2018 Beer

HenryJames

Pinthouse Pizza on S. Lamar.  Get the Electric Jellyfish (IPA).   They'll have some other stuff that will appease the wife.  You can always check http://pinthousepizza.com/lamar/beer/live-tap-feed to see their current beer lineup. 

Not too far from them is The ABGB.  Good pizza, good beer, and usually some live music playing.  Beer list here https://theabgb.com/beers/.   I believe they have wine too  your dad/his wife.

There is a solid selection of beer in Austin now - San Antonio, not so much.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm a fan of IPAs (not that into lactose IPAs) and pilsners, wife is into sours and cider.

Whaddaya got?

Pinthouse does the best IPAs in town, IMO.  Either location is solid. Electric Jellyfish is only at the south location. There are many more IPAs like Training Bines & Fully Adrift, the GABF Alpha King Gold Medal winner, and 2-3 others at the original location.  Nearly all of the brewing capacity at the south location is used to make Jellyfish.  If you end up at the original location, ask them for Jellyfish. Some of the beertenders get hilariously frustrated at that question since you can get it at every bar and restaurant on the street except at Pinthouse.  If the south happens to have Nomura, the double IPA version of Jellyfish, go for it. It's my favorite beer in Austin. I wish it was brewed year round.

Edited by CooterBrown

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Gonna be in the Austin/SA area about a month from now and need some local beer recs.

I'm a fan of IPAs (not that into lactose IPAs) and pilsners, wife is into sours and cider.  Dad and his wife will be along and they don't really drink beer (wine/liquor) but will go for something mild and refreshing.

Whaddaya got?

Pinthouse Pizza in Austin makes great IPAs,  There are two locations, one north and one south.

Live Oak Brewery in Austin near the airport makes my favorite pilsner in the USA.  It's a Czech-style called Live Oak Pilz.  They also make a fantastic hefeweizen, and some really interested beers using smoked malts including a Polish Grodziskie.

Jester King makes really good sours/lambic style beers, it's what they're known for far and wide.

I don't know anything about ciders, not really my thing, but if you'd like to know about a full-bodied, malty, autumnal mead, let me know...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've traded for many a Jester King in the past, but I'm not sure that we'll get out that way.  

It's a fun place to go but yeah, it's a bit of a drive.  As others mentioned, ABGB is relatively close to the South location of Pinthouse, and none of that is too far from the airport where you could get to Live Oak.

If you're more north, though, you could hit the north location of Pinthouse,  and then Celis Brewery and Austin Beer Works are very close to one another as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, deft said:

Yeah that looks a lot more legit and less sterile than the other corporate ass place.

And like the kind of place where you can sit, have a beer, and talk to people.

Toppling Goliath went off the deep end into one of those slick massive corporate tap rooms, and I think I've been there twice because the atmosphere sucks.

Saw Anchor Christmas at HEB Lakeline today.

For the longest time, my favorites have always been Sam Smith's Winter Welcome and Young's Winter Warmer.  But with the explosion of American craft beer, and specifically American craft winter seasonals, those have become a lot harder to come by.  Spec's and Total Wine usually have a few, but I rarely find them on the shelves of even a well-sorted grocery store these days.

Oh, and one of the few Sam Adams beers I REALLY like, is their Winter Lager.  Picked up a 6 of that today, along with some more Primus which serves pretty well as a winter seasonal, too.

• Like 2

winter warmer/christmas ale check in.

st arnolds

legal holiday

breckenridge christmas

cant find jubleale or anchor yet...anyone?

any others to add to the list? 

several good ones already listed. the only Great Divide beer i buy all year is their winter warmer, Hibernation. love that beer.

also, didn’t see it above, and not a malt-forward beer, but Sierra Nevada Celebration should be in every beer drinker’s fridge this time of year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

several good ones already listed. the only Great Divide beer i buy all year is their winter warmer, Hibernation. love that beer.

also, didn’t see it above, and not a malt-forward beer, but Sierra Nevada Celebration should be in every beer drinker’s fridge this time of year.

Also Brasserie Dupont’s Avec Les Bons Voeux.

7 hours ago, chesthair said:

winter warmer/christmas ale check in.

st arnolds

legal holiday

breckenridge christmas

cant find jubleale or anchor yet...anyone?

any others to add to the list? 

Got Anchor Crimas  at Specs about a week ago.

Found 1 sixer of Primus at my HEB the next day and snagged it.  have not seen any more since.

10 hours ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

but how was denver?

A blur. Also, like any trip where you just eat, drink, and hike, makes you wanna move there.

Its hilarious how anyone in Texas or even a place like Austin thinks that the brewpub market is anywhere close to saturation. Sure, regional breweries are a thing of the past (for now), but nothing beats a neighborhood brewpub that sells 96% of what they brew in-house. Thats the kind of city I want to live in. Austin is as far away from being that kind of city as we are from colonizing Pluto. Our bnb was two blocks from Prost, so that was rad. Also, Our Mutual Friend might have been my favorite overall experience bw beer/taproom vibe. I didn't get to like a half dozen of the places I wanted to get to though. Denver is cool man. And Texas needs to legalize it.

