Lent

MoJames

When I was in my late teens, I heard that you can break your Lenten fast on Sundays during Lent.  I can't remember the reasoning, but it seems contrary to the whole 40 day fast idea.  It's not like Jesus got manna from heaven every Sunday he was in the desert.

https://www.catholic.org/featured/headline.php?ID=180

Even when the US Bishops made it no longer required to abstain from meat on all the other Fridays of the year, they never intended that the Catholic faithful should discontinue this practice. What they hoped was that people would continue to do it out of their love for God and not because they had to, and also to give us an opportunity to deny ourselves in other ways. Friday has never ceased to be a day of penance and self-denial, and abstaining from meat on that day is given first place, because it was on a Friday that our Lord died for our sins. Every Friday is a day to prepare for Sunday - the day that, for us who believe, is Easter every week of the year. And Sunday is never a day of fasting (not even during Lent). It is the glorious Day of the Lord!

Edited by hopkinsnhorns

6 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I become an asshole that I’m not in real life when I post here. That especially manifests itself on the mess that is the Cloak Room and on the Caravan thread in particular. I don’t like what I become there. I’m giving up on posting here for the remainder of Lent because I don’t act like God how would want me to act. I’m sure lots of y’all would like it if I never came back. Football season is too much of a pull for me to remain silent forever :) giving up something and taking on a new discipline is what I’m looking to do. I will probably incorporate some fasting and morning prayer by reading the daily office. I will leave y’all with this:

Ephesians 4:29 - 5:2

29 Let no evil talk come out of your mouths, but only what is useful for building up, as there is need, so that your words may give grace to those who hear. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with which you were marked with a seal for the day of redemption. 31 Put away from you all bitterness and wrath and anger and wrangling and slander, together with all malice, 32 and be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ has forgiven you.
Chapter 5
1 Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children, 2 and live in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

or you could just quit posting in cloakroom?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

When I was in my late teens, I heard that you can break your Lenten fast on Sundays during Lent.  I can't remember the reasoning, but it seems contrary to the whole 40 day fast idea.  It's not like Jesus got manna from heaven every Sunday he was in the desert.

https://www.catholic.org/featured/headline.php?ID=180

sundays are feast days, not fast days.  count the number of days from today until easter sunday.  subtract the 6 sundays. 

7 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I become an asshole that I’m not in real life when I post here. That especially manifests itself on the mess that is the Cloak Room and on the Caravan thread in particular. I don’t like what I become there. I’m giving up on posting here for the remainder of Lent because I don’t act like God how would want me to act.

I know that feelin', bro. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

8 year old sugar-deprived me would be pissed to have been sheltered from this knowledge.

i didn't know this until a couple years back, either.  but then again, we never fasted anyway.  pepperoni pizza every friday.

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Someday, somebody explain to me how fish is not made of meat.  What exactly are we eating when we eat fish if not the meat of an animal?  

some different reasons, but one major one is that it was less about 'meat' and more about indulgences.  beef/lamb/chicken were for the rich.  fish was an everyday food.  

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm the greatest musical genius of our time.

TIL: Mencia loved the portrayal and told everyone to catch the rerun. Kanye was "hurt," and dissed South Park's writers in not one but two songs afterwards. This despite the fact that the episode was much meaner to Mencia than it was to Kanye...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

TIL: Mencia loved the portrayal and told everyone to catch the rerun. Kanye was "hurt," and dissed South Park's writers in not one but two songs afterwards. This despite the fact that the episode was much meaner to Mencia than it was to Kanye...

I think Mencia is more desperate to repair his image, as he definitely took a financial hit over the years.  Kanye is still loaded and making money.  I think they're both insane (listen to the epsiodes of WTF with Marc Maron that Mencia did), but that just shows how far off the reservation Kanye is.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think Mencia is more desperate to repair his image, as he definitely took a financial hit over the years.  Kanye is still loaded and making money.  I think they're both insane (listen to the epsiodes of WTF with Marc Maron that Mencia did), but that just shows how far off the reservation Kanye is.

...or how close to the mark the satire hit.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

The Cathaholic church classifiies capybara as a fish for dietary purposes. The world's largest rodent is commonly eaten during Lent in Venezuela. "It's delicious," one restaurant owner told the New York Sun in 2005.  Also acceptable are beaver, muskrat, and alligator.  

For a faith not terribly rooted in science, they're suddenly marine biologists walking the halls of the Vatican?  A Muskrat is fish?  Really?  That's what they're going with?  Ducks spend way more time in the water than Muskrats do, how come we can't have duck on Friday?  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

For a faith not terribly rooted in science, they're suddenly marine biologists walking the halls of the Vatican?  A Muskrat is fish?  Really?  That's what they're going with?  Ducks spend way more time in the water than Muskrats do, how come we can't have duck on Friday?  

There was probably a medieval pope whose family owned a fish business and that started the fish rule.  This caused the butchers selling beef, pork, and chicken to adopt the phrase, "Something's fishy".

1 hour ago, Harrison Stafford said:

There was probably a medieval pope whose family owned a fish business and that started the fish rule.  This caused the butchers selling beef, pork, and chicken to adopt the phrase, "Something's fishy".

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/04/05/150061991/lust-lies-and-empire-the-fishy-tale-behind-eating-fish-on-friday

• Like 1

Fasting from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday would be more Jesus-like, but you do you. Like you, I’d rather just fast on a Friday than eat Muskrat.  

23 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

I could eat lobster on Fridays. Actually I have done that, at Fort Sam, they served lobster. 

I just don't eat on Fridays. I figure that's more authentic and a better representation of the 40 days.

Imitation crabmeat is good every day in Lent.