review that summed it up perfectly: if you live in Dallas and love Turning Point in Bedford (I most certainly do) but don’t want to drive that far, this is your place. One of the reasons I don’t mind driving out to Bedford to go to Turning Point from time to time is that, beyond tasting there great beers out there, you can also take home their weekly new canned beers. Celestial is still currently lacking in this department but the bartender told me they will be canning soon (12 ouncers based on their canning line).

Highly recommended from this insufferable beer nerd.

5c959acae190f786d16e137b66a6c5a8.jpg

57becbe195c1eb6899c817b59373daac.jpg

96ee87e2ae30c63a2aa668f149e5a2b8.jpg

2238bb35205ecacd6029330fb4d1cfaf.jpg

4702d2fd64ab1c367396b3f742ec1c3f.jpg

6d43944e43fbbe05532f0f497e4dc276.jpg

However, they do offer 32 oz crowlers so mdmost and I are set for our Big 12 Championship game watching thirst quenchers...

cd374cb9bf6e00e3bec07da131a3ece9.jpg

5b9e746bdca0dfa70f50e4a201aa0528.jpg
This place is great.
  • Like 1