Dallas beer nerds: get your ass to Celestial Beerworks. Opened roughly a month ago and I understand is the former brewer at Malai Kitchen (which if you never went is a Thai/Vietnamese restaurant in the West Village that happened to brew their own shockingly good NE IPAs among other beers in house).

Stopped by this afternoon after work to check it out. It’s located very close to Parkland and all of the development around there which I realize I would otherwise never have a reason to go by. I did 2 different samplers of 3 beers each (went all IPA...no big surprise) and all were crazy good.

I read a review that summed it up perfectly: if you live in Dallas and love Turning Point in Bedford (I most certainly do) but don’t want to drive that far, this is your place. One of the reasons I don’t mind driving out to Bedford to go to Turning Point from time to time is that, beyond tasting there great beers out there, you can also take home their weekly new canned beers. Celestial is still currently lacking in this department but the bartender told me they will be canning soon (12 ouncers based on their canning line).

Highly recommended from this insufferable beer nerd.

5c959acae190f786d16e137b66a6c5a8.jpg

57becbe195c1eb6899c817b59373daac.jpg

96ee87e2ae30c63a2aa668f149e5a2b8.jpg

2238bb35205ecacd6029330fb4d1cfaf.jpg

4702d2fd64ab1c367396b3f742ec1c3f.jpg

6d43944e43fbbe05532f0f497e4dc276.jpg

However, they do offer 32 oz crowlers so mdmost and I are set for our Big 12 Championship game watching thirst quenchers...

cd374cb9bf6e00e3bec07da131a3ece9.jpg

• Like 3

Dallas beer nerds: get your ass to Celestial Beerworks. Opened roughly a month ago and I understand is the former brewer at Malai Kitchen (which if you never went is a Thai/Vietnamese restaurant in the West Village that happened to brew their own shockingly good NE IPAs among other beers in house).

Stopped by this afternoon after work to check it out. It’s located very close to Parkland and all of the development around there which I realize I would otherwise never have a reason to go by. I did 2 different samplers of 3 beers each (went all IPA...no big surprise) and all were crazy good.

I read a review that summed it up perfectly: if you live in Dallas and love Turning Point in Bedford (I most certainly do) but don’t want to drive that far, this is your place. One of the reasons I don’t mind driving out to Bedford to go to Turning Point from time to time is that, beyond tasting there great beers out there, you can also take home their weekly new canned beers. Celestial is still currently lacking in this department but the bartender told me they will be canning soon (12 ouncers based on their canning line).

However, they do offer 32 oz crowlers so mdmost and I are set for our Big 12 Championship game watching thirst quenchers...

I had their new batch NE IPA last night. Kepler. It’s really good.

For the Texas-OU game and SECCCG, I have had:

Shiner Cheer

Anchor Christmas

Southern Star Winter Warmer

8th Wonder Weissheimer

Boddington's Pub Ale

Saint Arnold's Christmas Ale

a pound of bacon, some spinach, heirloom tomatoes, some Gorgonzola, pecans, and ranch dressing.

more Christmas beer to go. Fuck yo sobriety...

On 11/29/2018 at 10:26 PM, slorch said:

Got Anchor Crimas  at Specs about a week ago.

Found 1 sixer of Primus at my HEB the next day and snagged it.  have not seen any more since.

I haven’t seen Primus via perusing the usual spots in H-town... asked the dude stocking beer at Whole Foods 365 for it and sure enough they had it in the back so he retrieved it...so tasty!

2 hours ago, slorch said:

For the Texas-OU game and SECCCG, I have had:

Shiner Cheer

Anchor Christmas

Southern Star Winter Warmer

8th Wonder Weissheimer

Boddington's Pub Ale

Saint Arnold's Christmas Ale

a pound of bacon, some spinach, heirloom tomatoes, some Gorgonzola, pecans, and ranch dressing.

more Christmas beer to go. Fuck yo sobriety...

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been on a coffee stout /porter kick lately.

Real ale

Celis

Santa fe

Deep ellum

Something from Sweetwater brewing that was part of a mix pack.

And an imperial from lorelai brewing.

I liked  all but Celis which was tasted too much like black coffee.  But I like my dark beers on the sweet side.

On 11/30/2018 at 8:44 PM, mdleast said:

Went to high school with Matt Reynolds... he knows his shit in regards to beer

Started off Saturday with two flights at Brewtorium. That place is gigantic. Some solid beers and some unmemorable, but easily drinkable, ones.  Space Laser & Moral Imperative were really tasty.

Then went to Lala's and had 7 Sierra Nevada Hop Bullet double IPAs and a terrible Circle Black IPA.  For the first time in my life, I had a bartender tell me no more. 

Finished the night vomiting and wishing I'd gone to the ER.  I don't think I've drank that much since around '99. I now have a self imposed 3 beer limit. 

Edited by CooterBrown