Texas @ Stanford series

TheBryMan81

1 minute ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Baseball IQ of zero. The dumbass should have been called out on Ellis’ SAC for not sliding. Getting picked off is simply unforgivable. 

I’m beginning to wonder if Pierce teaches anything about fundamentals ...

Is a bit worrisome.  We have had to press a lot of freshmen into service, more than I can recall maybe ever.  But Augie's freshmen tended not to be conspicuously awful.

Just now, Machinator said:

Can you guys stop being little bitches about the coaching every time something goes wrong? Sometimes, freshmen screw up.

If we're still having issues late in the season or next year, then yeah, we can start asking tough questions.

The main thing that worries me is the passed balls and wild pitches. The defense will clear up as we find the right people at the right positions...but I am not sure we can clean that business with the catchers up. We will see.

What year was it that (wasn't it true frosh)Huston played some 3B because it was so bad at the hot corner?  I'm trying to remember but didn't that year end up pretty damn well?  Like it was the year Street ended up saving every time he pitched in the CWS and in the finals against SCarolina?  /positive thinking  

There are a lot of positives to go with some definite negatives.  Horns need to get this one done and see about winning tomorrow as well.  Pierce will get it solved.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Can you guys stop being little bitches about the coaching every time something goes wrong? Sometimes, freshmen screw up.

If we're still having issues late in the season or next year, then yeah, we can start asking tough questions.

That's fair, but it's also somewhat fair to wonder what happens when a relative no-name such as Pierce takes over after nearly 50 years of two of the greatest coaches in the game, particularly when the most recent one apparently prized defense in recruiting and development over all else.

Just now, zork said:

What year was it that (wasn't it true frosh)Huston played some 3B because it was so bad at the hot corner?  I'm trying to remember but didn't that year end up pretty damn well?  Like it was the year Street ended up saving every time he pitched in the CWS and in the finals against SCarolina?  /positive thinking  

There are a lot of positives to go with some definite negatives.  Horns need to get this one done and see about winning tomorrow as well.  Pierce will get it solved.

It was 2003.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

That's fair, but it's also somewhat fair to wonder what happens when a relative no-name such as Pierce takes over after nearly 50 years of two of the greatest coaches in the game, particularly when the most recent one apparently prized defense in recruiting and development over all else.

Gus was a no name successful high school coach.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Perhaps you’ll enlighten us as to who’s responsible for teaching fundamentals?

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Can we get your approval to bitch about players when they screw up? 

Asking for a friend..

Edited by HuntinHorn

1 minute ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Ummmm .. perhaps the best HS coach in Texas. 

Yes, but he was a high school coach nonetheless, never coached at any level of college. It's bull shit to project someones HOF career on to someone that is still writing theirs. If you compare where each Pierce and Gus were at the time each took over at Texas, Pierce has way more skin on the wall.

7 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Gus was a no name successful high school coach.

That was 51 years ago, so I won't count it.  Were there any big name college baseball coaches other than Dedeaux then?  Maybe Pierce picks up where Augie left off in every respect.  Last year, pitching staff and management looked a little iffy, but looking kinda good so far, but now the defense looks a little iffy.  Who knows.

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Yes, but he was a high school coach nonetheless, never coached at any level of college. It's bull shit to project someones HOF career on to someone that is still writing theirs. If you compare where each Pierce and Gus were at the time each took over at Texas, Pierce has way more skin on the wall.

I wasn’t projecting shit .. just policing up the “no name” BS. Look up Gus’s HS skins. 

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn