Lent

MoJames

Okay, so what am I missing here?

Easter of course is set on the date of the first Sunday after the first full moon on or after the Vernal Equinox.

So for this year/month, the full moon is tonight (March 20).  And today, the Vernal Equinox happens at about 5 p.m. CT.  So the first Sunday after full moon/Equinox by every Casio calculator I own should be this coming one, March 24 right?

What happened?  Why did they skip over this event and wait until the next full moon etc.?  I know there's math involved, but "on or after" is today's full moon, not April 19?

Did they fuck it up? Do they still "officially" recognize March 21 as "the first day of spring" even though that's often not true, and certainly in this year's case, isn't? Has God left us?  Has the Rapture occurred?  Am I left here with all you assholes?  Sumbody please tell me!  Obviously I'm in error... but how?

Edited by phdhorn

Let me help you out - because it isn't when the Equinox is, it is when the Church observes the Equinox

In 2019, both the vernal equinox—the official start of astronomical spring—and the full Moon are on Wednesday, March 20. The full Moon—cresting at 9:43 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time—follows the spring equinox by less than four hours.

On religious calendars, the first full moon of spring is called the “Paschal Full Moon” and, traditionally, Easter is observed on the Sunday after the Paschal Full Moon. (If the Paschal Moon occurs on a Sunday, Easter lands on the subsequent Sunday.)

Following these rules, the full Moon on March 20 (the first full Moon of spring) should be the “Paschal Full Moon.” So, why isn’t Easter on Sunday, March 24? As it turns out, to make things a little simpler for the Christian Church calendars, the spring equinox was determined to always be fixed on March 21. (In reality, the equinox can happen on March 19, 20, or 21.)

Given this, the first full Moon after March 21 doesn’t occur until April 19 this year. That means …Easter will be celebrated on Sunday, April 21. 

As mentioned above, Easter can fall as early as March 22 and as late as April 25.  So, now we have a rather late Easter!

The full Moon in April (on the 19th) will occur on the Good Friday this year. Passover also begins on the 19th.

"Because I said so" - Pope something something, a long time ago

• 3 weeks later...

Now that my wife is nursing, I see the exemptions include children, elderly, pregnant, nursing, and manual laborers 

so basically, the Irish can still eat meat on fridays.  Which works out well so they can get to packing before the heavy drinking. 

This fucking guy--

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/discover/man-who-swapped-food-for-beer-during-lent-loses-26lbs-in-20-days-913544.html

A man who has replaced food with beer during Lent claims he lost nearly two stone in 20 days.

Del Hall is the director of sales at Fifty West Brewing Company – he has spent nearly three weeks drinking between two and five pints a day in an effort to break his “addiction to food”.

And while he said the diet is not driven by religion, it is inspired in part by a story of Bavarian monks who supposedly drank beer to help them through their Lenten fast.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Surly ruling.......good to go on vices ON Good Friday, After 5pm? After Midnight or After Easter Sunday......

I have a steak that really needs to know

So, here's what I can tell.

• If you fasted every day except for Sunday, then 40 days ends on Saturday evening.
  • If you're Catholic, Lent ends short of that, on Thursday evening. (Even if you took Sundays off, apparently?)
  • If you observed for 40 days straight -- didn't take Sundays off -- then you're good to go as of 2 days ago.

I didn't take breaks on Sundays, so I'm good to go now.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

So, here's what I can tell.

• If you fasted every day except for Sunday, then 40 days ends on Saturday evening.
  • If you're Catholic, Lent ends short of that, on Thursday evening. (Even if you took Sundays off, apparently?)
  • If you observed for 40 days straight -- didn't take Sundays off -- then you're good to go as of 2 days ago.

I didn't take breaks on Sundays, so I'm good to go now.

That's one anal retentive god you've got there. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Ash Wednesday and the start of Lent today. I look forward to Lent every year. I have tried to avoid what I considered to be the cliche thing to give up - sweets. Well, I’m giving up sweets this year and committing to improving my health with increased exercise and taking better stewardship of God’s loving creation of mortal body that I have been given. I am a very flawed person but the season of discipline, repentance, reflection and fasting puts things in perspective in how I can be a better Christian and not being as much of an asshole that I can be. What are y’all taking on or fasting from in Lent 2022.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Ash Wednesday and the start of Lent today. I look forward to Lent every year. I have tried to avoid what I considered to be the cliche thing to give up - sweets. Well, I’m giving up sweets this year and committing to improving my health with increased exercise and taking better stewardship of God’s loving creation of mortal body that I have been given. I am a very flawed person but the season of discipline, repentance, reflection and fasting puts things in perspective in how I can be a better Christian and not being as much of an asshole that I can be. What are y’all taking on or fasting from in Lent 2022.

That's some meaningful shit right there.  Now THAT's how you do Lent.  Best wishes with your goals there, my friend.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Oh gotdammit.

now i can see God is working thru you to show me that Im just goin thru the motions and am actually not ‘sacrificing’ which is in the end just costing me being the version of the person i could be in His image.

I seriously and in all honesty was going to give up pizza or some shit the kids would go for and think was a big deal.

OK, God. Shit!! It probably didn’t help matters that i gave my little girl a lecture on ‘want’ a few days ago. I’ll try and sacrifice and find some service or something too. 

Fuck!

@Macklemore just had to post today in the Lent thread. Not tomorrow. 

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Hook 'Em 2